The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #651
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 18

Let's just be glad that we're not living during the age where the only way to see previews for films were by seeing them when they were attached to the showings of other films, ala the early 90's and before.lol

I'm sure there were quite a few people who would have appreciated having access to watching the trailers for "Batman" (1989 version) back when the first few sets of trailers were released without having to watch another film to do so.lol

Old 12-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #652
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Let's just be glad that we're not living during the age where the only way to see previews for films were by seeing them when they were attached to the showings of other films, ala the early 90's and before.lol

I'm sure there were quite a few people who would have appreciated having access to watching the trailers for "Batman" (1989 version) back when the first few sets of trailers were released without having to watch another film to do so.lol
We recorded commercials. hahaha Especially when the first TMNT movie came out. I lost my little mind! LOL

And I'll take one of those Shirts too please!

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 12-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #653
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
It should. Dear old JJ doesn't have nearly as good an eye for visuals as Zachary.
Actually JJ is really great in this dept.(check out all the teasers for the first trek, then MI3). If anything it's Fav's who sucks.
I do think Zack is in the upper class here though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post
Io9 has this to say about the Star Trek trailer:

So if that's just an online teaser for the longer trailer, perhaps we'll get a short edit of the MoS trailer beforehand too? Ey WB ey ey?
not with WB's marketing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Yeah. The realism of the effects is WETAs department. But in terms of Snyder's part, I think the key is to frame all the carnage with the true human element. Show the actual stakes. Not focus on some MichaelBaygasm shot but on Lois and other innocents with genuine fear and concern. Show their struggle.
Actually bay is more often than not about the human element with his effects. He's very much attached to the human element that it's his go to play when dealing with a property that really isn't all about humans. Then there is that big silly shot of the robot jumping over the lady in TF1 that drives the point home...If anything his insistence on shooting most action form the human perspective that really pushed the shaky cam over the edge in that first film.
Then there is the building shot in TF3...most of it shot from the interior.

Quote:
Those were the good old days. When I would leave a theater truly in awe.

The early days of apple trailers was a thing of unadulterated joy.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #654
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Actually bay is more often than not about the human element with his effects. He's very much attached to the human element that it's his go to play when dealing with a property that really isn't all about humans. Then there is that big silly shot of the robot jumping over the lady in TF1 that drives the point home...If anything his insistence on shooting most action form the human perspective that really pushed the shaky cam over the edge in that first film.
Then there is the building shot in TF3...most of it shot from the interior.
Yeah I see what you mean. Bay gets alot of the framing of it right in perspective with people. But his films are still soulless and feel inconsequential ultimately. But I mean more the story/editing. The craziness should serve as the backdrop to emotional drama. Our attention should be directed on Superman and Lois' and whoevers struggle and not lost in some big sequence of CGI.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #655
Verbal21
Side-Kick

Quote:

Reminds me of all the people paying for a ticket for "Meet Joe Black" just to see the Star Wars EP I trailer and then walking out.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #656
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmangambit View Post
Really... You're really going to bring religion into this! can we just have one Epic film where there is no parallels to any frickin' religion!

The one thing I would like about religion in this film is maybe worldwide shots when he appears, people mass hysteria etc, denial and even loss of faith would be amazing, because that is what would happen.

That's the only religious aspect I want to see.
You really should deal with it, tons and tons of comic books and novels have clear allusions and metaphors which relate to the bible, because, well.the bible itself is one big allegory, and it's the most famous one, one big mythology that reaches to millions of people.

Superman more than anyone, a godly figure, a messanic saviour, almost a christ like symbol, take away that connection and you sap out a lot of the character subtext and you just get left a great big dope in a red cape.

Sure at it's core it is and should always be a superhero action film and not get too bogged down in character reflexion or religious and spiritual imagery, but I'd personally be disappointed if they were left out in favour of handing us another generic man saves world film. This is the prime superhero property in our history, it all begins and ends with this guy...he deserves a little more than your bog standard thor/green lantern/daredevil treatment.

Oh do you even NEED me to explain the whole Kal-El/Moses thing?

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10

Last edited by Sharkboy; 12-06-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #657
Glassjaw
In training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbal21 View Post
Reminds me of all the people paying for a ticket for "Meet Joe Black" just to see the Star Wars EP I trailer and then walking out.
Yikes, were getting a much better deal out of this

Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #658
DIRECTOR
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post
Yikes, were getting a much better deal out of this
times have changed, people change

Old 12-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #659
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Ah yes. The Phantom Menace. There will never be another film that hyped ever again. Not even TDK was that hyped.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #660
knowsbleed
electrically relaxed

I'll definitely stick around to watch The Hobbit... even if it's supposed to look like a soap opera due to the high FPS.

knowsbleed is a vagatarian
Old 12-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #661
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsbleed View Post
I'll definitely stick around to watch The Hobbit... even if it's supposed to look like a soap opera due to the high FPS.
Only a handful of theatres are even playing the high frame rate. Unless you are pretty intentional about seeking out the high frame rate, chances are you'll be watching standard 24 fps.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #662
FilmNerdJamie
We. Are. Hunter. RIDER!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Ah yes. The Phantom Menace. There will never be another film that hyped ever again. Not even TDK was that hyped.
Damn straight.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #663
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Quote:
believe it nor, independence day was more hyped/tracked higher/did better its opening 5 day.

R.I.P. Heath
Old 12-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #664
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

How does one go about figuring out what the most hyped films of all time were, apart from subjective opinion?

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #665
X Knight
Straight Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Only a handful of theatres are even playing the high frame rate. Unless you are pretty intentional about seeking out the high frame rate, chances are you'll be watching standard 24 fps.
how can you tell if your theater will play it at the higher frame rate?

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #666
Marvin
Side-Kick

ID4 had broader appeal(even within it's casting), even sally sue was taken with the miniature monuments destruction and aliens and star gate music.

Ep1 however, had the full might of the genre crowd behind it.

Tough call.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #667
FilmNerdJamie
We. Are. Hunter. RIDER!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel View Post
believe it nor, independence day was more hyped/tracked higher/did better its opening 5 day.
Incorrect.

Phantom Menace did $105 in 5 days.
Independence Day did $84M in 5 days.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #668
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Yeah I see what you mean. Bay gets alot of the framing of it right in perspective with people. But his films are still soulless and feel inconsequential ultimately. But I mean more the story/editing. The craziness should serve as the backdrop to emotional drama. Our attention should be directed on Superman and Lois' and whoevers struggle and not lost in some big sequence of CGI.
I assume you're talking about his toy commercial films. That's debatable, and I truly get a different response when I question the kids(of which I used to be one), about how soulful and consequential the films are. I think bay is trying to make fun summer fare at his base and he's doing it with some pretty big disadvantages in his face. Still I see your point.

I saw Armageddon, when I was 14ish and I was very moved. To me that crew were bigger more relatable heroes than most superhero's today. And the feeling I got from that final march to and fro the rocket ship is a feeling I've always longed for again, especially with superhero fare.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #669
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Incorrect.

Phantom Menace did $105 in 5 days.
Independence Day did $84M in 5 days.
That can't possibly count for inflation...it can't.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #670
knowsbleed
electrically relaxed

They are only 3 years apart... the difference in inflation couldn't be that drastic.

knowsbleed is a vagatarian
Old 12-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #671
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Just walked that Trek announcement trailer and WOW that is how you do it!

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 12-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #672
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

That Star Trek trailer (or teaser or trailer teaser or whatever) is pretty amazing. If they're going to top that, then MOS needs to really bring it or its trailer will be out-classed.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #673
Glassjaw
In training

One way the MoS trailer could definitely top it is in the music stakes, don't get me wrong the Star Trek trailer is great, but the music is too generic to add much to the awesome visuals. Compare that to the huge emotional sweeps of MoS' Comic Con music, and the later ends up packing the bigger emotional punch. If something similiar is done for this new trailer, I can imagine even the most casual comic book fan to be swept up with it.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #674
The Shield
It's really Happening!

It was pretty awesome. I want to wet my self after watching the MOS trailer! lol Or something like that. hehe

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 12-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #675
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

We need a few quick shots of Superman ripping through a slew of robots or whatever Zod's army is with some sweeping shots of Zod's gigantic spaceship over Metropolis. Something to really show that this is the Superman movie everyone's been waiting for. If they can pull off those shots, with that hyper-realism visual thing they have going on it could be unbelievably epic. Wouldn't hurt to throw in a couple good lines from Amy Adams to get that segment of the population interested as well.

Closed Thread