Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #876
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
...How can you have the words "Jennifer Lawrence" and "wrong" in the same sentence? Apart from in this context
IMO, the casting for the most part has been right in all the films.
Jennifer is very overrated,not bad actress.But his interpretation of Raven is terrible,takes away all the mystery and spoils the character.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #877
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanos View Post
I don't have an issue with how they handled the supporting cast in FC because the film is not about them. It's primarily centered around Xavier and Magneto's relationship. Even so, Vaughn still did a better job with the supporting cast then Singer could even dream of when he worked on the first two X-Men films. Jean, Scott and Storm were really nothing more than window dressing and that is a fact that no one can deny. Even if the film had been titled Wolverine you would still need likable and relatable characters in your supporting cast. The rest of the X-Men had so little to do that you barely even got to know them.

As for budget, you keep bringing this up, but 75 million was a very decent budget in those days. Schwazenegger's the 6th Day was only 80 plus million. Let's face it, X-Men as a whole would not have been improved with an additional 20, or even 40 million in Singer's hands. He's proven that even with a monster budget he doesn't really know how to utilize the money properly. Both SR and Avatar cost the same! The only difference is Avatar's marketing budget was $150 million, but that has nothing to do with the budget for the film itself.

Kate Bosworth, Brandon Roth, Halle Berry, Rebecca Romijin were absolutely laughable as casting choices. Even Famke and James Marsden were bad casting choices for their respective roles. Casting better known established actors like Spacey and McKellen hardly takes a huge leap of faith. Patrick Stewart has been the choice to play Prof X since TNG came out and was a no brainer. I would never trust a director who makes the types of bad decisions in casting that Singer does.
Handling supporting cast better Is matter of debate

X-men was about wolverine and lesser extent Rogue just like First Class was
about Magneto and lesser extent Xavier.

Even back In 2000 X-Men was considered low for summer blockbuster.The Danger room,Beast,Blob and actual New York shooting were all sacrificed
because of budget.

X-Men took the risk of reving the genre.It's easy now to dismiss what X-Men did.Once someone else has done It It's easy to jump on bandwagon.

Kate Bosworth terrable choice to play Lois Lane.Brnadon Routh was choosen because Bryan was looking for someone like Christopher reeve.And there are those who wanted to see him play Superman again.

Halle Berry was choosen after acclaim for her performance as Dorthy Dangerie and since has won an Oscar.

You will also find there are those who prefer Rebecca Romijn as Mystique.

You tend to forget that Bryan Directed Kevin Spacey to his first Oscar winning performance.Getting Ian Mckellen as Magneto was hardly a no-Brainer.Few would have thought of him playing Magneto before he was cast.

In X2 Famke proved how good a choice she had been.Witht he fact so many want James Marsden back as cyclops Is proof It was good choice.

Getting Patrick Stewert as Xavier was Inspired choice and that was first Casting Bryan wanted for film and It wasn't easy to get him for X-men.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #878
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

I find it odd how people compare Rebecca Romijn as Mystique to Jennifer Lawrences version of the character

for one thing jennifer lawrence is playing an earlier less confident version of the character who is given more depth and was written that way intentionally while rebecca romijn was often almost a silent assassin in the previous films, similar to emma frosts role in first class

so really its less about the actress and more about which version of the character you prefer

Old 01-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #879
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison Blaire View Post
Jennifer is very overrated,not bad actress.But his interpretation of Raven is terrible,takes away all the mystery and spoils the character.
yup 2 oscar noms at just 22 for 2 vastly different characters yup overrated lol

Old 01-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #880
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

Nominated for a romantic comedy,just because it is fashionable among teens.Anyway, it can be very good actress but not as Mystique.

Last edited by Alison Blaire; 01-13-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #881
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Hahahaha my god, this thread has become so ridiculous.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #882
Filmboy
Banned User

I hope Lucas Till is returning.

Till, Jeremy Irvine and Alex Pettyfer is testing for the male lead role in Divergent. I hope Till gets cast as Four.

But I hope the filming of Divergent will not clash with Days of Future Past. Divergent is scheduled to start filming in April.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #883
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmboy View Post

Till, Jeremy Irvine and Alex Pettyfer is testing for the male lead role in Divergent. I hope Till gets cast as Four.

But I hope the filming of Divergent will not clash with Days of Future Past. Divergent is scheduled to start filming in April.

I hope he returns too; they can't just drop one of the only X-Men on the team.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #884
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Well If they want him back for Days of future past X_Men takes precendt because of his
contract.eather he won't do divergent or they would have to change schedule.

Just because several of first Class actors haven't been announced yet doesn't mean they aren't returning.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #885
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Nominated for a romantic comedy,just because it is fashionable among teens.Anyway, it can be very good actress but not as Mystique.
No.

Nominated for a terrific movie that she is phenomenal in.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #886
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

does it really matter what part singer had? all that matters is that once he came back to produce an Xmen film and whatever part he had in it we still got a half decent film if not good film

unless everyone wants hood and ratner to come back and direct some more Xmen?

Old 01-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #887
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think Jennifer Lawerence is one of the best young actresses out there. But I agree Raven sucks right now. That has more to do with the writers take on the character and less the actress though.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #888
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Quote:
Nope, you just don't have good taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #889
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmboy View Post

didnt have any idea about this casting news

Ive just seen that the lead actress will be Mary Jane from Amazing Spiderman sequel, and since that movie start shooting next month, I guess Divergent studio will have to wait for her, and if Lucas is choosen, for him too.

Id love to see Lucas getting bigger proyects. The biggest proyects for our young x-men, the possible bigger role for their characters in future x-men sequels.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #890
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Two things and I'm out:

1) IIRC, Superman Returns' $200 Mil+ budget includes all the other aborted Superman relaunches WB had done before Singer's SR. So really saying SR was working with a production budget of $200 Mil is uninformed.
2) McKellen, no-brainer for Magneto? Considering how people perceive (and how the character is drawn) to be this muscle-bound late 40-50's (if that) character from the comics, Singer and his casting directors grabbing McKellen (after he appeared in Singer's own Apt Pupil) is INSPIRED. This was all before LOTR too. If you think McKellen was a big star and was on every director and casting director's list for every older British character pre-2000, then you are sadly mistaken.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #891
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
didnt have any idea about this casting news

Ive just seen that the lead actress will be Mary Jane from Amazing Spiderman sequel, and since that movie start shooting next month, I guess Divergent studio will have to wait for her, and if Lucas is choosen, for him too.

Id love to see Lucas getting bigger proyects. The biggest proyects for our young x-men, the possible bigger role for their characters in future x-men sequels.
I wonder if Till isn't coming back as Havok? He was the biggest continuity screw-up, and the most out-of-place character, so they might be ditching him. Bad idea, in my view. Just make him truer to the character, and have the future time-traveller hear his name as Alex Summers and muttering to himself that he must be Scott's brother.

I also wish they would use the same mansion as in First Class. The one in the other films is in tons of movies and TV shows and I'm fed up of seeing it. The First Class one was different and fresh!

Old 01-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #892
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Nope, you just don't have good taste.
Ok, you have very good taste.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #893
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
No.

Nominated for a terrific movie that she is phenomenal in.
Exactly!

The dumb idea that it is nominated because apparently it's "fashionable with the teens" is ridiculous. The Academy wouldn't factor some BS like that in their decision.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #894
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

Naomi Watts must win for The impossible.She does make a great dramatic role in that movie.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #895
JP
Smelly

Watts is a non-factor. It's between Lawrence and Chastain.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #896
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

Have you seen Naomi Watts in The Impossible?
If you had seen your opinion would change.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #897
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I also wish they would use the same mansion as in First Class. The one in the other films is in tons of movies and TV shows and I'm fed up of seeing it. The First Class one was different and fresh!
It is different and fresh for the X-Men franchise, though I think everyone will associate it with Downton Abbey.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #898
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Jenifer Lawrence rules. End of. Moving on

Old 01-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #899
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I wonder if Till isn't coming back as Havok? He was the biggest continuity screw-up, and the most out-of-place character, so they might be ditching him. Bad idea, in my view. Just make him truer to the character, and have the future time-traveller hear his name as Alex Summers and muttering to himself that he must be Scott's brother.

yeah, even tv show Arrow uses the same X2 manssion. Each time I watch an episode I cant stop imagining the x-men there, lol

I kind of hate that each sequel has a different manssion. I think they need to DECIDE what manssion they want for the franchise and respect it for ALL the movies.

about Havok, I prayyyyyyy he is on this sequel, same with Banshee. Both were the first x-men on FC, so to drop them now of a sudden would be such a big mistake. We need a continuity vibe, not characters appearing and dissapearing quickly.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #900
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Watts is a non-factor. It's between Lawrence and Chastain.
Agree about Watts. But I think little Quvenzhané Wallis has a decent shot as well. Haven't seen Zero Dark Thirty though (and have no interest in it) so it's possible Chastain is going to knock everyone out of the park.

Quote:
No guarantee they won't use the same Brit mansion though! All we know is that all the mansions (plus one I didn't recognize) were on that board. I'd say they're all fair game. But I agree with you, every time I see that BC place I think of all the terrible, cheesy TV shows that used it... totally takes me out of the film. I just hope that if they don't go with the XMFC one they find one that looks a lot like it. Unlike the other X-films, a lot of the movie took place outside the mansion, with many shots of it and its surrounding fields. It'll be harder to suspend disbelief with one that looks completely different.

Closed Thread