Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #801
BMM
Side-Kick

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
well, if Fox ends doing it, I would be happy to say that my fan dream became a reality, lol

back on 2007-2008 many fans said we would never see the original actors playing their roles again, and now we're having Days of future past with some of them back (we dont know the full number yet) so... never say never.

Only time will tell, as always.
No. They said we wouldn't see X-Men 4 anytime soon, and they were right.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #802
Angamb
Banned User

2007 situation was one thing

but we are on 2013, a totally different moment both to superhero movies and to Fox.

some fans take this into account, and others not. To each its own, I guess, hehe

Old 01-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #803
BMM
Side-Kick

Plenty of people take that into account. They're just not willing to blindly deem X-Men 4 a full proof blockbuster, like you are.

Last edited by BMM; 01-10-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #804
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

In a lot of ways Days of future Past Is both X4 and first Class sequel.With DOFP they are killing 2 birds with one stone.

Lauren Shueller Donnor talked about back In 2011 of them taking X4 treatment to fox,them loving It and X4 leads to X5.Now It's pretty much guranteed she was talking about Days of future past as X4.The question Is would X5 be a sequel to Days of future past with oriignal trilogy actors or a third film with First Class actors.How Days of future Past ends will give us idea If they are planning more with original cast members.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:38 PM   #805
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
That's not entirely true. The trilogy built up those numbers by making a good film and then a great film. Then X3 got it's numbers largely off of X2's back.

X-Men - PB $75m -- US $157m - WW $296m
X2 - PB $110m -- US $214m - WW $407m
X3 - PB $210 -- US $234 - WW $459

XOW - PB $150 -- US $179 - WW $373

XFC - PB $160 -- US $146 - WW $353

Casual viewers skipping the subsequent film is more down to declining quality than a different cast.
I also said that if you adjust the numbers, the box-office numbers of the original trilogy is still better than Origins/First Class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanosOfTitans View Post
My only wish is that Singer finds a way to erase the phoenix handling in X3 and does it properly. I actually enjoyed X3 though the treatment of the phoenix was very underwhelming and seemed kind of tacked on. I'm not a big brian singer fan (X2 is really the only thing I enjoyed from him), but I did appreciate how he introduced the Phoenix and gave us a taste of the direction his treatment was going in...I would like to see the Phoenix story line done properly....but that may not be possible at Fox.

And how about Mr. Sinister (and the Acolytes) or Apolocaplypse (and the four horsemen)...it would be nice to see some real grade A villains besides Magneto. I was not impressed with Shaw in First Class, but I did like White Queen.
To me, the only proper way that they can do the Phoenix saga thing again is if they do it with the younger version of Jean Grey. I don't think they should ignore X3 and reboot post-X2 just because X3 sucked and Bryan Singer didn't get his X3 treatment. There are so many stories to adapt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
i think Fox ARE going to want to give the franchise a big push but I don't think they're going to rely on old actors from a franchise that struggled. I think they're going to want to take the younger actors they've got and keep going in the First Class direction.

I think it's very unlikely that they would be able to get Famke, James, Jackman, McKellan, Stewart, Page, Berry etc to a)Commit to 3 films (which let's be honest, is EXACTLY what fox will be after, a multi picture deal) and B) a lot of those actors will be starting to get too old for a 3 picture deal. Now sure, people like Jackman etc still look alright now, but 3 pictures is what, 8 to 9 years? That's a long time.

And look how a lot of you guys are acting... 3 original actors have been announced, 2 of which are the older versions of the young, First Class actors and one of them is an immortal character who looks the same. Now, not only are a lot of you ASSUMING we're going to get a cavalcade of other original trilogy characters, but talking about how this will open up another trilogy with the original actors? It's purely wishful thinking, wrapped in denial that that chapter of the X-franchise is as dead as we thought. Singer AND the original actors back has sparked a false hope, but that's NOT what we're going to get. This isn't X-Men 4, this is First Class 2.
This movie franchise wouldn't get a big push if the X-Men team consists of B and C list characters. Its not just the cast of the original trilogy that makes the original trilogy more appealing to the audience but the X-Men characters they are portraying. Seriously Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Iceman, Colossus, Angel over Young Magneto, Young Professor X, Young Mystique, Young Beast, Havok and Banshee. And like I said, FOX don't need to bring back the entire cast of the original trilogy, they could always introduce new characters and hire new actors.

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page

Last edited by psylockolussus; 01-10-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #806
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
Why would they suddenly decide to switch back to the original cast when they've hit success with the new cast of Fassbender, McAvoy etc? It makes no sense from a marketing or franchise branding perspective.

They're going to try and build something that will last... That means building out and up, not going back to an old way of presenting the movies. I can almost guarantee they're going to stick with the young cast and flesh that out. It makes no sense from a business or creative standpoint to do otherwise.
Hit success? just because the movie was well-liked by critics and it doesn't mean it is suddenly a big blockbuster. May I remind you, First Class is the lowest grossing X-Men movie yet. And even if the First Class has a younger cast it doesn't make it more appealing to the cast of the original trilogy. It also doesn't have the most well-known X-Men characters such as Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Iceman, etc.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:18 AM   #807
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus
This movie franchise wouldn't get a big push if the X-Men team consists of B and C list characters. Its not just the cast of the original trilogy that makes the original trilogy more appealing to the audience but the X-Men characters they are portraying. Seriously Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Iceman, Colossus, Angel over Young Magneto, Young Professor X, Young Mystique, Young Beast, Havok and Banshee. And like I said, FOX don't need to bring back the entire cast of the original trilogy, they could always introduce new characters and hire new actors.
See, I think recasting or even rebooting is much more likely than revisiting Halle and co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus
Hit success? just because the movie was well-liked by critics and it doesn't mean it is suddenly a big blockbuster. May I remind you, First Class is the lowest grossing X-Men movie yet. And even if the First Class has a younger cast it doesn't make it more appealing to the cast of the original trilogy. It also doesn't have the most well-known X-Men characters such as Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Iceman, etc.
It's worth noting, I think, that the poor box office was more due to the state of the franchise at that point than it was a reflection on that movie itself.

Also, that those box office figures are all relative anyway. From memory, Wolverine was more of a flop because it had a much wider release than First Class and only performed marginally better. And Fox spent less on the marketing on FC than they did with both X3 and Wolverine etc.

Further more, it's all about branding. Wolverine had been in 4 movies, audiences knew who he was. They were more unfamiliar with the idea behind First Class. But it was the necessary pull back the franchise needed, especially after Wolverine. A new idea is always going to be less successful than a familiar one but once you get audiences involved... I mean come on, compare the box office of Captain America or Thor to Avengers... You only need to get people used to something and then they accept it.

First Class did gangbusters in foreign DVD/Blu Ray sales and has made more 'standalone' profit than Wolverine or X3 (I say standalone because Fox have made heaps of cash of all their re-released 'Franchise Bundles' that they bring out every Xmas)

It's

Old 01-11-2013, 01:13 AM   #808
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I don't think "age" is really a big issue. Look at Johnny Depp, Robert Downey Jr, Daniel Craig, Tom Cruise and Will Smith for example.
Yeah - all of them male actors. Not the same story for ladies.

Quote:
The box-office numbers of the original trilogy is still way better than the box-office numbers of Origins: Wolverine/First Class especially if you when you adjust the numbers. It shows that the casual viewers are more interested seeing the original cast.
That's no guarantee however that the movie with the original cast, or the one that has the original cast and some new characters, would have done so much better, especially when the last movie left a sour taste in people's mouths. All franchises eventually hit diminishing returns.

It's also pretty telling IMO that though the new Wolverine movie is taking place after X3, the director also stated that it is not a direct sequel and, Jean Grey aside, the movie is obviously not in a hurry to create more hype by stuffing it with some familiar faces as it could have done.

And really if a film with the original cast was such a surefire thing some people here claim it to be, Fox would be doing it instead of First Class.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:35 AM   #809
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
And really if a film with the original cast was such a surefire thing some people here claim it to be, Fox would be doing it instead of First Class.
When X3 was released, FOX mentioned that they would release a couple of spin-off movies before they do a X4 movie and so far that proved to be true. They made the spin-off movies to explore the origins of Wolverine, Magneto, Professor X and not exactly to earn more money than X3. But since First Class' performance at the box-office wasn't overwhelming. I think FOX should now make a movie that will really appeal to the casual viewers and they are doing it right now by bringing some of the cast from the original trilogy to appear in the next X-Men movie. So I think after DOFP is released, they should continue making movies with the original cast but it doesn't mean they have to bring all of them like Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Famke Janssen, etc. Keep the X-Men in the present timeline and introduce new characters and villains.

Quote:
Yeah - all of them male actors. Not the same story for ladies.
And the leading star of the X-Men movie series is Hugh Jackman and I doubt people would care about Halle Berry's age. She still looks good and its not like it will be her 1st time appearing in a X-Men movie.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:37 AM   #810
NanaT
X-Men United!

These actors are not that old.

We've already said that we wouldn't need to have Famke, Patrick and Ian return so from there the rest of the actors ages are as follows.

Halle Berry 46 (looks amazing and would definitely not look out of place in an xmen movie)
Hugh Jackman 44 (not that old. Also looks really good)
Anna Paquin 30
Shawn Ashmore 33
Daniel Cudmore 31
Ellen Page 25
Ben Foster 32.

James Mcavoy 33
Michael Fassbender 35
Jennifer Lawrence 22
Nicholas Hoult 23
January Jones 35
Jason flemyng 46

Apart from Hugh and Halle all the rest of the cast are around the same age as the First Class cast. So how is it that they're too old to appear in an X-Men film but the first class cast aren't. This age thing is a non-issue and I don't understand why people are making so much of an issue over it. If they appeared in an X-Men film they would all look fine for their characters. Especially taking to account that none of these characters except maybe Kitty were supposed to be young x-men in the comics at this point. They were all adults.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:47 AM   #811
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
When X3 was released, FOX mentioned that they would release a couple of spin-off movies before they do a X4 movie and so far that proved to be true.
Did they say that these plans for X4 actually included any of the original cast members though? Because it sounds like a weird strategy to wait around while your original stars get older.

And with the new Wolverine movie it's clearly not about exploring the origins anymore. If this movie is successful then they might just keep making more solo Wolverine movies. Both the origins and this new movie seem to position Wolverine as a bad-ass loner and that was the original appeal of the character in the original trilogy as well. I don't think the general audience wants to see Wolverine as a responsible teacher of younger mutants instead.

Quote:
And the leading star of the X-Men movie series is Hugh Jackman and I doubt people would care about Halle Berry's age. She still looks good and its not like it will be her 1st time appearing in a X-Men movie.
I think the question is whether people care all that much about Halle Berry, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
Apart from Hugh and Halle all the rest of the cast are around the same age as the First Class cast.
Maybe but also apart from Hugh and Halle, other than Rogue none of these were major players in the original movies (and even Rogue is sidelined somewhat after X1).

Last edited by Mrs Vimes; 01-11-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #812
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Maybe but also apart from Hugh and Halle, other than Rogue none of these were major players in the original movies (and even Rogue is sidelined somewhat after X1).
So what. This would be a chance to properly flesh out these characters. I cannot believe you even put that forward as an argument. I am beginning to see that people just don't want an X4 not because they think it can't happen. I mean really for some people First Class is the only X-Men series they want continued but to me and many other people that is backwards thinking. While the other superhero movies set in the present are able to do some amazing things, the X-Men films are set in the past where they are bound to make chronological errors. The X-Films deserve to be expanded and to be moving forward, we can't do that if they are set in the past.

I truly don't understand why people think it is impossible for Fox to continue both series. I just get that a lot of the people here are narrowminded and don't want X-Men films to reach the potential that they could by continuing with an X4, introducing new characters and villains. Visiting some of the locations from the X-World and even adapting some storylines that wouldn't work in a First Class era. I'm tired of watching origins movies I want a movie that moves the franchise forward. (one of the reasons why I can't wait for The Wolverine to come out)

Old 01-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #813
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Did they say that these plans for X4 actually included any of the original cast members though? Because it sounds like a weird strategy to wait around while your original stars get older.
Fox never said that, especially not during the release of The Last Stand.

Last edited by BMM; 01-11-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #814
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

I could easily see Fox start another series in the present time, or even future, with new characters and villains. If they're good I'll happily watch them.

I just don't see how these characters who were never major players in the original trilogy, and who are mostly played by little-known actors, are supposed to draw in the general audience and make X4 this massive hit. Realistically, the only character that would manage it is Wolverine, and since he's got his own series now why not just keep making them, instead of having him run around with a bunch of youngsters?

Last edited by Mrs Vimes; 01-11-2013 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #815
NanaT
X-Men United!

The First Class cast were mostly 'little-known actors' and their characters they portrayed where the B and C-List mutants. In the case of the original trilogy the characters they portray would be A-list mutants that have rich stories that could easily be adapted. The movie will sell on the X-Men name alone just like First Class did. And for the first movie they could market it with Hugh and Halle as Wolverine and Storm. Besides if Fox wanted to they could introduce some of them in DoFp and build up interest in them from there. If this is well planned there is no reason why it wouldn't be a box office hit. It may not return avengers numbers but it could easily do The last stand numbers.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #816
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

The problem is though, these characters have already been introduced in the original movies and whatever their status is in the comic books they've mostly been treated as B and C-list mutants by those movies and the audience will see them as such. If the film will sell on the X-Men name or the Hugh/Halle combo, then why not just introduce brand new, fresh characters without the baggage, rather than trying to reheat the older secondary characters?

And personally, I can't see how going back to the cast you've first introduced more than ten years ago is supposed to move the franchise forward. It would be like making another Star Trek film about the Next Generation crew after you've introduced the rebooted Kirk and Spock and the rest.

Last edited by Mrs Vimes; 01-11-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #817
def28
Side-Kick

I just think they should start introducing new characters that have a reason for being there through character interaction, and not mutant power.

Too many of the mutants in FC were chosen cause of their power and not character.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #818
BMM
Side-Kick

I think everyone but Alex, Angel, Darwin, and Riptide deserves to be there. So, really, Alex is the only one with whom I have a problem.

Last edited by BMM; 01-11-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #819
def28
Side-Kick

I think Banshee doesnt need to be there either. Think he was chosen strictly for his sonar scene. But he was cool and I liked the character. Funny dude.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #820
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

It all depends where they want to go next.

Are they planning another First Class where we see Jean, Scott and Storm joining the school?

Or are they moving to the present day? And if they move to the present day, what of the First Class actors/characters?

Millar said The Wolverine was Year Zero, the equivalent of Iron Man, which suggests they want to move forward and not stay in the past. So, unless some First Class characters/actors (I'd suggest Magneto, Xavier, Beast, Emma Frost, Banshee) are somehow transported into the present, that's the end of the 60s characters.

As for Wolverine, he could get more solo movies but that's quite limiting if, for instance, they want to introduce Alpha Flight so it seems likely he could end up forming his own team such as X-Force, with such characters as Cable, Psylocke, Archangel, Deadpool, Domino, etc.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7/10, Noah 3/10
Old 01-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #821
Angamb
Banned User

as marvelrobbins said, if that treatment Bryan did about X4 connecting with X5 that Fox loved so much is the reason we're having DOFP, they could easily see this sequel as a bridge between x-men prequels and upcoming sequels set in present, with that X5 coming next.

it makes sense. DOFP will remind the general audience that there are two x-men casts, one on the 60's and one on the present time, so they could easily connect this sequel with a possible sequel with present team. so by the year they release that X5, the audience will have returning original actors faces in their minds pretty fresh.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #822
Cherry
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
In a lot of ways Days of future Past Is both X4 and first Class sequel.With DOFP they are killing 2 birds with one stone.

Lauren Shueller Donnor talked about back In 2011 of them taking X4 treatment to fox,them loving It and X4 leads to X5.Now It's pretty much guranteed she was talking about Days of future past as X4.The question Is would X5 be a sequel to Days of future past with oriignal trilogy actors or a third film with First Class actors.How Days of future Past ends will give us idea If they are planning more with original cast members.
I actually agree with this and kind of figured this was the plan all along. Well, since 2011.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:14 PM   #823
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
I think the question is whether people care all that much about Halle Berry, period.
I don't care if people ignore and care for Halle Berry, she played Storm in the first three X-Men movies, she was one of the top-billing stars of those movies, her character didn't die or depowered in X3 and those are enough reasons to bring her back. So what if she's not relevant anymore or if she haven't had a blockbuster movie in years. Most of these actors haven't had a hit in years like for example Patrick Stewart.

Quote:
What maybe? NaNaT already listed the ages of the actors from the original trilogy and the cast of First Class. There isn't really a huge gap when it comes to their age. Its not like the actors from the original trilogy are all in their mids 50s while the cast of First Class are in their early twenties.

Quote:
I could easily see Fox start another series in the present time, or even future, with new characters and villains. If they're good I'll happily watch them.

I just don't see how these characters who were never major players in the original trilogy, and who are mostly played by little-known actors, are supposed to draw in the general audience and make X4 this massive hit. Realistically, the only character that would manage it is Wolverine, and since he's got his own series now why not just keep making them, instead of having him run around with a bunch of youngsters?
Recasting (like for example, Colossus) and hiring new talents (that haven't appear in a X-Men movie) for the new characters that will appear in the movie is the solution.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 01-11-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #824
magneto23
Side-Kick

I would be totally 100% on board for an X4 IF it wasn't for the fact that Rogue is such a useless character who's presence is just a painful reminder of what should/could have been. If the Rogue character was somehow the flying powerful badass that she should have always been, them I'm all for a continuation of the original trilogy. I would overlook the awful X3 and the absence of Cyclopes/Jean. I would ignore the ages of the leading man and lady. I would even tolerate the mute Colossus. If only we had the real Rogue.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #825
zanos
Banned User

When will Singer stop ruining X-Men films? He's a lousy director and not even half as talented as Vaughn.

Closed Thread