The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: What is your favorite comic book film of all time?
Spider-Man (2002) 13 12.26%
Spider-Man 2 26 24.53%
The Amazing Spider-Man 20 18.87%
The Dark Knight 49 46.23%
The Dark Knight Rises 24 22.64%
Marvel's The Avengers 36 33.96%
Iron Man 20 18.87%
Captain America: The First Avenger 7 6.60%
Thor 11 10.38%
Superman 10 9.43%
Superman II 6 5.66%
V For Vendetta 5 4.72%
Watchmen 3 2.83%
X2: X-Men United 17 16.04%
X-Men: First Class 11 10.38%
Other 15 14.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #251
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on
 
Spider-Aziz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 36,012
Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERAL RAAM582 View Post
Video game adaptations will have their moment. I won't be surprised if Assassin's Creed or Splinter Cell is it.
When I saw novelization based on Splinter Cell I thought this was the source material

__________________
State Your Opinion on a Marvel Character
We're abusing our acronym privileges...
shaxper is not guilty
Fan of classic comics? Join here
- ran by great folks
Spider-Aziz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #252
Web face
Side-Kick
 
Web face's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,765
Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualiza View Post
I can agree with this. This is indeed one thing the Raimi movies didn't depict, although the key thing is that I don't think they suffered because of it. Peter was a very acceptable protagonist in every regard IMO, "Tobey face" jokes notwithstanding.
Yeah I think SM1 is pretty good. I'd be lying if I said that I have the same opinion now compared to 10 years ago, but it is still a good film. I just wanted to point out that the mechanical web shooters were good for something.

Web face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #253
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated
 
Picard Sisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17,948
Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

I love how 71% and 81% positive on RT is called "mediocre." Geez, how do you guys describe a movie that gets 40%? The reaction was a little more more than just "meh."

Number 1: Casino Royale, although a reboot in a sense, is NOT a fair comparison. Every time a new actor comes in, the franchise changes completely. Can't say that Sean Connery, Roger Moore, or Pierce Brosnan are all alike. The only difference between Casino Royale and the rest of the films was that it showed Bond in his early days.

Number 2: Batman and Robin was a huge failure, and considered disgusting by almost everyone. Batman Begins came out 7 years later, and did something we never saw before: tell Batman's origin. And do it right.

Number 3: The Amazing Spider-Man came out 5 years later, at a bad time as well (people focused on the Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises), and a lot of viewers felt the movie was unnecessary because it re-told the origin. Sure, it didn't make nearly as much as the previous films, but $752 million is pretty darn impressive, whether you want to admit it or not. The sequel will make no doubt make more money overall, as the sequels to CBMs tend to do better than the origin films (except for Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer). However, most agree that the new Peter Parker/Spider-Man is much more likable than what we previously saw in the Raimi films, and they like the new "tone" of this franchise. I think the film exceeded many viewer's expectations if anything.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Parker
"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Avatar by SpideyK.
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #254
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on
 
Spider-Aziz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 36,012
Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
I love how 71% and 81% positive on RT is called "mediocre." Geez, how do you guys describe a movie that gets 40%? The reaction was a little more more than just "meh."
Pathetic and a complete waste of time and money?

__________________
State Your Opinion on a Marvel Character
We're abusing our acronym privileges...
shaxper is not guilty
Fan of classic comics? Join here
- ran by great folks
Spider-Aziz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #255
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated
 
Picard Sisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17,948
Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

I just think that TASM is worthy of being called something better than mediocre. It did a great job in building the grounds for the new franchise, and although flawed, it was a very enjoyable movie. I mean, once again, TDKR was very flawed, and I honestly think that it rides off the success of TDK. Just my thoughts.

The context in which TASM was released is very important, because it does influence all the reviews that come out for the film. If this was the first Spider-Man film, I guarantee its rating would have been at least 85-90% on RT. Once again, it was the reboot "nobody" wanted, so it had a lot going against it, and I'm impressed it was able to get the reviews it did, and do wonderfully at the box office. It is currently in 46th place for highest grossing films of all time. So I applaud the film for achieving what it did, and now expect the sequel to do better.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Parker
"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Avatar by SpideyK.

Last edited by Picard Sisko; 12-14-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #256
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold
 
SoNicRaDiATioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,610
Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
I love how 71% and 81% positive on RT is called "mediocre." Geez, how do you guys describe a movie that gets 40%? The reaction was a little more more than just "meh."
In some cases more positive and in some MUCH WORSE. Overall I'd say indifference is accurate. The momentum just isn't there like it should have been sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Number 1: Casino Royale, although a reboot in a sense, is NOT a fair comparison. Every time a new actor comes in, the franchise changes completely. Can't say that Sean Connery, Roger Moore, or Pierce Brosnan are all alike. The only difference between Casino Royale and the rest of the films was that it showed Bond in his early days.
A new actor came in on Spider-Man as well. As well as a new director, new writers, etc. Why would you reboot if you weren't trying to create something completely different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Number 2: Batman and Robin was a huge failure, and considered disgusting by almost everyone. Batman Begins came out 7 years later, and did something we never saw before: tell Batman's origin. And do it right.
Exactly. And TASM did the origin AGAIN only ten years after the first one. And it didn't do it nearly as well as BB (the point of my whole argument). The beats were too siimilar and it lacked inspiration. If you are going to repeat something take us places we haven't been, not recycled beats with a new coat of paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Number 3: $752 million is pretty darn impressive, whether you want to admit it or not. The sequel will make no doubt make more money overall, as the sequels to CBMs tend to do better than the origin films (except for Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer). However, most agree that the new Peter Parker/Spider-Man is much more likable than what we previously saw in the Raimi films, and they like the new "tone" of this franchise. I think the film exceeded many viewer's expectations if anything.
It's impressive for a reboot, but nobody is really arguing against that point. The films overall quality and the state of the franchise moving forward is the key issue.

__________________
GuardiansoftheGalaxyTheAvengersX2WinterSoldierDaysofFuturePast

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 12-15-2012 at 01:53 AM.
SoNicRaDiATioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #257
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated
 
Picard Sisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17,948
Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
A new actor came in on Spider-Man as well. As well as a new director, new writers, etc. Why would you reboot if you weren't trying to create something completely different?
My point is that by the time Casino Royale came out, people were already used to the James Bond franchise being "rebooted" over and over again. In reality, every Bond film is the same. Gunbarrel, opening scene, opening credits, Bond with a woman, Bond goes to another country, fights bad guy, wins, end credits.

Anyways, TASM is still very different from the Raimi trilogy. There are some similarities (OBVIOUSLY... based on same source material)... but this franchise has the potential to be a lot better than the old one.


Quote:
Exactly. And TASM did the origin AGAIN only ten years after the first one. And it didn't do it nearly as well as BB (the point of my whole argument). The beats were too siimilar and it lacked inspiration.
It did the origin over again, but the movie was different enough. Financially, it did so much better than Batman Begins. Although I know TASM2 won't do nearly as well as TDK, it will be a success (unless the movie is utter crap). The beats were similar in TASM and SM1 because they are both based off the same origin story. I disagree about it being "uninspired."

Quote:
It's impressive for a reboot, but nobody is really arguing against that point. The films overall quality and the state of the franchise moving forward is the key issue.
The film is still considered good quality and the franchise is obviously moving forward. The movie created the grounds for the franchise, so we haven't really seen what Marc Webb has in store for us.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Parker
"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Avatar by SpideyK.
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #258
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated
 
Picard Sisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17,948
Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Once again, if this is coming down to critiquing the film's quality, its also heading into opinion territory. If you want to say how YOU felt about it, that's another story. But the movie WAS a success, considering the circumstances.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Parker
"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Avatar by SpideyK.
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #259
Visualiza
What is a yout?
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 1,334
Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Number 1: Casino Royale, although a reboot in a sense, is NOT a fair comparison. Every time a new actor comes in, the franchise changes completely. Can't say that Sean Connery, Roger Moore, or Pierce Brosnan are all alike. The only difference between Casino Royale and the rest of the films was that it showed Bond in his early days.


Number 2: Batman and Robin was a huge failure, and considered disgusting by almost everyone. Batman Begins came out 7 years later, and did something we never saw before: tell Batman's origin. And do it right.


Number 3: The Amazing Spider-Man came out 5 years later, at a bad time as well (people focused on the Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises), and a lot of viewers felt the movie was unnecessary because it re-told the origin. Sure, it didn't make nearly as much as the previous films, but $752 million is pretty darn impressive, whether you want to admit it or not. The sequel will make no doubt make more money overall, as the sequels to CBMs tend to do better than the origin films (except for Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer). However, most agree that the new Peter Parker/Spider-Man is much more likable than what we previously saw in the Raimi films, and they like the new "tone" of this franchise. I think the film exceeded many viewer's expectations if anything.
We don't seem to be on the same sheet of music here, so I'll just try to be as concise as I can be. Let me know if I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, because it looks like one or both of us are doing this. Preface all of this as my opinion, btw.

  • Spider-Man 3 has no bearing, positive or negative, on the outcome of TASM because it is not tied to any continuity constraints. Not being "as bad" as Batman & Robin is a non-sequitur, as Batman & Robin's legacy didn't inexplicably make Batman Begins a good movie, just as Spider-Man 3 didn't somehow condemn TASM. The very notion is pure nonsense, because by that logic, TASM should have been a landmark creative achievement.
  • All of your arguments with regard to perception, i.e. bad timing, it went up against Avengers, people felt it was unnecessary, etc. are not characteristics of the movie. Therefore, you can't say that any of these factors hampered the way the movie turned out. The movie turned out the way it did, whether you love it or you hate, because the creators made the decisions they made while developing the movie. When I watch this film, the last things I think about are Avengers, the timing of its release, and especially Spider-Man 3, since they no longer occupy the same universe.
  • In that same vein, your other arguments seem to suggest that the other movies were so successful not because of good writing, careful direction, or believable performances, but rather due to circumstances outside of the control of the creative teams, such as the critical reception of the previous films, past actors, the length of time since the previous installment, the age of the franchise, among others. All of that stuff isn't even arbitrary, it flat out doesn't apply. I couldn't even imagine how Daniel Craig would react if someone were to tell him "Your Bond movie was only good because you were the new guy, and because the last movies sucked."

Here's the point I'm trying to drive home. Solid writing and a clear focus make a good movie. In the case of a reboot, the movie is free from continuity constraints, and is effectively unhindered in how it can interpret the franchise. The one thing that you seem to be dismissing is the fact that a fresh reboot has as much chance to fail as it does to succeed. This means that no matter you try and stack the deck for or against a franchise(it's a known quantity, 50+ year film history, Tom Cruise is in it, the last one was garbage, etc.), it ultimately has to succeed on its own merits.

With that being said, Spider-Man had every chance to positively affect the franchise like the other films did, but it fell short, simple as that.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #260
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated
 
Picard Sisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17,948
Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualiza View Post
We don't seem to be on the same sheet of music here, so I'll just try to be as concise as I can be. Let me know if I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, because it looks like one or both of us are doing this. Preface all of this as my opinion, btw.

  • Spider-Man 3 has no bearing, positive or negative, on the outcome of TASM because it is not tied to any continuity constraints. Not being "as bad" as Batman & Robin is a non-sequitur, as Batman & Robin's legacy didn't inexplicably make Batman Begins a good movie, just as Spider-Man 3 didn't somehow condemn TASM. The very notion is pure nonsense, because by that logic, TASM should have been a landmark creative achievement.
  • All of your arguments with regard to perception, i.e. bad timing, it went up against Avengers, people felt it was unnecessary, etc. are not characteristics of the movie. Therefore, you can't say that any of these factors hampered the way the movie turned out. The movie turned out the way it did, whether you love it or you hate, because the creators made the decisions they made while developing the movie. When I watch this film, the last things I think about are Avengers, the timing of its release, and especially Spider-Man 3, since they no longer occupy the same universe.
  • In that same vein, your other arguments seem to suggest that the other movies were so successful not because of good writing, careful direction, or believable performances, but rather due to circumstances outside of the control of the creative teams, such as the critical reception of the previous films, past actors, the length of time since the previous installment, the age of the franchise, among others. All of that stuff isn't even arbitrary, it flat out doesn't apply. I couldn't even imagine how Daniel Craig would react if someone were to tell him "Your Bond movie was only good because you were the new guy, and because the last movies sucked."

Here's the point I'm trying to drive home. Solid writing and a clear focus make a good movie. In the case of a reboot, the movie is free from continuity constraints, and is effectively unhindered in how it can interpret the franchise. The one thing that you seem to be dismissing is the fact that a fresh reboot has as much chance to fail as it does to succeed. This means that no matter you try and stack the deck for or against a franchise(it's a known quantity, 50+ year film history, Tom Cruise is in it, the last one was garbage, etc.), it ultimately has to succeed on its own merits.

With that being said, Spider-Man had every chance to positively affect the franchise like the other films did, but it fell short, simple as that.
I was saying that the circumstances and the context in which the film was released has an impact on how the film is viewed by both audiences and critics. I study film and media, as well as fine arts, and one thing my professors always make clear is that CONTEXT changes everything. The Mona Lisa will always be the Mona Lisa painting, but where you view it completely changes your perception of the piece. Walter Benjamin talked about how the reproduction of the work and taking it outside the gallery setting will alter its "aura."

So by releasing TASM shortly after SM3, and in between the Avengers and TDKR, it made it the "underdog." It was, once again, the film nobody wanted. People still had the previous films in mind. In that sense, as I said earlier, the context means a lot, and TASM did well considering that.

Whether or not you think the film is good or bad is just opinion. If you think it was good enough or not is also another story.

EDIT: Also, I think now that TASM has been released, people are over the fact that the Spider-Man franchise has been rebooted. The majority of fans were completely against the idea, and look how things changed. That in itself is also an achievement.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Parker
"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Avatar by SpideyK.

Last edited by Picard Sisko; 12-14-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #261
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated
 
Picard Sisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17,948
Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Well, this "debate" was interesting and fun, but its tiring already. Plus, I have better things to do. As I have to keep saying on every forum, time to move on...

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Parker
"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Avatar by SpideyK.
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #262
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold
 
SoNicRaDiATioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,610
Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
So by releasing TASM shortly after SM3, and in between the Avengers and TDKR, it made it the "underdog." It was, once again, the film nobody wanted. People still had the previous films in mind. In that sense, as I said earlier, the context means a lot, and TASM did well considering that.

Whether or not you think the film is good or bad is just opinion. If you think it was good enough or not is also another story.
The bottom line is the film underwhelmed. Extraneous elements like the Avengers, TDKR, SM3, or release dates have little bearing on the quality of TASM itself. The people who went to the theater and watched the film found it lackluster for the most part. There are definitely more passionate groups on either side, but overall it's seen as standard blockbuster fare. Decent but nothing special.

__________________
GuardiansoftheGalaxyTheAvengersX2WinterSoldierDaysofFuturePast

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 12-14-2012 at 10:08 PM.
SoNicRaDiATioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #263
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated
 
Picard Sisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17,948
Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
The bottom line is the film underwhelmed. Extraneous elements like the Avengers, TDKR, SM3, or release dates, have little bearing on the quality of TASM itself.
I never said that extraneous elements affect the quality of the film, I said they affect the perception of it. Once again, the quality of the film is all opinion. The film being underwhelming is your opinion. Some disagree, and some do agree with that. To each their own.

Quote:
The people who went to the theater and watched the film found it lackluster for the most part. There are definitely more passionate groups on either side, but overall it's seen as standard blockbuster fare. Decent but nothing special.
And which people are you referring to? Perhaps professional critics found to to be just a standard blockbuster, but it has been well received by the general audiences.

If you are telling me that you don't like it, then that's just fine with me. I respect your opinion. But you can't state it like its a fact, and speak for everyone.

I'm really tired of this debate. May we please move on?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Parker
"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Avatar by SpideyK.
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #264
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold
 
SoNicRaDiATioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,610
Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
I never said that extraneous elements affect the quality of the film, I said they affect the perception of it. Once again, the quality of the film is all opinion. The film being underwhelming is your opinion. Some disagree, and some do agree with that. To each their own.
Understood, but what has a greater impact on the perception of a film then the film itself? Word of mouth goes a long way after a films release.

And you honestly don't think that the critical and audience reactions have been underwhelming? It's a solid start to a new series, but it's not like the bandwagan is overflowing with new converts. I haven't noticed a significant amount of new posters on the Spidey boards, have you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
I'm really tired of this debate. May we please move on?
Sure thing, have a good night.

__________________
GuardiansoftheGalaxyTheAvengersX2WinterSoldierDaysofFuturePast
SoNicRaDiATioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #265
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated
 
Picard Sisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17,948
Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Same to you!

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Parker
"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Avatar by SpideyK.
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:32 PM   #266
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick
 
Spiderdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,252
Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
So because comics can be inconsistent, that's a defense for a 2 hour movie being inconsistent as well? There's a huge difference between being inconsistent in comics there are thousands of and being inconsistent throughout one 2 hour movie.

Most of the time he punches thugs unconscious and web them up. Why would he hold back his punches more against a super villain such as Doc Ock? Why not just give him one successful hit to win like he does to many others? Aziz isn't missing any point there when it comes to the logic.

To not give the ASM haters any fun, yes ASM is inconsistent as well when it comes to the Spider Sense and that bothers me even more than the punches at Doc Ock (because I didn't even think of that before Aziz brought that up). Though it was pretty inconsistent in Raimi's trilogy as well.

I didn't like that his Spider Sense went off at the rooftop at Gwen's home. That was a bit extreme since the danger was so far away. It had been better if he'd just looked down, seen all the police cars rushing to the bridge and understanding that there's something going on there.
As long as there are superheroes with actual superpowers,the inconsitencies will always be there,we have to live with that

Quote:
Also, when Lizard attacked Spider-Man in that underground water system thingy, the sound didn't come off. I've seen people say it did but I've seen the scene plenty of times and I think people mistake the music score sound at that moment as a Spider Sense sound. However, it is very clear that the Spider Sense do come off just by looking at Spidey's body language, but the sound is missing which makes it feel inconsistent.
It did come off,it also came of before Stacy was gonna unmask him and when the Lizards where going into the Sewer and during the final swing

Spiderdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #267
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick
 
Spiderdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,252
Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
And you say I sound stupid...

There's a difference than feeling guilt and what I bring up by Peter saying HE created the Lizard. If I'm being too literal on that dialogue, then excuse me for thinking something through. I will learn not to do this in TAS-M 2
Richard Parker did invent the formula,but he hid it well
On the other hand Peter completed it and gave it to Connors(something Richard knowingly avoided)
He was responsible for creating the Lizard

Spiderdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #268
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick
 
Spiderdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,252
Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
It did better than the last three Batman films by Schumacher and Burton domestically and WW with its new vision of Batman. That's a huge feat itself.
Adjusted for inflation it only beat Batman and Robin

Anyway,So I think making 500M WW odd and beating SR is a huge feat by your logic.Thats around what I expect it to make

Quote:
Sadly we got a film that tried to tie itself with a series almost thirty years back. More were expecting a fresh take, not something that just jumped on that back of a series decades ago.
Fair point

Spiderdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #269
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick
 
Spiderdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,252
Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
It's still a fantasy film, there has to be some suspension of disbelief.
No way to justify it,it was lazy writing at its best.
Quote:
A truly realistic Batman film would involve him dying within a week or being tracked down by government forces and imprisoned. My point was within the context of the genre. There are going to be leaps in logic that the audience is going to have to make, but for the most part Nolan did an excellent job in bringing a sense of realism to the films.
It did but the fight scenes(whatever little they were) were terribly written,especially in TDKR

Quote:
You may have a point when it comes to reshoots, multiple takes, post-work and other stunt costs, but my point was being less creatively reliant on CGI. The filmmakers should be thinking about how to achieve a more real & visceral experience with the action and MUCH less on the pixilated WOW factor of computer effects. It felt too familiar.
Thats EXACTLY what TASM did.And thats why they were lack lustre despite bloating the budget
Almost everything was done in reality,the whole school fight,except the corridor scene was practically done and its not a surprise that the corridor scene was the best part of the school scene,both Lizards and Spidey's encounter with the NYPD was practically done,the subway fight also,the one in the sewers.Everything

Which is why I say,to find the perfect balance between CGI and Practical work is crucial.Which is what Raimi did and Whedon in recent times did perfectly

Quote:
You can do non CGI stylish action. And stylish doesn't necessarily mean better either. A lot depends on the circumstances.
Not with Spider-man,you cant
Maybe with Heroes like Batman or CapAm

Quote:
Nolan's name carries weight overseas and we know the spectacle of 3D does. It will challenge IM3 next summer. I'm not saying it will beat it, but I think it will be closer then a lot of people think.
Fair point,Nolan's name will attract a lot of People.
But I think TA's success has given IM3 a big boost already.I wont be surprised if it makes a billion

Quote:
Then don't go for this tone. Unless of course you want to make nothing more then a typical comic film.
Using the fun tone isnt 'Typical' or 'common'
The Dark/Reality tone has been used several times aswell with Daredevil,Nolan's Trilogy,IM and TASM and MOS in recent times

Quote:
SMI was bound to sell more then BB on DVD as it made more then twice the amount of coin at the box office. BB caught a lot of people by surprise who were just expecting another campy/lame Batman film. Look at the difference when the sequel came out.
It was because TDK was THAT good,it had very little to do with BB
Quote:
You think you'll see a big uptick for TASM2? No way. As of today I'd go no higher then 850 m. Not bad, but certainly not where the potential could be.
If TASM2 is as good as TDK,it will make 1.5B easy.But thats a low possibility
TASM made 750M million with huge CB Heavy weights like TA and TDKR on top of it.Compartively TASM's hype was minuscle

With Nolan's trilogy over and TA2 coming later in 2015,Spidey will have the hype to himself come 2014.The CBM movies releasing that year will be CapAm2 and DOFP I think,which are too easy a competition compared to TA and TDKR.DOFP doesnt come out more than 2 months after TASM2 and it probably will be the same for CapAm2
So its an easy Billion or atleast 900M in my opinion.Though its still early to judge

Quote:
TASM didn't really do anything to eliminate the skeptics for this new series. For all the fans it gained, it lost just as many who were underwhelmed by the film. I was a huge advocate of the reboot because I thought it would take the series to another level creatvely ( la Nolan). I was dead wrong. It was a mediocre film overall with a few great bright spots here and there. Namely the cast of Garfield, Stone, Sheen and Field.
Same can be said about MCU solo movies(Except IM1) and look at how TA turned out
The popularity of Spidey is still huge as ever,they just need to concentrate on making a good movie


Last edited by Spiderdevil; 12-15-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Spiderdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #270
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated
 
Picard Sisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17,948
Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderdevil View Post

Same can be said about MCU solo movie(Except IM1) and look at how TA turned out
The popularity of Spidey is still huge as ever,they just need to concentrate on making a new movie

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Parker
"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Avatar by SpideyK.
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:13 AM   #271
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick
 
Spiderdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,252
Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
Exactly. This is my point, if anyone deserves a truly great origin, it's Spider-Man. They screwed it up. I wanted (and expected) something great. A film that would grow in stature over the years. Coming on the heels of the films you mentioned, there is really no excuse for that. They saw where the bar was and they fell massively short . They didn't even attempt to reach it imo. No excuse.
I agree to it and the failure is not totally Webb's or Sony's fault and I will tell you why
Batman's origin was never done well in a movie before and Iron Man didnt arrive on the big screen before IM1.Nolan and Favereau had all the freedom in the world to do whatever they want with the character and they utilized it well
For TASM,it was very different.There has been already an excellent Spidey origin less than 10 years ago.Its a really difficult task to better it all the while trying to do not the same things.They must be thinking all the time 'That would be great scene but a similar one has been done in SM1,we cant repeat it'.The best creative options were already used by Raimi and there was very little remaining as far as the origin was concerned.The only thing they could have bettered were a better cast,Webshooter,Gwen Stacy as the first love interest and make him quip more and they did that.Every thing else was done perfectly well in SM1
A Batman or Iron man reboot will face a similar problem down the line


Last edited by Spiderdevil; 12-15-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Spiderdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #272
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated
 
Picard Sisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17,948
Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderdevil View Post
I agree to it and the failure is not totally Webb's or Sony's fault and I will tell you why
Batman's origin was never done well in a movie before and Iron Man didnt arrive on the big screen before IM1.Nolan and Favereau had all the freedom in the world to do whatever they want with the character and they utilized it well
For TASM,it was very different.There has been already and excellent Spidey origin less than 10 years ago.Its a really difficult task to better it all the while trying to do not the same things.They must be thinking all the time 'That would be great scene but a similar one has been done in SM1,we cant repeat it'.The best creative options were already used by Raimi and there was very little remaining as far as the origin was concerned
A Batman or Iron man reboot will face a similar problem down the line
Marc said that now that the origin is "overwith," he can move on and do his own thing. Looking forward to seeing what he has planned.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Parker
"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Avatar by SpideyK.
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:33 AM   #273
OcStat
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 925
Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

I find it hard to believe that anyone thinks the next film would not be an improvement. Even if you didn't like the film, there's nowhere to go but up!

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:38 AM   #274
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated
 
Picard Sisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17,948
Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcStat View Post
I find it hard to believe that anyone thinks the next film would not be an improvement. Even if you didn't like the film, there's nowhere to go but up!
Well, the script could be bad for all we know, and it could be a mess. But to say that the film has no chance is pretty darn stupid to be honest.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Parker
"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Avatar by SpideyK.
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:08 AM   #275
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold
 
SoNicRaDiATioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,610
Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderdevil View Post
No way to justify it,it was lazy writing at its best.
I'm not saying there weren't a few hiccups here and there in Nolan's trilogy. I've posted in the past about some of the poor hand to hand combat sequences in BB. A scene in TDK that has always bothered me was when Batman was on the Batpod and he blew a hole through some parked cars in order to clear a path for himself. A couple of those cars landed in close vicinity to some kids. That was pretty reckless, but blown off by the visual gag of them shooting at him with their fingers as he raced by. Things like this are few and far between though. Nolan's intent was to dissolve the comic frame and to immerse the audience in a more realistic world. That's the important thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderdevil View Post
Thats EXACTLY what TASM did.And thats why they were lack lustre despite bloating the budget
Almost everything was done in reality,the whole school fight,except the corridor scene was practically done and its not a surprise that the corridor scene was the best part of the school scene,both Lizards and Spidey's encounter with the NYPD was practically done,the subway fight also,the one in the sewers.Everything
I will not blame the lack of CGI for lackluster action sequences. The confrontation with the NYPD on the streets was a highlight for me. And I liked the school scenes for the most part. The weakest sequences for me were the bridge sequence and that Raimi-esque crane sequence.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderdevil View Post
Not with Spider-man,you cant
Maybe with Heroes like Batman or CapAm
Sure you can, not everything has to be operatic. It depends on how the scene is written and who Spidey is fighting. A fight with the Goblin would obviously entail different motion dynamics then a fight against the Lizard. I would definitely want some operatics at some point though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderdevil View Post
Using the fun tone isnt 'Typical' or 'common'
The Dark/Reality tone has been used several times aswell with Daredevil,Nolan's Trilogy,IM and TASM and MOS in recent times
The only films that have really gone beyond the comic sensibilities and truly resonated in any real kind of way are Nolans films and Singer's X-films. I'm sure there are others that I'm not thinking of at the moment though. TASM I thought would go there, but many of it's scenes I would call typically comic book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderdevil View Post
It was because TDK was THAT good,it had very little to do with BB
If Batman Begins were poor the TDK would have had much less anticipation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderdevil View Post
If TASM2 is as good as TDK,it will make 1.5B easy.But thats a low possibility
TASM made 750M million with huge CB Heavy weights like TA and TDKR on top of it.Compartively TASM's hype was minuscle
Sad that you think that, but it most likely true. This is not the team that will achieve those heights.

__________________
GuardiansoftheGalaxyTheAvengersX2WinterSoldierDaysofFuturePast

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 12-15-2012 at 02:46 AM.
SoNicRaDiATioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.