The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #476
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

I still don't really get the love that Avengers is getting. I read #1 and thought it was decent, I guess, but nothing special. I guess it felt to me how Snyder's Batman feels to a lot of people (I actually love that book). It seemed like Hickman spent an entire issue saying "look how awesome my book is going to be!" without actually making an awesome book.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #477
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Quote:
Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
Namor deserves to die...really he should be on hiatus right now.

BTW Thor is the best Title out right now
These are some bold claims homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Or he'll just whip out some kinda Dehydration machine and drop his ass with the push of a button.
A dehydrated Namor is a weakling or just weaker than his normal self? Genuine question.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:16 AM   #478
Anubis
Sup?

Well, you wont have to do much, he'd be near death. Technically it would be an auto win.

H.E.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:37 AM   #479
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
I'd be all for a Sentry return if he's TREATED PROPERLY!!!! Bendis did an alright job at times but the rest of the time he was just a nut job. Handle him more like how he was in Jenkins' mini and I'd be all for it.
I think he did well with Sentry to begin with, but trailed off a bit towards the end. I thought his end with Siege was epic though.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #480
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I liked Bendis' Sentry most of the time... he just didn't hold up to the original mini, which is to this day one of my favorite comics. I loved the Siege stuff in Dark Avengers and the main mini.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #481
StreetWarrior
Respectfully disagreeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Darko View Post
I still don't really get the love that Avengers is getting. I read #1 and thought it was decent, I guess, but nothing special. I guess it felt to me how Snyder's Batman feels to a lot of people (I actually love that book). It seemed like Hickman spent an entire issue saying "look how awesome my book is going to be!" without actually making an awesome book.
I think many people loved Hickman's Avengers relaunch because of what came before it. To call Bendis controversial is a bit of an understatement. Some (mostly newer) readers loved how he took the Avengers in a new direction, adding "street-level" heroes and ignoring prior continuity. Older fans despised his writing style, (often) anti-climatic stories, and failure to pay respect to the writers who laid the foundations for everything before Disassembled. So, in a sense, Hickman represents a return to glory for many Avengers fans.

I've been reading the Avengers since Busiek took over in 1998 and, in my opinion, Hickmans Avengers and New Avengers relaunches have been the best Avengers issues in at least 9 years. I really don't understand why people aren't enjoying these titles more. The complaining about Bendis was constant for nearly 8 years and we get an author who is the exact opposite (writes epic stories, better characterization, respects continuity, etc.) and people still aren't happy.

EDIT: This wasn't meant as a personal attack on anyone - I'm just frustrated with the fan response. It seems that, for once, Marvel is putting something of quality out for the Avengers and people are focusing on any flaw, no matter how minor and finding any reason not to enjoy the title. The first issue (or two) may have been set up. How do you jump right into the action without having the plot come off as nonsensical, ala any Michael Bay movie?

Last edited by StreetWarrior; 01-11-2013 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Tone
Old 01-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #482
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Darko View Post
Not quite. Snyder takes great ideas and turns them into Michael Bay movies.

You're right, Hickman first issue didn't do much more than simply serve as an announcement for his upcoming run, but isn't that really want a first issue should do? It set the tone in an explosive, defined method that served as a stark contrast to the previous Avengers books of the past 10, 15, even 20 years and that's exciting all unto itself.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #483
Havok83
Side-Kick

I just wish the Now launches had been more consistent, uniform and made sense bc a lot didnt. I think it works have been better had they planned it for all books that were ending, ended all in the same month and all the #1s came out at the same time. I was shocked to see Secret Avengers still at #36 bc I thought it had already had its relaunch. I still don't even get the logic behind the Red She Hulk numbering not being a #1. Some of the books are really good but I think Marvel could have handled this better and made it easier to follow. JMO

Old 01-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #484
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
I just wish the Now launches had been more consistent, uniform and made sense bc a lot didnt. I think it works have been better had they planned it for all books that were ending, ended all in the same month and all the #1s came out at the same time. I was shocked to see Secret Avengers still at #36 bc I thought it had already had its relaunch. I still don't even get the logic behind the Red She Hulk numbering not being a #1. Some of the books are really good but I think Marvel could have handled this better and made it easier to follow. JMO
I too am baffled as to why Marvel didn't relaunch some books. Red She-Hulk and Journey into Mystery probably would have done a lot better with new #1s as opposed to already entering cancellation territory. I also feel as if Marvel is kinda blowing their load with this relaunch while still announcing new books. With the new books being announced, I just don't get what else is there to be announced considering that all of their bases from Avengers to Hulk to Spider-Man to Captain America to Iron Man to the X-Men have already been covered. I think it would have been simpler if Marvel relaunched their line the way DC did.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #485
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

But then they'd be called copycats and they couldn't have that. Spreading out the relaunches makes it fresh and inovative

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
Old 01-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #486
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
I too am baffled as to why Marvel didn't relaunch some books. Red She-Hulk and Journey into Mystery probably would have done a lot better with new #1s as opposed to already entering cancellation territory. I also feel as if Marvel is kinda blowing their load with this relaunch while still announcing new books. With the new books being announced, I just don't get what else is there to be announced considering that all of their bases from Avengers to Hulk to Spider-Man to Captain America to Iron Man to the X-Men have already been covered. I think it would have been simpler if Marvel relaunched their line the way DC did.
Yeah I was shocked to see them still be doing teasers like for that XX book.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #487
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
I just don't get what else is there to be announced considering that all of their bases from Avengers to Hulk to Spider-Man to Captain America to Iron Man to the X-Men have already been covered.
You could've just said Avengers

http://myth-smith.com/
Old 01-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #488
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Out of curiosity... how many #1s have Marvel released in the Marvel NOW initiative so far?

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 01-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #489
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal Spoons View Post
These are some bold claims homeboy

A dehydrated Namor is a weakling or just weaker than his normal self? Genuine question.
No he does after what he did in AvX, and frankly he's really light on "deaths" for a marvel character..honestly I don't even know when he's died ever , if anyone can refresh me, aside from maybe onslaught..

I love namor too..he just kinda deserves to get his ass kicked.

MARVEL, BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL NEW WARRIORS!
Old 01-12-2013, 12:23 AM   #490
BillPardy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal Spoons View Post

Weaker. I seem to remember him holding his own against Iron Man while dehydrated... then he set off the buildings sprinkler system and stomped him around for awhile. I love me some Namor.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:26 AM   #491
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Black Panther vowed to kill Namor after the Illuminati's work is done in New Avengers. I thought that was funny. Mostly because I don't really care about Namor at this point. They've bumped his moral ambiguity thing up to the point that he's worse than most villains now, so I'm rooting for T'challa on this one.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:22 AM   #492
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

I'm sure T'Challa'll win whatever "fight" they have b/c he needs the vindication.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:47 AM   #493
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Black Panther vowed to kill Namor after the Illuminati's work is done in New Avengers. I thought that was funny. Mostly because I don't really care about Namor at this point. They've bumped his moral ambiguity thing up to the point that he's worse than most villains now, so I'm rooting for T'challa on this one.
He's the Black Panther, he has his reasons.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:48 AM   #494
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Well he used to be a villian, so Im not surprised. I dont really see him as such though and dont think he's really done anything that makes him worse than one. Im not counting his assault on Wakanda in AvX bc like the rest of the P5, he was taken over and influenced by an outside cosmic force

Old 01-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #495
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Yeah, Colossus tried to date-rape Kitty and he ain't that kinda guy

Old 01-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #496
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Wakanda wasn't exactly the first time Namor's tried to wipe out whole cities. He's a hero when it's convenient for him, which makes him the very worst kind in my book.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #497
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Corp, you're so virtuous it's sickening.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #498
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

I'm really not. That's why I prefer my heroes to be.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #499
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

I like 'em Namory, Red Hoody, and and Task Mastery

Old 01-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #500
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I'm more into Chambery, Cyborgy, Maggotty, Icemany.

Aka... the underdogs and other guys.

But ultimately, I prefer the overly good guys.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Closed Thread