The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #551
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

It wasn't random, it was Jigsaw....which made it even worse. And Finch said he drew the wrong guy which made it even more worse.....because we all knew that was bulls**t.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #552
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
No, I got the original one since Mckelvie will be signing. (I had a Twitter conversation with Mckelvie today!)
And stop being a ninny Ccon. Bendis is a great writer. One of the greats. I get that he has somewhat split The Avengers, but aside from that he's blimming great.
I didn't say Bendis is a bad writer. ANXM just isn't very good.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #553
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

I only read All New #1, but I was not impressed like everyone else. It was a decent issue, but I preferred some other Marvel Now launches, such as Fantastic Four #1 and Thor #1.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #554
JTStarkiller
Now scan, alien!

DD #22 mini spoiler

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
"Thank God for Stilt-Man."

I love you, Mark Waid.

"I'm an avid reader of message boards because I like to know how people with poor grammar really feel." - Mike Birbiglia
Old 01-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #555
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
I'm just curious, why don't you like it?

Old 01-18-2013, 12:30 AM   #556
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
I think it's brilliant. I don't get why people don't like the art either.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #557
Voodoo Flair

Punisher War Zone at the mo is good.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #558
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
Granted I have not really read it, just thumbed most of the issues. While I agree it seems like it's the better side of Bendis, I challenge the statement about it being the best X-book since Wolverine and the X-Men is still being printed. And as for better than most Marvel books....? I doubt it can be better than Thor, Avengers or New Avengers, which have all been absolutely extraordinary.

I definately liked the first two issues of All New X-Men better than the first two issues of Avengers (being that I dropped Avengers, that's no surprise). I only read the first issue of New Avengers and barely skimmed the second but it didn't impress me either.

Thor could potentially be better than All New X-Men though. It's been fantastic, and I'm not even a Thor fan. Thor and All New X-Men are pretty much even in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebatkilt
Really? Folk are that enamoured with All New X-Men? I think it's decent so far but not anything more. It's just getting started, so I'm surprised at anyone jumping to proclaim it as the best X-Men book in years.
Keep in mind, I said ONE OF the best X-Men books in years. I agree that it's probably too early to officially label it as the best or one of the best but it's well on its way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder
It wasn't random, it was Jigsaw....which made it even worse. And Finch said he drew the wrong guy which made it even more worse.....because we all knew that was bulls**t.
I never understood why people question Finch on this. Why would he throw his reputation under the bus just for a writing error? What would be the point? To me it seems like it's just Bendis-bashing at it's worse. An artist admits a mistake (that should have been caught by editorial) so let's blame Bendis irregardless of what anyone says... because it's Bendis... and it's cool.

It was supposed to be Hyde I think, wasn't it? That's been too long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi1024
It may be soon to proclaim it "the best X-book" but it's certainly taken everyone by surprise considering how negative the initial announcement was received by fans along with the idea Bendis was now in charge of the X-franchise. Even though I've thoroughly enjoyed the X-Men through Brubaker, Fraction, Carey, and Gillen while others had their share of complaints, I'm really excited about what Bendis has been doing so far and it's brought to light many of the short comings from the previous writers.
I said ONE of the best X-Men books. I agree it's too soon to call it the best run or anything stupid like that, I'm just basing it off of what we've read so far.

And personally, I like these 6 issues better than anything Brubaker or Fraction gave us. I like it more than most of Carey's run. The only parts of his run that I felt was on par with Bendis so far was most of his Xavier run and the arc following Age of X with Legion. Gillen is about level with Bendis so far, though I have a feeling Bendis is going to surpass it.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
Old 01-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #559
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
Granted I have not really read it, just thumbed most of the issues. While I agree it seems like it's the better side of Bendis, I challenge the statement about it being the best X-book since Wolverine and the X-Men is still being printed. And as for better than most Marvel books....? I doubt it can be better than Thor, Avengers or New Avengers, which have all been absolutely extraordinary.
WatX, the best X-men book? Hardly. The book has gone downhill since AvX. Its too cartoonish and a bunch of comedic hijinks. It was a good contrast to the bigger scale Uncanny when it debuted in Regenesis, but it seems to have lost its way and doesnt seem as vital, especially with other titles like All New X-men, and the upcoming X-men handling the same characters and getting a bigger push from Marvel. Its hard to take WaTX seriously especially when it seems to have lost focus.

As for ANX, I would defiently say its the best book being pushed out right now with the word X-men in the title.Ive already said my thoughts on WatX, but Astonishing X-men has been a dissapointment and Legacy is really bad. Cant really judge X-treme as I havent even touched it. I think Uncanny and X-men both have potential and I see them being on par with ANX in their own different ways

Last edited by Havok83; 01-20-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #560
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

All of the X-Books are pretty awful right now. I think WatXM has suffered a lot from having to play second fiddle to Bendis' title.

X-Factor is probably the best of the bunch, but I haven't read it in six months or so.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #561
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

For me X-Factor has been the most consistently good book, but that's probably because it has had the same great writer for a long time. All new X-Men is the best new book for me, or at least has the most interesting story line. I do like Astonishing, but I admit to having a Gambit obsession. They at least write him in character.

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
Old 01-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #562
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I could never really get back into X-Factor after the Summers Rebellion arc wrapped up. I love the characters but just lost interest in the book.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #563
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Well the new crew has some old faves of mine, including Longshot and Shatterstar. I have a strong dislike for most Mojo related stuff, but I do like those guys in the regular world. Plus I just love PAD's way of writing Madrox and Layla. He has a great sense of humor.

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
Old 01-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #564
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
I think it's brilliant. I don't get why people don't like the art either.
I love Immonen, but I hate the colors. I'd much rather have it look like his Nextwave or USM stuff.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #565
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
I could never really get back into X-Factor after the Summers Rebellion arc wrapped up. I love the characters but just lost interest in the book.
You lose interest in a lot of good things.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #566
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ones View Post
I'm just curious, why don't you like it?
Well, the first big strike against it was that you could've predicted every page of issue #1 purely from reading interviews, reading the solicits, or purely by looking at the cover art. Absolutely nothing, new or spectacular happened in it at all; it merely played out exactly the way it was supposed to play out, with nothing really emotional or exciting about it. It was a dead and soulless issue.

After that, we've had some twists and turns, sure, but I still find the plotting rather slow and stale; the characterization is okay, but it sorely lacks the intelligence, fun, and interpersonal drama that makes great X-Men comics great. The political awareness and analogies for every day problems that real people face are gone, and rather we're treated to little more than endless exploration of the poor decisions of Scott Summers - which continues to do little more than defame his character.

While not a main X-Men book, X-Factor is a much better example of what X-Men comic should be about; it's much more topical, it's all about characterization and character interaction, and it can be really thrilling and surprising at times. WatX used to be like that too.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #567
Thwip!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Flair View Post
Punisher War Zone at the mo is good.
Oh it really is

Old 01-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #568
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Quote:
Well, the first big strike against it was that you could've predicted every page of issue #1 purely from reading interviews, reading the solicits, or purely by looking at the cover art. Absolutely nothing, new or spectacular happened in it at all; it merely played out exactly the way it was supposed to play out, with nothing really emotional or exciting about it. It was a dead and soulless issue.

After that, we've had some twists and turns, sure, but I still find the plotting rather slow and stale; the characterization is okay, but it sorely lacks the intelligence, fun, and interpersonal drama that makes great X-Men comics great. The political awareness and analogies for every day problems that real people face are gone, and rather we're treated to little more than endless exploration of the poor decisions of Scott Summers - which continues to do little more than defame his character.
Well spoiling yourself through interviews is your own fault. I feel the exact way about Fantastic Four and FF, two titles that you've said you really like. The first two issues of each were completely spoiled by interviews, and nothing new happened. But that's more the fault of the comic book industry and the Internet, not the titles itself.

The interpersonal drama is definitely still there in full force. Heck, the last issue was all about developing relationships, with little action. The reason why I'm loving the title is because the X-men are returning a really dramatic sci-fi soap opera.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #569
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ones View Post
Well spoiling yourself through interviews is your own fault. I feel the exact way about Fantastic Four and FF, two titles that you've said you really like. The first two issues of each were completely spoiled by interviews, and nothing new happened. But that's more the fault of the comic book industry and the Internet, not the titles itself.

The interpersonal drama is definitely still there in full force. Heck, the last issue was all about developing relationships, with little action. The reason why I'm loving the title is because the X-men are returning a really dramatic sci-fi soap opera.
Yes, but you're wrong. And obviously quite non-observant considering you completely ignored half of the points I made and totally failed to state your own opinion beyond 'I like it because." But whatever, continue to enjoy your wholly mediocre X-Men comics. In 10 years it'll end up just as mocked as Bendis' Avengers run.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #570
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
I tried it when Havok and Lorna joined but it couldnt hold my interest. I found it to be pretty boring

Old 01-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #571
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Well your points make it sound like you haven't even read past the first two issues, so I didn't see the point in addressing them. No reason to get heated, but thanks for telling me my subjective opinion is wrong. And I will continue to enjoy it, probably for as long as you enjoy Fantastic Four for the same reasons I enjoy ANXM.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #572
Mr. Dent
Banned User

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/...medium=twitter

This is exactly what I was hoping for with all the cosmic titles Marvel NOW has.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #573
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/...medium=twitter

This is exactly what I was hoping for with all the cosmic titles Marvel NOW has.
Yes, because it's not like the cosmic titles have ever done anything like that before. *cough*annihilation*cough*

The one thing that sparks my BS meter though is that supposed "new" variant edition cover, which is clearly just reused art from the cover of #7 of the last series:

I also don't see how Thanos: Rising will feature in this as it's 1. a limited series that's 2. set in the character's far past.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #574
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

That "article" reeked of "I have a column deadline but have absolutely nothing to write about. I'll make some **** up."

Old 01-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #575
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Cool. Another Marvel crossover to skip.

Closed Thread