The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #401
DawnWarrior
Questioner of Authority

Default Re: Fantastic Four reborn! - Part 6

^Nick Fury could make an appearance, for starters.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #402
Project862006
Banned User

you misread what millar said he never said a team up film he said same universe like a fan could watch both films and can picture them visually co existing in same world

Old 01-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #403
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
you misread what millar said he never said a team up film he said same universe like a fan could watch both films and can picture them visually co existing in same world
can't we do that already?

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 01-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #404
DawnWarrior
Questioner of Authority

Yes, I always prefer my Marvel movies explicitly coexisting in the same world. Like having Nick Fury appear.

(I'll stop now.)

Old 01-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #405
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

nick fury isn't showing up in the Fox movies...

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 01-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #406
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
can't we do that already?
could you see singer's x men fit in tim story's f4 universe?

i sure as hell could not

Old 01-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #407
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
but what exactly would the be sharing then? syncing up the films just seems pointless..
No, it doesn't. Not when Marvel was so successful with it and they exist in the same universe in the comics anyway. They can just mention mutants in FF and FF coming out in the public in an X-Men movie; it's not hard. I'm not going to deny that without the backdrop of the rest of the MU it feels odd but it makes sense in the context of Marvel's success with it, and the "why not" factor.

Quote:
could you see singer's x men fit in tim story's f4 universe?

i sure as hell could not
It won't be his X-Men, they're splitting the timeline.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:29 AM   #408
JP
To me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
Without "control", Millar's ideas will likely fall on deaf ears.
Then I wouldn't see the point in creating this position in the first place.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #409
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Then I wouldn't see the point in creating this position in the first place.
It's a good idea for FOX to have a consultant if they are planning on interconnecting future X-Men Films (DOFP, possibly New Mutants) to the FF. But Millar's comparison of his role to that of Whedon appears a bit silly. If Whedon has a strong conflict regarding casting or plotlines with Alan Taylor, the Russo brothers or James Gunn, Joss will likely get his way. Disney/Marvel has a billion+ reasons to keep him happy before the receipts from Avengers 2 are counted. (Iron Man 3 is different in that the studio has just as many reasons to keep Downey happy, and he is not under contract).

Millar is in quite a different position. How does Brian Singer respond if Millar suggests a change to the DOFP script? Singer has been working with these characters for over a decade and likely has his own vision of how the X-Men story will continue. Millar can offer advice to Josh Trank on the FF reboot, but Josh could threaten to leave the project if any conflict took place, putting the FF film rights in jeapordy.

In summary, Millar is advising and Whedon is supervising.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #410
Project862006
Banned User

what type of tone and look do you guys want for f4 a more serious Prometheus sci fi or star trek like or something else entirely?

Old 01-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #411
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Quote:
i don't see why they'd care about FF and X-men co-existing in the same universe... the FF and X-men share absolutely nothing besides Onslaught and that horrible powerswapping/merging team up from a few years ago...

what's left? Logan and Ben poker games and Johnny and Iceman hanging out ?
Reed and Sue's son Franklin is a mutant.

Also the two teams were manipulated into fighting by The Puppet Master and the Mad Thinker way back in FF #28.

I'd pay to see that on the big screen.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #412
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

I certainly remember reading many cross-overs / team-ups between FF and X-Men characters when I was a kid and even if there wasn't a comic history, there's no reason they couldn't create a new story line.

BUT I don't like the idea of crossing over just to cross over. With the large number of characters involved even individually, a story that includes both teams could be a real mess.

Whatever they do needs to be driven by the story and not forced just because it worked for Marvel and the Avengers.

The Avengers formed a team with different individuals but FF and X-Men are already teams. Fox needs to keep perspective and not jump into any forced combinations.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #413
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

couple of comments from the other comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006
Millar said that in comparison really with the Disney/Marvel universe that you could see the X-Men and FF films and imagine then all in the same universe like the ASM was done that there's still the conventional thought that though there were no references to the Avengers that it could still have taken place in the MCU. So Millar wants that quality of the MCU and ASM in the FF and X-Men films. That being said, alot rides on the success, box office wise, on The Wolverine and the future budgets for the FF more than DOFP. There's just no interest for the FF so they'll have to somehow tie the FF with the X-men films (maybe post credits maybe) to get any interest going but you know like I know I won't have the same effect because though Millar compared The Wolverine to their universe like Iron Man was to the MCU, unless he's exclusively talking about the X-Men franchise I don't see the FF fitting in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex
It's a good idea for FOX to have a consultant if they are planning on interconnecting future X-Men Films (DOFP, possibly New Mutants) to the FF. But Millar's comparison of his role to that of Whedon appears a bit silly. If Whedon has a strong conflict regarding casting or plotlines with Alan Taylor, the Russo brothers or James Gunn, Joss will likely get his way. Disney/Marvel has a billion+ reasons to keep him happy before the receipts from Avengers 2 are counted. (Iron Man 3 is different in that the studio has just as many reasons to keep Downey happy, and he is not under contract).

Millar is in quite a different position. How does Brian Singer respond if Millar suggests a change to the DOFP script? Singer has been working with these characters for over a decade and likely has his own vision of how the X-Men story will continue. Millar can offer advice to Josh Trank on the FF reboot, but Josh could threaten to leave the project if any conflict took place, putting the FF film rights in jeapordy.

In summary, Millar is advising and Whedon is supervising.
And even with IM3 Whedon and Shane Black worked with each other closely so that nothing in the script for IM3 will contradict with anything planned for the future MCU movies (and maybe even the TV show). The MCU is in phase two. Fox is still trying to figure it out and I don't think they've solved the ego's. I like your summery cause thats is what it is.

And..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainStacy

Also the two teams were manipulated into fighting by The Puppet Master and the Mad Thinker way back in FF #28.

The Puppet Master creating a Puppet/Clone of Professor X? I'll pass on seeing that storyline on the movie screen. Thats a Translation nightmare for a script writer. The issue is options. There are so many story options a film scriptwriter can pull from the comics to translate to film with the FF in the MCU. Not so much in the X-Universe. Thats why this shared X-Men/FF universe is so bad and not for the X-Men. For the Fantastic Four. And as far as Franklin is concerned he shouldn't even be born until the third sequel of the reboot. You have to care about the parents first before you care about the child from a GA standpoint so his inclusion as a Mutant is Years down the line based on the success of the first two prequels.. I just scratch my head at Fox on insisting on holding on to the Fantastic four. Just take the X-Universe and run with it..

Old 01-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #414
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
I certainly remember reading many cross-overs / team-ups between FF and X-Men characters when I was a kid and even if there wasn't a comic history, there's no reason they couldn't create a new story line.

BUT I don't like the idea of crossing over just to cross over. With the large number of characters involved even individually, a story that includes both teams could be a real mess.

Whatever they do needs to be driven by the story and not forced just because it worked for Marvel and the Avengers.

The Avengers formed a team with different individuals but FF and X-Men are already teams. Fox needs to keep perspective and not jump into any forced combinations.
Because the crossovers mainly existed in the Marvel Universe with Marvel characters currently owned by Marvel. Outside of the FF #28 and FF vs X-M 4 part series in the 616 universe and The X-M and FF crossover from the Ultimate universe (Which it was a group of Future X-Men and not any from the characters currently used in the FoX-Men films) when have the X-Men and FF connected exclusive of the other Marvel characters?

I understand that for the Fans of the Fantastic Four should be excited that the FF is being rebooted and has the chance of being done right this time. But why reboot the franchise if you not gonna do it right? And it's not gonna be done right without the great script and a hefty budget. So the X-Men have to do so well that Fox can eat the losses that they'll have rebooting the FF. I just don't feel that Fox will put their heart into the FF like the X-Men because this movie is just to keep the rights to play keep away. As a FF fan (As well as a overall Marvel fan) I'm bracing for insult if this film goes into production. They don't even own/have access to most of their supporting cast (Namor, The Inhumans, She-Hulk, Black Panther and maybe more)

Old 01-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #415
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
Outside of the FF #28 and FF vs X-M 4 part series in the 616 universe and The X-M and FF crossover from the Ultimate universe (Which it was a group of Future X-Men and not any from the characters currently used in the FoX-Men films) when have the X-Men and FF connected exclusive of the other Marvel characters?
My brain is far too feeble to remember all the times I saw them bump into one another, but here are some ones I remember in addition to the ones you've already mentioned.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #416
JP
To me

There was also a recent issue of X-Men: First Class where Xavier contacted Sue Storm to be sort of a mentor to the young Jean.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #417
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

There Is days of future Present the sequel to Days of past past In 1990's FF,X-men,X-factor,and New Mutants annuals.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #418
Jordacar
The Endless One

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
There Is days of future Present the sequel to Days of past past In 1990's FF,X-men,X-factor,and New Mutants annuals.
Was it any good?

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #419
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainStacy View Post

I don't see how that is interesting story for a movie, it makes for a good comic book story, but not a good movie story. For example Puppet Master and Mad Thinker are set up in the comics before this story happens, so unless are FF movies introducing these characters, trying to introduce them in a movie that also features the FF and the X-Men seems like having too much stuff in one film.

Another problem is an excuse for a fight scene, not full fledged story. Really the story comes down to Mad Thinker and Puppet Master decide to use the X-Men to destroy the FF. Not a lot of meat on the bones for that plot, with no set up for Mad Thinker and Puppet Master, there is no reason to really care about them, their motives for wanting to destroy the FF will likely be underdeveloped and they will seem shallow villains. This the kind of story that would sense as an episode of a TV show, but not a movie. Mad Thinker and Puppet Master need a grander plan in order to carry a movie. Making the FF and X-Men fight each other should be phase 1 in a plan, not the entire plan.

I'm not sure if FF 28 is the best story to best an X-Men/FF movie on, I do think there are ways to come up something a bit more thematic, a bit more epic, something that really pays tribute to both teams. FF 28 was really just kinda of a one shot FF story with the X-Men as guest stars, not really a good basis for a movie.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #420
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
what type of tone and look do you guys want for f4 a more serious Prometheus sci fi or star trek like or something else entirely?
Tone wise I think Iron Man or the Avengers hit the right balance of serious and comic relief.

Look wise - Kirby all the way - no one has come close to translating his tech visuals to the screen and if done right it could really be amazing.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #421
Blackman
King Kong

Quote:
I actually wouldnt mind it kinda having a tone similar to Star Trek, which is basically like the Iron Man/Avengers tone if not a little darker. I also say Star Trek because the FF should be exploring places. The movies should be taking place in Latveria, the N-Zone, space, etc. I know that them being in NYC will be in the movie but they really need to have them jumping from place to place

The villains should be darker too. While when not with the villain it could be more lighthearted but the villains should feel really threatening that's why I vote for Annihilus, Doom, and Galactus

Last edited by Blackman; 01-07-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #422
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Well one of the things FF2 did get right was the globe trotting aspect - it was nice to see them all over the map...

FF has never been a "dark" comic - serious sure, but not dark - the important thing is to keep to the tone of the comics - the Lee/Kirby comics!

Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #423
Project862006
Banned User

^thats pretty much what mark millar said he wants it to honor lee/kirby's F4

Quote:
You can tell from Chronicle that it was a new way of looking at superheroes, and I think he's going to apply that same slightly skewed way of looking at heroes to the Fantastic Four, but do it in a way that feels incredibly reverential to the Kirby and Lee stuff," Millar said.

Millar went on to say that Trank's Fantastic Four is unlikely to be dark and gritty like some contemporary superhero films.

"I don't think you could do Fantastic Four and try and make it grim and gritty," he added.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #424
Jordacar
The Endless One

On another note, Captain Logan just posted his Superhero Rewind review of the unreleased 1994 FF movie (he covered the other two awhile ago).

Hearing again the messed-up story of how that stinker got made got me wondering what might've happened if the scheme to hold onto the rights didn't work; would it have reverted back to Marvel right then and there? Would they have just sold the rights to another production company instead? And I couldn't help thinking how crazy would it have been if the MCU started with the 2005 FF movie instead of 3 years later with Iron Man, especially since it was the FF who kicked off the Marvel Age back in the 60s.

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:24 AM   #425
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Well there has to be a balance. The FF should not be grim and gritty, but that was not the problem with the last couple of FF movies. The problem with those movies is they left like farce, the concept was not taken seriously and it felt like a farce rather then a sci fi action adventure.

An FF film can have light hearted moments, but it also needs serious moments, with real character drama and the villain has to be someone who is menacing and has interesting motives, not be comic relief.

Closed Thread