The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #176
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Default Re: What's the Last Book You Read/Finished? - Part 1 Page 1 Chapter 1 Paragraph - Pa

Wizard's First Rule ~ Terry Goodkind

Old 03-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #177
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Default Re: What's the Last Book You Read/Finished? - Part 1 Page 1 Chapter 1 Paragraph - Pa

Love that Goodkind.

ChickenScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #178
ComicChick
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

finally finished Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

started The Vampire Academy

I drawl, and I drawl. My Art Thread yall
ComicChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #179
Platinu

Emperor Mollusk versus the Sinister Brain. (Surprisingly awesome in a Megamind way)

Platinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #180
Crockett
With Teeth

Switch ***** by Roald Dahl. I was surprised by the writing in this collection of four short stories, it's more risqué since it's aimed for the adult audience but Dahl's humor is very much evident and makes it all the more enjoyable.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #181
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Finished Full Dark, No Stars. Man those were some grim stories, even for King. Great stuff though.

Starting Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #182
jacobed
Banned User

I didn't know if there was a thread for this but I'm curious if anyone has read Devil In The White City? Ken Levine mentioned it as an inspiration for Bioshock Infinite and I was curious if it was any good, certainly sounds interesting

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #183
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

The Exorcist --William Peter Blatty

Proud Co-founder of Gambit’s Royal Flush
squeekness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #184
Matt Mortem
SpookshowSpectacular

I finished the novelization of Rob Zombie's The Lords of Salem. I have no idea what the **** I read, but it kept my attention for all 326 pages.

Matt Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #185
Victarion
Cut

Count Brass by Michael Moorcock. Hawkmoon's unwitting sacrifice hit me right in the feels. For a book that's less than 300 pages, the plot was fairly ambitious:

After Duke Dorian Hawkmoon led the forces of Kamarg to victory against the Dark Empire of Granbretan, he settled down in Kamarg as the province's lord-protector with his wife, Count Brass's daughter, Yisselda.

During a meeting with others from the European nobility, Hawkmoon is accused of being a murderer who plotted to have Count Brass killed in the final battle in Londra, capital city of Granbretan. The accuser served with Count Brass during Brass's days as a mercenary. The accuser claims that Count Brass's ghost told him Hawkmoon was a conspirator to the throne of Kamarg and all of Germany.

Hawkmoon heads into the marshes of Kamarg to investigate. Along the way his horse is trapped in a mire; it dies and Hawkmoon is almost swallowed by the muck when he is rescued by Count Brass. Hawkmoon questions Count Brass and sees that this one is younger than the Count Brass he knew.

Count Brass tells Hawkmoon that he must kill Hawkmoon in order to be freed from his masters in the netherworld. Hawkmoon learns that his other companions who died at Londra are with Count Brass. However, none of them recollect their alliance and battles against Granbretan.

Hawkmoon discovers that a couple of scientists who served the King-Emperor of Granbretan managed to slip into another plane, to a different Earth. These scientists used their knowledge of space and time to pluck each of Hawkmoon's companions from near-death experiences in order to convince them that they--the scientists--were lords of the netherworld who would return the companions to life if they killed Hawkmoon.

These scientists want Hawkmoon dead because their efforts at reestablishing the Dark Empire of Granbretan were being thwarted across the planes of existence; on each plane there was someone similar to Hawkmoon who orchestrated uprisings and rebellions against their attempts at resurrecting the Dark Empire.

At the end, Hawkmoon is phasing through Time and manages to save Count Brass's life at the Battle of Londra, where he had initially died. In the next chapter, Hawkmoon is back in the mire and is rescued by Yisselda. Only its not really Yisselda; it's Count Brass.

Here's the kicker
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Hawkmoon made a comment to Yisselda earlier in the story about giving anything to have saved Count Brass at the Battle of Londra. By saving Count Brass in the Battle of Londra at the climax of this novel, Hawkmoon inadvertently allowed Yisselda (who was pregant with their children) to die on the battlefield.

We learn that since the end of the war with Granbretan, Hawkmoon has taken to roaming the marshes of Kamarg, visiting the ivy-grown ruins of an old church, and calling out for Yisselda on his wanderings through the marshes. The people of Kamarg believe Hawkmoon to be on a downward spiral into madness.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #186
Wyrminarrd
Side-Kick

"Small Favor" by Jim Butcher

Wyrminarrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #187
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

Old 04-06-2013, 04:07 AM   #188
Luane
Side-Kick

Few months ago I've finished the tenth and last book of a series written by D.J. MacHale, called Bobby Pendragon.
Now, I'm reading The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien

Last edited by Luane; 04-06-2013 at 04:15 AM.
Luane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #189
mongoose-mania
Gentleman

The Strategy of Satan by Warren Wiersbe

Disney Trivia from the Vault by Dave Smith

mongoose-mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:23 AM   #190
ComicChick
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

just finished book 3 of vampire academy. why are these so addicting?

Old 04-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #191
JaD
Thriller Night

Man's Search For Meaning - Viktor E. Frankl

Now reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
James Dean
JaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #192
ComicChick
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

started book 4 of vampire academy

Old 04-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #193
mongoose-mania
Gentleman

"Y: The Last Man" deluxe edition 4 by Brian K. Vaughan.

mongoose-mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #194
cabel
Side-Kick

"Dreams and Shadows" by C. Robert Cargill

Fantastic mythology building clashed with a modern setting. Memorable characters, great dialogue, though in my opinion the supporting characters out shine the leads most of the time.

cabel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #195
Wyrminarrd
Side-Kick

"Look to Windward" by Ian M. Banks

Wyrminarrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #196
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Stone of Tears ~ Terry Goodkind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenScratch View Post
Love that Goodkind.
Yeah, I can reread this series I don't know how many times, and still love it.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:40 PM   #197
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Read The Omen Machine yet?

ChickenScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #198
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I FINALLY finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. Due to lack of time I nearly dropped the book but I'm glad I finished it. It was ultimately a good read. It wouldn't break my top ten, but I enjoyed it. As someone previously stated, it was a bit light on plot detail but astounding with atmosphere. It's worth a read if anyone's interested.

I started Nights In Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks while on vacation. We'll see how long it takes me to read this one

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #199
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenScratch View Post
Read The Omen Machine yet?
Yeah. I kinda wish he hadn't continued the story, since I thought the ending of Confessor was a perfect way to cap off series, even though I love the characters and the world itself, Confessor just left them all in a happy place and you could just picture them having a "happily ever after". It has me a little worried that things are gonna go nowhere but down for the characters, since The Law of Nines kinda hinted that Kahlen and Richard had a less than happy ending.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #200
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Rereading Books of Blood, Vol. I-III.
Finishing Devil in the White City, which I highly recommend.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote