The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Justice League > Justice League Parts One & Two

Old 12-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #126
Dark Knight
Banned User

Default Re: Darkseid is the Villain in Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
Seems a bit premature to use Darkseid, and like they're trying to ride the coat tails of Thanos from Avengers.

Silly comment Majik.

Darkseid is far more popular among even the general movie going public as well as the fanboys than Thanos??

Give me a break.

Darkseid has been around far longer than Thanos as well.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #127
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorstone View Post
Why do some fans want Warner to milk things with lesser villains before moving to Darkseid? You wouldn't do Transformers without Megatron or He-man without Skeletor. Darkseid is the ultimate DC cosmic villain.

They could connect Darkseid to the destruction of Krypton.

Cause people don't get it.

Just as long as Darkseid is NOT killed off at the end of the first JL film, then they can expand more on Apokolips....Orion, the New Gods etc in JL sequels. Maybe even have Sinestro and his Corp have an alliance with Darkseid? Who knows. The creative possibilities are endless.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #128
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
Really people really think it's tough to compete against the avengers? That movie was childish, boring, and immature. Totally unrealistic and out of character for most of them. It was as bad as batman and robin imo. People I think when they say compete with this movie are talking about matching it dollar for dollar. That won't happen so don't go in trying to do that. Just make a good movie. A tone serious as MOS and go from there. This is pretty simple. Destroy avengers in how to take a comic team up movie serious and blow it out thew water. And go with Bruce Wayne. This is simple folds. Who cares if Darkseid and thanos are similar. Worry about your own movie. God, let me direct the dam thing.

Agreed with everything you said here.

JL can still have fun moments, but Avengers was mainly a silly kids movie and an eyecandy popcorn flick like Transformers. No depth at all to it really.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #129
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Darkseid is the perfect villain for this movie, whist the execution wasn't perfect the new 52 JL origin is a great story and reason for these heroes to get together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Chances are we'll be getting Superman, Batman (Bruce Wayne probs), Wonder Woman, Flash (Barry Allen) and Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) versus Darkseid.

That sounds pretty epic to me.
Sounds great to me, I think it's best to start with those 5

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #130
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
what do you mean? of course he's the villain.
I think it's more likely that they will build him up, probably mainly through GOTG, and than have him as the major villain in the third movie. Where the Avengers would have to save the entire universe instead of just Earth.

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #131
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

As far as Darkseid goes, it is a dodgy choice, given that Thanos is being set up for Avengers 2. However, it's not really fair saying that Darkseid as the villain is just an attempt to rip off Thanos, as Darkseid has been the total no-brainer fan favourite choice to be a JLA movie villain for years and years, since long before anyone had the slightest inkling Thanos would be showing up in the Avengers film.

Yes, there are some issues with using him, but he remains a good choice. The Geoff Johns/Jim Lee Justice League comic showed how the threat of Darkseid makes for a threat convincingly massive enough to require these heavy-hitter heroes to join together. Does topping him in future films then become difficult? Perhaps. But that's a problem to worry about when it comes time to develop those future films. I for one HATE this mentality of "Oooooh, let's pull our punches in the first film and slowly build up to the really good stuff at the end of the trilogy." That's shoddy logic. You don't hold stuff back for future films, because there might not BE any future films. You make the movie you're making NOW as big and bold and AWESOME as you can, and then trying to top that afterwards is a fresh challenge. Filmmakers need to stop thinking in terms of franchise and start thinking in terms of making each individual film as great as possible. THAT'S how you get franchises that endure.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #132
The Guard
Side-Kick

Its not like Darkseid can't be "topped". Crisis, anyone?

Also, it's not like death has to end the threat he poses...he's Darkseid.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #133
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Also, just because Darkseid and Thanos are ostensibly similar doesn't mean they can't be used as the villains in equally compelling but quite drastically different stories. I don't think anyone's accused Final Crisis of being an Infinity Gauntlet ripoff. Not that I'd recommend Final Crisis be the basis for any JL film, not unless we want to open the third eyes of filmgoers everywhere...

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #134
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Dark Knight, you take the cake for "silly comments". The irony of that statement, given what followed it, made my day. your use of the word "popcorn" (gasp!) was somehow both a non sequitor and apropos. Bravo. (consolation prize to the last son)

Kudos to Majik for eliciting such a goofy response. Well played sir.

on-topic: I still think JL sans solo movies is a really really bad idea, but if theyre gonna go aheah, Darkseid makes sense as the villain. I wouldve preferred him in a Superman movie, but he makes sense as the Big Bad of a JL movie.

That said, the GA very well could suspect that WB is merely copying Marvel by using a vaguely similar villain. Depends on the design and characterization of course.

Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #135
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I don't think Darkseid is a good choice for the first JL movie. I would only bring him in JL 2 or 3.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #136
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Who would you prefer?

Old 12-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #137
Nathan

Or you could use Darkseid for all 3 Movies.

JL1: Gets barely defeated at the end and sent back to Apokolips.
JL2: His presence is felt throughout the Movie, he sends agents to earth, provides criminals with weapons and tech, gathers info on the League's weaknesses. Maybe have someone manage to steal contingency plans from Batman's computer. No idea who you'd make the big bad though that the League fights.
JL3: The Movie starts early with a full assault on earth. Boom tubes open across the globe, at key locations, the military is crippled within hours and the League Members get strategically taken out, like in Justice League: Doom and Superman is taken prisoner. Orion appears and takes the remaining League members to New Genesis, where they reveal who and what Darkseid is, and promising earth and the League their aid to defeat Darkseid.

And I want the final fight to be between Darkseid and Superman alone, while the League and the New Gods take care of his forces around the planet.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 12-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #138
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Cassidy View Post
Who would you prefer?
Who would I prefer or who I think would be the best choice from the way they're doing everything and from the way things turned out? If it was up to me, I would've introduced Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern (Hal), and Flash (Barry) in their own solo films and then would've brought them together in the first JL movie. Then I would've used the White Martians and I would've made the film not only be the origin story for the Justice League but the origin story for Martian Manhunter as well (a total of 6 JL members).

However, even though it's what I would want to see, I don't think it's that of a good idea to do now not only because they'll be pushing JL out by 2015 without any solo lead-ups (minus maybe Superman) but also because the White Martians might seem to redundant due to The Avengers and due to the fact that they've already been used so many times in multiple JL mediums. I really don't know who would be a good choice based on this. Any good powerful interesting villain executed well will do. I think Starro or the Injustice Gang would be good choices. I just don't see Darkseid being a good choice for the first film especially since WB/DC is at a high chance of making him seem like a Thanos ripoff and Avengers 2 and JL will come out around the same time. Not saying it 100% can't be done well though.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #139
samsnee
Side-Kick

I think it's just a bad idea to bring him in so soon. I want the first movie to be an introduction of core league first, and how they interact one another. It doesn't need to be a rip-off off Avengers, but I don't see how they can introduce all the heroes, their interactions with one another, and still give Darkseid time for development as well.

Knock Avengers all you want, but you have to give it credit that Loki was given great screen time, and actually interacted with each of the Avengers. I feel like WB is just going to pull another Parallax and just have Darkseid as a threat, only to show up at the end and be defeated (kind of like the Smallville finale).

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #140
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I'm worried they will screw this movie up big time in terms of character portrayals and not just with Darkseid but with everyone. The same studio that couldn't get any character right in live-action other than Batman and Superman now wants to throw their biggest characters together in one movie. If they aren't yet capable of doing justice to Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, and Flash individually then what makes people think they can do justice to all of them at once?

Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #141
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

I don't really think they need any solo lead-ups. Did 'Lord of the Rings'? No. Did 'Star Wars'? No.

Last edited by Jake Cassidy; 12-05-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:44 PM   #142
samsnee
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I'm worried they will screw this movie up big time in terms of character portrayals and not just with Darkseid but with everyone. The same studio that couldn't get any character right in live-action other than Batman and Superman now wants to throw their biggest characters together in one movie. If they aren't yet capable of doing justice to Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, and Flash individually then what makes people think they can do justice to all of them at once?
Because, um wizards?

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #143
DaveMoral
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Or you could use Darkseid for all 3 Movies.

JL1: Gets barely defeated at the end and sent back to Apokolips.
JL2: His presence is felt throughout the Movie, he sends agents to earth, provides criminals with weapons and tech, gathers info on the League's weaknesses. Maybe have someone manage to steal contingency plans from Batman's computer. No idea who you'd make the big bad though that the League fights.
JL3: The Movie starts early with a full assault on earth. Boom tubes open across the globe, at key locations, the military is crippled within hours and the League Members get strategically taken out, like in Justice League: Doom and Superman is taken prisoner. Orion appears and takes the remaining League members to New Genesis, where they reveal who and what Darkseid is, and promising earth and the League their aid to defeat Darkseid.

And I want the final fight to be between Darkseid and Superman alone, while the League and the New Gods take care of his forces around the planet.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I was thinking they could take a page from Star Wars. Darkseid is the Empire. But you don't pull your punches for the first film. You hit it out of the park with everything you've got. If that takes, then you come up with the idea for the next movie. Darkseid is a freaking immortal, so he is free game for as many films as you need. And he's not one guy. He brings an entire planet of Hell with him, and all hes demonic forces, and his lieutenants.

The only way I can conceivably see JL working without Darkseid is to do Crisis on Infinite Earths as the first story. And talk about frakking with audiences minds and expectations. Anti-Monitor, merging of initially separate superhero film universes into one... jeez. That would probably be too much.

DaveMoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #144
Raoul Duke
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Agreed with everything you said here.

JL can still have fun moments, but Avengers was mainly a silly kids movie and an eyecandy popcorn flick like Transformers. No depth at all to it really.
If you expect a JLA movie to be any "deeper" than Avengers you are grossly mistaken.

Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #145
Raoul Duke
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Exactly! Thanos is weak sauce compared to the mighty Lord Darkseid!
darkseid hasn't done anything noteworthy in the comics for about 20 years. he's actually been a laughing stock for the last couple of decades, a pale shadow of the great villain jack kirby created.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #146
Nathan

Viewing Darkseid and his forces as the Empire sounds like a solid idea. He'd definitely offer enough material for multiple Movies. Btw, what does everyone think of the idea of Superman getting brainwashed by Darkseid and leading his armies?

I'd love to eventually see something like this in the Movies. Would be a great excuse to have the League fight Superman and without him holding back.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #147
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
darkseid hasn't done anything noteworthy in the comics for about 20 years. he's actually been a laughing stock for the last couple of decades, a pale shadow of the great villain jack kirby created.
That's not true.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #148
Raoul Duke
Banned User

yes it is. what, apart from final crisis, has darkseid done that is relevant or interesting in the last 20 years? all i can think of is him falling down some steps and becoming a mere punching bag for superman. he's nothing compared to what he was in the great darkness saga and other stories from back in the day. hell, his name has become a joke. "jobberseid".

Old 12-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #149
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
yes it is. what, apart from final crisis, has darkseid done that is relevant or interesting in the last 20 years? all i can think of is him falling down some steps and becoming a mere punching bag for superman. he's nothing compared to what he was in the great darkness saga and other stories from back in the day. hell, his name has become a joke. "jobberseid".
Seven Soldiers, Final Crisis, the entire Batman Reborn era as a result, and bringing the Justice League together in the first place.

And I don't see how you can call Darkseid a laughing stock in defense of the guy that's most well-known for a Thanoscopter.

Last edited by HighFivingMF; 12-06-2012 at 09:39 AM.
HighFivingMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #150
Raoul Duke
Banned User

whilst the thanoscopter was funny, i think he's more well known for becoming the god of the universe and killing all the avengers, plus spider-man and pretty much every other a-lister?

my point is, up until final crisis, and seven soldiers too i guess, darkseid became a laughing stock. a pale shadow of his former self. this is undeniable. i mean, i didn't just pull the name "jobberseid" out of no where and i'm definitely not making up the part where he fell down some steps like a chump. in recent years, as in, the last 5 or 6, dc has been trying to rehabilitate his standing in the comics, to varying degrees of success, jla not being one of them. whilst thanos has been successful and not a laughing stock ever since infinity gauntlet which was like, 15 years ago.

true darkseid has been awesome in the cartoons, thanks to ironside. but who watches those cartoons? about 100,000 people. so this idea that darkseid is more prevalent in pop culture is also laughable.

in summary, i think it will be awesome to see both darkseid and thanos on the big screen. they are both great, and very, very different villains, despite their superficial similarities.