Old 07-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #478
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: The Official Stupid Question Thread: Marvel Edition - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
and that was Marvel's attempt at simplifying and streamlining things
WHAT caused it tho? lol I could SEE if Age of Ultron was the cause but that started after didn't it?

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Old 07-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #479
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
WHAT caused it tho? lol I could SEE if Age of Ultron was the cause but that started after didn't it?
AvX

Old 07-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #480
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow_King View Post
Nope. AoU starred Wolverine and Wolverine. With a guest appearance by Sue Storm.
My favourite part was when wolverine killed wolverine who was earlier attacked by another wolverine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
heh I've been confused with everything since NOW started lol
Me too

Old 07-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #481
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

I'm not finding it confusing. All of the books have pretty much moved on from AvX with the exception of Uncanny Avengers, New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men. Their current stories have kinda spun out of what went down in AvX. Iron Man has as well to an extent.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:35 AM   #482
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
AvX
Haven't read that yet. I'll have a look tho.

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Old 07-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #483
That person
Bull Moose

Why is the Hulk wearing armor now? It says in the title of the book he's Indestructible, so that seems weirdly redundant.

What's Flash Thompson's current relationship with the US Government? I know he was initially given the Venom symbiote to go on government missions, but are his current activities in Philadelphia still sanctioned by them?

"Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., nicknamed "Teddy" or "TR", was born October 27, 1858 in New York City. As a young child, he was often sick and was stricken with asthma. Viewing this as a challenge, he proceeded to beat his asthma to death."- Cracked
Old 07-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #484
WolfCypher
I wanna pack of wolves!

The Hulk's armor is to also monitor his vitals and stats, it allows him to keep in touch with SHIELD, and he can now carry things without the worry of losing anything he may have on him after his clothes explode from Hulking out.

The governmental team that Agent Venom worked with was closed down by Captain America. Venom's acts as a freelance superhero now.

I liked TMNT...way more than GotG. There. It's been said.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #485
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Also, the "Indestructible" part of the title's name isn't so much about the Hulk being invulnerable, but rather that Banner has accepted that he'll never get rid of the Hulk.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #486
That person
Bull Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCypher View Post
The Hulk's armor is to also monitor his vitals and stats, it allows him to keep in touch with SHIELD, and he can now carry things without the worry of losing anything he may have on him after his clothes explode from Hulking out.
That makes good enough sense, although I don't care for it visually.

Quote:
The governmental team that Agent Venom worked with was closed down by Captain America. Venom's acts as a freelance superhero now.
That explanation seems a bit more questionable, but this arc seems entertaining enough so perhaps I should enjoy it for what it is.

"Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., nicknamed "Teddy" or "TR", was born October 27, 1858 in New York City. As a young child, he was often sick and was stricken with asthma. Viewing this as a challenge, he proceeded to beat his asthma to death."- Cracked
Old 07-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #487
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

I kind of wish they'd scale down the Hulk's armor myself. It makes sense for the story, but it's so bulky and ugly. Maybe just a wrist cuff to monitor his vitals and expandable trunks for all the practical considerations.

As for Marvel NOW, I love it. It's what a lot of people have been asking for for a long time: self-contained, quality stories featuring the characters. A few things are still building to events and such, like Avengers with Infinity, but the majority are just doing their thing. Thor: God of Thunder, Indestructible Hulk, Captain America, and Iron Man are all focusing on their own self-contained stories, along with titles like Daredevil, which had been doing that all along.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #488
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Eh, I don't really think that's true. It just feels that way because of the abusive shipping schedule. We've only had about 8 or so months since Marvel NOW started and we're already heading into our first big crossover event with Infinity and minor crossover event with the X-Men books. And that's not including the first event since NOW started with Age of Ultron, which did loosely crossover with other titles. Also, we've had Superior Spider-Man influence Avengers and both of his titles. Was Minimum Carnage post-NOW? If so there was that. There's the Captain Marvel/Avengers Assemble crossover going on. All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men have been playing off each other since it started, and Wolverine & the X-Men has pulled from them a time or two. Thor's axe being embedded in Immortus' head (I think it was Immortus) in Uncanny Avengers will later be explained in Thor: God of Thunder.

And of course we still have Wolverine in more places than he should ever be in. We still have various characters showing up in solo books and multiple teams without much cohesion (like is Rogue with the X-Men or the Avengers? Wolverine? Beast? How many X-Men teams is Storm on? What classifies the Secret Avengers team from the Avengers or Avengers Assemble books?). We still have a thousand Avenger and X-Men titles. I honestly don't see any difference between now and pre-Marvel NOW. They're just cramming the normal Marvel formula into a shorter time-frame. There's still crossovers and titles influencing other titles and an over-saturation of Avengers and X-Men (actually, even MORE saturation than pre-NOW). Also, books with titles that haven nothing to do with the interior (such as Avengers Arena... which has nothing to do with Avengers... or Avengers A.I., which has 1 Avenger in it).

So yeah, the only difference I see with Marvel NOW is creative team switch ups and more mandatory spending in order to continue the books you want to buy.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Last edited by JewishHobbit; 07-10-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #489
KevanG
Brony

I was flipping through Astonishing X-men and after the good part (the end of Breakworld) they do the ghost box storyline. They ever do anything else about that or has that just been left dangling?

Deadly Premonition - The best horror game you've never played.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #490
Anubis
Sup?

Wasn't that Ellis' run?

I believe that s**t was ignored....for the most part.

H.E.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #491
Havok83
Side-Kick

yeah they just brought Forge back and I don't think they even bothered to explain why he wasn't dead

Old 07-11-2013, 01:39 AM   #492
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

I can only imagine how hard sales dropped after Whedon left the book. Even with someone with as much prestige as Ellis following him.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:53 AM   #493
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

That's the funny thing about Warren Ellis. People love his original work, but nobody ever takes to his "for hire" work on others' characters. I didn't read his old X-Force and Generation X work from the turn of the century, but I've always heard bad things.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:53 AM   #494
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Astonishing hasn't really had that great a run after Whedon left. Gage's space arc that introduced Broo (that shipped every-other-month opposite his Japan arc.... which was a weird way to do it) was probably my favorite of the bunch. The issue featuring Emma and Danger right after that was also decent. Liu's run, I hear, hasn't been bad, and the current arc has been pretty good for the two issues I've read, but the art's kinda sketchy. It's turning into a great Iceman saga though.

But yeah, Astonishing needs an overhaul in the worst way. Or better yet, it needs discarded. I mean, really, do we need 6 X-Men books? Especially when Wolverine, Iceman, and Kitty are in 3 of them and Storm's in two of them plus Uncanny X-Force. Even Deathbird's doing double-duty on two titles. Not to mention Wolverine, Rogue, and Beast who are also pairing up in Avenger titles.

Keep All New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, X-Men, and Wolverine & the X-Men. Lesson Wolverine, Kitty, Iceman, and Storm's roles to make room for people like Gambit, Warpath, and Karma. Then fill Astonishing X-Men and X-Men Legacy's spots (since they're selling badly) with more unique titles like Generation X and New X-Men (focusing on the students who aren't original five). Give more characters a chance to shine.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 07-11-2013, 04:58 AM   #495
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
That's the funny thing about Warren Ellis. People love his original work, but nobody ever takes to his "for hire" work on others' characters. I didn't read his old X-Force and Generation X work from the turn of the century, but I've always heard bad things.
I was ticked off that he killed Synch right from the get go, but his Generation X stories really were better than they'd been in years. Then when Brian Wood took over for the last few issues they rocked. That's why I want a new Generation X title with Wood at the helm. He's already said he'd love to do a new Gen X series, so let him do it.

As for Ellis' X-Force, yeah it was a horrible switch in tone and his characters didn't feel like the ones we knew. That said, he did wonders for Bedlam and brought Pete Wisdom further into the Marvel Universe than his minor role in Excalibur. I'm still undecided by his attempt at making Warpath a flyer.

And while also shocking by the upheaval, his X-Man direction ended up being a fantastic story.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 07-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #496
Anubis
Sup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post

Yeah, he was the original of the indie writers who just can't seem to write characters they didn't create well. I mean, he wrote Planetary. One of the greatest comic series ever written. But then he also wrote World Engine. One of the s**tiest runs Thor has ever had. It goes to show you that some writers may be too creative for the big two....asinine as that may sound.

H.E.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #497
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
Astonishing hasn't really had that great a run after Whedon left. Gage's space arc that introduced Broo (that shipped every-other-month opposite his Japan arc.... which was a weird way to do it) was probably my favorite of the bunch. The issue featuring Emma and Danger right after that was also decent. Liu's run, I hear, hasn't been bad, and the current arc has been pretty good for the two issues I've read, but the art's kinda sketchy. It's turning into a great Iceman saga though.

But yeah, Astonishing needs an overhaul in the worst way. Or better yet, it needs discarded. I mean, really, do we need 6 X-Men books? Especially when Wolverine, Iceman, and Kitty are in 3 of them and Storm's in two of them plus Uncanny X-Force. Even Deathbird's doing double-duty on two titles. Not to mention Wolverine, Rogue, and Beast who are also pairing up in Avenger titles.

Keep All New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, X-Men, and Wolverine & the X-Men. Lesson Wolverine, Kitty, Iceman, and Storm's roles to make room for people like Gambit, Warpath, and Karma. Then fill Astonishing X-Men and X-Men Legacy's spots (since they're selling badly) with more unique titles like Generation X and New X-Men (focusing on the students who aren't original five). Give more characters a chance to shine.
Well, you're getting your wish at least as it comes to Astonishing. It ends in October.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #498
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I just saw that. I hope Liu goes to something good (as she's too good a writer to be placed on a 6th tier X-Men book), and I hope that they replace Astonishing with something that doesn't have X-Men in the title... unless it's New X-Men with the students. There was that "commissioned" New X-Men image that promoted Bendis and Mann as the creative team. I'd love to see that come to light. Bendis isn't the best at humor, but I feel like he'd nail Rockslide's immature humor, and he's doing great at the other X-titles. I just don't see him writing a 4th ongoing at the moment.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 07-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #499
Panthro
Our Savior Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Yeah, he was the original of the indie writers who just can't seem to write characters they didn't create well. I mean, he wrote Planetary. One of the greatest comic series ever written. But then he also wrote World Engine. One of the s**tiest runs Thor has ever had. It goes to show you that some writers may be too creative for the big two....asinine as that may sound.
Certain writers mesh well with certain characters and some don't. Why is anyone's guess...

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Old 07-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #500
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Probably doesn't help that Warren Ellis straight-up doesn't like superheroes. He's mentioned it in interviews and such.

Closed Thread