The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man

Old 11-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #26
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man: Tie it in with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

I wonder if Disney Marvel's Spider-Man would've been more fantastical or if they just would've gone the "let's add realism" way as well

TheWallCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #27
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man: Tie it in with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

I think it would have had pretty much the same style as all the other Marvel films

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #28
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Truth be told, imo TASM's tone, especially from the second half is not too far from the Marvel films tone

TheWallCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #29
iGiFF
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
There would be no point with having a hero being in the MCU and not being apart of the Avengers as we see every established hero in The Avengers except for War Machine.

Let alone, you're right...OsCorp Tower WAS going to be featured, but since it's not, Spidey is still not in the MCU. And I really hope he's never in it.
Why would there be no point? It helps to expand the MCU beyond just The Avengers, and in the Marvel comics there are plenty of stand alone heroes that rarely if ever cross paths with others. Let me ask you a question, if OsCorp had shown up in The Avengers and Spider-Man was undoubtedly in the MCU, would you have been fine with that as long as he didn't join The Avengers or have any team ups?

iGiFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #30
Oscorp
Side-Kick

It just wouldn't make sense to have Spidey in MCU with no signs of any other hero, enemy or destruction in ASM

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #31
iGiFF
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWallCrawler View Post
Truth be told, imo TASM's tone, especially from the second half is not too far from the Marvel films tone
Yeah, that's another reason I always thought TASM would fit well. It has a serious tone, but with lighthearted moments like the MCU films. I recall an interview a while back with Kevin Feige, where he said Marvel Studios had more involvement with TASM then any other film outside there properties... with that, I always thought he was hinting it was in the MCU, and back then he probably expected OsCorp would be in The Avengers.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #32
iGiFF
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
It just wouldn't make sense to have Spidey in MCU with no signs of any other hero, enemy or destruction in ASM
I would actually like that, somewhat. It helps to make the MCU feel larger.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #33
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Regardless of the intentions, OsCorp never showed up in The Avengers, so they may as well leave this Spidey in MCU nonsense alone.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #34
iGiFF
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
Regardless of the intentions, OsCorp never showed up in The Avengers, so they may as well leave this Spidey in MCU nonsense alone.
I wouldn't discount TASM being in the MCU yet. Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach said they want to work something out with Marvel so easter eggs can appear in the sequel, and obviously they can do it. I also thought it was interesting when the news broke that Spidey was getting a new costume in TASM2, that Columbia Pictures and MARVEL STUDIOS wanted the costume change.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #35
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Even if the characters themselves never cross paths, I'd absolutely love small easter eggs that hint at a shared universe. Even if it's something small, like when Jonah mentioned Dr. Strange.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #36
iGiFF
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Even if the characters themselves never cross paths, I'd absolutely love small easter eggs that hint at a shared universe. Even if it's something small, like when Jonah mentioned Dr. Strange.
That's what Sony and Marvel apparently agreed to do. The film rights prohibit the characters showing up in each others movies, but they can use sets and props. Arad and Tolmach made that clear.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #37
chaseter
Bland User

It's going to happen sooner or later.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #38
GRangerPrimeNYC
AgentGodzillaRangerPrime

Quote:
There would be no point with having a hero being in the MCU and not being apart of the Avengers as we see every established hero in The Avengers except for War Machine.

Let alone, you're right...OsCorp Tower WAS going to be featured, but since it's not, Spidey is still not in the MCU. And I really hope he's never in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGiFF View Post
Why would there be no point? It helps to expand the MCU beyond just The Avengers, and in the Marvel comics there are plenty of stand alone heroes that rarely if ever cross paths with others. Let me ask you a question, if OsCorp had shown up in The Avengers and Spider-Man was undoubtedly in the MCU, would you have been fine with that as long as he didn't join The Avengers or have any team ups?
True, I don't see why people hate the idea so much. Also, why does the MCU have to only be limited to heroes from the Avengers? Rather closed minded don't ya think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Lets hope they do this in the sequels before its too late d:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Lets hope, since it's more likely than Fox sharing their stuff.

Rather pathetic, since Marvel should be able to do whatever the **** they want with their characters lol

GRangerPrimeNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #39
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
It would be no point because that's what the MCU is all about, having these heroes meet at one time and eventually team up. No reason to change the premise since that's what Phase One has been all about already.

And no, I would still not be fine even if OsCorp Tower was shown in Avengers. It would mean Spidey is in the MCU somehow, which I won't like, and that Spidey isn't even showing up in Avengers, which makes no sense, unless they squeeze Spidey into Phase Two, but as I said...I'm not a fan of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
True, but it's disappointing to realize.

And it'll kinda suck if it's not a definite Spider-Man as Webb's is not, imo.

Last edited by Anno_Domini; 11-25-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #40
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRangerPrimeNYC View Post
True, I don't see why people hate the idea so much. Also, why does the MCU have to only be limited to heroes from the Avengers? Rather closed minded don't ya think.
Close minded if only we see this idea being used with Phase One, and it didn't. Every hero shown got together in The Avengers minus War Machine.

Quote:
Lets hope, since it's more likely than Fox sharing their stuff.

Rather pathetic, since Marvel should be able to do whatever the **** they want with their characters lol
FOX isn't sharing their stuff with Marvel Studios. FOX is trying to create their own universe with the characters they own such as the Fantastic Four and X-Men.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #41
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's what Sony and Marvel apparently agreed to do. The film rights prohibit the characters showing up in each others movies, but they can use sets and props. Arad and Tolmach made that clear.
Thats the most I want,Easter eggs

Spiderdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #42
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Quote:
FOX isn't sharing their stuff with Marvel Studios. FOX is trying to create their own universe with the characters they own such as the Fantastic Four and X-Men.
I think that idea is ridiculous

Old 11-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #43
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

TASM's tone is not that different from the rest of the MCU movies. It would fit in just fine. In fact, none of the Marvel movies have the same tone to begin with (except for Iron Man and Iron Man 2, for obvious reasons). Iron Man 1 & 2 had a fun "rock" tone with many serious moments. Thor had a fantasy tone, Captain America had a period piece Indiana Jones type of tone , The Incredible Hulk had a pretty mature tone in comparison with the rest, and The Avengers had a fun yet epic-in-scale tone. TASM would fit right in.

As for whether or not I think TASM should join the movieverse, that depends on how they make this happen. If Spider-Man joining the MCU simply means that Garfield as Spider-Man is going to fight alongside the Avengers in Avengers films and that is it, that is fine by me. I would really look forward to that to happen and I'm completely sold on the idea. However, if Spider-Man joining the MCU means that we will waste precious screen time in Spider-Man's solo films to set up for Avengers and you'll get Nick Fury (or other Avengers members) appearing in Spider-Man films, then I completely reject the idea.

One of my biggest complaints with the solo MCU films is that they spent too much screen time developing and setting up Avengers as opposed to focusing more on the properties as hand. Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America were the ones that had this problem. Half of IM2 was practically an Avengers promo, Thor had way too much SHIELD in it, and Cap had his own share of his movie's time being used for setting up Avengers plus the movie itself as a whole felt like a prequel to Avengers. The time devoted to Avengers did make the hype cool and made the final product (the Avengers film) better but the solo films themselves suffered a bit due to this. IM1 and TIH were really the only solo Marvel films to not have this problem.

I do not want to see my favorite Marvel superhero and second favorite superhero overall (first being Bats) have his solo films used to develop Avengers or anything like that. It's even less acceptable to do that with Spider-Man than it is with the rest of the films they did because I can kinda understand to a degree why Marvel would devote precious screen time to Avengers in those other films, even though I'm not happy with it, but Spider-Man has a bigger universe than Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, and Cap combined plus he is known for being a loner and not a big team player/crossover type of guy. An easter egg as small as Spider-Man swinging across a Tony Stark billboard is the most I would allow for a Spider-Man movie to devote precious screen time to Avengers and other MCU properties.

Most likely, if TASM gets integrated into the MCU, Sony and Marvel will go with the latter - have Spider-Man appear in future MCU films but not have any MCU characters appear in future Spider-Man films, with maybe small little easter eggs like Spidey swinging across a Tony Stark billboard for a few seconds thrown in every now and then. It's highly unlikely for another studio to intervene with a script done by a different studio even in a situation such as this in which both studios want their properties integrated. In this case, I'm completely behind Spidey being brought into the MCU.

Shikamaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #44
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

The arguments I hear for why TASM can't exist in the MCU are all for the most part ludicrous. I would say that each person here that argues against this fall into 1 or more of these categories:

1) People who believe TASM won't fit into the MCU due to look and tone.
2) People who believe TASM wouldn't fit due to timeline, continuity, and events issues.
3) People who don't want precious screen time in Spider-Man films devoted to setting up Avengers.

I already addressed the first group. TASM's tone would fit into the MCU just fine. As for the other two, the people in these groups are making one big assumption about shared movie universes, which is that everything HAS to be directly connected and set up films for future properties. No it doesn't. Just because a film franchise automatically takes place in the same universe as another film franchise does not automatically mean that you will get tons of easter eggs and cameos shoved down your throat, or even 1 easter egg/cameo shoved down your throat. You can have a Spider-Man franchise completely focused on Spider-Man with no interference whatsoever with the MCU films and still have that Spider-Man franchise take place in the same universe as the MCU films.

People may ask "What's the point then?" The point is that you can still have a solid solo Spider-Man franchise and then have Spider-Man helping out the Avengers in Avengers 2. You can do that and and then people get their own solo Spidey franchise with no cameo appearances along with the Spider-Man integrated into the MCU films that they wished for. People then may ask "But it helps to make more money at the box office so they'll probably do that!" Although that may apply to Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, and Cap, that's because neither of them were big A-list cash cow superheroes before the MCU films (except for Iron Man, who joined that list due to the MCU films). Spider-Man is already a big cash cow and his films area already destined to make anywhere from a huge (in best case scenario) to a decent (in worst case scenario) amount of money thus he doesn't need any connections to Avengers to boost that number up. If anything, Spidey himself appearing in and being connected to the MCU films is a main factor in boosting up the sales for future MCU films. It's a stupid common belief people have about shared universes, which is that everything has to be directly connected. I hear people say the same thing about the supposedly planned DC shared movieverse. People say "Oh, no! This means all future DC movies will feature tons of cameos leading up to Avengers! This means they'll go back and add footage of superhero cameos in Man of Steel before it's released!" What exactly are you basing that on? Just because it's in a shared universe is not enough info to make that assumption.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #45
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

As for the things in TASM that apparently contradict the MCU films, they're all ridiculous stretches for the most part. The most logical reason I heard was the one with the MetLife building though even that is a bit of a stretch.

Why is none of the damage from Avengers seen in TASM, you ask? Maybe because the damage was already fixed? Maybe because we never see Spidey in those areas the Avengers fought except for maybe at night in which the damages, if they were there, would be more unseen? I don't see why it has to be that complicated. The damage was fixed. Plain and simple. Hulk's last battle in TIH also took place in NY City but you don't hear anyone ask why the damage is unseen in Avengers.

Where was Peter during the Avengers, you ask? Either he had his powers or he didn't. If he didn't have them yet, it makes sense why he wasn't there. If he did, he wasn't there because he was busy doing something else. Even if he wanted to go help, you don't exactly get from Queens to Manhattan in just a matter of minutes even if you're Spider-Man. Heck, 90% of Marvel's heroes in the comics operate in New York and no one asks where Iron Man was when Gwen got killed by GG (even though they should because the Marvel comics have way too many superheroes operating in New York, something the MCU films fixed).

Why didn't SHIELD recruit Spidey for Avengers, you ask? Either TASM and Avengers either take place in the same year (2012) or they don't. I remember Coulson or Fury saying in the film that the Avenger Initiative was scrapped "about a year ago" so when they reactivated it, they only got the people already approached for the initiative before the project got canned. Obviously Spider-Man wasn't one of those people. And even if Spider-Man was active while SHIELD was recruiting members for the Avengers, why would they select him? Spider-Man in the Marvel universe (both the comic and film verses) is just a guy in a skin tight suit that fights crooks on the street. While Batman and Superman are the top superheroes in both the DC universe and in our world, Spidey in the Marvel universe is nowhere as big as he is in the real world even though he is up there with Bats and Supes when it comes to popularity in the real world. SHIELD would look to Spider-Man as an amateur and average Joe in a pair of tights that fights street crime. He doesn't have anywhere near the amount of weight of a rich genius philanthropist with an advanced suit, a war veteran with a successful past, a God, a scientist incredible in the field of gamma radiation, or 2 expert assassins that worked with SHIELD for years.

Why didn't SHIELD stop the Lizard, you ask? Simple. They were off doing something else. Spider-Man and the Avengers are presumably not the only superpowered people that exist in the MCU and SHIELD doesn't just operate in New York. Plus, the Lizard was different from Loki. They already encountered Loki and knew he had the Cube. They already knew there was a threat coming. The Lizard came out of nowhere. No one was expecting a mass mutation to be caused across New York on that day. By the time SHIELD agents would've got there from wherever they were, everything would've already been over. Keep in mind they only got to the sight where Thor battled the Destroyer after Thor left and the distance from where the hammer was to where Thor's battle with the Destroyer occurred was presumably much shorter than the distance from the Oscorp building to wherever SHIELD was (assuming SHIELD wasn't in New York or was nowhere close to Manhattan).

Old 11-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #46
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Agree with all the points

All the Avengers except CapAm are more powerful than Spidey(IM,Thor and Hulk) and Barton and Romanoff are SHIELD's employees rather than new recruits

Its not surprising for them to ignore him.Plus they most probably couldnt deduce his identity

Old 11-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #47
Anno_Domini
Banned User

If Captain America isn't more powerful than Spider-Man, there's no way Iron Man is when Spidey can just rip off Tony's suit.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #48
GRangerPrimeNYC
AgentGodzillaRangerPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
snip
Quote:
snip
Quote:
snip
Definitely one of the best analyse of this situation so far.

GRangerPrimeNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:56 AM   #49
melvintwj
Spoder-Man

Quote:
If Captain America isn't more powerful than Spider-Man, there's no way Iron Man is when Spidey can just rip off Tony's suit.
Stronger in terms of mainly firepower, maybe. Iron Man has a huge arsenal of weapons, Spidey has web blobs lol

melvintwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:54 AM   #50
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Quote:
I say its even with IM.His punch can supposedly kill a normal man so it will heavily dent the armour,but IM has a lot of tech attached to his suit

I havent read a lot of Thor comics so I dont exactly know the extent of his powers

Hulk is definitely more powerful

I was talking about Webb's Spidey and the Heroes in MCU.Webb's Spidey doesnt seem very strong to me