The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Justice League > Justice League

Old 12-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #176
Raoul Duke
Banned User

Default Re: Darkseid is the Villain in Justice League

and superhero squad is awesome, ya dig?

let's not be children having a marvel vs dc pissing contest. i had that enough on the cbr boards. i'm simply stating facts. it's only recently that darkseids image in the comics has been improved. for a good 20 years he became a running joke.

Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #177
DaveMoral
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
and superhero squad is awesome, ya dig?

let's not be children having a marvel vs dc pissing contest. i had that enough on the cbr boards. i'm simply stating facts. it's only recently that darkseids image in the comics has been improved. for a good 20 years he became a running joke.
Super Hero Squad is awesome... but it's also goofy, and Thanos is just as goofy as every other character in that show.

DaveMoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #178
Raoul Duke
Banned User

aaaaaannnnnddddd...? so is darkseid falling down some steps with his minions barely containing their laughter (and that was actual canon!). what is your point?

Old 12-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #179
DaveMoral
Side-Kick

I don't even know what you're talking about. I'm just saying, the most exposure Thanos has had recently is as a joke. While you're bringing up obscure comic stuff that's got way less exposure than Thanos being a funny guy on SHS.

DaveMoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #180
Raoul Duke
Banned User

my point is... who cares about exposure? exposure means nothing. the avengers just went and made 1.5 billion dollars, 500 million more than batman and 700 million more than spider-man and doesn't feature a single a-lister. well, maybe hulk i guess.

all you need to do is create great portrayals of these characters in appealing movies and that is it.

but marvel has a slight head start because they know what they are doing with avengers and the marvel universe. all their film makers and writers are being pulled in one direction by one man; kevin feige. dc doesn't have that. and i think that is what they need rather than lead in movies etc. they just need a guy with a distinct vision who can pull this all together.

popularity and exposure of characters is completely irrelevant.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #181
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Who knows if avengers would have done as well if it hadn't had 5 films that helped lead up to it and build up the hype. JL won't have that. All it will have is batman/supes popularity and any actors depending on how big they are.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #182
Raoul Duke
Banned User

the 5 films leading up to it obviously helped. especially considering the characters were basically b listers at best. but 1.5 billion is an awful lot of money. it must have pulled in some viewers who had no interest in the prior films.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:12 AM   #183
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

If the JL movie is done right then I don't think it's too much to ask that it be as big a hit as Avengers. It has a lot going for it and should be a big hit. I don't think JL should settle for being second best just because Avengers made their movie first.

Willi Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:11 AM   #184
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

I think a big portion of the GA that went to see the Avengers were chicks who wanted to see eye candy RDJ, Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans.

imagine 1 billion geeks going to see the flick, only half of them have girlfriends so .. here is your 1.5 billion.

NosfeRomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #185
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Berg View Post
I think it works differently in a movie. Comics move more quickly. I think the JL movie has to introduce the idea of the world filled with many superheroes. It can't go straight into a world where superheroes are the norm. I don't think that is how they will approach it. I think the presence of all these heroes will start to be exposed and the heroes will meet each other and realise a common threat, a world threat.
Heres the thing.Creating a world that has superheros running around for a while is not hard.The Incredibles did it in one go.I say set the Justice league in a time where superheroes are the norm-the advantage is that it does away the need for origins just like it did in incredibles.That doesnt mean superheroes are embraced though people still fear them,a fear the Hyperclan can exploit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
Who knows if avengers would have done as well if it hadn't had 5 films that helped lead up to it and build up the hype. JL won't have that. All it will have is batman/supes popularity and any actors depending on how big they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
the 5 films leading up to it obviously helped. especially considering the characters were basically b listers at best. but 1.5 billion is an awful lot of money. it must have pulled in some viewers who had no interest in the prior films.
I have created a thread that disccusses the merits and demerits of not having solo movies.This discussion can continue in there.Link below
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=402897

Last edited by Zionite1; 12-07-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Zionite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #186
cleverusername8
Or something like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosfeRomas View Post
I think a big portion of the GA that went to see the Avengers were chicks who wanted to see eye candy RDJ, Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans.

imagine 1 billion geeks going to see the flick, only half of them have girlfriends so .. here is your 1.5 billion.
And further than that, we have to take multiple viewers into account. I can't tell you how many people I've heard saying that they went to see it two or three times. Then some REALLY hardcore people saw it five or six times. But to pull that off, the movie itself will have to have top notch entertainment quality.

cleverusername8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #187
thorstone
Side-Kick

Other than Iron Man (1); all of the Marvel movies were as awful as Green Lantern, and none of Marvel's A-list characters were available other than Hulk (whose movies were such **** that they recasted him a third time for Avengers). The Avengers also had a B-list villain while JL will have the baddest villain Jack Kirby ever created.

Justice League is going to have three A-list heroes in Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman (the only legit super heroine to appear on screen since X-men), and they have the momentum of three great Batman movies. Hopefully Man of Steel will be as entertaining as The Dark Knight films.

thorstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #188
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Everyone you may discuss the merits and demerits of not having solo movies here.
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=402897

This thread for Darkseid

Zionite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #189
cleverusername8
Or something like that

I don't remember if this has come up or not, but what're ideas for voice actors?

Some may roll their eyes at this, but I really like what Tony Todd did with the Fallen in Transformers ROTF. If he won't do it, someone who can emulate that voice.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #190
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverusername8 View Post
I don't remember if this has come up or not, but what're ideas for voice actors?

Some may roll their eyes at this, but I really like what Tony Todd did with the Fallen in Transformers ROTF. If he won't do it, someone who can emulate that voice.
I don't see why anyone would roll their eyes at Tony Todd. He's ****ing awesome. But I'd rather see him played by an actor with make-up. Or a performance capture.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #191
cleverusername8
Or something like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
I don't see why anyone would roll their eyes at Tony Todd. He's ****ing awesome. But I'd rather see him played by an actor with make-up. Or a performance capture.
Even if mo-cap they'd have to get a voice actor. I feel like having a makeup/costume wearing Darkseid wouldn't go over so well especially since he's supposed to be towering and bulky further than normal humans.

I wasn't sure if people would have a negative reaction to bringing up Transformers 2 which I will admit to enjoying the first time I saw it.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #192
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverusername8 View Post
Even if mo-cap they'd have to get a voice actor. I feel like having a makeup/costume wearing Darkseid wouldn't go over so well especially since he's supposed to be towering and bulky further than normal humans.

I wasn't sure if people would have a negative reaction to bringing up Transformers 2 which I will admit to enjoying the first time I saw it.
Not with performance capture. Motion capture is when a person does it and a voice actor comes in later. Performance capture is the actor doing the voice wearing the mo-cap suit.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #193
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Berg View Post
If the JL movie is done right then I don't think it's too much to ask that it be as big a hit as Avengers. It has a lot going for it and should be a big hit. I don't think JL should settle for being second best just because Avengers made their movie first.
Marvel didnt make ONE movie first. They made SIX movies first. And the first FIVE tied directly into the sixth. Big big difference. And by the time JL comes out, the number of marvel movies - which again will tie into The Avengers 2 - will be TEN. Not to mention a TV SHOW!!

The only way WB is even in the conversation is if MoS is a huge hit. And I mean HUGE. Regardless, it will be several years before DC/WB are anything but second best. Right now theyre merely aspiring to be second best. It would be a step up from where they are now. I take no pleasure in saying this as I'm a huge fan of Bats/Supes/MM/Flash/WW and more than a few of their b-listers.

on-topic: so should Darkseid be completely CG or a live actor/cg/makeup combo?

Last edited by Joeyjojo72; 12-07-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #194
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I'm for the combo. Darkseid doesn't need to be a big CGI beast towering over everyone. He's a little taller than Superman in the Timmverse, doesn't make him any less badass.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #195
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
Marvel didnt make ONE movie first. They made SIX movies first. And the first FIVE tied directly into the sixth. Big big difference. And by the time JL comes out, the number of marvel movies - which again will tie into The Avengers 2 - will be TEN. Not to mention a TV SHOW!!

The only way WB is even in the conversation is if MoS is a huge hit. And I mean HUGE. Regardless, it will be several years before DC/WB are anything but second best. Right now theyre merely aspiring to be second best. It would be a step up from where they are now. I take no pleasure in saying this as I'm a huge fan of Bats/Supes/MM/Flash/WW and more than a few of their b-listers.

on-topic: so should Darkseid be completely CG or a live actor/cg/makeup combo?
I'm not talking about DC vs. Marvel or WB vs. Marvel and all their movies, I'm talking about the JL movie being as good (at least) as the Avengers movie in terms of quality and box-office. It will be a mammoth task, but I am saying that the attitude seems to be some sort of resignation that the first Avengers movie can never be topped. It did what it did well, it was entertaining, but I don't think it's the be-all and end-all. I want the JL movie to be a better movie than that, and I want it to be a bigger hit than that. I am not saying it will happen, but of course JL fans want that and shouldn't expect less.

Willi Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #196
MLSkinner
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorstone View Post
Other than Iron Man (1); all of the Marvel movies were as awful as Green Lantern, and none of Marvel's A-list characters were available other than Hulk (whose movies were such **** that they recasted him a third time for Avengers). The Avengers also had a B-list villain while JL will have the baddest villain Jack Kirby ever created.

Justice League is going to have three A-list heroes in Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman (the only legit super heroine to appear on screen since X-men), and they have the momentum of three great Batman movies. Hopefully Man of Steel will be as entertaining as The Dark Knight films.
Someone doesn't have their facts straight. Banner was recast because Feige and Norton couldn't come to terms with a contract. Norton wanted creative input like he had with the incredible hulk and Feige didn't want that. All the marvel movies received mostly positive reviews (see rottentomatoes). Don't be a hater. Oh and Hiddleston as Loki was masterful. Tom is a great actor which Feige should get massive credit for getting him for the role. As for wonder woman being the only legit heroine since x-men, selene from underworld would like to have a word with you. christ sakes, they haven't even casted her yet and you are celebrating. calm down.

MLSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #197
Fudgie
Banned User

Best news ever.

Darkseid rocks. He's a behemoth of a villain.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:56 AM   #198
thorstone
Side-Kick

I have no idea why people want Darkseid to be CGI. There is nothing about the character that demands a giant actor or a computer generated body. What Darkseid needs is a great actor in the 50-60 year old range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSkinner View Post
Someone doesn't have their facts straight. Banner was recast because Feige and Norton couldn't come to terms with a contract. Norton wanted creative input like he had with the incredible hulk and Feige didn't want that. All the marvel movies received mostly positive reviews (see rottentomatoes). Don't be a hater. Oh and Hiddleston as Loki was masterful. Tom is a great actor which Feige should get massive credit for getting him for the role. As for wonder woman being the only legit heroine since x-men, selene from underworld would like to have a word with you. christ sakes, they haven't even casted her yet and you are celebrating. calm down.
Underworld isn't based on a comic book.

thorstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #199
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorstone View Post

So wait...Despite $1.2 B worth of solo film gross (equal to the Hugh Jackman Wolverine trilogy) Iron Man is still not an a-Lister in your eyes? Yet Wonder Woman is, based on a tv show from 35 years ago?

All 4 of the big Avengers are A-listers now, and were A-listers going into the Avengers because Marvel made them big names in solo films. Solo films that averaged a higher performance than the X-Men films (and no one calls the X-Men b-list.) Going into Justice League, Wonder Woman has less cache than any of those Avengers solo characters due to being basically a halloween costume for the last 30 years.

Anyway, regardless if Darkseid came first in the comic, and is more famous pre-movie, Thanos will hit first on film, and some people are nervous about how the public perception will be. Some people called Doctor Doom a poor man's Darth Vader when the Fantastic 4 movie came out, even though Doom inspired Vader and predated him by 15 years.

Personally, I hate the idea of Justice League tip toeing around things to avoid Avengers comparisons. I want a Justice League movie with their top villain, and that's Darkseid. I don't want to see some obscuro JLA villain just to avoid Avengers comparisons, so I'm 100% on board with Darkseid. Bring on Darkseid, Orion, Desad, Kalibak, Stepenwolf, Para-Demons, etc.

Darkseid done right is a significantly different villain than Thanos done right anyway...Thanos is much more of a loner, where as Darkseid's dynamic would be more of an army/ ensemble of villains.

Last edited by KangConquers; 12-08-2012 at 07:37 AM.
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #200
cleverusername8
Or something like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
So wait...Despite $1.2 B worth of solo film gross (equal to the Hugh Jackman Wolverine trilogy) Iron Man is still not an a-Lister in your eyes? Yet Wonder Woman is, based on a tv show from 35 years ago?

All 4 of the big Avengers are A-listers now, and were A-listers going into the Avengers because Marvel made them big names in solo films. Solo films that averaged a higher performance than the X-Men films (and no one calls the X-Men b-list.) Going into Justice League, Wonder Woman has less cache than any of those Avengers solo characters due to being basically a halloween costume for the last 30 years.

Anyway, regardless if Darkseid came first in the comic, and is more famous pre-movie, Thanos will hit first on film, and some people are nervous about how the public perception will be. Some people called Doctor Doom a poor man's Darth Vader when the Fantastic 4 movie came out, even though Doom inspired Vader and predated him by 15 years.

Personally, I hate the idea of Justice League tip toeing around things to avoid Avengers comparisons. I want a Justice League movie with their top villain, and that's Darkseid. I don't want to see some obscuro JLA villain just to avoid Avengers comparisons, so I'm 100% on board with Darkseid. Bring on Darkseid, Orion, Desad, Kalibak, Stepenwolf, Para-Demons, etc.

Darkseid done right is a significantly different villain than Thanos done right anyway...Thanos is much more of a loner, where as Darkseid's dynamic would be more of an army/ ensemble of villains.
The reason WW is A-list is because of her place in pop culture. Anybody and almost everybody knows and could identify pictures of Wonder Woman in the general public. She's probably the third best known DC hero after Superman and Batman and before 2008, she was probably more recognizable than Iron Man.

To the people who don't want Darkseid to be CGI, I don't see where YOU guys are coming from :/ A live action man in makeup? I just cannot fathom why WB would do that. The performance capture seems reasonable, but no less than that at least.