Dollmaker 0 0%
Catwoman 1 0.42%
Other 12 5.02%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #126
Malcolm Belmont
Side-Kick

Default Re: Next Batman Villain?

Riddler would be cool but i think he could be left for the 2nd Film..as for the first film..Hugo Strange and Killer Croc

Malcolm Belmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #127
TheWatcher
Dapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklypze View Post
I want an Under The Red Hood film. I've never actually read the book but a loose adaptation of the film could be awesome. It's time the GA gets introduced to more Batman family members and they REALLY need to do Jason's story and show Dick as Nightwing for once. Black Mask as the villain most likely but not sure about Joker's role. Could you honestly do Jason's story without it being Joker who killed him? I mean, anybody can beat somebody with a crowbar and then blow them up. I still just think that Jason's story NEEDS to be told. If Joker was ever used with a Jason story then show Joker's backstory as Red Hood and everything too
This is perfect.

Then in the second movie they could introduce Tim.

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #128
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Definitely Two-Face. He deserves to be the main antagonist in a Bat film; that tripe in Forever didn't cut it for me. One of the more fascinating villains in Bat's rogues gallery IMO, and I'd love to see a film exploring his split-personality, minus the parody.

My second vote goes to Mr. Freeze; he is my favorite villain in the DCU, and I'd love to see a fresh take.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #129
Baramos
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
That's a cool picture. I would like to see Two Face as well, just not as the main villain.

I've always been a fan of the idea that if Batman is fighting other villains and Two Face is witnessing it, he flips a coin to decide who to help.
Yeah, in some of the older issues, he flips the coin to decide whether he is going to do good or evil. For instance there was this one story (from the Neal Adams/Denny O'Neill run) where he has (through a series of convoluted plot twists) raised this barge from the bottom of the river. Both Batman and this bum are on the boat and Dent gets the drop on Batman. Dent flips the coin to kill Batman and ties him up to drown as the barge sinks again, but Batman stops him and gets him to return by saying, "you always prided yourself on being as good as you were evil! Aren't you going to flip the coin for that man [the bum]?" Two-Face says no and starts to row away, but he's so overcome with his obsession that he is forced to flip the coin. So of course it comes up heads and he goes back to rescue the bum. In the meantime Batman gets loose and proceeds to knock him out. I could quite easily see a scenario where he teams up with Batman in a particular situation simply based on the flip of his coin.

Baramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:20 AM   #130
shauner111
Side-Kick

Dent needs a nice long break IMO.

shauner111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #131
Anno_Domini
Banned User

^ I feel the same way with Joker but people are going to argue that Dent is important for every Batman film series.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #132
Maximus One
Oddball

Dent's story is an essential one to the Batman mythos. I do think that it is time for other characters who are important (Jason) to the mythos to shine. Dick and Jason both need to be done in a more serious tone. No Robins, maybe Tim but at least Dick being Nightwing.

I know he hasn't had too much exposure in the comics since he's more of a new character and I know a lot of people hate him but I think Hush's story is a good one for a film. Him being an old childhood friend of Bruce's makes for an interesting dynamic.

Maximus One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #133
shauner111
Side-Kick

Two-Face, Catwoman, Joker...yeah they're all essential but you dont have to show them if the reboot begins with an established world for Batman (which it will). References through dialogue, that Bats has encountered them is good enough. Or after 3 to 4 movies, you can bring them into the story. But Dent needs a break after TDK/TDKR. It would be silly to use him as the next villain. Where's the creativity? Where's all the other rogues who deserve a chance to be taken seriously?

Old 12-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #134
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Indeed. Even if essential, if they don't fit a certain story or series, why shoehorn these essential villains/characters?

Old 12-25-2012, 05:13 AM   #135
Maximus One
Oddball

That's exactly what I was meaning. Those stories are essential but they have been told numerous times now and yes it is time for other rogues. Black Mask, Riddler, Mad Hatter, Hush. Those are my top guys now, I want no NEED to see Jason's story and Red Hood and Nightwing on the big screen but as for villains (Jason is no true villain) those are who I'd like to see. Maybe Hugo Strage but that kinda seems like retreading Scarecrow to me. Just cuz of the crazy doctor thing. Black Mask would be dope if done right, I'd die happy if we could see Leonardo Dicaprio as Roman. He'd KILL IT

Old 12-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #136
shauner111
Side-Kick

Dicaprio, or for a slightly older look...Viggo Mortensen would kill Roman Sionis. Especially in his "Eastern Promises" sort-of look.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #137
Maximus One
Oddball

I've never been a huge Viggo fan but I definitely see it.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #138
The Overlord
Side-Kick

How would you make a whole movie revolving around Penguin though? What the story be and how would a conflict between not seem horribly one sided? It kinda seemed like Black Mask was a more dangerous crime boss then Penguin was, he is far more ruthless and it seemed like he had almost total control of Gotham's rackets for a short time, which is something Penguin never accomplished.

Last edited by The Overlord; 12-25-2012 at 12:54 PM.
The Overlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #139
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
How would you make a whole movie revolving around Penquin though? What the story be and how would a conflict between not seem horribly one sided? It kinda seemed like Black Mask was a more dangerous crime boss then Penquin was, he is far more ruthless and it seemed like he had almost total control of Gotham's rackets for a short time, which is something Penquin never accomplished.
I find Penguin a more broken and interesting character. Black Mask always felt extremely one dimensional compared to Penguin. Just a complete maniac of a crimelord.

I like the character but he's a bit of a more serious looking, extreme Oswald. And a little bit in the Joker realm in terms of how crazy he can get, with what he can do to people. Definately a character i want to see but Penguin deserves a lot of credit too. He's overlooked too much cuz of Devito or Merediths portrayal. And cuz of his physical appearance compared to other villains. He's classy and old-fashioned but absolutely ruthless. His classiness is something that is different from other mob bosses in Gotham's past.

There's a lot of parallels with Bruce Wayne. One thing that always felt shoehorned in, was Black Masks backstory and how he knew Bruce as kids and his parents knew Thomas/Martha. Just like Hush's backstory felt a bit shoehorned. With Oswald i never get that feeling but there's just a natural thing that ties him to Wayne and the business side of things. It's there with Sionis but it's more on the nose. Penguin certainly did this first.

If you cast a terrific actor like Philip Seymour Hoffman, he can hold his own as a main villain. Add more layers to him too.

Penguin has a more tragic childhood as well. Well a sad one that turns tragic because of the monster he turns into as an adult. He could also be a great character to use as the one who was responsible for the death of Dick Graysons parents. Because not only does he have a sometimes sentimental (and other times bitter) attachment to "birds" but he was almost robbed of his childhood because of how he was treated. Therefore instead of pulling a Batman and becoming a person who doesnt want ANYBODY else going through what he went through...Oswald could become demented and want to lash out at the world. Want everybody else to feel his pain, not caring if a kid becomes an orphan or loses their parents or whatever. They could do some sick and interesting things with him that would make him tragic at one point then make you hate his guts in the next scene, etc.

With Black Mask his backstory doesn't make you feel anything for him other than "so what? ur just a nutcase and u want an excuse for being one". There's not many layers to it.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #140
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
I find Penguin a more broken and interesting character. Black Mask always felt extremely one dimensional compared to Penguin. Just a complete maniac of a crimelord.

I like the character but he's a bit of a more serious looking, extreme Oswald. And a little bit in the Joker realm in terms of how crazy he can get, with what he can do to people. Definately a character i want to see but Penguin deserves a lot of credit too. He's overlooked too much cuz of Devito or Merediths portrayal. And cuz of his physical appearance compared to other villains. He's classy and old-fashioned but absolutely ruthless. His classiness is something that is different from other mob bosses in Gotham's past.
The see the problem is Black Mask is far more menacing. He looks more menacing then Penguin does. Penguin isn't a very believable physical threat to Batman. Plus Penguin was never menacing as a crime boss, Black Mask was more successful as a crime boss then Penguin was. It seems like Penguin, Batman could bust into his HQ and pump him for information whenever he felt like it and there is nothing Oswald could do to stop it. Black Mask seems less like a chump. It makes Penguin look better as a a supporting character then a main villain, that two bit crime boss that Batman pumps for info now and again.

Quote:
There's a lot of parallels with Bruce Wayne. One thing that always felt shoehorned in, was Black Masks backstory and how he knew Bruce as kids and his parents knew Thomas/Martha. Just like Hush's backstory felt a bit shoehorned. With Oswald i never get that feeling but there's just a natural thing that ties him to Wayne and the business side of things. It's there with Sionis but it's more on the nose. Penguin certainly did this first.

If you cast a terrific actor like Philip Seymour Hoffman, he can hold his own as a main villain. Add more layers to him too.

Penguin has a more tragic childhood as well. Well a sad one that turns tragic because of the monster he turns into as an adult. He could also be a great character to use as the one who was responsible for the death of Dick Graysons parents. Because not only does he have a sometimes sentimental (and other times bitter) attachment to "birds" but he was almost robbed of his childhood because of how he was treated. Therefore instead of pulling a Batman and becoming a person who doesnt want ANYBODY else going through what he went through...Oswald could become demented and want to lash out at the world. Want everybody else to feel his pain, not caring if a kid becomes an orphan or loses their parents or whatever. They could do some sick and interesting things with him that would make him tragic at one point then make you hate his guts in the next scene, etc.
So Roman Sionis' back story with Bruce Wayne is shoe horning things, but making Penguin the one who murders Dick Grayson's parents isn't? Plus isn't the guy who was picked on as a child becoming a villain kinda of a clince? Isn't that also Scarecrow's back story. Plus Black Mask makes a better disturbing psychopath then Penguin does.

Quote:
With Black Mask his backstory doesn't make you feel anything for him other than "so what? ur just a nutcase and u want an excuse for being one". There's not many layers to it.
I think Black Mask has another advantage over Penguin, you can have a mystery over who he really is, have a story where Batman actually uses detective skills to find out who he really is. With Penguin its obvious that he is a villain, but with Black Mask, he is a guy in a mask, no one would know what he looks like in civilian ID, so there can be a sub plot about finding who he really is.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #141
shauner111
Side-Kick

Oh it's definately shoehorned in with Grayson but i feel shoehorning things into Bruce's past is a far bigger deal. But i agree that Black Mask is more menacing. For sure. Oswald is not a physical threat at all either. And Roman is more disturbing so i agree with all of your points Overlord. I just find Penguin to have more layers within his upbringing and how that effects him later in life, and he's more of an original character in the grand scheme of things. I still stand by the fact that he's overlooked because of his appearance.

With Penguin you have somebody who comes off as a 50 something year old British man, who is very classy. A gentleman. He may not create suspision if he keeps things clean on the surface.

Even though i may be in the minority who feel he can hold his own in a movie, he would make for a great supporting villain. He could be a recurring character in the next trilogy (the reboots very own Scarecrow). Black Mask can also be a good main OR supporting villain. And they can do psychotic things with this character but i would change him a little bit.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #142
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

The Mad Hatter. He was my first choice for Nolans third movie and it was a huge dissapointment he went with Bane instead. A creepy child molester, drugging his victims. In the right hands the character is pure gold

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #143
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

^Even though the Nolan movies could be really dark I doubt we're ever going to see something so twisted as a child molester being the main villain in a Batman movie.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #144
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklypze View Post
I want an Under The Red Hood film. I've never actually read the book but a loose adaptation of the film could be awesome. It's time the GA gets introduced to more Batman family members and they REALLY need to do Jason's story and show Dick as Nightwing for once. Black Mask as the villain most likely but not sure about Joker's role. Could you honestly do Jason's story without it being Joker who killed him? I mean, anybody can beat somebody with a crowbar and then blow them up. I still just think that Jason's story NEEDS to be told. If Joker was ever used with a Jason story then show Joker's backstory as Red Hood and everything too
I like that idea.

The Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #145
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Oh it's definately shoehorned in with Grayson but i feel shoehorning things into Bruce's past is a far bigger deal. But i agree that Black Mask is more menacing. For sure. Oswald is not a physical threat at all either. And Roman is more disturbing so i agree with all of your points Overlord. I just find Penguin to have more layers within his upbringing and how that effects him later in life, and he's more of an original character in the grand scheme of things. I still stand by the fact that he's overlooked because of his appearance.

With Penguin you have somebody who comes off as a 50 something year old British man, who is very classy. A gentleman. He may not create suspision if he keeps things clean on the surface.
But the thing is the general audience knows what Penguin looks like, so as soon as he appears on screen, the GA will look know he is the bad guy right away, so there is no mystery if everyone knows who the villain is right away. With Black Mask, he is more obscure, the general audience is unaware of him, so without his mask, he is a less obvious villain. That is a better mystery.

And 50 something British gentleman is not a very threatening villain.

Quote:
Even though i may be in the minority who feel he can hold his own in a movie, he would make for a great supporting villain. He could be a recurring character in the next trilogy (the reboots very own Scarecrow). Black Mask can also be a good main OR supporting villain. And they can do psychotic things with this character but i would change him a little bit.
Well maybe you can have a story with a gang war between the two of them? The thing is even if Penguin was the main villain, you would have to pair him up with someone who is stronger and more menacing, having a movie with Penguin by himself wouldn't work. Also I don't know what the climax would be in a movie with Penguin, Batman so outclasses him in terms of might, that fight between them would just seem embarrassing for Penguin.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #146
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

Cristoph Waltz continues to impress me. i really, REALLY hope to see him as either Riddler or Hugo Strange.

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #147
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I want the Riddler but tbh I think they'll go with the Joker again

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #148
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN =w= DAY View Post
Cristoph Waltz continues to impress me. i really, REALLY hope to see him as either Riddler or Hugo Strange.
Hugo Strange should be the role for Waltz. I would normally say "John Malkovich. Robin Williams." but Christoph is such a great actor who is getting more and more popular with fans...he's the guy they should go after.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #149
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN =w= DAY View Post
Quote:
Hugo Strange should be the role for Waltz. I would normally say "John Malkovich. Robin Williams." but Christoph is such a great actor who is getting more and more popular with fans...he's the guy they should go after.
Agree with Shauner, Waltz would be a perfect Hugo Strange. Especially after seeing Django yesterday...he just looked perfect for a Dr. Strange in that film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I want the Riddler but tbh I think they'll go with the Joker again
I really hope they don't use Joker in the first film.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #150
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

I hope they do...just so we can see that upside face mask scene as fast as possible!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated

Last edited by Rodrigo90; 12-27-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Rodrigo90 is online now   Reply With Quote