Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 02:12 AM   #951
BatSpider
Not an S

Default Re: 2012 NFL thread: The Sanchez: An Expected Interception

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Or Gruden talking about any football player who plays in the National Football League
FTFY

Old 12-29-2012, 03:59 AM   #952
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

Even though a part of me would like to see Gruden go out and coach a team like Detroit or Philadelphia just to see how it'd turn out, I want him to stay on MNF. His commentary is so ridiculous, I love it. I also do enjoy how technical his commentary is. We don't really get commentary as technical as his with others.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #953
DarthQuiGon
Banned User

I think The Steelers need to retire some of the older players and do an Indy and rebuild some of the team.
I also think they need to look at there WR core and consider finding a WR veteran pick up that resembled Ward a bit. I don't think the X Jet is a suitable replacement in the since because Ward was the guy who I think was a great motivator in the other WR because his toughness

Old 12-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #954
NiteMare Shape
Livin' like a Sheen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound55 View Post
I think the position they've put themselves in, they HAVE to go with Sanchez. They gave him a ridiculous contract and they're stuck with him and all they can do is pray he shows SOMETHING anything that would help them deal him.

Tebow's a temporary problem to have. He'll be gone either way and easily enough.

Problem is they're terrible for each other and every time Sanchez steps on the field for the Jets he sinks even lower into despair.
I agree with hound, but I also think there's something else at play here.

Say Rex put Tebow in for the last game, and he plays well. Then he would probably face a real firestorm for not putting him in sooner. It could be a PR nightmare, one that would most likely end up with him getting fired. (according to what I hear, ownership is high on Rex, and I think he'll be given another shot)

So not starting Tebow could be more about survival than who is better suited to run that offense.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #955
Matt Mortem
Nintend'oh

I support the dissolution of the Jets so that there can be some other team for people to talk about. A team that bad really doesn't deserve all the attention it gets.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #956
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthQuiGon View Post
I think The Steelers need to retire some of the older players and do an Indy and rebuild some of the team.
I also think they need to look at there WR core and consider finding a WR veteran pick up that resembled Ward a bit. I don't think the X Jet is a suitable replacement in the since because Ward was the guy who I think was a great motivator in the other WR because his toughness
I remember being upset about Hines Ward being released. In hindsight, did it really help the Steelers at all? Yes, Hines Ward was 36, but Tony Gonzalez is still out there doing his thing too. He only wasn't producing as much because he was no longer deemed an option. Ward was the true captain of the offense and could have helped out for one more season. The Pittsburgh wide receiver core should be one of the best in the league. Mike Wallace is even faster than DeShawn Jackson. But something just isn't clicking. Haley sure as hell didn't improve anything, but they were still lacking when Arians was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
I support the dissolution of the Jets so that there can be some other team for people to talk about. A team that bad really doesn't deserve all the attention it gets.
Too bad ESPN is all over their nuts. It's ridiculous.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #957
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:

Anyone who thinks that Indy has rebuilt is fooling themselves. Indy hasn't rebuilt. So many of their wins have come right down to Luck's last minute heroics. Indy is plagued by the same problems they had last year and had during the entire Polian era. If you take the QB out of the mix, the team will entirely falter. The only improvement is, unlike the Manning offense, it seems like anyone can step in and run this one. It isn't tailored specifically to Luck (at least not as much as the old offense was tailored to Manning). But the Colts are making the same mistake they made last time. Building a mediocre team around a great quarterback and if Luck gets injured it will bite them the same way it did when Manning got injured.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #958
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I remember being upset about Hines Ward being released. In hindsight, did it really help the Steelers at all? Yes, Hines Ward was 36, but Tony Gonzalez is still out there doing his thing too. He only wasn't producing as much because he was no longer deemed an option. Ward was the true captain of the offense and could have helped out for one more season. The Pittsburgh wide receiver core should be one of the best in the league. Mike Wallace is even faster than DeShawn Jackson. But something just isn't clicking. Haley sure as hell didn't improve anything, but they were still lacking when Arians was there.
I personally think that the locker room is split and it is entirely Ben Roethlisberger's fault. It isn't really coming out because the Steelers at least seem to have the common sense to not talk to the media about their inner-turmoil but it seems pretty apparent to me. Roethlisberger had a chip on his shoulder from day one about Haley's hiring. Remember Roethlisberger's initial refusal to meet Haley? They took about three weeks after his hiring to meet and most internal sources said that Roethlisberger was ducking the meeting. Clearly he wanted to send a message to the Rooneys about firing his buddy.

Ever since they have met and since the season has started, Roethlisberger has clearly taken issue with Haley's more conservative play calling that doesn't always allow Roethlisberger to horde glory (at the expense of his health and his team). The thinly veiled shots at Haley to the media clearly haven't helped.

Exasperating the problem is the fact that Mike Tomlin has allowed it to happen. I don't know what happens behind closed doors (but even if there has been discipline it hasn't been effective), but Tomlin making public excuses for Rapistberger hasn't helped matters at all. He needed to fine Roethlisberger after the first remark and make it publicly known that such behavior is 100 % unacceptable. Instead Tomlin timidly made excuses and allowed it to continue.

Now I think we are seeing a split locker room where half of the team supports Roethlisberger and the other half dislike his attitude. This isn't the first time that this has happened either. Hines clearly disliked Roethlisberger. Remember the shot he took to the media about his recklessness and putting himself ahead of the team? I don't believe for one second that the two offensive captains having public dislike of one another had no detrimental effects on the locker room.

This **** never happened under Bill Cowher because Bill Cowher would never allow for a diva player to put himself ahead of the team without consequences. The real Mike Tomlin has been exposed recently, IMO. All of this drama happens because he allows it. Now his chickens are coming home to roost. I doubt he'll do anything to fix it next year. He'll continue to allow his quarterback to act like a diva and tear the team apart from the inside while Tomlin sits with his thumb up his ass and says stupid things that are meant to sound smart (but in reality are meaningless) like, "the standard is the standard." Well Mike, the standard under you has been one of incompetence and lack of discipline. So keep up that standard.

Last edited by Matt; 12-29-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #959
Matt Mortem
Nintend'oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post

Too bad ESPN is all over their nuts. It's ridiculous.
It's ****ing frustrating. There are a bunch of teams that are doing really well this season, and all I hear about is Sanchez and Tebow. They're both just awful QB's. Move on

Old 12-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #960
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Quote:
It's ****ing frustrating. There are a bunch of teams that are doing really well this season, and all I hear about is Sanchez and Tebow. They're both just awful QB's. Move on

then why does Tebpw have a DVD or two out and the spokesman for TiVo?!?!

Okay, okay, TiVo I can....well, Tivo is like Blockbuster stores...on the way out

Old 12-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #961
Dr. Evil
Gamora

why is it necessary for Fox to go to former Head of Officials Mike Pereira every time they need a rule clarified?

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 12-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #962
Holiday
'Bout that action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
why is it necessary for Fox to go to former Head of Officials Mike Pereira every time they need a rule clarified?
Because otherwise they'd be paying him for nothing.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #963
DarthQuiGon
Banned User

Quote:
Vikings and Colts should be getting press because they are a surprise to me.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #964
Burgundy LaRue
Side-Kick

The Colts fell apart last year because they had absolutely no good option at QB. When you have a workhorse like Peyton under center, it can be argued that you don't really need a backup QB, especially since the offense Peyton runs is specifically for him. However, I believe if Kerry Collins had stayed healthy, he may have managed to win 4 or 5 games in 2011. He was nothing great, but Collins is a lot better than Curtis Painter and there was enough talent around to muster some effort.

To say the Colts are making the same mistakes they did with Peyton is premature. I think they realize they need to do more to help Luck. Get a real running game for starters. Donald Brown has done little and Vick Ballard is more of a complimentary RB. Reggie Wayne is still going strong, but they can't count on him forever. They need more WRs. I like them at tight end. The sooner they look for replacments for Freeney and Mathis, the better. They have a lot of young players on the squad. With time, they could be something good or even great. But they need to fill some key spots soon.

Oh, and the Colts are getting attention, but it's nearly all about Chuck Pagano and his health.

As for Roethlisberger, I'm of the mind that once he wasn't cut by the Steelers after his rape accusations, he would eventually think he was bigger than the team. Who is to blame for Ben still being on the team? Considering that Santonio Holmes got traded for a 5th round pick because of his legal troubles, I'd thought the Rooneys would can Ben for sure. They didn't. I don't know why they didn't. But if we look into that, I think we find the source of a lot of the problems with Ben.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #965
Hound55
Byfar The Most Evil Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue View Post
The Colts fell apart last year because they had absolutely no good option at QB. When you have a workhorse like Peyton under center, it can be argued that you don't really need a backup QB, especially since the offense Peyton runs is specifically for him. However, I believe if Kerry Collins had stayed healthy, he may have managed to win 4 or 5 games in 2011. He was nothing great, but Collins is a lot better than Curtis Painter and there was enough talent around to muster some effort.

To say the Colts are making the same mistakes they did with Peyton is premature. I think they realize they need to do more to help Luck. Get a real running game for starters. Donald Brown has done little and Vick Ballard is more of a complimentary RB. Reggie Wayne is still going strong, but they can't count on him forever. They need more WRs. I like them at tight end. The sooner they look for replacments for Freeney and Mathis, the better. They have a lot of young players on the squad. With time, they could be something good or even great. But they need to fill some key spots soon.

Oh, and the Colts are getting attention, but it's nearly all about Chuck Pagano and his health.

As for Roethlisberger, I'm of the mind that once he wasn't cut by the Steelers after his rape accusations, he would eventually think he was bigger than the team. Who is to blame for Ben still being on the team? Considering that Santonio Holmes got traded for a 5th round pick because of his legal troubles, I'd thought the Rooneys would can Ben for sure. They didn't. I don't know why they didn't. But if we look into that, I think we find the source of a lot of the problems with Ben.
Not to mention that Luck has made it perfectly clear that he likes and knows how to use his tight ends both in college and in the pros... So he doesn't exactly need Gronk or the next Gonzalez to get production from there.

16,18, not much difference mentally or physically. It's a number over there. Here however it's the difference between mid life crisis with hot chicks with daddy issues and pound me in the ass prison. - Anubis

More Anubis' greatest hits:
"Families are Gods way of teaching us to get along with people we don't particularly like."
Old 12-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #966
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I personally think that the locker room is split and it is entirely Ben Roethlisberger's fault. It isn't really coming out because the Steelers at least seem to have the common sense to not talk to the media about their inner-turmoil but it seems pretty apparent to me. Roethlisberger had a chip on his shoulder from day one about Haley's hiring. Remember Roethlisberger's initial refusal to meet Haley? They took about three weeks after his hiring to meet and most internal sources said that Roethlisberger was ducking the meeting. Clearly he wanted to send a message to the Rooneys about firing his buddy.

Ever since they have met and since the season has started, Roethlisberger has clearly taken issue with Haley's more conservative play calling that doesn't always allow Roethlisberger to horde glory (at the expense of his health and his team). The thinly veiled shots at Haley to the media clearly haven't helped.

Exasperating the problem is the fact that Mike Tomlin has allowed it to happen. I don't know what happens behind closed doors (but even if there has been discipline it hasn't been effective), but Tomlin making public excuses for Rapistberger hasn't helped matters at all. He needed to fine Roethlisberger after the first remark and make it publicly known that such behavior is 100 % unacceptable. Instead Tomlin timidly made excuses and allowed it to continue.

Now I think we are seeing a split locker room where half of the team supports Roethlisberger and the other half dislike his attitude. This isn't the first time that this has happened either. Hines clearly disliked Roethlisberger. Remember the shot he took to the media about his recklessness and putting himself ahead of the team? I don't believe for one second that the two offensive captains having public dislike of one another had no detrimental effects on the locker room.

This **** never happened under Bill Cowher because Bill Cowher would never allow for a diva player to put himself ahead of the team without consequences. The real Mike Tomlin has been exposed recently, IMO. All of this drama happens because he allows it. Now his chickens are coming home to roost. I doubt he'll do anything to fix it next year. He'll continue to allow his quarterback to act like a diva and tear the team apart from the inside while Tomlin sits with his thumb up his ass and says stupid things that are meant to sound smart (but in reality are meaningless) like, "the standard is the standard." Well Mike, the standard under you has been one of incompetence and lack of discipline. So keep up that standard.
That's a good post, man. I agree 100%. The split locker room theory is a sound one. One thing about Haley, though. If there is one thing about Haley that I did like, it's that his offense gave Roethlisberger the best protection he's had in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue View Post
Oh man, Santonio Holmes. The dude was an idiot. I can't defend him about that. However, I am sure he is still salty to this day about him being released for his legal troubles, but Roethlisberger got to stay after being accused of rape the second time.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:41 AM   #967
DarthQuiGon
Banned User

In my opinion RG3 has seemed more impressive out of the QBs rookies but also what the Seahawks have done with the former Wisconsin QB has to be the best story.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:24 AM   #968
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
In my opinion RG3 has seemed more impressive out of the QBs rookies but also what the Seahawks have done with the former Wisconsin QB has to be the best story.
Listen, I know you love your Seahawks [that much is obvious], but Wilson was drafted onto a more developed team. Luck, on the other hand, took a team that was destined for a 4-12 season into the playoffs.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 12-30-2012, 05:06 AM   #969
DarthQuiGon
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Listen, I know you love your Seahawks [that much is obvious], but Wilson was drafted onto a more developed team. Luck, on the other hand, took a team that was destined for a 4-12 season into the playoffs.
I am no seahawks fan. Actually out of the 3 I am Skins fan after Steelers and Packers of course.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #970
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

Frankly; I don't think that Wilson should be in the ROTY race. He is impressive because no one saw him coming but he still pales in comparison to RG3 and Luck. As for that debate, I think RG3 is much more impressive than Luck.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #971
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

ESPN is acting like Tony Romo is some sort of victim of the big bad media. Also, with the way they're talking you'd think Dallas is on a 20 year playoff drought and a win tonight is the equivalent to winning the Super Bowl.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #972
Hound55
Byfar The Most Evil Thing

I think he's a greater victim of his decision to take time off for after the holidays in most seasons...

16,18, not much difference mentally or physically. It's a number over there. Here however it's the difference between mid life crisis with hot chicks with daddy issues and pound me in the ass prison. - Anubis

More Anubis' greatest hits:
"Families are Gods way of teaching us to get along with people we don't particularly like."
Old 12-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #973
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Good to see Chuck Pagano back on the sidelines.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 12-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #974
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed

Th Eagles with an onside kick to start the game! Why not? You're out of the playoffs and it might be Reid's last game.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #975
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Frankly; I don't think that Wilson should be in the ROTY race. He is impressive because no one saw him coming but he still pales in comparison to RG3 and Luck. As for that debate, I think RG3 is much more impressive than Luck.
RG3's numbers are more impressive than Luck's, no doubt, but Luck has like 7-8 comeback wins. Granted, a 53% completion rate and 18 interceptions are unimpressive, yet Andrew has done more with less.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Closed Thread