Originally Posted by BMM View Post
Plus, it's a stupid idea.
That too.

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #252
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Default Re: Patrick Stewart & Ian McKellen Return for Days of Future Past

The timeline/continuity is kinda screwed throughout all the films.

Hank McCoy is blue in FC, but then seen as a normal looking human in both X1 and X2 on the news, then blue again in X3....

Old 12-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #253
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Beast wasn't In X-men.

The 30 second beast on TV was easter egg In X2.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #254
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Or it's option 3 - an alternate timeline.
Caused by what,Star Trek 2009 need time travel to change timeline.This film likely begins In future.

Some here want to have It both ways they don't want to Ignore the Last Stand
yet they want to bring everybody back without explantation.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #255
BMM
Side-Kick

Caused by the event in the past that needs preventing. I really don't think this is going to be that difficult to comprehend. If audiences can handle Inception, they can handle time travel and alternate reality concepts that have been featured in popular cinema for decades (Back to the Future, Terminator, etc).

Last edited by BMM; 12-19-2012 at 07:43 PM.
BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #256
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Some will be disappointed then.That means the events of other X-Men films are helped
Into exsistance then.

Bryan Singer has talked about connecting the films and connecting dots between films.
That's kinda hard to do If future scenes are Ilrelvent to the other films.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #257
BMM
Side-Kick

It's obviously not too hard to connect the dots, since you just did it in your own post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
That means the events of other X-Men films are helped
Into exsistance then.

Personally, I wouldn't mind it if the prevention of the alternate future also creates an alternate reality, a la Star Trek.

Last edited by BMM; 12-19-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #258
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
It's obviously not too hard to connect the dots, since you just did it in your own post.

Personally, I wouldn't mind it if the prevention of the alternate future also creates an alternate reality, a la Star Trek.
Between Marvelrobbins' bad English and your cryptic references, I'm struggling to understand all this!

Are you suggesting they could use an alternate future created by the event in the past that needs preventing.

So, once prevented, that causes... yet another alternate future, rather than the existing trilogy?

Old 12-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #259
BMM
Side-Kick

Yep. I seriously doubt that will happen, though, as it doesn't make for the best connect the dots storyline. It would, however, allow them to do whatever they want in both the dystopian future of Days of Future Past and any future sequels, whether those be First Class 2, X-Men 4, etc.

Last edited by BMM; 12-19-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #260
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Yep. I seriously doubt that will happen, though, as it doesn't make for the best connect the dots storyline. It would, however, allow them to do whatever they want in both the dystopian future of Days of Future Past and any future sequels, whether those be First Class 2, X-Men 4, etc.
Yep, seems a bit tricky. I'd imagine they want to connect the dots at one end at least - either the future is post-X3 and is changed by the prevention of the event; or the prevention of the past event leads to the original trilogy happening.

The involvement of Patrick Stewart's Xavier makes it unclear what exactly they are planning, because of the events of X3 where he is dead (until the post-credits scene).

Old 12-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #261
BMM
Side-Kick

Agreed.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #262
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

SInce The Wolverine Is suspose to tie In to someway to Days of future past,and In The Wolverine Board Hugh Jackman directly says The Wolverine Is set after The Last Stand
and basiclly confirms the Famke Janssen cameo.It leads me to think the following since Hugh Is also producer and he would have Idea from lauren Shueller Donnor what Is being
planned.

The future scenes are basiclly X4 with original Cast members.However don't expect any references to what happened In The Last Stand.Xavier alive,and Magneto and possibly Mystique and Rogue having powers aren't going to be addressed.That Is probally the best comprosie between keep the Last Stand In cannon and not adressing It's problems.

The only possibly way for James Marsden and Famke Janssen to appear In DOFP Is at very end time traveler returns to a fuutre changed where not only the fuutre with sentinles has now been prevented but events of Last Stand and possibly Origins(assuming that film Isn't just viewed as outright Ignored) have been removed due to time travel.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #263
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Bryan Singer has talked about connecting the films and connecting dots between films.
That's kinda hard to do If future scenes are Ilrelvent to the other films.
And he has also talked about exploring alternate timelines.

And just because the comic book story begins in the future it doesn't automatically mean that the film will also begin in the future.

Of course I've no idea what the movie will actually turn out to be, but to me it seems that if you're doing a story in which the characters try to make sure that a certain future does not exist, then what is the point in trying to make that future a part of the "official" continuity?

If the actions in the past do not actually change the future, then the whole X1-X3 timeline ends in a dead end with characters either all dead and living in the camps. Not very helpful if, say, they want to do X4 or another Wolverine movie.

If the actions in the past do change the future, then the X1-X3 timeline is no longer an official continuity. And who knows, maybe that's what they're aiming at, but then the argument that Singer would not be ok to leave out his older films from DoFP doesn't make much sense. Because by the end of DoFP his films will be overwritten.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #264
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

He said exploring different timelines.I watched the expanded Youtube video.He also talked about connecting dots between films.

The thing Is the dark future will likely be a possable future for the characters of original trilogy+The Wolverine If the past event Isn't changed.

Bryan Singer IS directing.That and all the talk of The Wolverine being The Iron Man equilvent in shared Fox Marvel universe makes It very unlkely they are going to wipe out
most films In series.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #265
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Quote:
Beast wasn't In X-men.

The 30 second beast on TV was easter egg In X2.

What are you talking about? Hank McCoy was on the tv in the bar where Wolverine was. He was then in X2 on tv in the bar where Mystique seduces the guard. It's the same character as seen in FC, yet in FC he has already turned blue...

Old 12-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #266
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

No he was not on TV In X-Men.Your very mistaken on that.

He was only on TV very briefly In bar In X2.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #267
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgo-13 View Post

What are you talking about? Hank McCoy was on the tv in the bar where Wolverine was. He was then in X2 on tv in the bar where Mystique seduces the guard. It's the same character as seen in FC, yet in FC he has already turned blue...
I think you are getting your Beasts mixed up.

There was indeed a Beast cameo (per se) in the first X-men movie. But it's not the Beast cameo that you might think.

The truck driver that drove Runaway & Hitch-hikin' Rogue to that bar in X-men (Rogue: "I thought You were driving me to Laughlin City." Driver: "This is Laughlin City!") was the voice actor for Beast in X-men The Animated Series. He can be seen at the bar too just before Wolverine is confronted by the bartender.

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:07 AM   #268
huzzah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Caused by what,Star Trek 2009 need time travel to change timeline.This film likely begins In future.

Some here want to have It both ways they don't want to Ignore the Last Stand
yet they want to bring everybody back without explantation.
There is another way of looking at the alternate time line theory. McKellen, Stewart and Jackman are simply playing older versions of Jackman, Fassbender and Macvoy. In that way there's no direct connection with X1 - X3 and XOW. Just a theory.

Last edited by huzzah; 12-20-2012 at 02:17 AM.
huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:29 AM   #269
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
He said exploring different timelines.I watched the expanded Youtube video.
Ah ok. Yes that's not the same thing I suppose, though it still doesn't totally exclude the possibilty of an alternate timeline.

I don't actually have an objection to the dark past being set post-X3, if they can make it work and make sense and not be lame. I'm just having difficulties seeing how they can make it work, especially now with Patrick Stewart thrown in the mix. I don't care if X3 wasn't Singer's baby, to me both ignoring X3 and the braindead twin sound like lame options.

Quote:
The thing Is the dark future will likely be a possable future for the characters of original trilogy+The Wolverine If the past event Isn't changed..
That's where I'm confused about how time is supposed to work. In the original comic it was all simple - there was a dark!future, and a past where things needed changing. Whereas with this scenario it's like trying to accommodate two pasts - the 60s and the recent past of the original trilogy, with a big gap between the two. I don't see how you can change things in a major way in the 60s past, and yet stay in the same timeline and get exactly the same events in the originaltrilogy!past right up until the point where it diverges into Sentinel!future. It'd make more sense if the crucial event was actually set after X3 - not back in the 60s.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:30 AM   #270
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

They could easily explain Beast transformations just by saying that he goes through changes throughout the years.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:12 AM   #271
josh8
Side-Kick

OMG the Hank McCoy TV thing in X2 was so inconsequential that it drives me insane when people think "it needs to be explained... he was human and not blue yet in X2!" blah blah blah.

Also, the Xavier twin thing was such a stupid idea that it should never be mentioned again in the movies. That **** works in comics (and maybe daytime soaps!) but would be the biggest eye-roll moment of the whole franchise!

OK! Rant over! Sorry guys.

josh8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:28 AM   #272
Silvermoth
Avenger

You know what would be a cool way to start off 'Days of Future Past'.

Replay the scene when Magneto walks out of the train station in the first X-men film. Remember that line...

Quote:
"Let them pass that foolish law and they'll have you locked away WITH A NUMBER BURNED INTO YOUR FOREHEAD!!!!"

"It won't be that way Erik"

"Then kill me and find out..."
...then Bang, someone, probably Charles, does kill him.

And we begin with the future.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #273
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
OMG the Hank McCoy TV thing in X2 was so inconsequential that it drives me insane when people think "it needs to be explained... he was human and not blue yet in X2!" blah blah blah.

Also, the Xavier twin thing was such a stupid idea that it should never be mentioned again in the movies. That **** works in comics (and maybe daytime soaps!) but would be the biggest eye-roll moment of the whole franchise!

OK! Rant over! Sorry guys.
Agreed on both counts.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #274
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
You know what would be a cool way to start off 'Days of Future Past'.

Replay the scene when Magneto walks out of the train station in the first X-men film. Remember that line...

...then Bang, someone, probably Charles, does kill him.

And we begin with the future.
I don't think it'd be necessary to show that scene, but it'd be very cool if they showed that it indeed happens.

Mulholland-Jr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #275
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Caused by the event in the past that needs preventing. I really don't think this is going to be that difficult to comprehend. If audiences can handle Inception, they can handle time travel and alternate reality concepts that have been featured in popular cinema for decades (Back to the Future, Terminator, etc).
Inception is different to X-Men. Inception is just 1 movie and that movie didn't have to look back at other movies so the audience would understand it.

X-Men already released 5 movies and next year it will be 6. The existence of those movies would just make it confusing if they decided to go with an alternate universe. It might also lose the casual viewers and would make the other X-Men films pointless.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote