The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #876
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

I was pleased with the performance yesterday, we look a lot more composed at the moment than we did earlier in the season. Rafael, Rooney, Vidic and Carrick all played really well and Giggs somehow seems to have rediscovered his legs after a bad start to the season. Valencia was good defensively but is still offering very little going forward.

I notice very little was made of De Gea making two good saves and two strong punches in comparison to every time he makes a mistake. It was also interesting the way Hart's terrible display on Saturday was just brushed aside by the media.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit1982 View Post
I must admit I've not seen alot of Brazil in the past few years, but they just seemed so lackluster and lazy....even for Brazilians! But totally agree that it was nice to see something different from England, who'd have thunk that Woy would be the man to try and change it up?

It's probably just personal preference, but he seems to be playing more like he did when he burst onto the scene for England (especially the Munich 5-1) abit more defensive and controlled and alot less roy of the rovers.
After Brazil went out of the last World Cup the new manager scrapped all the old players and built the team around Neymar and players in his age bracket, I thought they were lackluster at both the 2011 Copa America and last years Olympics. Now they have Scholari back and are in a period of trying to mold the old with the new. Woy has always been known to be a student of the game but I am surprised he is the one to update England.

He's certainly playing the most disciplined CM role he has played in many a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Petrol View Post
Same was said in 97-98, and look what happened there. Ain't over until it's over.
Definitely, I think right now we look the more together as a team but a couple of weekends of Untied losing and City winning and the whole thing turns on it's head with a momentum switch.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 02-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #877
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
I was pleased with the performance yesterday, we look a lot more composed at the moment than we did earlier in the season. Rafael, Rooney, Vidic and Carrick all played really well and Giggs somehow seems to have rediscovered his legs after a bad start to the season. Valencia was good defensively but is still offering very little going forward.

I notice very little was made of De Gea making two good saves and two strong punches in comparison to every time he makes a mistake. It was also interesting the way Hart's terrible display on Saturday was just brushed aside by the media.........
I saw something about Hart being criticized for rolling up his sleeves.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 02-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #878
kit1982
Side-Kick

Yeh Joe Corrigan said it makes no sense to have the new style gloves with the sticky grips when your arms are bare. It's a fair point, especially in wetter weather your arms become very slippery compared to the material of a GK jersey.

I've seen alot of people in the media start to ask questions of Hart, but nothing compared to what De Gea gets. I mean I'm still shocked by how scathing GQ Jamie was of him for that Sturridge goal at Old Trafford a few weeks back.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #879
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Petrol View Post
Same was said in 97-98, and look what happened there. Ain't over until it's over.
As a Newcastle fan I know this kind of thing can never happen.

Wait.. !!

Old 02-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #880
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Joe Hart makes a lot more boneheaded mistakes than De Gea. I mean, what was he trying to do on that Zlatan goal for example. De Gea is more of a physical limitation. If De Gea was Hart's size, he would be the best GK in the world.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 02-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #881
kit1982
Side-Kick

Neither Hart or De Gea are particularly commanding,vocal or overly positive and thats got nowt to with size. I think both of them rely heavily on a strong centre back. With Harts build best in the PL?? Probably, but even then he'd be a way off Buffon who despite being the goalkeeping cliche is a master of the craft.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #882
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Does De Gea even speak English?

Old 02-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #883
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

I believe he does... can't see SAF letting him go this long without him having at least a basic knowledge of English...

Old 02-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #884
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Lee View Post
I believe he does... can't see SAF letting him go this long without him having at least a basic knowledge of English...
"Oh **** another cross."

Old 02-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #885
kit1982
Side-Kick

Just on Keepers I've been hugely impressed with Mignolet this season, I think he has everything to be a star.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #886
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Just on Keepers I've been hugely impressed with Mignolet this season, I think he has everything to be a star.
Definitely. I'm telling you, if Belgium can qualify for the World Cup in 2014, they have the talent to make some noise.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #887
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Speaking of keepers, I hope Chelsea recall Thibaut Courtois next season. Even if he starts as reserve to Cech he is a far better option than the current back-ups of Turnball and Hilarious, especially as Cech has been prone to injuries the last few seasons.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #888
kit1982
Side-Kick

Agreed Darth, not only have they got the overly skillfull guys like Hazard and Dembele, they have brutes who can play like Fellaini and Benteke. Not to mention Kompany, Verthongen and Vermalen........ it's a pretty awesome squad!

Old 02-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #889
kit1982
Side-Kick

Hilario's at least had some good games, WTF has Turnbull ever done to warrant being a professional footballer, let alone Chelsea's number 2!

Old 02-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #890
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

I'm positive I can do a better job than Turnbull. Give me a trial!

Old 02-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #891
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Agreed Darth, not only have they got the overly skillfull guys like Hazard and Dembele, they have brutes who can play like Fellaini and Benteke. Not to mention Kompany, Verthongen and Vermalen........ it's a pretty awesome squad!
Not to mention the likes of Witsel and Lukaku.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #892
ttotheusher
In the Palais

I only turned on for the last 15 minutes of this Liverpool match, looked like I turned on at the right time!

Old 02-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #893
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

unbelievable something ridiculous like 18 shots to 3 and we lost 2 nil Im actually lost for words

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 02-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #894
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

I have to admit Spidey, I could see it coming when Gerrard had the pen saved...

Old 02-12-2013, 01:31 AM   #895
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

yeah I could too at that point, failed to convert any chances at 75 mins it had smash and grab written all over it

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 02-12-2013, 02:03 AM   #896
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Not trying to stir trouble spidey but if Liverpool don't make the Europa League spots do you see Rodgers and Suarez still at the club next season?

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 02-12-2013, 02:31 AM   #897
ttotheusher
In the Palais

I have a feeling Suarez will be off in the Summer. Not to another PL team either, abroad somewhere. No evidence or anthing, just a gut feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
Definitely. I'm telling you, if Belgium can qualify for the World Cup in 2014, they have the talent to make some noise.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
Not to mention the likes of Witsel and Lukaku.
Me and the guys at work have the 'Belgium debate' a lot, and whilst were all in agreement they have a superb first 11, the problem lies with there lack of squad depth. Take Kompany out of defence, or Fellaini out of attack, and you will struggle to find players that can fill the gaps.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:34 AM   #898
aNarcHy2day
Screw You Mayans!

And then there is team work... I watched that warm-up game Belgium had with England last year before the Euros and there are too many stars in the team for any sort of cohesion. That said, put them in a big tournament and a team with their talent could be legitimate giant-killers!

Phil Jones was key in the victory over Everton I felt. He rendered Fellaini impotent and it was easy to take apart whatever else Everton could come up with in way of offence.

What mistakes did Joe Hart make? I must not have seen them through my tears of joy!

Also, Hunter, my IP gets intermittently banned for some reason (and I'm reasonably sure I've done nothing to warrant that). If you could please look into it...

Batman- Ben Affleck, 41
Superman- Henry Cavill, 29
Wonder Woman- Gal Gadot, 28
The Flash- Jake Gyllenhaal, 31
Green Lantern- Ryan Reynolds, 36; Idris Elba, 40
and
Vandal Savage- Javier Bardem, 43
Old 02-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #899
kit1982
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttotheusher View Post
Me and the guys at work have the 'Belgium debate' a lot, and whilst were all in agreement they have a superb first 11, the problem lies with there lack of squad depth. Take Kompany out of defence, or Fellaini out of attack, and you will struggle to find players that can fill the gaps.
I don't think Belgium could win the tournament but they could definately make a semi-final or thereabouts, I mean look at the semi finalists in the last WC. Uruguay don't exactly have a massive depth in their squad, but in a one off match they could give you a game. Thats what I see with Belgium. Say they qualify and get an easyish draw to the quarters and draw an Italy or Holland, if they had a full XI would you confidently back against them?

Old 02-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #900
the_ultimate_evil
CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

ok truthfully i despise them with all of my being but damn celtic are getting royally screwed tonight. this ref is pathetic

And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
To view my site tumblr dev art twitter
Closed Thread