The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 01:25 AM   #526
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

Im kinda ambivalent about Bendis and Im still jealous. If Morrison or BKV tweeted me I sweah i would positively swoon!

Old 01-15-2013, 01:54 AM   #527
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

It's not always a good thing.

Through Twitter I learned that one of my favorite writers (Brian Wood) is so pessimistic in real life that I kinda wish an asteroid would fall on him and put him out of his misery.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:54 AM   #528
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I can die happy. I'm also going to London Comic Con this Feb

Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 AM   #529
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

There's a Cincinnati Comic Con coming up soon (first time ever) and I'm debating on going. A bunch of my friends are excited about it and planning to go and asked me to come. Funny thing is that I'm the only comic book reader among us.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
Old 01-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #530
def28
Side-Kick

Its pretty crazy how everyone just loves going to those things. Im always shocked that even my "I hate comics and everything mainstream" friends love going to cons or want to go. Im usually the only one in artist alley out of my group. One of these days they will see the light.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #531
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I'm not even sure if I want to go. I'm not a fan of crowds and I don't expect any big announcements since it's a small con. I've never had any big wish to meet comic book writers or artists, or get signatures. If anything I'd just go for the experience of it or to hang out with friends. I don't even really know what goes on at a con.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 01-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #532
def28
Side-Kick

I would check if there are any decent panels goen on first. If not and you dont wanna meet the artists or witers I would just say save your cash and the drive. Usually you can check out all thats on the floor and cosplayers pretty quick, so you might be kinda bored after an hour. The smaller cons arent usually too bad on the crowds though, so could be a better first exp just to check out to see if you dig it or not. I dont do good with the crowds either, and def have had a better time at the more low pro ones. Usually the last day is pretty dead, but theres really not much to do or see at that point.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #533
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
It's not always a good thing.

Through Twitter I learned that one of my favorite writers (Brian Wood) is so pessimistic in real life that I kinda wish an asteroid would fall on him and put him out of his misery.
Note to self: follow Brian Wood on Twitter; he sounds awesome.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #534
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

Looks really promising, especially with the creative staff.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/than...n-bianchi.html

MARVEL, BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL NEW WARRIORS!
Old 01-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #535
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Hmm... I like Thanos but I'm growing weary of origin stories and flashbacks (possibly due to the 0 month DC just had). Aaron's good and Bianchi is decent but I think I'll pass.

A stinking interview with Bendis got me curious about Guardians of the Galaxy though... dang it. I might end up trying that.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 01-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #536
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

I'll probably pick up Thanos: Rising for the novelty of someone other than Jim Starlin telling Thanos' backstory more than anything else.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:54 AM   #537
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I've pre-ordered Young Avengers to be signed by Gillen and Mckelvie never buy the American comics. I always buy the CEs.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #538
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
Hmm... I like Thanos but I'm growing weary of origin stories and flashbacks (possibly due to the 0 month DC just had). Aaron's good and Bianchi is decent but I think I'll pass.

A stinking interview with Bendis got me curious about Guardians of the Galaxy though... dang it. I might end up trying that.
Oh please, like anybody needs to twist your arm to get you to buy a Bendis book....

Old 01-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #539
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

That's not really fair to say. Have you ever heard me name a writer that I WOULDN'T read? As apposed to you negative nillies. I don't follow writers, I follow characters. I don't even have a favorite writer. Remender would likely be closest and I don't even follow all of his stuff.

I like Bendis but if I'm not interested in the characters he's writing I don't bother. That's why I dropped adjectiveless Avengers and Avengers Assembled, why I didn't bother with the Spider-Woman series or Daredevil series until they were both way done. I've never bothered with Ultimate Spider-Man and don't plan to.

I always felt that the GotG were DnA's weakest cosmic work, though I like the characters, and Iron Man's always been one of my least favorite characters. Therefore, I wasn't interested in picking this up. However, Bendis' talk of some of his plans for the book and what Earth means to the great cosmic landscape now has me interested in the overall plot. I don't know if I'll buy it, but I'll at least give the first issue a skim. The plot sounds good, there are characters I like, and it has a good artist (for the first arc likely)... so why wouldn't I try it if a skim of the first issue holds up?

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 01-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #540
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Because it'll be terrible.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #541
Number 6
Be seeing you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
I've pre-ordered Young Avengers to be signed by Gillen and Mckelvie never buy the American comics. I always buy the CEs.
Oh, did you get the O'Malley cover, too? That'd be perfect.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #542
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
That's not really fair to say. Have you ever heard me name a writer that I WOULDN'T read? As apposed to you negative nillies. I don't follow writers, I follow characters. I don't even have a favorite writer. Remender would likely be closest and I don't even follow all of his stuff.

I like Bendis but if I'm not interested in the characters he's writing I don't bother. That's why I dropped adjectiveless Avengers and Avengers Assembled, why I didn't bother with the Spider-Woman series or Daredevil series until they were both way done. I've never bothered with Ultimate Spider-Man and don't plan to.

I always felt that the GotG were DnA's weakest cosmic work, though I like the characters, and Iron Man's always been one of my least favorite characters. Therefore, I wasn't interested in picking this up. However, Bendis' talk of some of his plans for the book and what Earth means to the great cosmic landscape now has me interested in the overall plot. I don't know if I'll buy it, but I'll at least give the first issue a skim. The plot sounds good, there are characters I like, and it has a good artist (for the first arc likely)... so why wouldn't I try it if a skim of the first issue holds up?
I was only messin with ya.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #543
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
Because it'll be terrible.
Like All New X-Men will be terrible? Oh WAIT! That's right... it's really good. Getting high praise all around. One of the best books with "X-Men" on the cover in years. Better than most of Marvel's other books.

It's awesome to assume

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 01-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #544
The Batkilt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Like All New X-Men will be terrible? Oh WAIT! That's right... it's really good. Getting high praise all around. One of the best books with "X-Men" on the cover in years. Better than most of Marvel's other books.

It's awesome to assume
Really? Folk are that enamoured with All New X-Men? I think it's decent so far but not anything more. It's just getting started, so I'm surprised at anyone jumping to proclaim it as the best X-Men book in years.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #545
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!

It may be soon to proclaim it "the best X-book" but it's certainly taken everyone by surprise considering how negative the initial announcement was received by fans along with the idea Bendis was now in charge of the X-franchise. Even though I've thoroughly enjoyed the X-Men through Brubaker, Fraction, Carey, and Gillen while others had their share of complaints, I'm really excited about what Bendis has been doing so far and it's brought to light many of the short comings from the previous writers.

Will that stay true in a year? Will I get sick of all the "Bendis-y" writing tricks like everyone did with Avengers? I don't know. But I'm enjoying the ride in the meantime.

Nightcrawler: ".....British or Japanese Psylocke?"

PSN ID: Gizmo1024
playing Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3, Rochard, Super Street Fighter 4
Old 01-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #546
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:

It's awesome to assume
Granted I have not really read it, just thumbed most of the issues. While I agree it seems like it's the better side of Bendis, I challenge the statement about it being the best X-book since Wolverine and the X-Men is still being printed. And as for better than most Marvel books....? I doubt it can be better than Thor, Avengers or New Avengers, which have all been absolutely extraordinary.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #547
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:

It's awesome to assume
All New X-Men is terrible and you should be ashamed to admit you pay money to read it.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #548
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
Oh, did you get the O'Malley cover, too? That'd be perfect.
No, I got the original one since Mckelvie will be signing. (I had a Twitter conversation with Mckelvie today!)
And stop being a ninny Ccon. Bendis is a great writer. One of the greats. I get that he has somewhat split The Avengers, but aside from that he's blimming great.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #549
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi1024 View Post
It may be soon to proclaim it "the best X-book" but it's certainly taken everyone by surprise considering how negative the initial announcement was received by fans along with the idea Bendis was now in charge of the X-franchise. Even though I've thoroughly enjoyed the X-Men through Brubaker, Fraction, Carey, and Gillen while others had their share of complaints, I'm really excited about what Bendis has been doing so far and it's brought to light many of the short comings from the previous writers.

Will that stay true in a year? Will I get sick of all the "Bendis-y" writing tricks like everyone did with Avengers? I don't know. But I'm enjoying the ride in the meantime.
If anybody around here likes it, it's off to a much better start than Bendis' tenure as the head of the Avengers franchise had. Who else was around for the debacle over New Avengers #2 where some random dude appeared to break Spider-Man's arm? Good times, man. Good times.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #550
Havok83
Side-Kick

All New Xmen is an amazing title so far. Bendis is doing a good job

Closed Thread