Old 01-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #526
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: Fantastic Four reborn! - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Both of which she can and has done.

Which is another thing: the writers need to avoid an excess of damsel-ness. Yes, Sue spent the first couple years as a pure useless damsel type. However, she then grew into being a strong heroine, with both courage and power. That is the person the readers actually like, and that is the portrayal that will go over far better with the audience.
Very true...one of the last Marvel Knights issues she almost kills a guy that was beating his wife.

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
Maya Angelou ...

Old 01-25-2013, 02:58 AM   #527
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

.... makes me wonder if Sue has read Shades of grey.

on a side note....wow we got the FF threads back!!!

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Old 02-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #528
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Just realized Fox is probably trying to pull a Hunger Games/Chronicle with this...give it a sub-100m budget and place the release at February-March and hope it makes back triple digits...I'm hoping they at least give it 120m though.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #529
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I'm hoping the have a good script. Chronicle is a really good movie so I'm not worried about the director but I am worried what Fox is going to allow Trank to do script and directing wise and rather they are going to force another non acting hottie in the role of Sue.

The budget thing is an issue as well but these 200mil budgets haven't made films any better. I guess since it's a superhero team film the budget should at least be over 120mil.

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #530
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Problem is, Fantastic Four kind of needs the higher budget. Unlike a lot of stories, it really does need to be set in fantastic environs, which cost money.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #531
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I wonder if they'll make some changes drastic changes to the new FF. I can see it been more in line with the tone of the X-Men films, you know the style, I don't mean taking away their costumes. Just wonder how you do this in a serious way, I personally can't see it but that's what excites me.

Just for the record I actually liked the previous FF films.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 02-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #532
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I wonder if they'll make some changes drastic changes to the new FF. I can see it been more in line with the tone of the X-Men films, you know the style, I don't mean taking away their costumes. Just wonder how you do this in a serious way, I personally can't see it but that's what excites me.

Just for the record I actually liked the previous FF films.
How "serious" are you speaking?

You just rent IRON MAN or THE AVENGERS and follow their lead...not that hard...

Old 02-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #533
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I'm hoping the have a good script. Chronicle is a really good movie so I'm not worried about the director but I am worried what Fox is going to allow Trank to do script and directing wise and rather they are going to force another non acting hottie in the role of Sue.

The budget thing is an issue as well but these 200mil budgets haven't made films any better. I guess since it's a superhero team film the budget should at least be over 120mil.
What would the Avengers have been on a $120 mil budget, or less?

NOT the same movie, that's for sure!

Perhaps more scenes of Fury talking about the fight Iron Man/Thor/Cap had, or people reacting to an off camera battle of Thor & Hulk on a Helicarrier that is not there, or an invasion of NY that was stopped before it began...

Old 02-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #534
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoom View Post
What would the Avengers have been on a $120 mil budget, or less?

NOT the same movie, that's for sure!

Perhaps more scenes of Fury talking about the fight Iron Man/Thor/Cap had, or people reacting to an off camera battle of Thor & Hulk on a Helicarrier that is not there, or an invasion of NY that was stopped before it began...
Giving an F4 reboot an Avengers movie budget is setting it up to fail at the box office. And I only wonder what an Avengers movie would be like if it had an actual script, if it wasn't completely vapid and didn't bore me during the first 45 minutes.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #535
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
How "serious" are you speaking?

You just rent IRON MAN or THE AVENGERS and follow their lead...not that hard...
Yeah probably right there actually

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 02-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #536
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Quote:
Giving an F4 reboot an Avengers movie budget is setting it up to fail at the box office. And I only wonder what an Avengers movie would be like if it had an actual script, if it wasn't completely vapid and didn't bore me during the first 45 minutes.
These people have to turn water into wine for you to actually compliment them, don't they?

Old 02-18-2013, 01:31 AM   #537
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well FF2 was made for $120 million when all was said and done, and that was seven or so years ago - that sort of money does not go as far these days - so essentially you would be back to the budget of FF1 which was not enough to give the movie the scope it needed or the effects it would require.

Sorry you did not care for the Avengers, but I would much rather have an FF movie like that than anything we have gotten from Fox thus far.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:34 AM   #538
Project862006
Banned User

i want something a bit more serious than avengers not dark and gritty but something like first class

Old 02-18-2013, 01:40 AM   #539
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

First Class got darker than Nolan's Batman movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.

Last edited by Mrs. Sawyer; 02-18-2013 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:09 AM   #540
Incrediblejeff
Still Incredible

I think it would be a cool twist if they made Doom the protagonist,and show the Fantastic 4 as the villains in his POV.It could be a super villain movie with an origin and everything.It probably has no chance of happening,but I would love it.

EDIT:I mean to put this in the Doom thread,but whatever.COPY PASTE.

Last edited by Incrediblejeff; 02-18-2013 at 02:27 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:14 AM   #541
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

"...and then we said 'To hell with it' and let the rights revert to Marvel, like God intended." a FOX spokesman recently said.

That was my dream.

With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."
~ The Road of Kings

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 02-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #542
mclay18
Side-Kick

Cliff Lanning has been hired as first assistant director for the movie. From the previous movies he's done (Batman Begins, Harry Potter 5, RED 2), it looks like filming will be done outside the U.S., perhaps in the UK?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002738/

"Come Think With Us."
Old 02-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #543
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Just realized Fox is probably trying to pull a Hunger Games/Chronicle with this...give it a sub-100m budget and place the release at February-March and hope it makes back triple digits...I'm hoping they at least give it 120m though.
March is a very good spot. Provided Fox makes a good movie, little competition and a solid marketing campaign, it can do even better business than the summertime.

WB and Disney realized this... movies that would've been pummeled in summertime like Alice in Wonderland or 300 cleaned up in a 'dead' month like March. And now it's prime territory after the May-July and November-December seasons.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 02-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #544
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
These people have to turn water into wine for you to actually compliment them, don't they?
LOL My standards aren't that high at all. I loved First Class and borderline loved Captain America. I just simply disagree with the with the idea that Avengers was a great film...like at all.
Quote:
Well FF2 was made for $120 million when all was said and done, and that was seven or so years ago - that sort of money does not go as far these days - so essentially you would be back to the budget of FF1 which was not enough to give the movie the scope it needed or the effects it would require.

Sorry you did not care for the Avengers, but I would much rather have an FF movie like that than anything we have gotten from Fox thus far.
Eh I liked Avengers, the characters and action mostly made up for the things I didn't like but something is fundamentally. wrong with a film to me if I have no urge to watch it again. I'm not saying they can't. give FF reboot a 150mil budget but 220mil like The Avengers is a bad move unless it has the greatest script of all time and they market it non stop for six months before it's. release date. And even then I don't see it justifying that type of budget.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #545
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
March is a very good spot. Provided Fox makes a good movie, little competition and a solid marketing campaign, it can do even better business than the summertime.

WB and Disney realized this... movies that would've been pummeled in summertime like Alice in Wonderland or 300 cleaned up in a 'dead' month like March. And now it's prime territory after the May-July and November-December seasons.
March is not necessarily a dead month.....most schools that have a Spring Break week have it in March....in Texas its the 3rd week for most schools...

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
Maya Angelou ...

Old 02-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #546
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
Cliff Lanning has been hired as first assistant director for the movie. From the previous movies he's done (Batman Begins, Harry Potter 5, RED 2), it looks like filming will be done outside the U.S., perhaps in the UK?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002738/
Cool find! Thanks!

As for release dates, I think things have changed quite a bit since I was a kid and there were only a few big movies that hoped to own the summer. Now we have big movies (or at least ones that hope to be big) sprinkled throughout the year and it's not really realistic to think there will be a Jaws or Star Wars that will be the one movie everybody is talking about and seeing over and over again.

I'm seeing a lot of ads for Jack the Giant Slayer, and it seems that the producers of that film hope it will be big with a March 1st open.

With how crowded things are becoming, I can certainly see the logic in trying to be the big early film rather than being one of several big sumer films.

I wouldn't be surprised if ten years from now we're seeing a big film open every weekend. That seems to be the direction we're headed.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #547
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
March is not necessarily a dead month.....most schools that have a Spring Break week have it in March....in Texas its the 3rd week for most schools...
Public K-12, schools usually have it around Easter. Week before or week after. Sometimes its in march, sometimes not

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 02-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #548
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Public K-12, schools usually have it around Easter. Week before or week after. Sometimes its in march, sometimes not
Not in the South and districts that have high schools connected with colleges for dual credit courses....we have a week off in March and usually a 3 or 4 day weekend at Easter. We use to have it with Easter back when I was in school, but that changed years ago. Most districts that have high schools that are connected with community colleges for dual credit courses have theirs at the same time as the college Spring Break, which is usually in March. That is so that those kids that are in dual credit courses get a true week off.

Maya Angelou ...

Old 02-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #549
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Not in the South and districts that have high schools connected with colleges for dual credit courses....we have a week off in March and usually a 3 or 4 day weekend at Easter. We use to have it with Easter back when I was in school, but that changed years ago. Most districts that have high schools that are connected with community colleges for dual credit courses have theirs at the same time as the college Spring Break, which is usually in March. That is so that those kids that are in dual credit courses get a true week off.
Hmm Midwest must do it differently. We (unless maybe you're a giant highschool in the city, and a wealthy area) have very few schools that are connected with colleges. It sounds like a good thing to have though. But the closest college type connections we have are joint vocational schools... And those who attend those usually arnt the ones who end up going to college.(i know when i was in school the only ones who went to jvs were those who hated highschool and anything to do with it) Majority of the kids stay at the basic high school and don't earn college credits while there.

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 02-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #550
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
I mean before 300 and Alice in Wonderland (both early March) changed the landscape for big budget movies in springtime. Timing it for spring break can help (certainly during the weekdays), but it's all contingent on whether the movie(s) are must-sees or not. If it's not, people aren't going to see it until later.

I'm still amazed at the HUGE opening weekend The Hunger Games had... and it's the only springtime release to make July-sized coin. It's all testament to a studio's marketing prowess, quality of the movie, and the pre-release buzz. Fox is deluding themselves that the reboot can hit a $100M opening weekend... but a $70M opening weekend in March is doable.

"Come Think With Us."
Closed Thread