Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #851
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Yeah, he only wrote it, produced it, helped cast it, and came up with the entire idea.
He didn't write it. Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz wrote the first draft, and then Vaughn came in with Goldman and rewrote everything. Singer came up with the idea/outline, which was "let's do a movie about Xavier's first X-Men/let's visit Charles and Erik as young men". He started First Class with the idea, but the movie itself was good thanks to Vaughn. Singer may have helped with casting a bit, but no one has yet to state WHICH names he picked (definitely not McAvoy or Fassbender, who stole the show and were both Vaughn's choices). Judging from the very different team he's grabbing for DOFP, I think it's fair to say that Singer also had nothing to do with location scouting, costumes, style, cinematography, editing, or music. When you take that away... what is left?

Producers are in charge of making sure things run smoothly behind the scenes. Creatively they can have some control or none at all. Bryan Singer is an EXCELLENT producer. But I think he had very, very, very little to do with why FC is good ONSCREEN. Apart from the idea, which really isn't that big of a deal. FC is good because of Vaughn and I hate that so many fans have jumped on the "it's all because of Singer!!" bandwagon.

It's like commissioning an artist to paint you a really cool painting of rabbits fighting aliens. When the painting turns out awesome, who should get the credit? The guy who spent hours on his vision of your request, or you, who provided the idea, the canvas and the paints?

Old 01-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #852
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Unless you're the one calling "action", your contributions, great as they may be, OBVIOUSLY don't matter.
Obviously!

Old 01-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #853
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
He didn't write it.
Of course he did.
Quote:
Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz wrote the first draft
With Bryan Singer at the helm.

Quote:
and then Vaughn came in with Goldman and rewrote everything.
After Singer was forced to step down. Rewriting the dialog =/= completely changing the story that was written by Singer.

Quote:
Singer came up with the idea/outline, which was "let's do a movie about Xavier's first X-Men/let's visit Charles and Erik as young men".
Do you know what an outline/treatment is?

It was Singer's idea to focus the movie on Magneto/Xavier and proceeded to write the treatment, consisting of every plot point in the film.

Quote:
He started First Class with the idea, but the movie itself was good thanks to Vaughn

The movie was good thanks to all those involved, including Matthew Vaugh and Bryan Singer.

Quote:
Singer may have helped with casting a bit, but no one has yet to state WHICH names he picked (definitely not McAvoy or Fassbender, who stole the show and were both Vaughn's choices).
Roger Mussenden is Singer's casting director, not Vaughn's. And he's also working on DoFP.

Quote:
Apart from the idea, which really isn't that big of a deal.
Really?

Quote:
It's like commissioning an artist to paint you a really cool painting of rabbits fighting aliens. When the painting turns out awesome, who should get the credit? The guy who spent hours on his vision of your request, or you, who provided the idea, the canvas and the paints?
The commissioner gets the credit. See: Andy Warhol.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #854
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Matthew Vaughn clearly states the story remained the same.He rewrote the script to suit his stype.Scripts get rewritten all the time yet story remains.Perfect examples are X-Men
and X2.Mcuh of story came from Bryan.Plus this wasn't the case that when he couldn't direct they just payed him a bunch of money to keep his name on as producer.This wasn't
the case here.During the london filming where all the studio stuff was done and some location work he was regurly on set.Plus as JP said Bryan's casting director was on film.
Plus actors who audentioned for Jack the Jack Slayer were also used In auditioning for first Class.That Is how Nicholas Hoult ended up as both Beast and Jack.

Vaughn didn't write a new script from scratch He rewrote the script they had keeping Bryan's treatment as starting point.The characters were all choosen by Bryan.Vaughn dropped sunspot form Hellfire club.It's known he dropped a Xavier-Moira-Magneto triangle and added the beast-Mystique relationship.It was probally Vaughn who killed off Darwin and had Angel defect to hellfire club.These come off as bond like things.And them like focusing more on magneto and having Magneto a bit like Sean Connery and Emma as
a Bond like femme fatale.But,It was bryon who came up with Xavier being crippled by film's end and wanting Xavier and Mgneto to go their own way.The Wolverine cameo was
Idea of writers before vaughn.

If you don't like Magneto having larger importance than Xavier you laregly have vaughn to blame.

Bryan helped Vaughn get the job of doing first Class.Even Vaughn said he burned bridges with Fox and no matter how much some loved kickass on these boards he didn't have the track record Bryan has.

You just can't say Bryan had nothing to do with succes of first Class.First Class should be viewed as collorbation between them.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #855
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Let's get some facts here.Bryan Singer Is major reason there has been an X-men movie and film series off the ground.For those who wanted early 2000's films to be exactly like 2010's films and for X-men to be exactly like the Avengers that's never going to happen.Bryan made X-men for 75 Million(hell fox gave FF more money In 2005 than they gave
X-Men) and 110 Million for X2.X-men deals with darker and more serious themes than Avengers ever will.The reason for so many years X-men was the best selling Comic Book
was because of characters.X-Men revived the genre after It was nearly killed by the Batman & Robin Fisaco.As Mark Millar said X-Men came out 3 years after that.Many were surprised a comic book film would begain with a scene In The holcaust yet that was something taken from Comics.Kevin feige himself said most important marvel films to where they are today were first X-Men and First Iron Man.He should know.He came to work fro marvel after working on first X-Men for Lauren Shueller Donnor.

Many experts In genre and critics have called X2 one of top 10 best Comic Book movies ever.Millar whose work marvel based the avengers on has called X2 one of best comic book films ever.Of course now that's he's consulant for Fox marvel films some will dismiss him even thought the Marvel Studios films as they exsist wouldn't be possable If It wasn't for his work on the Ultimates.

For those who love First Class I hate to tell people but much of that was Bryan.The version made come mostly from him.He turned It from mostly a teen film written by the producer of gossip girl to origin of Xavier and Magneto.It was his idea to place It In early 1960's In cold war setting and climax In the backdrop of Cuban Missile crisis.
He picked the characters used.I personally don't understand why people just don't ignore origins so called Emma frost.First Class had a much better version of classic Emma
Frost.He may not have been able to direct It but he was hands on producer who during bulk of filming In London was on set every day.Sometimes directors who back out get producer's credit but really don't have much to do with film.Prime example of this Is Tim Burton on Batman forever.Bryan was different.Very hands on.Even taking part In Interviews for first Class.Bryan and Matthew Vaughn both deserve credit for what we got.Special credit should go to Lauren Shueller Donnor and Simon Kinberg as well.Lauren for helping to get bryan back to X-Men.Both of them for suggesting Hellfire club as villains.and Kinberg for helping to get vaughn the director's job.

People also tend to forget Bryan got the X-Men job thanks to doing the Usual suspects.A low buget film than became a modest box office hit that a lot of people started copying or parodying.Those who didn't like Superman returns,and to be honest I am not among them,keep saying all his films suck or he shouldn't be allowed near a big budget
film again.They need to get over It.They are getting a non-Singer superman film later this year.His work on X-Men helped get the genre where It Is now.And his style defently Influenced Jon Favrau on Iron Man and Chris Nolan on batman.He tried to make X-Men work as a somewhat plausable world on film even though X-Men Is more fantasy based
than Iron man 1 and 2,or dark Knight trilogy.

X2 and first Class the 2 most well received X-Men films both came from him.Plus the best received one apart from them was X-Men.
I like your words!

Old 01-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #856
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Well, hopefully the end of DoFP makes it perfectly
What seems clear to me is that people want Famke and James back as Jean/Phoenix and Cyclops as well as the return of Nightcrawler and other fan favourites.
I hope Famke returns as the phoenix white or Madelyne Pryor.If returns with James would be happy.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #857
JP
Smelly

I have a strong feeling both will return soon, but it may not be fore DoFP.

It may be for the likely film that follows DoFP with its brand new continuity.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #858
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

Quote:
I have a strong feeling both will return soon, but it may not be fore DoFP.

It may be for the likely film that follows DoFP with its brand new continuity.
She have big proyects, Hansel & Gretel, Taken 2 and Helmock Grove.It would be great to be in DOFP.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #859
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

If It was just up to Bryan I am sure they would be In DOFP but since all the talk lately of The Wolverine taking place after Last Stand we are left with only 2 possibly ways for them
to appear
1:The future Is alternate timeline coming out of assassination magneto and Brotherhood commits.Cyclops and Jean are alive In the timeline.preventing this assassination causes trilogy to come Into being
2:they show up at end of film showing that preventing the event has changed future thus events of Last Stand never happened.

We know from Interviews Bryan did before taking over as director there will be connections made between films.And that film will be cross between original comic version of DOFP and new Ideas.We can only speculate how they will do It.If James or Famke Is among those revealed by Bryan on Twitter they defently are treating DOFP future scenes as pure alternate timeline caused by the brotherhood sucessful assassination of a human character.Then comes question how the films are being connected.The obvious speculation Is preventing the event through time travel helps brings the original trilogy Into being.Maybe they have something some of us wouldn't think of.COnsideirng how they were able to keep a lot of X2 a complete mystery.Despite presence of Jean holding back water In trailer due to promo pics most never speculated
on her apparent death In X2.In x2 you had things bsed on god loves man kills.You had nice tirbute with wolverine flashbacks to weapon X storyline,and you had a nice update of Jean's sacrifice to save X-men even down to others having to stop Cyclops to stop her.They may keep some secrets till the film Is reelased or press screenings.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #860
zanos
Banned User

Quote:
Yeah, he only wrote it, produced it, helped cast it, and came up with the entire idea.
It was his idea, but he didn't write it. That credit goes to the screenplay writers. I don't know who he cast in the film, but as director, Vaughn is typically the one who has final say on everything. Singer makes highly dubious casting choices so I'm not going to give him any benefit of the doubt when it comes to who was in the film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
He didn't write it. Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz wrote the first draft, and then Vaughn came in with Goldman and rewrote everything. Singer came up with the idea/outline, which was "let's do a movie about Xavier's first X-Men/let's visit Charles and Erik as young men". He started First Class with the idea, but the movie itself was good thanks to Vaughn. Singer may have helped with casting a bit, but no one has yet to state WHICH names he picked (definitely not McAvoy or Fassbender, who stole the show and were both Vaughn's choices). Judging from the very different team he's grabbing for DOFP, I think it's fair to say that Singer also had nothing to do with location scouting, costumes, style, cinematography, editing, or music. When you take that away... what is left?

Producers are in charge of making sure things run smoothly behind the scenes. Creatively they can have some control or none at all. Bryan Singer is an EXCELLENT producer. But I think he had very, very, very little to do with why FC is good ONSCREEN. Apart from the idea, which really isn't that big of a deal. FC is good because of Vaughn and I hate that so many fans have jumped on the "it's all because of Singer!!" bandwagon.

Precisely. Giving Singer complete credit for FC completely discounts who actually directed the damn thing. I don't have any issues with Singer as a producer, but it's quite obvious that he doesn't have what it takes it be a good director. His horrible dialogue, lack of attention to other characters, casting, narrow field of vision when it comes to scale are all a detriment to his ability to do big films. Singer's films often look like they cost infinitely less than they actually did; he should be doing small indie films and stay out of the superhero business. Leave that to real directors like Matthew Vaughn and others.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #861
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanos View Post
It was his idea, but he didn't write it. That credit goes to the screenplay writers. I don't know who he cast in the film, but as director, Vaughn is typically the one who has final say on everything. Singer makes highly dubious casting choices so I'm not going to give him any benefit of the doubt when it comes to who was in the film.

Precisely. Giving Singer complete credit for FC completely discounts who actually directed the damn thing.
No one was giving Singer complete credit Even JP said it's a collaboration between all parties involved, including: Singer (from when he first started with the project as Director to even after he was unceremoniously ousted, from his contractual obligations with WB for Jack) and Vaughn.

Quote:
I don't have any issues with Singer as a producer, but it's quite obvious that he doesn't have what it takes it be a good director.
Opinion? Coz from Usual Suspects, X-men, X2 and Valkyrie I would say it's not "quite obvious." But then again that's *my* opinion. Something I don't spout as fact.

Quote:
His horrible dialogue,
As if FC (the script of which is supposedly all credited to Vaughn...HA!) wasn't immune to this.

Quote:
lack of attention to other characters
Magneto and Xavier are spotlighted in FC. I would say the actual X-men are just caricatures. So again FC not immune to this complaint.

Quote:
casting
Considering a lot of people are clamouring for a lot of the original trilogy actors to come back, I would say Singer and his crew did (mostly) a bang up job with casting for his films.

Quote:
narrow field of vision when it comes to scale are all a detriment to his ability to do big films. Singer's films often look like they cost infinitely less than they actually did; he should be doing small indie films and stay out of the superhero business. Leave that to real directors like Matthew Vaughn and others.
I'm really not a fan of any of Vaughn's work as a director (the two that I've seen, FC and Kickass) so I'm very happy he's off this project.

Last edited by EnDz0n3; 01-12-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #862
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:

Precisely. Giving Singer complete credit for FC completely discounts who actually directed the damn thing. I don't have any issues with Singer as a producer, but it's quite obvious that he doesn't have what it takes it be a good director. His horrible dialogue, lack of attention to other characters, casting, narrow field of vision when it comes to scale are all a detriment to his ability to do big films. Singer's films often look like they cost infinitely less than they actually did; he should be doing small indie films and stay out of the superhero business. Leave that to real directors like Matthew Vaughn and others.
So you are alling all casting choices on first 2 X-Men dubious?
Patrick Stewert,Ian Mckellen,Hugh jackman,Famke Janssen,james Marsden,Anna Paquin,Brian Cox,Bruce Davidson,Alan Cumming all dubious
choices? 2 oscar Nominess(Mckellen and Davidson) and a oscar winner(paquin) Stewert an emmy nominee?Even the less popular choice of Halle Berry has since won an oscar.And Anna has also got accliam for true Blood.

Vaughn himself discounted the writers before him apart from Singer.

Singer doesn't have what It takes to be a good director? That complete bias and BS.That's me using nice words here.

X2 has survived the taste of time.Let's see after 10 years let's see how well some of newer films are regarded.RT which many will cite at how well a film Is recieved has a 88 percent fresh rating.Only Marvel studios films beating that Is Iron Man 1 and the Avengers.

Joss WHedon wrote one of those bad dialogue lines In first X-men.

Let's see how well some of later comic book film drectors would have done If they had to work with both the money and time Bryan has on first 2 X-men films.Wolverine was always going to major part of X-Men film.Yet some want to bash Bryan but have no trouble of all the time you see Tony Stark outside of armor In Avengers.If you grow up with real avengers Stark was rarely out
of armor around the avengers.Same as with Captain America with mask like a hoodie.Calling Vaughn a real director but not Bryan.That Is full of It.

Bryan directed the Usual Suspects with as I mentioned was copyed and paroded.He directed Kevin SPacy to his first Oscar.

X-men revivied the genree and he toped himself with X2

despite the internet complaning the GA didn't have a probelem with Superman
Returns with a 391 Million worldwide gross.

He also proved having Tom Cruise in a film post jumping couch and other scientology santagins was not bos office poison In Valykrie.

Besides first Class he helped bring one of Fox's most successul long running
TV shows-House to TV.He directed the pilot that got It sold.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:00 AM   #863
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

I think it's fair to say that Singer had a lot to do with how good First Class turned out. And I think it's also fair to say that if Vaughn didn't direct it it would have been a vastly different movie. Great ideas is one thing, execution is another. Which is why in the credits it's called a "Matthew Vaughn film", not "Matthew Vaugh/Bryan Singer film".

Quote:
Singer doesn't have what It takes to be a good director? That complete bias and BS.That's me using nice words here.

X2 has survived the taste of time.Let's see after 10 years let's see how well some of newer films are regarded.RT which many will cite at how well a film Is recieved has a 88 percent fresh rating.Only Marvel studios films beating that Is Iron Man 1 and the Avengers.
I enjoyed most of Singer's films and I still love X1 and X2, but I think that people are allowed to have a personal opinion that he's a bad director and they're are not obliged to follow the opinion of the majority.

Million Dollar Baby may have won all those Oscars and it's got 92% fresh rating and I still think it's a crappy average movie and that Clint Eastwood is a hideously overrated director.

Quote:
But I believe that nobody twisted Singer's arm to film those bad dialogue lines.

Last edited by Mrs Vimes; 01-13-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:29 AM   #864
huzzah
Side-Kick

Quote:

Amen to that.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:31 AM   #865
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Old 01-13-2013, 01:35 AM   #866
huzzah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post

But I believe that nobody twisted Singer's arm to film those bad dialogue lines.
That's right. There's an interview where Joss says that's not they way he intended her to say that line. Bryan could have easily said to Halle "do it again" or "I want you to say it like this".

Old 01-13-2013, 01:36 AM   #867
JP
Smelly

Singer is directing. Not Vaughn. The end.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:15 AM   #868
zanos
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
No one was giving Singer complete credit Even JP said it's a collaboration between all parties involved, including: Singer (from when he first started with the project as Director to even after he was unceremoniously ousted, from his contractual obligations with WB for Jack) and Vaughn.

Opinion? Coz from Usual Suspects, X-men, X2 and Valkyrie I would say it's not "quite obvious." But then again that's *my* opinion. Something I don't spout as fact.

As if FC (the script of which is supposedly all credited to Vaughn...HA!) wasn't immune to this.

Magneto and Xavier are spotlighted in FC. I would say the actual X-men are just caricatures. So again FC not immune to this complaint.

Considering a lot of people are clamouring for a lot of the original trilogy actors to come back, I would say Singer and his crew did (mostly) a bang up job with casting for his films.

I'm really not a fan of any of Vaughn's work as a director (the two that I've seen, FC and Kickass) so I'm very happy he's off this project.
Quote:
So you are alling all casting choices on first 2 X-Men dubious?
Patrick Stewert,Ian Mckellen,Hugh jackman,Famke Janssen,james Marsden,Anna Paquin,Brian Cox,Bruce Davidson,Alan Cumming all dubious
choices? 2 oscar Nominess(Mckellen and Davidson) and a oscar winner(paquin) Stewert an emmy nominee?Even the less popular choice of Halle Berry has since won an oscar.And Anna has also got accliam for true Blood.

Vaughn himself discounted the writers before him apart from Singer.

Let's see how well some of later comic book film drectors would have done If they had to work with both the money and time Bryan has on first 2 X-men films.Wolverine was always going to major part of X-Men film.Yet some want to bash Bryan but have no trouble of all the time you see Tony Stark outside of armor In Avengers.If you grow up with real avengers Stark was rarely out
of armor around the avengers.Same as with Captain America with mask like a hoodie.Calling Vaughn a real director but not Bryan.That Is full of It.

Bryan directed the Usual Suspects with as I mentioned was copyed and paroded.He directed Kevin SPacy to his first Oscar.

X-men revivied the genree and he toped himself with X2

despite the internet complaning the GA didn't have a probelem with Superman
Returns with a 391 Million worldwide gross.

He also proved having Tom Cruise in a film post jumping couch and other scientology santagins was not bos office poison In Valykrie.

Besides first Class he helped bring one of Fox's most successul long running
TV shows-House to TV.He directed the pilot that got It sold.
I don't have an issue with how they handled the supporting cast in FC because the film is not about them. It's primarily centered around Xavier and Magneto's relationship. Even so, Vaughn still did a better job with the supporting cast then Singer could even dream of when he worked on the first two X-Men films. Jean, Scott and Storm were really nothing more than window dressing and that is a fact that no one can deny. Even if the film had been titled Wolverine you would still need likable and relatable characters in your supporting cast. The rest of the X-Men had so little to do that you barely even got to know them.

As for budget, you keep bringing this up, but 75 million was a very decent budget in those days. Schwazenegger's the 6th Day was only 80 plus million. Let's face it, X-Men as a whole would not have been improved with an additional 20, or even 40 million in Singer's hands. He's proven that even with a monster budget he doesn't really know how to utilize the money properly. Both SR and Avatar cost the same! The only difference is Avatar's marketing budget was $150 million, but that has nothing to do with the budget for the film itself.

Kate Bosworth, Brandon Roth, Halle Berry, Rebecca Romijin were absolutely laughable as casting choices. Even Famke and James Marsden were bad casting choices for their respective roles. Casting better known established actors like Spacey and McKellen hardly takes a huge leap of faith. Patrick Stewart has been the choice to play Prof X since TNG came out and was a no brainer. I would never trust a director who makes the types of bad decisions in casting that Singer does.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:42 AM   #869
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

I heard Marsden could return as Cyclops. Which would be awesome.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:44 AM   #870
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Both SR and Avatar cost the same!
You would have to be a fool to believe something like that. The amount of time and resources spent on Avatar absolutely eclipses the amount spent on Superman Returns.

Last edited by BMM; 01-13-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:47 AM   #871
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Singer is directing. Not Vaughn. The end.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:56 AM   #872
BMM
Side-Kick

There are two things I hope Singer fixes immediately.

1. Beast’s makeup. The body is fine, and the use of pelts is great, especially compared to the fur crew neck it looks like Grammer is wearing in The Last Stand. The face, however, needs fixing. In some scenes it’s okay. In others, it’s distractingly bad.

2. The need to have McAvoy put his finger on his damn temple every time Xavier uses his telepathy. Enough already. We get it. Change it up a bit, please.

Last edited by BMM; 01-13-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:03 AM   #873
def28
Side-Kick

Agreed.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #874
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't have an issue with how they handled the

Kate Bosworth, Brandon Roth, Halle Berry, Rebecca Romijin were absolutely laughable as casting choices. Even Famke and James Marsden were bad casting choices for their respective roles. Casting better known established actors like Spacey and McKellen hardly takes a huge leap of faith. Patrick Stewart has been the choice to play Prof X since TNG came out and was a no brainer. I would never trust a director who makes the types of bad decisions in casting that Singer does.
I disagree, the original cast is incredible.

Anna Paquin: oscar,golden globe.

Halle Berry: oscar,golden globe.

Ian Mckellen: 2 oscar nominated

Hugh Jackman: oscar nomitated

Famke Janssen: Saturn award

Patrick Stewart: 2 golden globe nominated

Rebecca Romijn as Mystique is perfect, Jennifer Lawrence is a wrong Mystique.First Class casting have only four good elections:Michael Fassbender,January Jones,Kevin Bacon and Rose Byrne.
McAvoy is good actor but not as Xavier.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #875
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison Blaire View Post

Jennifer Lawrence is a wrong Mystique..

...How can you have the words "Jennifer Lawrence" and "wrong" in the same sentence? Apart from in this context
IMO, the casting for the most part has been right in all the films.