The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #726
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Default Re: Pacific Rim - Part 1

I generally go for 2D anyway...most 3D films are not worth the extra cost.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #727
Liam_H
Side-Kick

I so want to believe these Twitter reactions but I've been burned too many times before.

Spill

Old 02-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #728
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

LOL Liam H, let's not forget all the bought and paid for John Carter reviews .

Plus some of these are probably from like Del Toro's friends and colleagues.

Now let me be clear. I like the Hellboy movies a lot but IMHO they aren't great movies and they are very flawed. I think fanboys let that Del Toro is a big geeky dude cloud their judgement sometimes. I know he doesn't like it as much, but Blade 2 I think is better than both Hellboy flicks.

- CM Punk
Old 02-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #729
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
I so want to believe these Twitter reactions but I've been burned too many times before.
I think Rian Johnson is a fairly trustworthy advocate.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #730
Liam_H
Side-Kick

He is but still best to take everything with a grain of salt until due time.

Spill

Old 02-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #731
CGHulk
Green Guy

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1...?articlePage=0

Quote:
Del Toro is halfway through finishing the special effects but Pacific Rim is already "the only movie I've done where I don't want it to end, frankly," says the filmmaker (Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth), who co-wrote the screenplay with Travis Beacham. And it won't have to end for now: They're already working on a sequel, he says.

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
Old 02-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #732
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Two reader reviews who attended the screening on Saturday up at AICN. The first one is pretty mixed and the second is very positive. Be warned that the first review is SPOILER HEAVY, feels the story is too cliched and uninteresting outside of the battles.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/60753

Spill

Old 02-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #733
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Two reader reviews who attended the screening on Saturday up at AICN. The first one is pretty mixed and the second is very positive. Be warned that the first review is SPOILER HEAVY, feels the story is too cliched and uninteresting outside of the battles.

Reviews like that always kind of make me laugh considering its a perfect description of A New Hope.

I'm less concerned about a story being "cliched" than about it being told well. An old story is not necessarily a bad or badly told one.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #734
Liam_H
Side-Kick

I agree and I hope theses type of scenes are executed well enough they don't drag the movie down. But the one thing I read I didn't like was how they didn't really show how these Kaiju are effecting the populace.

Spill

Old 02-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #735
samsnee
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post

Now let me be clear. I like the Hellboy movies a lot but IMHO they aren't great movies and they are very flawed. I think fanboys let that Del Toro is a big geeky dude cloud their judgement sometimes. I know he doesn't like it as much, but Blade 2 I think is better than both Hellboy flicks.
Completely agree. Blade 2 is the only GDT movie I really like. I like the Hellboy character but the movies are lacking.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #736
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Quote:

I like how the guy in the first review mentions all those other problems with the story, and is then confused why the Jaegers require two people to work.

And as far as cliches are concerned, it's not necessarily about the cliches themselves but how well they are executed and presented.

5-.-2-.-14

Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #737
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:

Didn't read the spoiler heavy one. The second one got me all giddy and ****! Exactly what I wanted to hear.

Here's the review:

Quote:
I was at the screening today. I don't want to spoil anything, but to get to the point- the movie ****in' rocks.

I have no background in any retro giant robot/monster movie this may be referencing, so I can only compare it to feeling like a mix of ID4 and the '98 Godzilla (the latter really only because most of the big fights take place at night in the rain). But I really felt (to quote Elsa) as giddy as a school boy throughout most of the film because it felt fresh. Y'know, NEW.

But it is a very simple story. It's just told in an incredible, wonderfully detailed, lived in universe.

Comparisons to Transformers will come, but it's amazing that even though those films are a little slicker looking technically, I felt far more emotionally invested in this one film than three of those.

Charlie Day and Ron Perlman were unexpected delights. They really bounce off each other well and I wish we could've had more banter with them in the sequels (which I hope there are). There are moments with Day that made me think of Rick Moranis in Ghostbusters, and this film really captures that same tone of uber crazy supernatural elements clashing with everyday, relatable folks. And that makes the movie more awesome.

Another great thing about this film is that it doesn't set up a sequel. It's one solid story that has a definitive end. That's something we haven't seen from a major, big budget, franchise film since I can't remember. But you know there will be more stories to tell. More importantly, you WANT there to be more stories to tell. This is a film that triggers the imagination with all the possible adventures these characters could go on and all the different types of monsters they could face.

I think my audience cheered and applauded three or four times during the big fights. And they are absolutely excellent. My mouth was open for most of them. 95% of the time you can clearly understand where everything is and who is fighting who. They're GRAND fights, truly epic, and they're edited to make you cheer and applaud.

Guillermo Del Toro was actually there and he was just shooting the **** with everyone in the lobby by the popcorn. I've met some famous folks/directors before but this guy was just a generous, down to earth, geekily compassionate dude. It was like I was talking to one of my buddies about movies. A note to studio execs- Let this guy do what he wants. He understands crowd pleasing and gives the audience a worthy experience.

I haven't felt this satisfied leaving a giant blockbuster since The Avengers, and I'm not even a big Marvel fan. WB has definitely got a *****in' new franchise.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #738
Victarion
Cut

Excellent...another step toward AtMOM.

“Evil is nothing but a word, an objectification where no objectification is necessary. Cast aside this notion of some external agency as the source of inconceivable inhumanity – the sad truth is our possession of an innate proclivity towards indifference, towards deliberate denial of mercy, towards disengaging all that is moral within us. But if that is too dire, let’s call it evil. And paint it with fire and venom.”
Old 02-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #739
Spideyfan93
Hayley Atwell I love you!

Still highly excited for this flick. We don't get movies like this anymore.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 02-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #740
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

I seriously can't wait to see this bad boy.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #741
Solidus
Kylo Ren

Hmmm so it seems they replaced a character, Ron Pearlman's seems to be Charlie Day's characters companion throughout their adventure? Because in the original script Charlie Day's character ran around with the main characters sister in law.

But I'm excited to hear people like it.

"If you don’t care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you don’t feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Old 02-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #742
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Hmmm so it seems they replaced a character, Ron Pearlman's seems to be Charlie Day's characters companion throughout their adventure? Because in the original script Charlie Day's character ran around with the main characters sister in law.

But I'm excited to hear people like it.
Yeah, sounds like they changed some things from the script. I like that. Keeps it interesting. I wonder if the main character still has a brother.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #743
Visceral
Side-Kick

I'm not really expecting substance from this, the actors look like they will carry their characters with enough charisma and the gritty style looks fine. This could get a 20% on the tomato meter and I'll still be in line.

“I need to know that every single one of you would die for the man next to him.”
Old 02-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #744
Figs
Banned User

I made the mistake of reading some of those comments in the talkback section under the reviews.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #745
Project862006
Banned User

^dude you should of know better aicn attracts the seas-pool of the online community it is just as bad as imdb

Old 02-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #746
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
^dude you should of know better aicn attracts the seas-pool of the online community it is just as bad as imdb
Hahaha, I know. I couldn't help myself. So many haters, it's ridiculous.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:13 AM   #747
BrollySupersj
Talent for disruption

It seems the "gorilla" type kaiju is everyone's favorite. How come there is no love for the goblin shark kaiju or The Tresspasser? Those two are my favorites so far.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #748
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post

I'm gonna have to agree here. While I liked Hellboy 1 and 2, I think Blade 2 is still Del Toro's strongest American/English film thus far. I think maybe there's an inherent disconnect with Hellboy (as a film franchise) with me since half of the cast are monsters and demons, but then again, Pixar was able to make Buzz and Woody work as the leads so...

I think Del Toro's reputations has preceded him, and I think his Spanish films are his strongest assets to his filmography while his American stuff are just okay. But I hope he knocks it out of the park with Pacific Rim.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #749
Project862006
Banned User

i love hellboy 2 i don't really remember blade 2 to be honest lol

Old 02-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #750
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Agreed with anti-Greek Octoberist.

Closed Thread