Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 04:53 AM   #751
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I've actually gotten into the "I love Wolverine" mood I haven't had since around 2002. But if his titles were ended by such a event it would be less books to buy. Which for me is a big plus for the moment...
I thought he was ecspecialy awesome in X Force.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #752
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
Yeah, he was awesome there. Remender balanced out the time Logan had very well.

Now that we have been post AvsX for a bit, I really like how everythings laid out for the X Men and where Logan fits into to all the books.

Last edited by def28; 02-16-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #753
StreetWarrior
Respectfully disagreeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
I hated Wolverine for years, due primarily to rampant fanboyism and over-exposure. It wasn't until Uncanny X-Force that I gained an appreciation for the character. Years ago, I would have welcomed Logan's death. Now, thanks to Remender, I don't want the character to die. Maybe be a little less integral to the MU as a whole but a death (which will be reversed in a few weeks/months) is unnecessary.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #754
StreetWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMMM...Dounuts View Post
The character definitely needs a break. Personally I'd like to see it.
Marvel has a way of taking a popular character and flooding the market until people lose interest or causing a fan burnout due to overexposure. It happened to the Punisher in the '90s, Deadpool in the mid-00's, the Avengers since Civil War, and, for a long while now, Wolverine.

A little bit can go a long way. They don't need to kill Logan but he could use a pretty big time out. One team book and a single ongoing should be sufficient.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #755
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

And this potential revelation comes with a ginormous shrug. Death means nothing at Marvel, and yet, they contiuously play it up as some major important thing. Remember that Spider-Man death thing? (the second one) Yeah, one month later he's back (sorta). Thor and Winter Soldier... back immediately following the event they died in.

Who cares? It won't stick for long (especially with a Wolverine movie coming up) so why bother? Death can mean something for high-string secondary characters like Xavier or Ares, but for first stringers it's just a joke and gives me no emotional jump from the story. Give us something that actually matters, or that's at least different. Has anyone done that besides Remender with Angel? While I wasn't a huge fan of the new Angel direction, at least it was different.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Last edited by JewishHobbit; 02-16-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #756
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

I don't consider Xavier a secondary character. Marvel may TREAT him like one and it convinces people that he is one....but he's not.

As for the death thing, yeah it's played out. I would almost be up for something along the lines of what they did with Havok years ago. Or when in doubt, they could shoot him into space and have him join GotG.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #757
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I don't consider Xavier a secondary character either, but it's obvious that Marvel does. A better example would have been Nightcrawler... or really any X-Man who isn't Wolverine.

And honestly, if they were to send Wolvie into space to join the Guardians (and he left the other team titles he's in) I'd be more excited to read Guardians than with Tony there.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 02-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #758
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetWarrior View Post
Marvel has a way of taking a popular character and flooding the market until people lose interest or causing a fan burnout due to overexposure. It happened to the Punisher in the '90s, Deadpool in the mid-00's, the Avengers since Civil War, and, for a long while now, Wolverine.
IDA on the Avengers. They are still on quite on a high, thanks in part to the movie last year. I wouldnt say they've been burnt out, especially since now has given them a creative rejuvenation in terms of the new and diverse directions the new books are going in, in a post-Bendis run. This is probably the most interesting time to be into Avengers books in years and thats regardless of them being "overexposed" with multiple titles. There really is something there for everyone

Old 02-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #759
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I like Wolverine but he is overexposed. Wolverine is in like 6 titles each month and his only good in about half of them at best. Wolverine is really good and well used in some titles but in others he is so clealy there simply for sales and because his popular that it can undermine the character.

Wolverine won't stay dead for long if Marvel do kill him off anyway. Marvel 'killed off Peter Parker' and he isn't really dead neither was Captain America or Johnny Storm.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #760
Shockdingo
Cap America luvin' Canuck

Honestly, I know he will be back before we know it, if they go forward, but it's just so eye rolling at this point. Plus as Doc Ock's gal said, this will really mess with a ton of books. I've loved Wolvie since I was a kid, but around the over exposure days, I cooled to him. The recent works by Jason Aaron and Rick Remender really brought back my love for the character. He had depth, felt the results of his actions and overall just felt like the 3d character I loved from back in the day.

I'm getting sick of the Marvel Machine these days. I want a slow down on events/crossovers, and I want them to at least slow down with "Death-Hype-Shooock©" for a bit, I mean come on, this is getting ridiculous. But....it's not likely that's ever going to happen. :/ Just like it'll take pigs flying for them to reduce the price of their books ever again. Sigh....

Old 02-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #761
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

I can't see them killing off their cash cow, not for real. They might try something like when he was Death for a while. He was only sorta dead and then not for long.

Proud Co-founder of Gambit’s Royal Flush
Old 02-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #762
roach
I am the night

He'll be back in time for his movie

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 02-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #763
StreetWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
IDA on the Avengers. They are still on quite on a high, thanks in part to the movie last year. I wouldnt say they've been burnt out, especially since now has given them a creative rejuvenation in terms of the new and diverse directions the new books are going in, in a post-Bendis run. This is probably the most interesting time to be into Avengers books in years and thats regardless of them being "overexposed" with multiple titles. There really is something there for everyone
Oh, I agree that, currently, it's a great time to be an Avengers fan. I love what Hickman's doing and am optimistic about Remender. However, the sheer number of Avengers titles is beyond excessive.

Avengers (Essential)
New Avengers
Secret Avengers
Uncanny Avengers
Dark Avengers
Young Avengers
Avengers Assemble

If that doesn't scream flooding the market, I don't know what does. The Avengers are popular now but I worry that Marvel will milk this cow dry and the franchise will suffer in the long run. And much as with Wolverine, Hawkeye doesn't need to be on six teams (exaggeration).

Old 02-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #764
StreetWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
Of course. There might be a movie fan or two that wants to pick up the title. Don't want to scare them off...

(Sarcasm directed at Marvel, not you, Roach)

Old 02-17-2013, 02:06 AM   #765
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Oh, I agree that, currently, it's a great time to be an Avengers fan. I love what Hickman's doing and am optimistic about Remender. However, the sheer number of Avengers titles is beyond excessive.

Avengers (Essential)
New Avengers
Secret Avengers
Uncanny Avengers
Dark Avengers
Young Avengers
Avengers Assemble

If that doesn't scream flooding the market, I don't know what does. The Avengers are popular now but I worry that Marvel will milk this cow dry and the franchise will suffer in the long run. And much as with Wolverine, Hawkeye doesn't need to be on six teams (exaggeration).
I can't keep up either. I thought with the loss of (great) Bendis, we'd have maybe two teams which were well linked into each other.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:09 AM   #766
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:

Avengers (Essential)
New Avengers
Secret Avengers
Uncanny Avengers
Dark Avengers
Young Avengers
Avengers Assemble

LOL...you forgot about Avengers Arena. IA it is excessive and I doubt they will be able to sustain themselves especially with many double shipping. People have limited income and the titles will suffer bc of the sheer number that is being put out each month with the name Avenger. Don't even get me started on Xmen

Old 02-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #767
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
Rumor is that this would happen after AoU ends, which would end after the movie comes out.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #768
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I don't really think the Avenges titles will suffer. The ones that will hurt are those like Venom and Fearless Defenders. And still going Marvel's way, I see other company books hurting as they get dropped to accomidate Marvel's prices and shipping. I have a feeling that's how Marvel's outselling DC at the moment. People are dropping DC books to better afford the Marvel ones. Long time Marvel fans who jumped into more DC with the New 52 are more likely to cut from DC than from Marvel, but if they were priced and shipped the same I think DC would be winning that war.

Essentially... Marvel fans either take some of their money to DC or expand their buying to include DC. Then Marvel inflates their prices and shipping to bring their fans' money back to Marvel (if the fan wants to continue reading their favorite/long time books) and limit the amount they have to give to DC.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and

Last edited by JewishHobbit; 02-17-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #769
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Dark Avengers is getting Cancelled. Is Avenger Arena an ongoing?

Branded franchise stuff always goes a little crazy.

Marvel should be careful it doesn't end up only putting out X-Men, Avengers, Spider-Man or Fantastic Four related stuff.

I don't think every character should be an Avenger and I wouldn't like characters who aren't in the movies to be neglected or sidelined.

I've thought killing off characters for shock value got old along time ago and it seems rather lazy. It makes writers seem at times like they can come up with any other sort of jeopardy other than death.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #770
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
I don't really think the Avenges titles will suffer. The ones that will hurt are those like Venom and Fearless Defenders. And still going Marvel's way, I see other company books hurting as they get dropped to accomidate Marvel's prices and shipping. I have a feeling that's how Marvel's outselling DC at the moment. People are dropping DC books to better afford the Marvel ones. Long time Marvel fans who jumped into more DC with the New 52 are more likely to cut from DC than from Marvel, but if they were priced and shipped the same I think DC would be winning that war.
Higher tier ones like Avengers, Secret, New and Uncanny will thrive but I think Young, Arena, Dark and possibly Assemble wont be doing so good a year from now if they are even around

Old 02-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #771
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

To be fair, it's probably based on what's selling. If they're not selling, it would be a waste to keep going.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #772
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Dark is already canceled but that was expected from day one. I think Young, Arena, and Assemble will last another year or two without problem.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 02-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #773
Thwip!
Side-Kick

I especially think Young is gonna do well

Old 02-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #774
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Marvel should be careful it doesn't end up only putting out X-Men, Avengers, Spider-Man or Fantastic Four related stuff.
That's pretty much where they are.

http://myth-smith.com/
Old 02-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #775
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:

Avengers (Essential)
New Avengers
Secret Avengers
Uncanny Avengers
Dark Avengers
Young Avengers
Avengers Assemble

Well let's not forget that many of those books have no effect on the universe and Dark Avengers are getting cancelled. The only books that actually use the traditional Avengers model is:

Avengers
New Avengers
Avengers Assemble
Uncanny Avengers

Avengers Assemble is complete fluff and isn't a necessary read, while Uncanny Avengers is just as much, if not moreso, an X-Men book as it is an Avengers book. Not to mention we pretty much only get Uncanny every two months because of delays. Avengers is still no where near as overexposed as X-Men are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
That's pretty much where they are.
This is completely untrue unless you're saying characters who are apart of the Avengers or the Spidey universe are "Avengers and Spider-Man stuff", which isn't fair because pretty much every character is related to the Avengers or falls under a more popular character's universe.

Closed Thread