The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #101
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Default Re: Marvel Now - Part 3

Avengers didn't blow me away, but I'm intrigued at least. I did roll my eyes at how many stupid Avengers movie references there were. Hulk vs. Thor, Cap in a crashing airplane, the use of the movie team.

I'm really interested in the villains. But I could not care less about Hyperion, and he's apparently going to be really important.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #102
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

Because Cap being returned to Earth in a crashing ship was surely meant to reference the jet in the movie crashing in Manhattan, right? That's the only crashing plane I can think of Cap being in in the movie, anyway.

I mean, there's grasping at straws, and then there's grasping at straws.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #103
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Well, then there was that whole thing in Cap's movie. You know, him being in a massive plane crash that left him frozen in the ocean? That big climactic scene? Maybe you missed that one.

But I thought the same thing in Remender's Cap issue. How many plane crashes can Cap be in in one month?

Old 12-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #104
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Maybe some folks just shouldn't fly, lol.

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
Old 12-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #105
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow_King View Post
Well, then there was that whole thing in Cap's movie. You know, him being in a massive plane crash that left him frozen in the ocean? That big climactic scene? Maybe you missed that one.

But I thought the same thing in Remender's Cap issue. How many plane crashes can Cap be in in one month?
Sure, but that's in Captain America, not Avengers.

You did specifically mention Avengers, not other movies.

Maybe you missed that one.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #106
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Eh, I consider all of those movies Avengers movies. I should've been more clear. My bad.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #107
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

It's dumb to complain either way on the subject.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #108
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
It's dumb to complain either way on the subject.

You're like the plain-speaking bringer of truth.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:46 AM   #109
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Is not.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:24 AM   #110
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Not that I'm able to read full issues, but from what I can see, Bendis is doing X Men brilliantly

Old 12-09-2012, 06:31 AM   #111
Raoul Duke
Banned User

not surprising. the x-men are supposed to be a bunch of snarky too cool for school *******s. the avengers ain't.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #112
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
That makes absolutely no sense.
Sure it does.

When people become so embittered over a writer writing a title they want to enjoy, they'll love anyone who isn't that writer once he's gone. It happened with Slott's Mighty Avengers and Brubaker's Secret Avengers (at first). Hickman's on the book now and I promise you Bendis has written Avengers stories way better than Avengers #1 but people hated them because it was Bendis. If Bendis would have written this exact same issue people would have called it "mediocre" or "surprisingly decent" and nitpicked it to death, but because it's someone other than Bendis, after years of him having a grip on the franchise, it's brilliant. Now, that won't last, like it didn't with Bru's Secret Avengers, and Hickman will have to support his own weight without being compared to Bendis, and we'll see what people think come that time.

My personal opinion is that Bendis has written way better, and way worse, comics than this one but that Hickman's Avengers #1 was a good read. I think he has the ability to maintain that quality, maybe even improve upon it, and I hope he does, but I'm hoping people can enjoy his run for HIS run and not because it's simply not Bendis' run.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
Old 12-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #113
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
Not that I'm able to read full issues, but from what I can see, Bendis is doing X Men brilliantly
Bendis has always been decent at writing X-Men characters whenever he's had them guest star. He writes a good Wolverine and I've always liked it when he wrote Xavier. I was a tad worried when he got the franchise full-time but so far he's done a fantastic job.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 12-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #114
Raoul Duke
Banned User

just curious, did you ever read avengers before bendis started writing them? i'm not that much of a bendis hater, but from my experiences, most people who are long time avengers fans don't like his work. whilst his fans only started reading avengers when he came on board, so they don't really have anything to compare him to.

personally the best avengers stories i've ever read were by busiek and stern.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #115
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
just curious, did you ever read avengers before bendis started writing them? i'm not that much of a bendis hater, but from my experiences, most people who are long time avengers fans don't like his work. whilst his fans only started reading avengers when he came on board, so they don't really have anything to compare him to.

personally the best avengers stories i've ever read were by busiek and stern.
First off, welcome to the hype

I've read some Avengers prior to Bendis but not much. I enjoyed the 90's run by... Stern I think?... with Proctor, Black Knight, Sersi, Crystal and all that. I think it was issues 340-375, somewhere in that area. It wasn't anything amazing but I enjoyed the Proctor aspects of it. I've read some of Busiek and Johns' runs hit and miss, which seemed good but didn't keep my attention (though I'd like to go back and reread at some point). Then I read Austen's run just prior to Bendis', which I enjoyed. No one's been able to really keep my attention and make me consistently like the title until Bendis.

I think I'm just a big street-level fan, therefore, I loved Bendis' approach to the team. When you throw in "classic" Avengers like Wasp, Wonder-Man, Thor, and Iron Man and I find myself caring less. I like Luke, Spider-Man, Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Beast, that sort of character.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 12-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #116
Raoul Duke
Banned User

thanks for the welcome!

and yea i get where you are coming from. i've always preferred the avengers to be a bit more cosmic, a higher level of superheroism, you know what i mean?

i think there is room for a more traditional avengers team and a more street level team like what bendis did. i think i'd have preferred him to have stayed with new avengers for all those years whilst someone else did the main book.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #117
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I would too actually. I've always wanted Bendis to branch away from Avengers and let someone else take the big reigns so he could write the more street level team like his final New Avengers line up.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 12-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #118
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

Isn't Bendis still writing Avengers Assemble?

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Old 12-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #119
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Nope, Kelly Sue DeConnick took over with Caselli on art.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #120
WeeZiTe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
Sure it does.

When people become so embittered over a writer writing a title they want to enjoy, they'll love anyone who isn't that writer once he's gone. It happened with Slott's Mighty Avengers and Brubaker's Secret Avengers (at first). Hickman's on the book now and I promise you Bendis has written Avengers stories way better than Avengers #1 but people hated them because it was Bendis. If Bendis would have written this exact same issue people would have called it "mediocre" or "surprisingly decent" and nitpicked it to death, but because it's someone other than Bendis, after years of him having a grip on the franchise, it's brilliant. Now, that won't last, like it didn't with Bru's Secret Avengers, and Hickman will have to support his own weight without being compared to Bendis, and we'll see what people think come that time.

My personal opinion is that Bendis has written way better, and way worse, comics than this one but that Hickman's Avengers #1 was a good read. I think he has the ability to maintain that quality, maybe even improve upon it, and I hope he does, but I'm hoping people can enjoy his run for HIS run and not because it's simply not Bendis' run.
I think this is more so you being defensive about Bendis's run. You've stated repeatedly that you prefer the Avengers having more street-level characters, which Bendis was the first to really do. The Avengers are getting back to facing higher level threats, which is what they've always done prior to Bendis's run, and people are excited to see that. I don't think it's people's bias towards Bendis making them like the first issue of Hickman's Avengers. I mean, if that were the case and people were hating Bendis because he's Bendis, there wouldn't be so much widespread praise of All New X-Men.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #121
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I think Bendis started slacking at Heroic Age. Everything got a bit "samey", and the stories were messy. Prior to that, I think his writing and stories were amazing. His best being Secret Invasion, Dissembled and New Avengers.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #122
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeZiTe View Post
I think this is more so you being defensive about Bendis's run. You've stated repeatedly that you prefer the Avengers having more street-level characters, which Bendis was the first to really do. The Avengers are getting back to facing higher level threats, which is what they've always done prior to Bendis's run, and people are excited to see that. I don't think it's people's bias towards Bendis making them like the first issue of Hickman's Avengers. I mean, if that were the case and people were hating Bendis because he's Bendis, there wouldn't be so much widespread praise of All New X-Men.
Nah, I'm not one to defend a writer I like. Heck, I've ragged on Bendis myself during portions of his Avengers run. I'm just commenting on what I've seen around Hype and other sites. It seems like the most used comment (or some variant of it) is, 'A breath of fresh air after Bendis' run.' But as I've said before, I could be wrong.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 12-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #123
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
Nah, I'm not one to defend a writer I like. Heck, I've ragged on Bendis myself during portions of his Avengers run. I'm just commenting on what I've seen around Hype and other sites. It seems like the most used comment (or some variant of it) is, 'A breath of fresh air after Bendis' run.' But as I've said before, I could be wrong.
I think that you're dead wrong. Despite a few flaws (I think you and I mentioned it before) Hickman's Avengers #1 was pretty damn awesome because it is indeed a breath of fresh air after Bendis' run. Now, I actually find myself liking most of Bendis' run. Asides from Avengers: Disassembled, his run on Avengers up until the Heroic Age was pretty damn good.

I honestly think that Siege was essentially the natural end point of Bendis' run on Avengers, but because Marvel editorial had no idea what to do, they kept him on the book much longer than he should have stayed on. It's why his run from the Heroic Age until AvX felt rather dull and stale. And the same could be said for most of Marvel's major books with Brubaker's Captain America with the natural ending point being the Gulag arc, Fraction's runs on the Mighty Thor and Invincible Iron Man dragging on for too long, Way's god awful Deadpool, Marvel having no idea what to do with the Incredible Hulk, and the continuous never ending Brubaker/Fraction/Gillen era of Uncanny X-Men.

And that's why most of Marvel's new books so far have been pretty damn good. Bendis' All-New X-Men feels like a breath of fresh air. Remender's Captain America, Indestructible Hulk, Thor: God of Thunder, and Deadpool all feel like breaths of fresh air. The only book that doesn't feel like a breath of fresh air would be Gillen's Iron Man, and that's not because it isn't a good book, but because it feels like a continuation of Fraction's run.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #124
WeeZiTe
Side-Kick

I think almost every series that is a part of Marvel NOW has received a breath of fresh air, though. From Fantastic Four, to Hulk, to Deadpool, to Captain America, etc. Every line has been reinvigorated by the creative shifts. Like I said, I don't think it's Bendis specific hate, but rather just excitement that the Avengers line is getting back to what it's known for with an exciting first issue and a great creative team.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #125
WeeZiTe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
I think that you're dead wrong. Despite a few flaws (I think you and I mentioned it before) Hickman's Avengers #1 was pretty damn awesome because it is indeed a breath of fresh air after Bendis' run. Now, I actually find myself liking most of Bendis' run. Asides from Avengers: Disassembled, his run on Avengers up until the Heroic Age was pretty damn good.

I honestly think that Siege was essentially the natural end point of Bendis' run on Avengers, but because Marvel editorial had no idea what to do, they kept him on the book much longer than he should have stayed on. It's why his run from the Heroic Age until AvX felt rather dull and stale. And the same could be said for most of Marvel's major books with Brubaker's Captain America with the natural ending point being the Gulag arc, Fraction's runs on the Mighty Thor and Invincible Iron Man dragging on for too long, Way's god awful Deadpool, Marvel having no idea what to do with the Incredible Hulk, and the continuous never ending Brubaker/Fraction/Gillen era of Uncanny X-Men.

And that's why most of Marvel's new books so far have been pretty damn good. Bendis' All-New X-Men feels like a breath of fresh air. Remender's Captain America, Indestructible Hulk, Thor: God of Thunder, and Deadpool all feel like breaths of fresh air. The only book that doesn't feel like a breath of fresh air would be Gillen's Iron Man, and that's not because it isn't a good book, but because it feels like a continuation of Fraction's run.
I honestly couldn't agree with this post more, hippie.

Closed Thread