The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #326
Mulholland-Jr
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion)

I remember JP saying "They're giving their future selves head!" lol

Old 02-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #327
Double B
Side-Kick

Haha! Quite the task for Fassy.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #328
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland '49 View Post
I remember JP saying "They're giving their future selves head!" lol

I was thinking something similar but far more vulgar.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #329
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
The point Is to argue that James Mcavoy Isn't going to be Ignored on posters.I am aware halle got a lot of postive buzz for that movie and her latest film Is getting a therical release instead of going stright to DVD/Bluray.

Some try to act like James Is Ilrelvent to this film.He's one of stars of film.Xavier will almost certinly get focus of X-men In 1973 part of film.hell Xavier may even be time traveler like Kitty was In original comic.
Quote:
The point Is to argue that James Mcavoy Isn't going to be Ignored on posters.I am aware halle got a lot of postive buzz for that movie and her latest film Is getting a therical release instead of going stright to DVD/Bluray.

Some try to act like James Is Ilrelvent to this film.He's one of stars of film.Xavier will almost certinly get focus of X-men In 1973 part of film.hell Xavier may even be time traveler like Kitty was In original comic.
No one is saying that James McAvoy is irrelevant. Quite the opposite, he's playing opposite Patrick Stewart's Xavier Prime. And he's incredibly talented (and cute, lol). So he'll absolutely have a meaty role. But that doesn't mean he'll dominate the marketing materials with a large cast like this.

I'll give you an example. Look at this poster:

Notice how the bigger "star" names (Russell, Hugh and Anne) are given prominence, even though Anne was actually a supporting actress and another lead actor (Sacha Baron Cohen) is not even pictured at all! Why is Anne given priority? Because she's the more marketable face, just played Catwoman and has previously been nominated for an Oscar.

It's about star-power and what will drive audiences to theaters. Even if someone like Halle Berry has a role smaller than James McAvoy, they may opt to put her out front instead of him because:

1.) She made history as the first African American Academy Award-winning actress in a leading role

2.) She's been playing mainstream Hollywood characters for over 20-plus years and has a built-in fanbase

3.) She's this franchise's biggest female star with the highest paid salary

4.) She's played a leading role in all three of the original trilogy films

5.) She's a beautiful woman--which always pulls in female AND male demographics

6.) Most of all, she's playing one of Marvel's most popular heroine of ALL TIME.

Now what does James McAvoy have to top the above? Not nearly as much and that's not a bad thing because the guy is talented, young and up-and-coming. But he has not achieved what Hugh, Ian, Patrick, Halle, Anna, Michael Fassbender (to an extent) and now Oscar-winner Jennifer Lawrence have. And there is only so much room on the posters. And I'm not saying he won't be featured, it's just that FOX has their work cut out for them in choosing which of these actors will push this film to huge box office numbers. I think James, along with Nicholas Hoult and some of the other First Classers have short straws.

I must be fair though and say that Jennifer Lawrence has officially entered that upper echelon of A-list actors and there's no denying that.

It's all good.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #330
Lightning Strykez!

Speaking of Halle:

Looks like she's been confirmed to return (or in the process of being confirmed).

http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowand...almost-certain

Old 02-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #331
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
It could go either way. But Halle hasn't been idle either. She had a critically acclaimed film with Tom Hanks recently which critics say saw her "return to form" prior to her winning her Oscar. And she has some kind of 911-style thriller film coming up too.
Even if Halle Berry didn't have a hit movie since X3. I think she's still one of the biggest actresses in the movie industry simply because people also see her as a big celebrity. There are a lot of actresses out there who gets nominated for Oscars every year and their movies do well at the box-office but they aren't an A-list celebrity yet.

I mean for example, Amy Adams. One of my favorite actresses ever and has been nominated for Oscars four times and is going to appear in the movie Man of Steel. But is she more popular than Halle Berry? I don't think so. How about Anne Hathaway (who is also one of my fav actresses) who had a lot of hit movies in the last couple of years and recently won an Oscars this year? She is more popular than Halle Berry? Not by a huge margin.

Quote:
The question is, will Jennifer be shown on posters in her "human" non-make-up form or in blue ink?
Blue ink of course!

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #332
Lightning Strykez!

Aye, but I think Anne is on her way though.

But yeah, Halle has remained on the front covers of every magazine, tabloid, and newspaper. She's never NOT in the news.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #333
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
Nevermind the terrible floating heads, even the silhouettes are atrocious!

X3 was a terrible film IMO, but a masterclass in very good promotion. First Class was so haphazard.
When it comes to the posters of X3, I'm not a huge fan of it. I think when it comes to posters especially character posters, X2 and X1 are the best. Hopefully DOFP will give us those catchy character posters.

Quote:
Speaking of Halle:

Looks like she's been confirmed to return (or in the process of being confirmed).

http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowand...almost-certain
YAY! I hope Bryan Singer should announce this soon! Though I think they will save this announcement a few days before Halle Berry's new film comes out in theaters.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #334
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
Now what does James McAvoy have to top the above? Not nearly as much and that's not a bad thing because the guy is talented, young and up-and-coming. But he has not achieved what Hugh, Ian, Patrick, Halle, Anna, Michael Fassbender (to an extent) and now Oscar-winner Jennifer Lawrence have.
I really don't buy this. Fassbender hasn't achieved much more than what James has achieved. Both have received nominations to GG and Baftas and were almost nominated for an Oscar, both starred in small/independent British films and started getting more offers when said films were noticed in the US. Fassbender made a Ridley Scott film, James made a Danny Boyle one. Fassbender will be seen acting alongside Brad Pitt, James acted alongside Angelina Jolie and Morgan Freeman - ages before people knew who Fassbender was, actually. And James was invited to join the Academy two years ago while Fassbender hasn't, even with all the "he was robbed a nomination!" that happened around Shame.

So really, I'd like to see a proper reason why James can't be featured in a poster or why his name should be risked from the top spot like he is a nobody. Not that this is going to happen, but why the insistence to kick James out?

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart

Last edited by Loganbabe; 02-28-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #335
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
I really don't buy this. Fassbender hasn't achieved much more than what James has achieved. Both have received nominations to GG and Baftas and were almost nominated for an Oscar, both starred in small/independent British films and started getting more offers when said films were noticed in the US. Fassbender made a Ridley Scott film, James made a Danny Boyle one. Fassbender will be seen acting alongside Brad Pitt, James acted alongside Angelina Jolie and Morgan Freeman - ages before people knew who Fassbender was, actually. And James was invited to join the Academy two years ago while Fassbender hasn't, even with all the "he was robbed a nomination!" that happened around Shame.

So really, I'd like to see a proper reason why James can't be featured in a poster or why his name should be risked from the top spot like he is a nobody.
I gave you several reasons. You believe that he and Fassbender are even? Okay, that's fine. But let's take Michael out of the equation for a moment. That leaves you Hugh, Patrick, Jennifer, Ian, Anna, Dinklage and now it's likely that Halle Berry is also on board. That's at least 3 Oscar winners. Hugh is continuously nominated for an Academy Award. And that's just the basic facts. In other words, you still have a large bevy of actors that outrank McAvoy in terms of cinematic achievement and overall popularity. And there may be other actors being added as well.

Again, it's not a knock against him at all--all I'm saying is that FOX is going to have to prioritize because posters only have so many "spots" to feature.

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 02-28-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #336
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I get why people think Michael Fassbender is a bigger actor than James McAvoy because Fassbender received more recognition than McAvoy in the past 2 years but if you check James McAvoy's filmography and achievements, you will find out that he has more BAFTA/Golden Globes nominations than Michael Fassbender and he appeared in more successful movies. And when First Class came out, Fassbender was a nobody to me and I was very familiar with McAvoy because of Wanted and Atonement.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:53 PM   #337
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

James is currently offering a tour de force performance in Macbeth and even people who were all "oh he is just this lithe, non-threatening actor playing the 'nice guy' roles!" are surprised with his commanding and even ferocious presence on the stage. I know that theater can't be compared with cinema in terms of popularity, but what I'm saying is that he's a great actor and he knows he's good, and you don't kick a good actor to the kids' table. No way.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #338
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
James is currently offering a tour de force performance in Macbeth and even people who were all "oh he is just this lithe, non-threatening actor playing the 'nice guy' roles!" are surprised with his commanding and even ferocious presence on the stage. I know that theater can't be compared with cinema in terms of popularity, but what I'm saying is that he's a great actor and he knows he's good, and you don't kick a good actor to the kids' table. No way.
No one. Is saying.

That.

He's being kicked.

To the Kid's.

Table.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #339
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Well, you're suggesting he won't be in the posters and won't be among the four names featured as headliners, so...

Old 02-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #340
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Well, you're suggesting he won't be in the posters and won't be among the four names featured as headliners, so...
I said it's a distinct possibility and only because there are far bigger stars on this cast. At the end of the day, it'll be FOX & Co.'s marketing decision to make. But that doesn't discount his acting chops or appeal and I couldn't have been more clear in stating that.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #341
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

I agree that Fassbender's name has a bigger draw than that of McAvoy's. Especially after the 2012 Awards season where his name was brought up a number of times on stage (by Clooney et al). That said I'm of the opinion that if Fassbender's name is brought up in any of the posters McAvoy's name will ALWAYS be next to it. Maybe even right *before* it!

Quote:
I gave you several reasons. You believe that he and Fassbender are even? Okay, that's fine. But let's take Michael out of the equation for a moment. That leaves you Hugh, Patrick, Jennifer, Ian, Anna, Dinklage and now it's likely that Halle Berry is also on board.
I don't think Dinklage's name belongs on that list TBH.

Quote:
That's at least 3 Oscar winners. Hugh is continuously nominated for an Academy Award. And that's just the basic facts.
No it's not the basic facts Lightning

Hugh has not been continuously been nominated for Academny Awards. In fact, Les Mis was his first and only one

Old 02-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #342
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
I agree that Fassbender's name has a bigger draw than that of McAvoy's. Especially after the 2012 Awards season where his name was brought up a number of times on stage (by Clooney et al). That said I'm of the opinion that if Fassbender's name is brought up in any of the posters McAvoy's name will ALWAYS be next to it. Maybe even right *before* it!

I don't think Dinklage's name belongs on that list TBH.

No it's not the basic facts Lightning

Hugh has not been continuously been nominated for Academny Awards. In fact, Les Mis was his first and only one
Really? I thought sure Hugh's been nominated before? Ah well. I stand corrected.

But the essence of my point remains.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #343
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
He will get his 2nd nomination for his work in the Wolverine. And third nomination for his work in DOFP.

Quote:
Really? I thought sure Hugh's been nominated before? Ah well. I stand corrected.

But the essence of my point remains.
He got a Golden Globes nomination for the 2001 film Kate & Leopold. But Les Miserable is his 1st movie that he got nominated for a lot of prestigious award shows.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #344
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

I used to think that the cast went in order of how much they were paid.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #345
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

With Halle Berry nearly confirmed here Is my thinking on how the confirmed actors+Her will go assuming they don't go alpheticly which they might.

James Mcavoy
Michael Fassbender
Hugh Jackman
Jennifer Lawrence
Halle Berry
Nicholas Hoult
Anna Paquin
Peter Dinklage
Ellen Page
Shawn Ashmore
With Ian Mckellen and Patrick Stewert

Old 02-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #346
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
With Halle Berry nearly confirmed here Is my thinking on how the confirmed actors+Her will go assuming they don't go alpheticly which they might.

James Mcavoy
Michael Fassbender
Hugh Jackman
Jennifer Lawrence
Halle Berry
Nicholas Hoult
Anna Paquin
Peter Dinklage
Ellen Page
Shawn Ashmore
With Ian Mckellen and Patrick Stewert
It is a certified impossiblity that James or Michael will get top billing, much less over Hugh Jackman.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #347
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Remember the OT actors may get less screen than First Class actors If reports of majority of film taking place In 1973 are true.Plus there Is possibilty of Wolverine may stay In future
scenes.Of course biggest question for film IS who Is time traveler.If Wolverine Isn't time traveler placing him at top could be called false advertsing although when has that stopped
studios.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #348
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

And remember Bryan Singer already said this is also a sequel to X3. They are not gonna put their biggest star below the actors who just started appearing in X-Men movies in 2011. Plus it doesn't say much if the majority of the film takes place in 1973. Who knows the OT cast could be camera-hogging the scenes set in 1973.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:07 AM   #349
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

One problem with guessing credits order Is It's unknown who time traveler Is and how much screen time the future scenes will get.I doudt the entire OT cast Is traveling back to 1973.Or should I say ones confirmed or semi confirmed for this film.With Avengers everybody knew Robert Downey JR would get top billing and It was question of how rest would be In credits.It's a bit harder to predict for DOFP.I can just see the negative comments from some here If Hugh gets top billing.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #350
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

It could go either way really. I would prefer more of the XMFC actors personally.