The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
DarthQuiGon
Banned User

Default Best Current NFL Player

Who doesn't love Football and I think its time we profile today's star players of the gridiron. Of course some would say Flag Football League but that's another topic for another debate. There is plenty great NFL players

Round One Battle 1

Cam Newton

VS

Russell Wilson

Old 12-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
Big Green
Side-Kick

Default Re: Best Current NFL Player

Russell Wilson

Cam Newton is overrated

Old 12-30-2012, 02:14 AM   #3
WalkingDeadMike
#KNICKSTAPE

Cam is more talented, but Russell is the better player.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:15 AM   #4
DarthQuiGon
Banned User

Russell Because he may be small but he has a bigger heart for the game then Cam.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:40 AM   #5
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Green View Post
Russell Wilson

Cam Newton is overrated

Let's see. This year both RG3 and Luck broke one of Newton's records, yet neither one was able to break his passing [on 250+ less attempts] and rushing record simultaneously in the same season.

How's this for overrated, Cam didn't turn the ball over in five games (no other QB in league has accomplished that feat all season long). Imagine that.

Oh, guess who's leading the league in yards per attempt... and it's not even close. You guesses it. It's not Brady, Ryan, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, etc. It's Cam Newton. FYI, he's also leading the league in yards and TDs when corners and safeties blitz.

Cam has done all this behind a s***ty O-Line and virtually no running game (did I mention he's also the leading rusher on his team). So one has to wonder, is this just Cam-Hate or are you ignorant? [Rhetorical question].

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 12-30-2012, 04:00 AM   #6
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
As the final whistle blows in the Panthers’ final 2012 contest against New Orleans, Newton will have finished the greatest first two seasons we’ve ever seen out of an NFL quarterback. And at least in the realm of the regular season, it isn’t particularly close.

Newton enters Sunday with the following career statistics: 574-for-969 passing (59.2 percent), 7,672 yards, 40 touchdowns, 28 interceptions; 246 rushes for 1413 yards (5.7 per carry) and 22 more touchdowns. Newton’s 8,584 net yards — including 70 sacks taken for 501 lost yards — the Panthers star has an exactly 800 yard lead on Peyton Manning’s old 7,784 net yardage mark, the previous best for any quarterback in his first two seasons. Newton still has one game left.

Newton’s 7.9 yards per attempt ranks fourth (Ben Roethlisberger, Dan Marino, Mark Rypien). His 62 total touchdowns ranks second (Marino). Newton’s only major category away from the top: a 2.8 percent intereception rate, still 16th of the 78 quarterbacks since 1933 to start at least 20 games in their first two seasons. Only Andy Dalton attempted more passes than Newton of those above him on the list.

Looking deeper, Newton has compiled 244.2 EPA and 5.04 WPA. In the Advanced NFL Stats era — dating back to 2000 — only Aaron Rodgers has more EPA in his first two years as a full-time starter (at least 10 games started).

Newton’s 5.04 WPA ranks fifth, behind Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Tony Romo and Daunte Culpepper.
http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/advanc...rterback-ever/

Hmmmm, that can't be right. Cam is overrated. He's Vince Young 2.0.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:09 AM   #7
BatSpider
Not an S

Close Thread.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:16 AM   #8
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

It's definitely still between Peyton and Brady. Followed by Brees, Rodgers, Ryan and Eli.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:38 AM   #9
DarthQuiGon
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatSpider View Post
Close Thread.

This is by popular vote and hopefully Brady does not win but then he may. Believe it or not many don't like Giselle's husband.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:46 AM   #10
WalkingDeadMike
#KNICKSTAPE

Just off the top of my head, I'd vote for Adrian Peterson, J.J. Watt, Aaron Rodgers, and Darrell Revis over Brady.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:03 AM   #11
DarthQuiGon
Banned User

I think Rodgers will have more rings then Brady and think they have a good chance getting to the Superbowl if 49ers are takien out and Giants don't make it in.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
Kaleb
2010 SHHFFL Champ

currently? I would have to say its Calvin Johnson.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
Big Green
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post

Let's see. This year both RG3 and Luck broke one of Newton's records, yet neither one was able to break his passing [on 250+ less attempts] and rushing record simultaneously in the same season.

How's this for overrated, Cam didn't turn the ball over in five games (no other QB in league has accomplished that feat all season long). Imagine that.

Oh, guess who's leading the league in yards per attempt... and it's not even close. You guesses it. It's not Brady, Ryan, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, etc. It's Cam Newton. FYI, he's also leading the league in yards and TDs when corners and safeties blitz.

Cam has done all this behind a s***ty O-Line and virtually no running game (did I mention he's also the leading rusher on his team). So one has to wonder, is this just Cam-Hate or are you ignorant? [Rhetorical question].
And his team is under .500 and he would rather celebrate a touchdown when down by 28, sorry overrated might have been the wrong word. Selfish or there for himself might be a better term. Yeah your stats are nice, but look at his attitude. Him and Cutler can make every throw, but they can't handle adversity.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
Big Green
Side-Kick

And all of his "rookie" records came in garbage time. It's easy to complete passes against a cover 4

How many times has your boy led his team from behind for a victory? 2 in two years I believe.

A QB is judged by wins and losses homeboy this ain't fantasy football.

Last edited by Big Green; 12-30-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
And his team is under .500 and he would rather celebrate a touchdown when down by 28, sorry overrated might have been the wrong word. Selfish or there for himself might be a better term. Yeah your stats are nice, but look at his attitude. Him and Cutler can make every throw, but they can't handle adversity.
Now you're stretching, and it's pathetic. You talk about demeanor, and yet where was your judgemental ass when The Redskins were on a three game skid? Guess who was sulking on the bench alone? RG3. And where were you when Luck celebrated a 35 yard completion to Reggie Wayne being down 20 points to The Patriots? Selfish.

Quote:
And all of his "rookie" records came in garbage time. It's easy to complete passes against a cover 4

Wow. And I'm sure the Cover 2 is any better when the safeties are average to mediocre, huh?

Quote:
How many times has your boy led his team from behind for a victory? 2 in two years I believe.
Hmmm, Cam has had nine "game-winning" drives erased by the defense (which has featured rookies, UDFAs, reserve and practice squad players).

Quote:
A QB is judged by wins and losses homeboy this ain't fantasy football.
You're right, I guess Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman, Dan Marino, John Elway, etc were busts.

Complain all you want but Cam is the only reason why the Panthers' offense moves. It ain't because J-Stew and D-Will are having a great season. He places the team on his back and moves down the field. Now does he make mistakes here and there? Yep, what QB doesn't but when your O-Line is filled with injuries and tackles/guards playing center (who would rank a 45-60 rating in a Madden) what do you expect?

But who I am kidding? You don't care. You'll hate Cam even if he wins a Superbowl.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Old 12-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #16
DarthQuiGon
Banned User

How about we just vote for who is in the current battle and just have faith that am well aware who the best current players are.
Wilson is leading but Cam could still win

Old 12-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #17
Big Green
Side-Kick

Quote:

You're right, I guess Peyton Manning, John Elway, .
#'s 1 & 3 on the all time wins list, with mediocre defenses for most of their careers.

I get it your a Cam fan and I admire your defense of him, I truly do. I'm sorry I raised your ire with my comment. Never in any of my comments did I mention Luck or RG3. But you can't deny the fact that Newton played most of last year from behind, and as a Bronco fan who had to deal with watching Kyle Orton pile up stats while losing and at the end of the day stats mean nothing when you don't win. I just don't believe Cam Newton is worth all the Hype he receives yet, thus making him overrated. Win some games before you Superman celebrate and sign your Under Armour deals. Same goes with any young player in the league. If I see Wilson all over my T.v this offseason before he's earned it, I'll call him the same. Trust me I spent two years at ground zero of "Tebowmania" I kinda have a grasp on overrated hype.

For now, let's just agree to disagree.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #18
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
#'s 1 & 3 on the all time wins list, with mediocre defenses for most of their careers.
And Cam isn't dealing with a mediocre defense? Sure, we're a Top 10 defense now but it's only because Rivera is a defensive wizard and Luke Kuechly, Greg Hardy and Thomas Davis are playing their hearts out.

Our secondary is subpar. We have three rookies (two of them were late round picks and one went undrafted) starting back there and they're not fast.

Quote:
I get it your a Cam fan and I admire your defense of him, I truly do. I'm sorry I raised your ire with my comment. Never in any of my comments did I mention Luck or RG3. But you can't deny the fact that Newton played most of last year from behind, and as a Bronco fan who had to deal with watching Kyle Orton pile up stats while losing and at the end of the day stats mean nothing when you don't win. I just don't believe Cam Newton is worth all the Hype he receives yet, thus making him overrated. Win some games before you Superman celebrate and sign your Under Armour deals. Same goes with any young player in the league. If I see Wilson all over my T.v this offseason before he's earned it, I'll call him the same. Trust me I spent two years at ground zero of "Tebowmania" I kinda have a grasp on overrated hype.

For now, let's just agree to disagree.
There's a difference. Cam Newton isn't being overhyped. Haven't you been paying attention? Since RG3 and Luck arrived on the scene, the media is practically labeling him a bust and tearing into him. Dude, the NFL Network claimed that Newton was struggling this year because he was jealous of RG3. Have you even read his draft profile? It's basically just two pages of outright slander and criticism. Cam Newton before playing a single down was played in the NFL was declared a bust.

So again, how has he been overhyped? He's the most criticized QB in the league today.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 12-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #19
Belvedere
Side-Kick

Quote:
And Cam isn't dealing with a mediocre defense? Sure, we're a Top 10 defense now but it's only because Rivera is a defensive wizard and Luke Kuechly, Greg Hardy and Thomas Davis are playing their hearts out.

Our secondary is subpar. We have three rookies (two of them were late round picks and one went undrafted) starting back there and they're not fast.

There's a difference. Cam Newton isn't being overhyped. Haven't you been paying attention? Since RG3 and Luck arrived on the scene, the media is practically labeling him a bust and tearing into him. Dude, the NFL Network claimed that Newton was struggling this year because he was jealous of RG3. Have you even read his draft profile? It's basically just two pages of outright slander and criticism. Cam Newton before playing a single down was played in the NFL was declared a bust.

So again, how has he been overhyped? He's the most criticized QB in the league today.
Jay Cutler and Tony Romo send their regards.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #20
Big Green
Side-Kick

Quote:

Dude I'm done with this argument. I said my peace. I'm not gonna convince you otherwise, and you aren't gonna make me change my opinion. When he wins I'll label him a winner and deserving of the praise he recieves. Until that point he's just another starting QB in the league. I don't care what the Networks say, I've been watching football for 28 years I can formulate my own opinion. He's a top 20 Qb in a league with 32 teams. He's above average, I simply said he needs to do something before he can act and do the things he does. I understand it's a media driven world anymore, and everybody wants the flavor of the week. He just hasn't earned my praise yet.

But fine, so we don't have to keep doing this back and forth..., YOU ARE RIGHT, I'M SORRY I CALLED HIM OVERRATED. I hope he has a productive offseason, I'll be cheering my team on in the playoffs.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #21
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Call him what you want, but if he's average then so is Luck and RG3 then. I don't care how many years you've been watching football, I'd advise you to pick up a dictionary and look up the definition to 'overrated' because in order for Cam to be overrated and/or overhyped, it would require fans and analysts everywhere to proclaim him a Top 5 QB.

Good luck to your team. I know I'm looking forward to the off-season. Ross or Gamble could be our new GM, and that makes me very happy about our future.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #22
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belvedere View Post
Jay Cutler and Tony Romo send their regards.
I'd argue that Cam is chastised more often than Cutler but I'll you give Romo.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 12-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #23
Big Green
Side-Kick

Quote:
Call him what you want, but if he's average then so is Luck and RG3 then. I don't care how many years you've been watching football, I'd advise you to pick up a dictionary and look up the definition to 'overrated' because in order for Cam to be overrated and/or overhyped, it would require fans and analysts everywhere to proclaim him a Top 5 QB.

Good luck to your team. I know I'm looking forward to the off-season. Ross or Gamble could be our new GM, and that makes me very happy about our future.
Dude it sounds like you are just bitter because both the skins and the colts are in the playoffs while you guys are sitting at home. You keep bringing up Luck and RG3 when no one is even talking about them. The battle was between Wilson and Newton, and it looks like Wilson will have almost as many wins in his rookie year as Newton has. I really don't mind Cam, or the panthers.

I hope the pathers figure their team out, and I wish you guys luck next year. thank you for the discussion.

Main Entry: over·rate
Pronunciation: \ˈō-vər-ˌrāt\
Function: transitive verb
Date: 1610
: to rate, value, or estimate too highly <overrates his importance to the team

Last edited by Big Green; 12-30-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #24
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Dude it sounds like you are just bitter because both the skins and the colts are in the playoffs while you guys are sitting at home. You keep bringing up Luck and RG3 when no one is even talking about them. The battle was between Wilson and Newton, and it looks like Wilson will have almost as many wins in his rookie year as Newton has. I really don't mind Cam, or the panthers.
Yeah, I'm sure possessing a Top Three defense has nothing to do with that, huh?

I'm not bitter, I'm just a Panthers fan setting you straight about Cam Newton. Like him or not, he has a bright future. Even his detractors and critics know that now. As for me mentioning RG3 and Luck, it's warranted. Cam is constantly compared to both, Luck especially. In fact, Luck, in alot of ways is Newton. A smaller, slower, and less athletic version but both Luck and Newton are gunslingers who at times force plays and hold onto the ball too long.

Quote:
I hope the pathers figure their team out, and I wish you guys luck next year. thank you for the discussion.
I hope we do too. We still need two more drafts before we can be a playoff contender but I'm feeling good about the strides we made this year after such a rough start.

Good luck to you guys again.

Quote:
Main Entry: over·rate
Pronunciation: \ˈō-vər-ˌrāt\
Function: transitive verb
Date: 1610
: to rate, value, or estimate too highly <overrates his importance to the team
Take him out of the line up and you'll have a 1-15 team. Guaranteed. Remember, that's how we got the opportunity to draft him in the first place.

Anderson and Clausen? Win, with that O-Line? Whew! Good luck selling that to any football fan.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 12-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #25
Big Green
Side-Kick

Time will tell, I'm pulling for the guy. I'm sorry I called him overrated, I should have chosen my words better.

Closed Thread