The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #651
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!
 
javi1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Houston,TX
Posts: 4,393
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
It's being reported that Dark Avengers will be cancelled in May, Winter Soldier will get cancelled by summer, and Captain Marvel will as well if the crossover with Avengers Assemble doesn't boost sales.
That's sad to hear. I loved Brubaker's run and I was willing to give the new writer a shot.

__________________
Wolverine: "I got one. Domino or Psylocke?"

Nightcrawler: ".....British or Japanese Psylocke?"

PSN ID: Gizmo1024
playing Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3, Rochard, Super Street Fighter 4
javi1024 is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #652
Havok83
Side-Kick
 
Havok83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 33,890
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow_King View Post
I think it has more to do with the quality of some of the NOW titles than it does the fact that NOW exists. There have been some really good books because of the "not relaunch." So if I'm spending money on good new books, yeah I'm gonna stop spending it on average old books.
That doesnt contradict my point. It still supports the statement that NOW is canibilizing some of the smaller titles.

Havok83 is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #653
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods
 
Scarecrow_King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Point of Diminishing Returns
Posts: 4,977
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

I know. But I'm saying that it's at least good books and not bad ones that are cannibalizing the smaller ones. With DC's New 52, we lost some really good books in favor of crappy ones.

__________________
Well, it's been a shattering disillusionment. Goodnight.
Scarecrow_King is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #654
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick
 
THANOSRULES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,408
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

Yeah looking at December sales..the Ultimate books are really struggling.

Frankly i don't know what can save the franchise at this point...the ace of course would be the "line wide event" 616 Vs Ultimate crossover we've been told would never happen..but has clearly been teased as possible.

It's a shame because Hickman's stint on Ultimates was very high quality..havnt read much of the Humphries stuff...but i read the first issue or two and it was just too convoluted of a plot. The Ultimate U is in such a shape that I think it's beyond repair...and frankly not necessary anymore.

__________________
RICHARD RIDER MUST RETURN!

MARVEL, BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL NEW WARRIORS!
THANOSRULES is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #655
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,615
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
Yeah looking at December sales..the Ultimate books are really struggling.
Yeah, I just looked at those numbers, asides from Ultimate Spider-Man, those sales are horrid.

Quote:
It's a shame because Hickman's stint on Ultimates was very high quality..havnt read much of the Humphries stuff...but i read the first issue or two and it was just too convoluted of a plot. The Ultimate U is in such a shape that I think it's beyond repair...and frankly not necessary anymore.
The whole point of the Ultimate Universe was to present a continuity that was new and fresh. When it's over a decade old, it's not exactly new or fresh anymore. That's the biggest problem with the line and nothing can really fix that.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #656
Havok83
Side-Kick
 
Havok83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 33,890
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

The Ultimate line should have ended with Loeb's Ultimatum a few years ago. They should have given it a break for a few years and then relaunched a brand new Ultimate universe last summer with the release of the Avengers in theaters. They could have slowly created books as more movies came out. A new Ultimate Spiderman could have also launched last year with an Ultimate Wolverine mini series this year to prepare for a relaunch of Ultimate X-men next year

Havok83 is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #657
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling
 
JewishHobbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 25,212
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow_King View Post
I think it has more to do with the quality of some of the NOW titles than it does the fact that NOW exists. There have been some really good books because of the "not relaunch." So if I'm spending money on good new books, yeah I'm gonna stop spending it on average old books.
Havok's still right because he mentioned all the double-shippings. If all the great NOW titles were single shipping then people would have extra money to support those smaller, average titles (and especially the smaller great titles).

So yeah, NOW is cannibalizing the middle-comics due to high prices and double-shippings.

__________________
Follow my writing career at:

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #658
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods
 
Scarecrow_King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Point of Diminishing Returns
Posts: 4,977
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

I don't buy enough titles for double shipping to be an issue for me. Usually I actually like it, since I'm only buying a few titles a week and look forward to getting more of a book that I enjoy.

__________________
Well, it's been a shattering disillusionment. Goodnight.
Scarecrow_King is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #659
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling
 
JewishHobbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 25,212
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

It becomes an issue for people who buy their budget. When I plan for, say, 8 Marvel titles and 4 of them double-ship... suddenly I can't afford the 8 titles I buy so I have to drop 4 books to afford the double-ship. When I'm enjoying all 8 titles, that's where it gets frustrating. I use to cut from the DC side of things since I'm more of a Marvel guy but I've decided to stop doing that. I cut from the bottom of my buy list with a focus on Marvel books. They're over-priced and double-ship, thus causing the problem. Why not cut the problem out by the roots?

In the past 3 years I've gone from 15 Marvel books down to about 6 due to this and I'm debating on cutting more

__________________
Follow my writing career at:

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #660
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods
 
Scarecrow_King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Point of Diminishing Returns
Posts: 4,977
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

Why exactly are some books prices at $4 and others $3? Just because they can get away with it?

__________________
Well, it's been a shattering disillusionment. Goodnight.
Scarecrow_King is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #661
Doc Ock
1951-2014
 
Doc Ock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oklahoma, US
Posts: 7,501
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

Being newer to buying comics on a weekly/monthly basis. I think the twice a month thing is stupid. I hate it, of course its my fault for going beyond Spidey as I said I wouldn't but I'm slowly trying to get caught up on Avengers (three issues behind, easy catch up), Thor God of Thunder(two more issues to catch up on, easy), and plan on going for All New X-Men next(once I find the dang first issue) and stopping there hopefully(although have great interest in GOTG too and maybe the new X-Men and UXM coming, ugh! So many!). If they only came out once a month I probably would of caught up already. I started this only in the second week of January buying comics and would like to able to go over to DC too and pick up four of five titles I have interest in. But I can't yet.

Maybe I shoulda stuck to trades?

__________________
The Winter Soldier - 9/10 | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 6.5/10 | Days of Future Past - 9/10 | TMNT - ???? | Guardians of the Galaxy - 10/10

Last edited by Doc Ock; 01-29-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Doc Ock is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #662
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick
 
THANOSRULES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,408
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

yeah its tough to keep up with buyin them if you dont do pull lists or dont have enough ducats..

double ship can be fun every once in awhile especially when a great arc is there or you just want to plow through some standalone tales..its gone way too far though.

The spidey double ships back in the early 90s / late 80s were somewhat fun..so were the cap ones in the Gruenwald era...but those were just short term gimmicks.

__________________
RICHARD RIDER MUST RETURN!

MARVEL, BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL NEW WARRIORS!
THANOSRULES is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 10:23 PM   #663
Havok83
Side-Kick
 
Havok83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 33,890
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

I dont have time to keep up with books that double ship. Im an X-men fan first, but Ive ventured beyond that and have read the Avengers books since New Avengers relaunched the line years back. Not only do you have more Avengers books than ever before, but most of them come out twice a month. With Now, its easier to just drop the non-X books bc its just too much to keep up with now. Once I stop reading a book, its hard to pick it back up especially once Ive fallen behind. I cant even keep up with the X books anymore and Ive dropped WaTX for similar reasons. All New X-men has pretty much been the only one Ive read in the last month on a regular basis. If most of the titles werent double shipping, Id be reading a larger selection of titles

Havok83 is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 12:42 AM   #664
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop
 
Hawkingbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: With the Hawkeyes
Posts: 5,733
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

This is why I love the British Panini comics they're the same price, but have more in. Unfortunately it means we're two years behind real Marvel continuity and on Fear Itself

__________________
"Turkey sucks and you suck, and who made you boss?"
Hawkingbird is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #665
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
TheCorpulent1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 154,413
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

Nobody should ever be subjected to Fear Itself.

Shame about Captain Marvel. I was looking for a jumping-on point when Dexter Soy finally left, whenever that might've been. His art was the only thing keeping me from reading the series. I've read all the issues with fill-in artists so far and enjoyed them. Carol herself is growing as a character nicely, leaving behind the alpha flygirl, Hal Jordan stereotype personality and developing into a real person.

__________________
"This I grant to you: You may tell your grandchildren that you stood for a time against the mighty Thor."
- Marvel Heroes
TheCorpulent1 is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #666
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling
 
JewishHobbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 25,212
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
I dont have time to keep up with books that double ship. Im an X-men fan first, but Ive ventured beyond that and have read the Avengers books since New Avengers relaunched the line years back. Not only do you have more Avengers books than ever before, but most of them come out twice a month. With Now, its easier to just drop the non-X books bc its just too much to keep up with now. Once I stop reading a book, its hard to pick it back up especially once Ive fallen behind. I cant even keep up with the X books anymore and Ive dropped WaTX for similar reasons. All New X-men has pretty much been the only one Ive read in the last month on a regular basis. If most of the titles werent double shipping, Id be reading a larger selection of titles
Yeah, pretty much how I feel. I only read X-Men until New Avengers and then I branched out big. Now I'm back down to just X-Men plus Daredevil (for the time being, as I might try the cosmic books) and I'm even looking for X-Books to drop. I'm thinking about dropping Uncanny X-Force, though I'm curious about Bishop. Wolverine & the X-Men feels like just another X-title now so I might drop that as well. If not for double shippings, none of those would be in danger.

__________________
Follow my writing career at:

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #667
Panthro
Catman Begins
 
Panthro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cat's Lair, Third Earth
Posts: 18,167
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Nobody should ever be subjected to Fear Itself.
Or Civil War . Or AVX.

Quote:
Shame about Captain Marvel. I was looking for a jumping-on point when Dexter Soy finally left, whenever that might've been. His art was the only thing keeping me from reading the series. I've read all the issues with fill-in artists so far and enjoyed them. Carol herself is growing as a character nicely, leaving behind the alpha flygirl, Hal Jordan stereotype personality and developing into a real person.
I actually picked up the first trade on a whim seeing as how the initial reviews seemed pretty positive, but still haven't gotten around to reading it. Still, news of imminent cancellation is a little saddening.

__________________
SUPERMAN: You know something Bruce? You're not always right.

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Panthro is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #668
BoredGuy
Killing Time
 
BoredGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: the future past
Posts: 3,381
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

still don't understand all the hate on Civil War.
Yes, Tony and Reed were douche-nozzles
But that event is what made me fall in love with Cap, as well as with the art of Steve Mcniven
I mean, c'mon, Cap jumping out of the Heli-Carrier and Herc smashing Clor made the whole thing so worth it.

Granted, I started out an X-fan, so I'm sure some old Avengers head will tell me how ignorant I am in about 3, 2...

__________________
MOVIE STUDIO BATTING AVERAGES:
MARVEL- .800 WB- .412 FOX- .400 SONY- .429



Last edited by BoredGuy; 01-30-2013 at 03:13 PM.
BoredGuy is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #669
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,671
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
still don't understand all the hate on Civil War.
Yes, Tony and Reed were douche-nozzles
But that event is what made me fall in love with Cap, as well as with the art of Steve Mcniven
I mean, c'mon, Cap jumping out of the Heli-Carrier and Herc smashing Clor made the whole thing so worth it.

Granted, I started out an X-fan, so I'm sure some old Avengers head will tell me how ignorant I am in about 3, 2...
For me it was the fallout. Making every battle into a cliche' "hero vs hero". Age of Ultron seems to be the first all out brawl against a villain we've seen in a while.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #670
Havok83
Side-Kick
 
Havok83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 33,890
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
still don't understand all the hate on Civil War.
Yes, Tony and Reed were douche-nozzles
But that event is what made me fall in love with Cap, as well as with the art of Steve Mcniven
I mean, c'mon, Cap jumping out of the Heli-Carrier and Herc smashing Clor made the whole thing so worth it.

Granted, I started out an X-fan, so I'm sure some old Avengers head will tell me how ignorant I am in about 3, 2...
Bc alot of it didnt make sense in terms of how the characters were acting. It wasnt plausible to believe that many longtime friends and allies would turn on each other like that. There was one scene which had SHIELD launch a missle at the Runaways and Young Avengers in the middle of a public market. WTF? Not only did they attack children, but they did it in a setting where they risked killing them and a bunch of innocents. Wasnt that the premise behind why CW started? The event and the Pro side lost all credibility for me after that. They made things into too much of a black/white situation where you were automatically labeled a criminal and hunted if you didnt agree. It was BS

Havok83 is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #671
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick
 
THANOSRULES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,408
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
still don't understand all the hate on Civil War.
Yes, Tony and Reed were douche-nozzles
But that event is what made me fall in love with Cap, as well as with the art of Steve Mcniven
I mean, c'mon, Cap jumping out of the Heli-Carrier and Herc smashing Clor made the whole thing so worth it.

Granted, I started out an X-fan, so I'm sure some old Avengers head will tell me how ignorant I am in about 3, 2...
Once you got over the ridiculous out of character actions and dialogue I guess it was OK...still pretty tough to get over that. That stuff just transcended any ability for me to like it.

Quote:
The whole point of the Ultimate Universe was to present a continuity that was new and fresh. When it's over a decade old, it's not exactly new or fresh anymore. That's the biggest problem with the line and nothing can really fix that.
Yeah I agree..it also seemed to be kinda a more realistic, plausible, and maybe movie friendly world too. Now everything is so convoluted its impossible to even see our earth as the setting.

__________________
RICHARD RIDER MUST RETURN!

MARVEL, BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL NEW WARRIORS!
THANOSRULES is offline  
Old 01-31-2013, 09:26 AM   #672
BoredGuy
Killing Time
 
BoredGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: the future past
Posts: 3,381
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
Bc alot of it didnt make sense in terms of how the characters were acting. It wasnt plausible to believe that many longtime friends and allies would turn on each other like that. There was one scene which had SHIELD launch a missle at the Runaways and Young Avengers in the middle of a public market. WTF? Not only did they attack children, but they did it in a setting where they risked killing them and a bunch of innocents. Wasnt that the premise behind why CW started? The event and the Pro side lost all credibility for me after that. They made things into too much of a black/white situation where you were automatically labeled a criminal and hunted if you didnt agree. It was BS

Oh wow, I didn't even know about that
I guess that's what I get for not reading tie-ins
You guys should really try it, seems to make these events a bit more tolerable
lol

__________________
MOVIE STUDIO BATTING AVERAGES:
MARVEL- .800 WB- .412 FOX- .400 SONY- .429


BoredGuy is offline  
Old 01-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #673
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling
 
JewishHobbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 25,212
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

I've since adopted that mentality. For Civil War and Secret Invasion I bought everything. Siege and Fear Itself I bought the tie-ins I was already reading and only the extras that interested me. For Avengers vs. X-Men I just bought the tie-ins that I was already reading. It still didn't make AvX that tolerable for me, but I think that was the main plot's fault. It did manage to save my wallet though, so I appreciated that. I plan on doing the same with Age of Ultron.

__________________
Follow my writing career at:

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline  
Old 01-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #674
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!
 
javi1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Houston,TX
Posts: 4,393
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

I've bought every major MU event since Civil War and have finally seen the decline in quality. I think I've stuck with them because Civil War introduced me to the larger Marvel universe and the events kept me current. I probably wouldn't have bought AvX if it wasn't the culmination of everything the X-Men titles have been about since Decimation, and obviously that was quite a waste of money. I have no interest in Ultron so I will not be reading this new event. This is where I make my event fatigue stand.

__________________
Wolverine: "I got one. Domino or Psylocke?"

Nightcrawler: ".....British or Japanese Psylocke?"

PSN ID: Gizmo1024
playing Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3, Rochard, Super Street Fighter 4
javi1024 is offline  
Old 01-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #675
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.
 
CConn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Peter North's Southern Headquarters
Posts: 57,587
Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

Eh, I kinda thought Secret Invasion was better than Civil War. The dialogue and characterizations in CW were just insufferable.

__________________
It's like a non-consecutive 24-hour dance party.
CConn is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.