Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #26
Incrediblejeff
Still Incredible

Default Re: Fantastic Four reborn! - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRangerPrimeNYC View Post
Why hasn't a Sub-Forum been made for the Fantastic Four yet?

Lol, even Star Wars has one.
I've been wondering that for awhile now.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #27
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:

This board is biased against Marvel's first family

Old 12-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #28
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
I am not happy about that. If they oversaturate the market there will be a backlash. It's bound to happen.
I'd go so far as to say you can't "oversaturate" the market with this stuff. When you think about it, out of about 150 movies a year only about 4-5 of them are super hero movies, and each franchise only has about 2-3 movies a decade. Super hero movies just happen to be the highest grossing and critically praised films most years. Let's also not forget that stuff like SW, James Bond, Battlestar Galactica, and Star Trek have lasted for decades. Nerd power is very strong and has been for decades.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #29
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:

I'm sure that there will be one soon since the movie has now been officially announced.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #30
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Can't wait to see 2015 be the year of the scientists with Pym and Mr. Fantastic, as well as the year of the superhero teams.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #31
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incrediblejeff View Post
I've been wondering that for awhile now.
We should get it very soon!

I really hope FOX will finally deliver on giving us a good Fantastic Four movie!

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 12-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #32
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Can't wait to see 2015 be the year of the scientists with Pym and Mr. Fantastic, as well as the year of the superhero teams.
Aw man, I wish they could be in the same universe. Would be hilarious to see Reed and Pym debate the physics of Pym particles on the big screen.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #33
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
We should get it very soon!

I really hope FOX will finally deliver on giving us a good Fantastic Four movie!
I trust Trank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Aw man, I wish they could be in the same universe. Would be hilarious to see Reed and Pym debate the physics of Pym particles on the big screen.
Yep, it would be awesome.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #34
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

I hope Fox continues this good streak with their reboots. They can only go uphill from here...

"Come Think With Us."
Old 12-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #35
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Fox must have alot of confident on Trank's ability to deliver for them to announce a 2015 release date, and only weeks before Avengers 2's premiere, which will be following its billion-dollar predecessor as well as several sequels and new MCU movies' build-up. FF is also coming off their previous 2 rather disappointing movies, and doesn't have alot of goodwill in the general audience's conscious. We'll see what happens, but I won't be surprised if the reboot grosses less than First Class even if it turns out to be good.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 12-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #36
Edguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
..given that whoever writes the scene knows jack s**t about physics.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #37
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Fox must have alot of confident on Trank's ability to deliver for them to announce a 2015 release date, and only weeks before Avengers 2's premiere, which will be following its billion-dollar predecessor as well as several sequels and new MCU movies' build-up. FF is also coming off their previous 2 rather disappointing movies, and doesn't have alot of goodwill in the general audience's conscious. We'll see what happens, but I won't be surprised if the reboot grosses less than First Class even if it turns out to be good.
It's coming out a full two months before A2, it's safe. Most people will have largely forgotten about those past 2 film by then. It will have been almost 10 years since Silver Surfer came out when this is released. But yeah, it will still probably gross a little less than FC. I still expect it to do over 300 million if it's good though.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #38
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
I hope Fox continues this good streak with their reboots. They can only go uphill from here...
"Reboots"? This is the first time FOX is actually going to reboot one of their Marvel comic-book movie series. They failed with Daredevil and I don't consider X-Men: First Class as a reboot.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 12-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #39
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
"Reboots"? This is the first time FOX is actually going to reboot one of their Marvel comic-book movie series. They failed with Daredevil and I don't consider X-Men: First Class as a reboot.
I guess you could see it as a prequel/partial reboot. But all the cast was new, save for those two cameos from Jackman and Romijn. People liked the new cast and story of 'First Class', and I expect 'Days of Future Past' to get a huge boost from goodwill from that pic plus Singer's return to the franchise.

And unlike Sony's Spider-Man series, Fox has good reason to reboot the F4 series. I was really let down by ASM, and I pray that doesn't happen to The Fantastic Four. I hope they don't do the ASM route and turn the protagonists into unlikeable douches with enough plot devices to put SM-3 and RoTSS to shame. Focus on what drew people to love the comics in the first place, don't just reboot because it's the 'in' thing.

I think the right cast is crucial for F4. Don't go for the 'in' actors/actresses, get actors who have chemistry and look the parts.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 12-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #40
YoungPrime
Banned User

There's only been two live action movies to release in March with a $100M budget.

One was Disney's Alice in Wonderland which made over a billion in the box office and the other was The Watchmen which failed domestically and WB barely got it's money back world wide.

That being said, I doubt Fox will risk making this a big budget film.

The first 2 FF films were Summer releases with budgets of $100 and $130 million. Yet both failed to win over critic or fans. Otherwise there would've been another sequel.

And unlike the Spider-man reboot at lease 2 of them were well received. FOX can't say the same thing. So I doubt they'll put a lot of money and effort into this film. I'm also poised to believe they're trying to avoid another Daredevil move, so they're doing this to keep the rights and nothing more.

Sad news indeed....

On the flip side, since Fox slapped Marvel by changing the release date of Snoopy to the same date as Antman, I say Disney should return the favor by releasing and Incredibles sequel the same day.

They may not be able to get the rights back but they could still take lessons from WB and get FOX where it hurts and it would only be fair. Plus how much faith do FOX have in what should be a Summer block buster, when they're releasing it late Winter it anyway?

Last edited by YoungPrime; 12-08-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #41
Edguy
Banned User

I would get such a nerd boner if Disney c**k slapped Fox in the face by releasing a (good) Incredibles sequel same time Fox is releasing F4.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #42
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungPrime View Post
There's only been two live action movies to release in March with a $100M budget.

One was Disney's Alice in Wonderland which made over a billion in the box office and the other was The Watchmen which failed domestically and WB barely got it's money back world wide.

That being said, I doubt Fox will risk making this a big budget film.

The first 2 FF films were Summer releases with budgets of $100 and $130 million. Yet both failed to win over critic or fans. Otherwise there would've been another sequel.

And unlike the Spider-man reboot at lease 2 of them were well received. FOX can't say the same thing. So I doubt they'll put a lot of money and effort into this film. I'm also poised to believe they're trying to avoid another Daredevil move, so they're doing this to keep the rights and nothing more.

Sad news indeed....

On the flip side, since Fox slapped Marvel by changing the release date of Snoopy to the same date as Antman, I say Disney should return the favor by releasing and Incredibles sequel the same day.

They may not be able to get the rights back but they could still take lessons from WB and get FOX where it hurts and it would only be fair. Plus with how much faith do FOX have in what should be a Summer block buster, when they're releasing it late Winter it anyway?
The first FF was a commercial success. If Trank puts out a good film this could easily make 300 million. And Fox didn't slap anyone; that Peanuts film isn't going to be taking money away from Ant-Man.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #43
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
If the second film had made money like the first, we would've had a third film out by now. Fox didn't give a crap about the quality of their comic-book movies at that point.

The budget doesn't really matter if they managed to make a good movie. More money doesn't mean a better movie.

Quote:
That's not why Fox moved the Peanuts film to November 6, to piss off Marvel/Disney. Originally, their DWA release B.O.O.: Bureau of Otherworldly Operations was scheduled for 11/6/15, but Fox moved it up into the late September spot Hotel Transylvania occupied to take advantage of the Halloween season. So when B.O.O. moved, Peanuts took its spot.

Ant-Man and Peanuts cater to wildly different demographics, so I think they'll both be fine in that spot.

Quote:
Plus with how much faith do FOX have in what should be a Summer block buster, when they're releasing it late Winter it anyway?
Why should it be only a summer blockbuster? Why can't it be a holiday blockbuster? Your logic makes no sense. Fox and its rivals realizes there's potential money to be made. Why do you think WB and Universal are releasing All You Need is Kill and Oblivion in the late winter/spring months? They're both budgeted at over $100M apiece, and the studios hope to bring in summer blockbuster-sized audiences during the off months.

All the prime summer spots are being booked years in advance too. And sandwiching a medium-sized blockbuster between behemoths like Avengers 2, Star Wars Episode 7 and Justice League spell commercial suicide.

If Fox truly didn't have faith in the reboot, they would've relegated to a dead month like January, February, or September.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 12-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #44
YoungPrime
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Fox must be under the gun to aim for 2015. I know they can retain the rights as long as the have the franchise in development by a certain date, but they also have to deliver a finished product. At this point they may be more concerned with holding onto those rights than with crafting a good film. To be honest, I believe they place more value on the rights to the FF's villains (Galactus, the Silver Surfer, Doctor Doom) than on the heroes themselves. It's a crying shame.
Exactly!

But fear not, if The Wolverine flops then there's no way people will flock to see a reboot that Fox couldn't get right the first time.

I also believe they're releasing this solely to keep the rights. But the only way that FF will come back to Marvel is if Disney buys it back about 3 years after this one flops. And if that's the kind of game that Fox want's to play then I may just consider boycotting more than just their Marvel films. Small but it all adds up.

Quote:
Where did they go wrong? All the ingredients were there.

You're right in the sense that the movies actually made money – they made $400 million – but I think the fans would like to see it done a little bit differently. There were some unusual choices made in that film. It's still not clear entirely what the plan is, but I do think that Fantastic Four wasn’t as good as Spider-Man or The Dark Knight so if it’s rebooted, it will be for good reasons.
When in doubt, just give it the Micheal Bay treatment by bashing your previous films in order to promote the new one.

Even better that Millar can throw his hands up and bash these films since he wasn't there when they released. But it's still a FOX product and placing it in March doesn't give me much confidence in it either.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #45
YoungPrime
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edguy View Post
I would get such a nerd boner if Disney c**k slapped Fox in the face by releasing a (good) Incredibles sequel same time Fox is releasing F4.
I enjoyed the first Incredible's film so it would be cool if Pixar did a sequel at all. Placing it against Fox's crappy reboot would be an added bonus to fans and concrete proof that Mickey really does love us... LOL!

Old 12-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #46
Zarex
Side-Kick

The release date is disappointing, as I was hoping the FF would be rebooted into the MCU. But I've come up with ten reasons why Marvel and Fox might reach an agreement to make that happen before 2015:

10) With the initial Star Wars film held in perpetuity (where have I heard that term before?) at Fox, Disney and Fox are going to have to reach a mutually beneficial arrangement to reach a complete box set before the new trilogy. Why not reach an agreement on the FF before working on the big dog?

9) A second poorly done series could kill the FF franchise for a decade or more. Fox and Marvel need to work together to prevent this.

8) If the rumors around the sale of Marvel to Disney were true, Disney wanted to bring the FF in house over all other stray franchises. They've paid Sony and Paramount before for merchandise and distribution rights. Disney may cut a check to Fox.

7) Marvel can loan characters to Fox such as Cable and Namor to strengthen the X-Men franchise. With Whedon stating his disdain for Wonderman, you could even see a reprise of the Beast/Wondy bromance at Fox. And characters held at Marvel like the Inhumans and Black Panther would increase the FF's chances for success.

6) The FF just fits better within the MCU - Thing/Hulk, Torch/Iron Man & Silver Surfer/Thor battles could match those of the 1st Avengers film. Doom and Galactus are both A list villains that could extend the MCU box office success.

5) An FF in the MCU is more valuable - A rebooted FF teased in preceding MCU films is likely to outperform the prior series at the box office and avoid the reboot curse.

4) Marvel needs a proven draw. The Iron Man franchise is drawing to a close and both Guardians and Ant Man are risky. The FF in the MCU is close to a sure thing.

3) Fox needs to avoid 2015. The FF reboot is likely to be overshadowed greatly by Avengers 2 coming up just two months later. A deal with Marvel can push the date back to 2016, where it is likely to fare much better.

2) An MCU FF gets the benefit of Disney's marketing strength and potentially an Avengers post credit scene tease.

1) Marvel put a lot of FF merchandise in the stores during the prior series, and most of it ended up in my house. Backpacks, t-shirts, stretchable Mr. Fantastic, Fantasticar toys, Thing hands and feet, Human Torch masks - you name it. There is no way Disney is going to take away valuable shelf space from Avengers and Star Wars in order to put FF product in the stores, meaning Fox will be losing millions in merchandising dollars they likely earned with the first series. This is the #1 reason I believe that Disney and Fox will reach an agreement to put the FF in the MCU.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #47
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Seriously, everyone with this Fox hate is misguided. Yes, they effed up in the past but they're showing that they're trying to get their act together with their films. Instead of rooting against Fox you should be hoping that hey make a good film, because if this goes back to Marvel something will suffer for it. Marvel can only make two films a year, if they have to make a FF movie then maybe a Doctor Strange or Black Panther movie will be cut for it, or they might just not make a FF movie at all. I'd rather have Fox, who will make a movie every few years, handle the rights than Marvel who might not make a movie for it at all. Not to mention that FF don't even need to be in the main MCU to function. It would be nice if they were and it would augment their impact, but it's not necessary especially with the X-Men being in a universe with them.

EDIT: The Iron Man franchise is not drawing to a close. And honestly the more I think about it the more I feel like the Avengers and FF being on the screen at the same time feels cheesy as ****. And how would Avengers overshadow FF after two months? Movies only have about a two month lifespan at the theaters in the first place. :/

Last edited by Mr. Dent; 12-08-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #48
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
But it's still a FOX product and placing it in March doesn't give me much confidence in it either.
Josh Trank's Chronicle came out Super Bowl weekend, and it did great business considering. It was a found-footage pic, but it made back its budget in two days, tripled its opening weekend gross and made a tidy profit for Fox.

I can see where you're coming from, but superhero films don't necessarily have to be a summertime release to make a big profit. And if Fox didn't have faith in it, why did they slate the release this early?

Marvel Studios and Disney is doing the same thing in 2014, with Captain America 2 bowing in April and Guardians of the Galaxy unleashed in August. Does that spell lack of confidence to you guys?

"Come Think With Us."
Old 12-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #49
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Not to mention Thor 2 in November. The only movies coming out in summer for Marvel is Iron Man 3 and Avengers 2.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #50
YoungPrime
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
The release date is disappointing, as I was hoping the FF would be rebooted into the MCU. But I've come up with ten reasons why Marvel and Fox might reach an agreement to make that happen before 2015:

10) With the initial Star Wars film held in perpetuity (where have I heard that term before?) at Fox, Disney and Fox are going to have to reach a mutually beneficial arrangement to reach a complete box set before the new trilogy. Why not reach an agreement on the FF before working on the big dog?

9) A second poorly done series could kill the FF franchise for a decade or more. Fox and Marvel need to work together to prevent this.

7) Marvel can loan characters to Fox such as Cable and Namor to strengthen the X-Men franchise. With Whedon stating his disdain for Wonderman, you could even see a reprise of the Beast/Wondy bromance at Fox. And characters held at Marvel like the Inhumans and Black Panther would increase the FF's chances for success.

6) The FF just fits better within the MCU - Thing/Hulk, Torch/Iron Man & Silver Surfer/Thor battles could match those of the 1st Avengers film. Doom and Galactus are both A list villains that could extend the MCU box office success.

5) An FF in the MCU is more valuable - A rebooted FF teased in preceding MCU films is likely to outperform the prior series at the box office and avoid the reboot curse.

4) Marvel needs a proven draw. The Iron Man franchise is drawing to a close and both Guardians and Ant Man are risky. The FF in the MCU is close to a sure thing.

3) Fox needs to avoid 2015. The FF reboot is likely to be overshadowed greatly by Avengers 2 coming up just two months later. A deal with Marvel can push the date back to 2016, where it is likely to fare much better.

2) An MCU FF gets the benefit of Disney's marketing strength and potentially an Avengers post credit scene tease.

1) Marvel put a lot of FF merchandise in the stores during the prior series, and most of it ended up in my house. Backpacks, t-shirts, stretchable Mr. Fantastic, Fantasticar toys, Thing hands and feet, Human Torch masks - you name it. There is no way Disney is going to take away valuable shelf space from Avengers and Star Wars in order to put FF product in the stores, meaning Fox will be losing millions in merchandising dollars they likely earned with the first series. This is the #1 reason I believe that Disney and Fox will reach an agreement to put the FF in the MCU.
From a business standpoint why would Marvel lift a finger to help FOX out of their mess?

This option would help FOX way more than it would Marvel, keep in mind Marvel only gets a measly 10% of box office revenues from FF if that. So again why should Marvel bother??? That 10% is barely a years worth of office supplies to them.

Marvel is doing their thing regardless and FOX is the one's playing catch up. So if Marvel takes over, I think they should reap all the benefits not just a fraction.

Quote:
8) If the rumors around the sale of Marvel to Disney were true, Disney wanted to bring the FF in house over all other stray franchises. They've paid Sony and Paramount before for merchandise and distribution rights. Disney may cut a check to Fox.
This here is the best recourse. But I doubt either will hear it at this point. But I'm almost certain that FF reboot will fail for obvious reasons. This is an unfortunate waste of time since I'd prefer seeing a well done Marvel FF film persevere.

Last edited by YoungPrime; 12-08-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Closed Thread