The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

View Poll Results: Hobbit An Unexpected Journey.
10 16 20.78%
9 22 28.57%
8 15 19.48%
7 7 9.09%
6 13 16.88%
5 3 3.90%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 1 1.30%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #101
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Default Re: Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
Well if you didn't it would feel rushed.
Didn't Jackson just say something about that?
He thinks the theatrical cut of Kong is rushed.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #102
Sgt. Fury
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
lol well if movie company's and theaters would MAKE 9 hour movies we could sit and watch the whole thing then couldn't we? lol

I understand what you're saying I really don't have one fave LotR film. I like them all equally. Tho I do consider each movie a bookmark in a Novel. Keep in mind Lotr was originally ONE book not three.
Only a few directors made movies that long (check out Andy Warhol), but few theaters would show them. I also consider the trilogy one huge movie. The way I remember it, Tolkien submitted it as one huge novel, and the publisher made him separate it into a trilogy.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #103
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Fury View Post
Only a few directors made movies that long (check out Andy Warhol), but few theaters would show them. I also consider the trilogy one huge movie. The way I remember it, Tolkien submitted it as one huge novel, and the publisher made him separate it into a trilogy.
Looks like the publisher knew what they were doing.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #104
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

the cg looks fine. Idk what you guys are saying. I have seen many many movies and the CG work rarely ever takes me out of a film. I dont even think about it. Even when its not as good as stuff like davy jones. Maybe its because I dont have that film critic eye like you guys. lol. I just watch movies and enjoy them

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Old 12-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #105
Venomfan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardStark View Post
I think 2D is what this should be seen in. Now Star Wars is a 3D Event and btw I can't wait to finally see 3D A New Hope or the original trilogy.
i dont really understand this. Wasn't the hobbit filmed with 3D cameras like Avatar so that it would have the best 3D, where as star wars was on regular film

Old 12-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #106
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Looks like the publisher knew what they were doing.
The publisher made him separate it because a novel of that size was cost prohibitive at the time . Paper and ink costs at the time were very expensive and the publisher would have needed to charge such a large price for the book that they knew they wouldnt make a sale let alone a profit. They talk about it in the FOTR EE documentary about Tolkien.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 12-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #107
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
But thats not the way the films were plotted.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #108
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
The publisher made him separate it because a novel of that size was cost prohibitive at the time . Paper and ink costs at the time were very expensive and the publisher would have needed to charge such a large price for the book that they knew they wouldnt make a sale let alone a profit. They talk about it in the FOTR EE documentary about Tolkien.
It is also on wiki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
Exactly. I love how this is ignored. Watching the films, each tells its own individual story. FOTR and TTT are so successful because of it. That ROTK falls apart is ignored because some don't want to acknowledge that it is its own film.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #109
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
It is also on wiki.
Well that too.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 12-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #110
Pond
Side-Kick

Quote:
Its also in his published leters. Tolkien tried to ask printers about the price and he himself saw that the book could only be sold as an expensive collectors item, while he wanted it to be far more widespread, so he divided it into a trilogy, only because of costs; it was always intended to be one book, from a creative standpoint, but one has to adapt to circunstances.

Its an interesting read. Return of the King was one of the titles he switched the least, having much problems with The Two Towers; in the end he preferred The War of The Ring to Return of the King, but the publisher prefered the later, so it stayed that way.

Whatever the motive though, its a trilogy now. I love my ONE VOLUME edition, but its incredibly uncomfortable to read, so i end up reading the sepaate books anyway...

Old 12-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #111
CoolCadaver49
Not a Hero...

Quote:
Exactly. I love how this is ignored. Watching the films, each tells its own individual story. FOTR and TTT are so successful because of it. That ROTK falls apart is ignored because some don't want to acknowledge that it is its own film.
Dude... Why do you hate RotK so very much? If I had to pick a favorite of the trilogy (first, I would try to find a way out, but if I had to), it would probably be RotK. It's just, I don't see your opinion reflected in very many people that I know, yet you state that RotK is easily the weakest like it's a widely known fact.

I'm not interested in debating with you, but I'm honestly just curious as to why you seem to despise it so much.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #112
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCadaver49 View Post
Dude... Why do you hate RotK so very much? If I had to pick a favorite of the trilogy (first, I would try to find a way out, but if I had to), it would probably be RotK. It's just, I don't see your opinion reflected in very many people that I know, yet you state that RotK is easily the weakest like it's a widely known fact.

I'm not interested in debating with you, but I'm honestly just curious as to why you seem to despise it so much.
ROTK has some pacing problems but beyond that it has very few problems. Among the public, general movie goers, and just people I know it is the go to favorite of the three. Critically among 44 top critics it only has one negative review and out 243 total reviews it only has 14 negative reviews so DarthSkywalker is definitely in a minority of those who dislike the film.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 12-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #113
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomfan View Post
i dont really understand this. Wasn't the hobbit filmed with 3D cameras like Avatar so that it would have the best 3D, where as star wars was on regular film
yep it looks aturly fantastic, and I usually find 3D jarring as I tend to occasionally see double image

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 12-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #114
Destructus86
Side-Kick

I find it interesting that some of the reviewers complain about the length. Personally, I would have been happy with a 4 hour movie and the first hour just exploring the life of a Hobbit and the Dwarves. No lie.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #115
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
I find it interesting that some of the reviewers complain about the length. Personally, I would have been happy with a 4 hour movie and the first hour just exploring the life of a Hobbit and the Dwarves. No lie.
I'm genuinely surprised by the reaction - I would say that it flows at a much better pace than LOTR - there are very few lulls, even though they don't leave the shire for what could be up to 40 mins it flew by, and was actually one of my fav parts

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 12-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #116
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Its been nearly 10 years since ROTK. Maybe audiences wont be as receptible to the universe and films this time. A lot has changed in the film market.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #117
Sgt. Fury
Side-Kick

Quote:
I had no problem with the films.

Quote:
So you are one of those posters who KNOWS what others are thinking. Well, can you guess what I'm thinking now?

Old 12-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #118
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Ive never viewed any of them as their own film. How and why would anyone view it that way? FOTR and TTT have no conclusion. And each film picks up right where the laat one left off. They are three parts of one large film.

I understand watching one by itself but LOTR is one large film chopped into three parts the same as the book.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #119
jf300
Side-Kick

Exactly.

Each film can stand on their own as brilliant cinema, but they are all 3 definitely part of a bigger whole. Without one, the others would fail.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #120
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

Quote:
Its been nearly 10 years since ROTK. Maybe audiences wont be as receptible to the universe and films this time. A lot has changed in the film market.
perhaps, I am just surprised, I like Lord of the Rings, but have never been gaga about it as most, yet for me the Hobbit was a charming light hearted epic fantasy adventure which worked perfectly

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 12-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #121
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
I had no problem with the films.

So you are one of those posters who KNOWS what others are thinking. Well, can you guess what I'm thinking now?
Neither do I, I'm just saying unlike the book being one work, the films are three films. The material was pushed and pulled and tweaked so that each film could tell a mostly cohesive arc.

The Two Towers especially tells its own story. Sure Frodo and Sam are on the road ever forward but all the Rohan stuff and all the stuff with Theodin and helm's deep plays as a very good story. Its probably the reason why I've always enjoyed The Two Towers the most.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #122
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCadaver49 View Post

It is a long, bloated film, that is also incomplete. I am going to forget the ridiculous, exhausting and repetitive last part of the film. I am just going to talk about the stuff before they get to Mount Doom.

Everything is the end of everything. Everyone has to do it. Everyone has to either die or almost die. You know when people complain about Snyder's slow-mo? That is how this film plays out. Grab a Hobbit, look to the sky and shed a tear because everyone is experiencing the most poignant moment in the history of mankind, one after the other after the other.

Now this wouldn't be fine under any circumstance imo, but at the very least they could have spread this out with some actual plot work. It also does murder on the characters. Everyone other then Frodo, Gandalf, Gollum and Sam are reduced to caricatures, with Gimli, Legolas, Merry, Pip, and Eoywn getting the worst of it.

The battle itself just doesn't work like Helm's Deep does. With Helm's Deep they did a very good job of structuring the battle. You get a sense of progression, what is going on and what it means when each position is lost. Here, there is no focus. If Gandalf had been a general instead of simply a guy running around fighting with his sword, it would of had potential. After all it is set up to be a battle of generalship between the Witch-king and Gandalf, but that is ignored and the cgi creations just sort of go around hitting things.

I think nothing is worse though then what happens to Aragorn. He is almost sidelined, made anything but irrelevant. This is his ascension, but it is as if all of the important Aragorn bits ended up on the cutting room floor or the EE.

Also, so many of the important character moments are left for the EE in favor of the long, drawn out ending.

Then there are just the weird decisions. Legolas surfing, Denethor running a mile on fire just so he could fall a long ways, The Witch-king's promise to break Gandalf being completely ignored (and in the EE being terrible), whatever Aragorn is suppose to be doing with the troll, every Arwen scene.

Quote:
ROTK has some pacing problems but beyond that it has very few problems. Among the public, general movie goers, and just people I know it is the go to favorite of the three. Critically among 44 top critics it only has one negative review and out 243 total reviews it only has 14 negative reviews so DarthSkywalker is definitely in a minority of those who dislike the film.
I always found those to be "crowning achievement" awards, like the Oscar. Good job for the series type stuff.

A lot of the general public and movie goers would probably tell you RoTS is the best SW films, and that is probably after actually having seen SW and ESB.

Quote:
Ive never viewed any of them as their own film. How and why would anyone view it that way? FOTR and TTT have no conclusion. And each film picks up right where the laat one left off. They are three parts of one large film.

I understand watching one by itself but LOTR is one large film chopped into three parts the same as the book.
Oh come. When the groups all go off in their separate directions with purpose and Aragorn sends his "brother" off, you have the end of a film. When Isengard falls and Helm's Deep saved, you have the end of a film.

There are storylines and agendas that presented and resolved before the end of each film.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #123
HowardStark
Banned User

Quote:
Jackson certainly seems to feel that practical effects are no longer worth the frustration of what he perceives as their limitations. In a recent interview with the LA Times he mentions a focus on not being restricted to "the human triangle" as far as facial features go.

As I've mentioned before, its ironic that Jackson is leaving behind practical effects due to the limitations of facial features and yet the work of the originally intended director of these films, Guillermo del Toro features creatures and characters with all kinds of eye lines and mouths and body parts, and of all different sizes, largely done with practical effects and for mere fractions of the cost of Jackson's films from the past decade.
If you go back to Rings really only Lurz in FOTR and Elephant Man Goblin in ROTK was the only real seemingly best talking Goblins. Some Goblins you could tell had trouble talking and some people complained couldn't understand what they said. Maybe Jackson sees it as an aide in performance craft where Gollum didn't have such make up and prosthetic issues when talking but looked as good as any costume wearing goblin.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #124
HowardStark
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey-dude View Post
perhaps, I am just surprised, I like Lord of the Rings, but have never been gaga about it as most, yet for me the Hobbit was a charming light hearted epic fantasy adventure which worked perfectly
So you have seen the movie then. How was the 3D and which Dwarf did you like best.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #125
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardStark View Post
If you go back to Rings really only Lurz in FOTR and Elephant Man Goblin in ROTK was the only real seemingly best talking Goblins. Some Goblins you could tell had trouble talking and some people complained couldn't understand what they said. Maybe Jackson sees it as an aide in performance craft where Gollum didn't have such make up and prosthetic issues when talking but looked as good as any costume wearing goblin.
You do realize that had nothing to do with the prosthetic right? ADR happened.