Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 12:32 AM   #251
Matt Mortem
SpookshowSpectacular

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - Part 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
To defend the list...I saw Cloud Atlas and it felt like Avatar 2.0.
Yeah, but worst movie of the year? I think Battleship worked damn hard at getting that honor.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #252
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Just watched it again with my girlfriend. First time watching it beginning to end since buying the Blu-ray. Man, I'm still loving it. I have this nagging feeling that I would love it even more if I watched it immediately after BB and TDK, but I still haven't done a marathon yet. It's something I'm really looking forward to doing sometime soon with some friends who are game for it.

Gonna say something unpopular...I actually really enjoyed Marion this time around. Especially her reveal scene. I think that is actually one of my favorite scenes of the film. Hans' haunting score, the cross-cutting between Talia/Bane/Batman, Gordon on the truck and the flashbacks and Marion's performance is really right on the money there. The whole sequence really creates this sense of the trilogy coming to a head.

And The Bat...damn I love that thing. I absolutely adore the shot where Batman flies it in the opposite direction of Catwoman on the Bat-pod and she looks back at him. Just the image of those two vehicles chasing after camo-Tumblers in a snowy Gotham is fantastic. I've really come to dig the final chase now that I can actually relax and take it in while I'm watching it. It's fast and furious, even the shortest shots have a lot of visual flare, like that quick aerial shot of the truck and Tumblers. I really salivate for what was left on the cutting room floor for that sequence.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 12-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #253
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

I think most people just didn't like her death scene, which was worthy of a Razzie Award. The "slow knife" scene is damn good acting IMHO.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:39 AM   #254
JackWhite
Third Man

Marion wasn't bad as Talia, at all IMO. It's just she's not nearly as memorable as she should have been. Not to mention the weak death scene, she definitely got the short end of the stick in the film, in regards to her character.

Her reveal was great though.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:41 AM   #255
Agent Orange
Side-Kick

Her speech and Bruce's desperate "Please..." encompass one of the best scenes in the movie.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:41 AM   #256
TheGuy
Side-Kick

Final chase scene is underrated. All of the bat vehicles in once scene is epic. And yep. Marion as Talia wasn't bad.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #257
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Yeah, she has to sell a LOT there and she does it beautifully, everything in general just comes together in that scene.

The death scene was a weird glitch in an otherwise good performance. Rather unfortunate, but it's not too drawn out that it's painful. It's kind of like "Oh..", and then we're back to some great Bat/Cat interaction.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #258
Robin91939
Master Tim

Two things that I will complain about now...

1.) When Gordon first encounters Bane in the sewers, no one refers to Bane by name, yet when Blake comes to Wayne at the Manor he says that Gordon was babbling about a masked guy named "Bane." How does Gordon know about him? Does he get National Security briefs about international mercenaries?

2.) When Blake tells Wayne about the first time that they met... Joseph Gordon-Levitt is 31. Let's use that as a benchmark. Okay? Blake is 30 years old. Bruce hasn't been Batman in 8 years making Blake 22 the last time Bruce was Batman. Bruce was Batman for about 2 years total... 3 at the absolute most. That makes Blake 19 at the time where Bruce was Batman and could have met Blake... Too old to be in an orphanage.

So let's say he's 24-26 in the film. That's doable. Then he was 18-20 the last time Bruce was Batman and 15-17 when he first met Bruce probably after 5-7 years of living in the Boy's Home.

I'm just saying that the math doesn't quite add up on this one unless you force it.

-R

Old 12-08-2012, 12:54 AM   #259
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I believe there's a line in the script that got cut where one henchmen tells the other "take him to Bane". We don't see them drag him all the way to Bane's lair, so it's feasible to assume a similar exchange still happened.

Also, JGL easily looks like he can be early 20s. Being that he's a rookie cop, that's the assumption I went off of. Actors play younger all the time, heck Bale played Bruce at 19 when he was 31.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:55 AM   #260
Agent Orange
Side-Kick

I figure that the mercenaries must have had a short discussion about the situation in between scenes. "What do we do with him?" "Take him to Bane."

Crappy example but you get the gist.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:55 AM   #261
Agent Orange
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I believe there's a line in the script that got cut where one henchmen tells the other "take him to Bane". We don't see them drag him all the way to Bane's lair, so it's feasible to assume a similar exchange still happened.

Also, JGL easily looks like he can be early 20s. Being that he's a rookie cop, that's the assumption I went off of. Actors play younger all the time, heck Bale played Bruce at 19 when he was 31.
Yeah, Gordon-Levitt can pull off 23, 24, 25 effortlessly.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:00 AM   #262
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin91939 View Post

1.) When Gordon first encounters Bane in the sewers, no one refers to Bane by name, yet when Blake comes to Wayne at the Manor he says that Gordon was babbling about a masked guy named "Bane." How does Gordon know about him? Does he get National Security briefs about international mercenaries?
There was a scene in the old script where the two henchman that take Gordon talk about Bane and use his name before bringing Gordon to Bane. It was either dropped from a later revision to the script or cut from the movie for whatever reasons.

It's awkward the way it is in the movie so we are left to make assumptions.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #263
Robin91939
Master Tim

:: Double Post ::

-R

Old 12-08-2012, 03:19 AM   #264
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin91939 View Post

2.) When Blake tells Wayne about the first time that they met... Joseph Gordon-Levitt is 31. Let's use that as a benchmark. Okay? Blake is 30 years old. Bruce hasn't been Batman in 8 years making Blake 22 the last time Bruce was Batman. Bruce was Batman for about 2 years total... 3 at the absolute most. That makes Blake 19 at the time where Bruce was Batman and could have met Blake... Too old to be in an orphanage.

So let's say he's 24-26 in the film. That's doable. Then he was 18-20 the last time Bruce was Batman and 15-17 when he first met Bruce probably after 5-7 years of living in the Boy's Home.

I'm just saying that the math doesn't quite add up on this one unless you force it.

-R
Glad to see someone else bringing logic to that subject.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:38 AM   #265
CapedCrusader14
You're In Carcosa Now

Bruce being Batman for such a short time let me down a little but I don't really care. He achieved so much in such a short amount of time. Quite amazing really.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:51 AM   #266
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

I thought they simply didn't have the money to keep orphans past 16 cause Bruce screwed up the funds they were getting not that they didn't allow orphans to stay past 16. However, when Blake would have been an orphan they would have been allowed to stay because the money was coming in...

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:14 AM   #267
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
To defend the list...I saw Cloud Atlas and it felt like Avatar 2.0.
You mean the highest grossing film of all time that won a handful of academy awards and was nominated for Best Picture? Yeah that comparison certainly points to the #1 worst film of any given year.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:52 AM   #268
TDK elbowstrike
"I'm a man of my word..."

I think the "slow knife" scene was truly remarkable. It really does bring the series full circle. Ra's al Ghul: "If someone stands in the way of true justice, you simply walk up behind them and stab them in the heart."

Old 12-08-2012, 05:24 AM   #269
TheGuy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK elbowstrike View Post
I think the "slow knife" scene was truly remarkable. It really does bring the series full circle. Ra's al Ghul: "If someone stands in the way of true justice, you simply walk up behind them and stab them in the heart."
Nice. Never thought of this before.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:27 AM   #270
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
You mean the highest grossing film of all time that won a handful of academy awards and was nominated for Best Picture? Yeah that comparison certainly points to the #1 worst film of any given year.
heh. So true.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #271
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
I'd assume he was, considering Gordon tells him "clean the corners, rookie."

Which then makes his ascension to detective extremely fast.
True, but if I remember correctly, there were some viral GPD documents that detailed his early career, with assessments of his performances during various cases. So the potential was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
I think most people just didn't like her death scene, which was worthy of a Razzie Award. The "slow knife" scene is damn good acting IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Yeah, she has to sell a LOT there and she does it beautifully, everything in general just comes together in that scene.

The death scene was a weird glitch in an otherwise good performance. Rather unfortunate, but it's not too drawn out that it's painful. It's kind of like "Oh..", and then we're back to some great Bat/Cat interaction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK elbowstrike View Post
QFT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapedCrusader14 View Post
Bruce being Batman for such a short time let me down a little but I don't really care. He achieved so much in such a short amount of time. Quite amazing really.
Yep.

Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html

Last edited by BatmanBeyond; 12-08-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #272
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

Even without seeing Cloud Atlas I know for 100% fact it is not the WORST film of the year.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 12-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #273
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
Even without seeing Cloud Atlas I know for 100% fact it is not the WORST film of the year.
You've seen Battleship too?

Old 12-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #274
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

I've seen clips of Battleship and read enough reviews, those kinds of films arent my cup of tea, and I could tell it was garbage from the start.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 12-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #275
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
I've seen clips of Battleship and read enough reviews, those kinds of films arent my cup of tea, and I could tell it was garbage from the start.
Same here. The following poster didn't give me any reasons to be optimistic about the movie either:

Closed Thread