The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

View Poll Results: What do YOU think Thor Dark World will do?
500 Million 8 7.08%
550 Million 10 8.85%
600 Million 10 8.85%
650 Million 10 8.85%
700 Million 17 15.04%
750 Million 16 14.16%
800 Million 22 19.47%
850 Million 8 7.08%
900 Million 3 2.65%
950 Million 1 0.88%
1 Billion plus 8 7.08%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #801
Jordanstine
Side-Kick
 
Jordanstine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 451
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Actuals:

THOR: THE DARK WORLD is the #1 film in North America: $85,737,841

__________________
Timeline of Avengers Spoilers! Beware!
Jordanstine is offline  
Old 11-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #802
smashmode
House Stark
 
smashmode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,302
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanstine View Post
Actuals:

THOR: THE DARK WORLD is the #1 film in North America: $85,737,841

Thor one of the few comic book films to actually increase on the Saturday, compared to Friday. That is why it hit 85.7 instead of the lower 80's like most projected out.

smashmode is offline  
Old 11-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #803
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota
 
Tymminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,130
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Hmmm... B.O.M. doesn't have the take from the Thursday showings listed (I thought it was aprox 7Mill?). I guess that was rolled into the take for Friday, right?

Tymminator is offline  
Old 11-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #804
Krystal
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 357
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymminator View Post
Hmmm... B.O.M. doesn't have the take from the Thursday showings listed (I thought it was aprox 7Mill?). I guess that was rolled into the take for Friday, right?
Yep, that's how they did it. I'll be very interested in the Veterans day take.

It's got 14 days on it's own.

Krystal is offline  
Old 11-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #805
Liam_H
Side-Kick
 
Liam_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 8,497
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

$10.4M for Monday, drop(52%) is nearly identical to Skyfall.

__________________

Spill


Liam_H is offline  
Old 11-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #806
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: GTFO!!!!
Posts: 16,825
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

^Nice! It'll crack the $100M DOM today.

__________________
My God, did that smell good!
kedrell is offline  
Old 11-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #807
warriorking
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 340
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Still think it will pull another 50 Million This weekend...I know I will be there..


Last edited by warriorking; 11-12-2013 at 03:41 PM.
warriorking is offline  
Old 11-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #808
Liam_H
Side-Kick
 
Liam_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 8,497
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Optimistically low $40s IMO but more likely around $35-40M.

__________________

Spill


Liam_H is offline  
Old 11-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #809
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: GTFO!!!!
Posts: 16,825
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Should be at around $113M heading into the next weekend. Then at $150-155M after the 2nd weekend. And maybe another $14M or so heading into weekend #3. So at around $165-170M before Hunger Games2 drops and predicting this becomes more difficult what with the holidays and such. But I feel confident that I think it can cross $200M before it's 3rd full week is done. Might have another $50M total in the gas tank after that before it's done.

__________________
My God, did that smell good!
kedrell is offline  
Old 11-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #810
insideguy
Banned User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 422
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Should be at around $113M heading into the next weekend. Then at $150-155M after the 2nd weekend. And maybe another $14M or so heading into weekend #3. So at around $165-170M before Hunger Games2 drops and predicting this becomes more difficult what with the holidays and such. But I feel confident that I think it can cross $200M before it's 3rd full week is done. Might have another $50M total in the gas tank after that before it's done.
Hunger games is going to put it in the bargain theaters. It will make about 200 million domestic. Actually not great for a marvel sequel.

insideguy is offline  
Old 11-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #811
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: GTFO!!!!
Posts: 16,825
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

If you think it's only gonna make $200M then all I can say is that you're wrong. $200M was locked(as in it's certain to go well passed that mark) as soon as the weekend total was known. HG2 will put a sizable dent in it, no doubt. But TTDW will be 85-90% of the way to that number before HG2 even opens. There's no way it puts THAT big a dent in TTDW.

__________________
My God, did that smell good!
kedrell is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 01:07 AM   #812
insideguy
Banned User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 422
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
If you think it's only gonna make $200M then all I can say is that you're wrong. $200M was locked(as in it's certain to go well passed that mark) as soon as the weekend total was known. HG2 will put a sizable dent in it, no doubt. But TTDW will be 85-90% of the way to that number before HG2 even opens. There's no way it puts THAT big a dent in TTDW.

It will bring in 200 to 220 million domestic . Thats good but Hunger games is going to not only put in a dent in it its going to wipe it off the map. Hunger games is going to be the biggest domestic opening of the year. Its set up in a perfect spot to do it and coming off the first film making 400 million domestic? This one is going to bring in 500 million easy.

insideguy is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 01:56 AM   #813
smashmode
House Stark
 
smashmode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,302
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideguy View Post
Hunger games is going to put it in the bargain theaters. It will make about 200 million domestic. Actually not great for a marvel sequel.

What? This thing is going to make 650-700 Million World Wide which will be about 200-250 million more than Thor. Yeah, its not that great.

smashmode is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 03:16 AM   #814
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The future, where else would I be?
Posts: 17,852
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Obviously if people think all post-Avengers films will earn 1 billion, then they're up for a disappointment.

__________________
X-MEN RI5E' MUTANT OF THE MONTH | ICEMAN | PORTRAYED BY SHAWN ASHMORE
"Welcome to mutant high" - X1
"Call me Iceman" - X2
"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 03:59 AM   #815
tek
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 162
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

i wonder what the odds were 5 years ago that 2 Thor films will end up grossing a combined $billion .

tek is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 04:13 AM   #816
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,384
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashmode View Post
What? This thing is going to make 650-700 Million World Wide which will be about 200-250 million more than Thor. Yeah, its not that great.
Yeah, the majority of superhero sequels don't increase 20-30% globally.

Only TDK, Batman Forever, and Iron Man 3 have done it.

The Marvel formula is working.

MessiahDecoy123 is online now  
Old 11-13-2013, 04:17 AM   #817
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,384
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek View Post
i wonder what the odds were 5 years ago that 2 Thor films will end up grossing a combined $billion .
People were convinced Thor couldn't outperform Hulk because he was less popular and a hard-sell conceptually.

MessiahDecoy123 is online now  
Old 11-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #818
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!
 
Smashlilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,770
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Obviously if people think all post-Avengers films will earn 1 billion, then they're up for a disappointment.
The Avengers and Ironman 3 Had ungodly hype behind them.

__________________
Quote:
What is the most indestructable thing in the avengers? Ironman's suit, Captain America's Shield, or Thor's Hammer? The correct answer is Hulk's Pants

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #819
insideguy
Banned User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 422
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashmode View Post
What? This thing is going to make 650-700 Million World Wide which will be about 200-250 million more than Thor. Yeah, its not that great.

Im sure it will do well worldwide. Honestly worldwide does not interest me that much as far as looking at a movies success. Not because it doesnt make the studio money. Its just such a growing market that its hard to gage. This movie has done very well but as far as domestic gross will finish behind MOS. I thought it would do better than that considering its a sequel, Nothing is competeing against it and like IM3 is following behind the avengers. Just my opinion.

insideguy is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #820
lucienlc
Newbie First Class
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 23
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideguy View Post
Im sure it will do well worldwide. Honestly worldwide does not interest me that much as far as looking at a movies success. Not because it doesnt make the studio money. Its just such a growing market that its hard to gage. This movie has done very well but as far as domestic gross will finish behind MOS. I thought it would do better than that considering its a sequel, Nothing is competeing against it and like IM3 is following behind the avengers. Just my opinion.
It's all in how you look at it. MoS came out in the summer; I'm sure TDW would have garnered a larger youthful audience if it was positioned as a summer movie. TDW had to share its IMAX theaters with Enders Game for the first week; its gross would undoubtedly have been larger without that, since people were willing to spend for IMAX, but not so much for regular 3D. Which also means the disparity in audience numbers (as opposed to dollars) was even greater between the two Thor movies, since more people paid for 3D for Thor 1.

TDW will be the first of ALL the Marvel Phase movies to garner more than $500MM worldwide, without having RDJr in the cast.

Furthermore, I suspect the initial expectations for this movie were relatively low. There wasn't a huge marketing campaign associated with it: there were Enders Game cups and things at my theater, for example, but nothing for TDW. There were no tie-ins with McDonalds or any of the other chains. Hot Topic barely offered any products associated with the movie, as opposed to other Marvel movies of recent vintage. Considering what a train wreck this movie projected as when it started (three changes of director; three scriptwriters and Joss to fix things), I think it's done hugely well - and all to the credit of its talented cast rather than promotion. Well, except for Tom Hiddleston's worldwide one-man promotion effort (until the premiere week).

I suspect we'll see far more of a marketing effort by Marvel wrt Thor 3, now that TDW has performed so well without much help.

lucienlc is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #821
rashad
Hype Board Junkie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,922
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

via BoxOffice.com

Thor2 Tues about 5.4m

__________________

rashad is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #822
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin
 
Bruce_Begins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,872
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
The Avengers and Ironman 3 Had ungodly hype behind them.
The Avengers was basically an Iron Man movie with Loki as a villain.

(Which probably explains why it was so successful, the most popular Marvel hero actor (RDJ) with the most popular Marvel Villain actor (Hiddleston).)

__________________

*\S/T*

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 11-13-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Bruce_Begins is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #823
ironman_rick
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 210
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashad View Post
via BoxOffice.com

Thor2 Tues about 5.4m
Holycow............that's a huge drop from Monday

__________________
A genius billionaire playboy philanthropist
ironman_rick is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #824
Mr.M
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,625
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
The Avengers was basically an Iron Man movie with Loki as a villain.

(Which probably explains why it was so successful, the most popular Marvel hero actor (RDJ) with the most popular Marvel Villain actor (Hiddleston).)
Marvel will need a replacement for RDJ for their solo series. But luckily they have him for Avengers 2/3. I think that is more than enough to keep them afloat and finance any ancillary solo endeavors. Getting RDJ was game, set, match for Marvel. Thor 3 looks probable with these numbers. Then you have to wait and see with a potential Cap 3. Their Phase 3 looks a little light right now.

Mr.M is online now  
Old 11-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #825
SoNicRaDiATioN
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,539
Default Re: Early Thor Darkworld box-office predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
The Avengers was basically an Iron Man movie with Loki as a villain.

(Which probably explains why it was so successful, the most popular Marvel hero actor (RDJ) with the most popular Marvel Villain actor (Hiddleston).)
This post deserves more sarcasm then you gave it.

__________________

SoNicRaDiATioN is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.