The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 12-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #276
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Default Re: Patrick Stewart & Ian McKellen Return for Days of Future Past

It's much better Is the future Is basiclly X4 for returning characters before the time
travel plot.

Bryan Singer has talked about connecting dots between films.That can't happen If all
other films are pointless.Besides It's already been said The WOlverine In some way
connects to Days of future Past.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #277
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Inception is different to X-Men. Inception is just 1 movie and that movie didn't have to look back at other movies so the audience would understand it.
Days of Future Past doesn't have to look back at the other movies so the audience can understand the plot. My point still stands. If audiences can handle something as convoluted as Inception, they can handle X-Men meets Terminator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
X-Men already released 5 movies and next year it will be 6. The existence of those movies would just make it confusing if they decided to go with an alternate universe. It might also lose the casual viewers and would make the other X-Men films pointless.
First, my double alternate universe comment is a separate thought from what I was talking about with marvelrobbins. Second, X-Maniac is right. There is going to be an alternate universe on one end of this storyline, so you might as well get used to the idea. Either the dystopian future is going to be an alternate future, with the changed events causing the films to line up with the original trilogy OR the future is going to be post The Last Stand, with the changed events most likely undoing the original trilogy.

Last edited by BMM; 12-20-2012 at 05:12 PM.
BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #278
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Your ignoring a more obvious thing.They will use this future and time travel plot to remove The Last Stand.Furthermore with Bryan Singer directing the changes of him undoing his own films(X-Men/X2) Star Trek(which Singer Is big fan of and there are often Star Trek/X-Men similiaries) has had many stories of timelines and events being created and efforts to undo them(and occassionly time travel impacts the official history)

It Is quite likely they will want all the films(Except for Origins) to be seen as happening before this future with sentinles.And at end changing history allowes them to resuuuect James Marsden's Cyclops and Famke Janssen's Jean Grey.And to even further distance themselves from Last Stand for future films but also allowing them to do(as Star Trek 2009 did with all past Trek) that It did happen.

Lauren Shueller Donnor has talked In past about their X4 Ideas(which we know now was Days of future past) leading Into X5.Giving them opotion of another film with original cast.More films set before X_Men trilogy,and spinoff films In the present(another wolerine,Deadpool,X-force,The New Mutants)

Old 12-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #279
BMM
Side-Kick

I'm not ignoring anything. When I said the changed events will undo the original trilogy, that obviously includes The Last Stand.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #280
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

But It's unlikly they will remove all films.If they were to undo all films they would be stuck
with only being able to do films with first Class cast In future.That means no more wolverine films.Nothing with original cast members.No spinoffs Inless they are set In past too.With Bryan Singer directing very unlikely he will want to undo his own films.Plus that
doesn't jibe with talk of The Wolverine being Important to their new shared universe.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #281
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
But It's unlikly they will remove all films.If they were to undo all films they would be stuck with only being able to do films with first Class cast In future.That means no more wolverine films.Nothing with original cast members.No spinoffs Inless they are set In past too.
Well that's precisely why using an alternate universe for the dark!future makes sense. Once that possible future is averted, you can presume that everything just keeps moving along towards the events of the original trilogy, with nothing being erased or altered.

And how exactly will the time travel in the 60s undo the events of The Last Stand? In particular, the return of Jean as the Phoenix and the development of the cure? None of these can possibly have any connection with anything that happens in the 60s. Unless the time traveller also somehow drops by into the post-X2 future on their way and influences the events then, but that's just getting way silly and convoluted.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #282
BMM
Side-Kick

Theoretically, they could. Still, it makes no sense that changing an event that occurs in the 1960s would impact The Last Stand, particularly the Phoenix storyline, but not X-Men or X2.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #283
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Well that's precisely why using an alternate universe for the dark!future makes sense. Once that possible future is averted, you can presume that everything just keeps moving along towards the events of the original trilogy, with nothing being erased or altered.

And how exactly will the time travel in the 60s undo the events of The Last Stand? In particular, the return of Jean as the Phoenix and the development of the cure? None of these can possibly have any connection with anything that happens in the 60s. Unless the time traveller also somehow drops by into the post-X2 future on their way and influences the events then, but that's just getting way silly and convoluted.
It could also be argued that leaving the original trilogy intact is a bad idea because we all know the characters have a lot of misery ahead: Jean, Xavier and Scott all die, and Rogue, Mystique and Magneto are all cured (though some of those things are undone by the end of X3). Moreover, the viewers and fans know how the story ends up - and many of them don't like what happened in X3.

Could it not be the case that the 'butterfly effect' of the changes to history in the 60s mean some of the trilogy events don't happen as previously seen?

Old 12-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #284
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

It could, but it would have to make sense. You can't just arbitrarily change the future events as you like and go, well it's all because of the butterfly effect. That's just sloppy. Plus, the whole DoFP storyline is about the butterfly effect and what's at stake is rather more than just the fates of the few individual mutants in X3, so I'd assume the focus of the movie will be on preventing this apocalyptic future. For the film to then also add, oh and BTW this and this stuff in the original trilogy didn't happen as well is like a strange last-minute add-on.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:44 AM   #285
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Maybe they could change just PART of the story line?

Old 12-21-2012, 01:49 AM   #286
huzzah
Side-Kick

Quote:
But It's unlikly they will remove all films.If they were to undo all films they would be stuck
with only being able to do films with first Class cast In future.That means no more wolverine films.Nothing with original cast members.No spinoffs Inless they are set In past too.With Bryan Singer directing very unlikely he will want to undo his own films.Plus that
doesn't jibe with talk of The Wolverine being Important to their new shared universe
But have they said where this new shared filmverse starts? Does it start with the original xmen films or does it start with First Class / The Wolverine?

huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:49 AM   #287
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzah View Post
But have they said where this new shared filmverse starts? Does it start with the original xmen films or does it start with First Class / The Wolverine?
According to Miller, The Wolverine will be the Iron Man of the X-Men franchise (13 years after the movie series began), so make of that what you will.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:00 AM   #288
def28
Side-Kick

Yeah. Millar also just said that as far as he is concerned, First Class and The Wolverine are both Ground Zero for the Fox Marvel films. Im guessing those are all an audience will need to know if any. Probably will be able to follow it without seeing any of them actually.

Last edited by def28; 12-21-2012 at 03:18 AM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #289
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Suprised that Stewart is returning considering what he said about Superman Returns in Ted.

Mulholland-Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #290
Electrix
Side-Kick

Quote:
HC: You gave an interview recently in which you said you had no knowledge of the new “X-Men” movie. Any updates you might be able to share?

PS: I’m very happy to report that Bryan Singer is coming back to direct the movie. I’m very happy that my lovely friend Ian McKellen is going to be with me. I don’t know anyone else who is to be involved in the project. Maybe it’s just the two of us! That would be a movie! Magneto and Xavier’s conversations…. I’m not being cute. That’s all I know. Maybe once the holidays are over, more information will begin to come through. I have a vague idea of the time commitments, but I don’t know where we’re going to shoot. But I’m greatly looking forward to it.
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/...ywood-history/

Electrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #291
Bobby66
New User - Level 0

I'm really intrigued by Patrick Stewart's presence
For me there's two possible options
1-They keep X3: TLS in the continuity and the Professor X in this film will be this new body we see in the post-credits scene
2-They erase X3: TLS from continuity or simply ignore it but it's unlikely to happen because it's tough to try to tell an audience to forget something

I would love to see the second option but I think they're going for the first or maybe I'm completely out of the ballpark?
Ideas?

Bobby66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #292
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

If they go for 1 they won't mention onscreen about Xavier's mind In new body.Bryan Singer Is likely to avoid any reference to Last Stand.

I am advacate for 2.Making First Class,X-men,X2,The Wolverine,and now DOFP the X-Men films would solve some problems.

Some on this board have advoacated fuutre being alternate timeline unconnected to original films.But,that would be bad Idea.It would have no connection to other films
except First Class.And that's unlikely due to reports of The Wolverine(which Is post X-Men trilogy) being connected to DOFP.

Some people are never going to be happy with X-Men films as long as Fox Is making them and not disney.Fox could spend 200 Million+ making It,It get rave revieews and It would make 500 Million worldwide(250 Million domesticly and 250 Million overseas) and
still they would call It medicore and call for Disney to get rights.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #293
huzzah
Side-Kick

Quote:
If they go for 1 they won't mention onscreen about Xavier's mind In new body.Bryan Singer Is likely to avoid any reference to Last Stand.

I am advacate for 2.Making First Class,X-men,X2,The Wolverine,and now DOFP the X-Men films would solve some problems.

Some on this board have advoacated fuutre being alternate timeline unconnected to original films.But,that would be bad Idea.It would have no connection to other films
except First Class
.And that's unlikely due to reports of The Wolverine(which Is post X-Men trilogy) being connected to DOFP.

Some people are never going to be happy with X-Men films as long as Fox Is making them and not disney.Fox could spend 200 Million+ making It,It get rave revieews and It would make 500 Million worldwide(250 Million domesticly and 250 Million overseas) and
still they would call It medicore and call for Disney to get rights.
A bad idea but you're quite happy to see X3 and Wolverine Xmen origins erased from existence. That's a tough proposition as these films are still being shown.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #294
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Studios are coming out with reboots 2 or 3 years after last film(Justice League may be coming out with new Batman 3 years after the dark Knight rises)

They have done a lot of head scrating with the rebooted bond series.Keeping Judi Dench on as M for films even though her as M In last 4 films of original series was fresh In people's minds.Making Skyfall the 3rd and final part rebooted Bond's origin Into more familar Bond but also trying to make It 23rd film with Aston martin(which has little connection to First 2 craig films and some comments of new Q)

There Is little to suggest Origins Is still being considered part of cannon.They went out of way to distance the wolverine from Origins.And If they do a deadpool film In future
they have to ignore origins.

Patrick Stewert inless we get word they are Ignoring Last Stand Is playing Xavier's twin brother with Xavier's mind.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:56 AM   #295
huzzah
Side-Kick

Quote:

There Is little to suggest Origins Is still being considered part of cannon.They went out of way to distance the wolverine from Origins.And If they do a deadpool film In future
they have to ignore origins.

Patrick Stewert inless we get word they are Ignoring Last Stand Is playing Xavier's twin brother with Xavier's mind.
Just like X1 and X2 are to First Class. As for Patrick Stewart the one we see in DOFP could be from a different timeline triggered by the events of DOFP...that's if you're desperate to kick out X3.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #296
JackMercy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrix View Post
I’m very happy to report that Bryan Singer is coming back to direct the movie. I’m very happy that my lovely friend Ian McKellen is going to be with me. I don’t know anyone else who is to be involved in the project. Maybe it’s just the two of us! That would be a movie! Magneto and Xavier’s conversations…. I’m not being cute. That’s all I know. Maybe once the holidays are over, more information will begin to come through. I have a vague idea of the time commitments, but I don’t know where we’re going to shoot. But I’m greatly looking forward to it.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/...ywood-history/

"It's too late...I've seen everything."

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)
JackMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #297
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Cerebro in the films was such a good design!

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:56 AM   #298
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
Cerebro in the films was such a good design!
Yup!

Good thing the production designer of Cerebro are back for DOFP! Hopefully the time machine and whatever gadgets they include in the movie will have a good design.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #299
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

I don't know why everyone is getting so intense about this timeline nonsense. I can garuntee it will be as broadly tackled as possible to keep it comprehensible to every viewer. When all is said and done there will be space for all of us to pick and chose our preferred franchise.

Should a potential 4th X-Men film come about, I doubt it'll make any effort to disregard any previous film. However, we should be ready to accept some small incongruities with the original trilogy as wrinkles from the time alteration. They will likely only exist to enhance the film. I wouldn't be shocked if this film is the last we'll see of the original cast though.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #300
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Looking back at the first movie, there are so many continuity errors. Examples being that Charles says in X-Men that he met Eric at 17, whereas in XMFC, he clearly isn't. And don't get me started on the Kitty issue

Hawkingbird is offline   Reply With Quote