The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: What is your favorite comic book film of all time?
Spider-Man (2002) 13 12.26%
Spider-Man 2 26 24.53%
The Amazing Spider-Man 20 18.87%
The Dark Knight 49 46.23%
The Dark Knight Rises 24 22.64%
Marvel's The Avengers 36 33.96%
Iron Man 20 18.87%
Captain America: The First Avenger 7 6.60%
Thor 11 10.38%
Superman 10 9.43%
Superman II 6 5.66%
V For Vendetta 5 4.72%
Watchmen 3 2.83%
X2: X-Men United 17 16.04%
X-Men: First Class 11 10.38%
Other 15 14.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2012, 03:42 AM   #276
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderdevil View Post
Richard Parker did invent the formula,but he hid it well
On the other hand Peter completed it and gave it to Connors(something Richard knowingly avoided)
He was responsible for creating the Lizard
Where is the proof of Peter having completed the Decay Rate Algorithm?

Quote:
Adjusted for inflation it only beat Batman and Robin

Anyway,So I think making 500M WW odd and beating SR is a huge feat by your logic.Thats around what I expect it to make
I never go by inflation, so I wouldn't know, hence why I will say it did beat every Batman film of Burton's/Schumacher's series except for Batman '89.

Lol, "by my logic". Beating SR will be easy.

Quote:
Fair point
Yah, I make quite a lot of those.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:45 AM   #277
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
You really won't give this up will you?

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:46 AM   #278
Anno_Domini
Banned User

How dare I reply to someone's post

Old 12-15-2012, 03:47 AM   #279
Picard Sisko

Not my point.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 12-15-2012, 03:53 AM   #280
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Uhhu.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:19 AM   #281
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
I'm not saying there weren't a few hiccups here and there in Nolan's trilogy. I've posted in the past about some of the poor hand to hand combat sequences in BB. A scene in TDK that has always bothered me was when Batman was on the Batpod and he blew a hole through some parked cars in order to clear a path for himself. A couple of those cars landed in close vicinity to some kids. That was pretty reckless, but blown off by the visual gag of them shooting at him with their fingers as he raced by. Things like this are few and far between though. Nolan's intent was to dissolve the comic frame and to immerse the audience in a more realistic world. That's the important thing.
Things like this can happen in Nolan's movie,but if they happen in Raimi's or TASM,then everyone loses their minds

JK

Quote:
I will not blame the lack of CGI for lackluster action sequences. The confrontation with the NYPD on the streets was a highlight for me. And I liked the school scenes for the most part. The weakest sequences for me were the bridge sequence and that Raimi-esque crane sequence.
I will blame it on their reluctance to use CGI.
The crane scene wasnt a action scene but it was beautiful swinging

Quote:
Sure you can, not everything has to be operatic. It depends on how the scene is written and who Spidey is fighting. A fight with the Goblin would obviously entail different motion dynamics then a fight against the Lizard. I would definitely want some operatics at some point though.
A 140M budget Spidey movie means terrible CGI and they wont be able to afford practical stunts aswell.It will be half assed effort

Quote:
The only films that have really gone beyond the comic sensibilities and truly resonated in any real kind of way are Nolans films and Singer's X-films. I'm sure there are others that I'm not thinking of at the moment though. TASM I thought would go there, but many of it's scenes I would call typically comic book.
And what about the Man who made the concept of CBM famous in the modern era in the first place?
Nolan's movies are hardly comic book movies,they are crime thrillers or something.
I dont know what you mean 'go there' but Spidey should never have a dark theme.Maybe realistic but never dark.It was a terrible terrible idea to try it imo.Batman can have it because many of his comics and characters are actually dark
Spidey's been around for more than half a century with various different comic mediums,cartoons,games and ofcourse movies.And not a single one(Except TASM) used the dark theme and were all very successful.Thats how Spidey is supposed to be.A perfect mix of action,comedy and emotion.The dark theme should never be associated with him.
If Nolan made a Spidey movie,it'll be terrible,no doubt about it.
Its absolutely necessary to see the type of superhero you are working with and try to make a tone which suits him rather than going 'Hey audience love TDK trilogy so lets ape the tone'.I think Sony made a mistake at that
As for Singer's X-men movies,I hated Xmean and X2 because they had no character development and felt stale to me.I loved First class though but I would go as far as to say he did any thing revolutionary

If there is a movie which has set the bar for the perfect origin its IM1/SM1 and if there is a movie which has set the bar for a perfect sequel its TDK/SM2

Quote:
If Batman Begins were poor the TDK would have had much less anticipation.
Ledger's death,news of his great performance led to the anticipation
BB had very little to do with it

Last edited by Spiderdevil; 12-15-2012 at 04:27 AM.
Spiderdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:23 AM   #282
Picard Sisko

I didn't find TASM dark at all (unless you literally look at how many scenes take place at night). Maybe in comparison to the Raimi trilogy it was, but it was still pretty light IMO.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:23 AM   #283
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think he did
Anyway that wasnt my point,He gave it to Dr Connors despite his father having hidden it away,he was indirectly responsible.His guilt is totally understandable

Quote:
I never go by inflation, so I wouldn't know, hence why I will say it did beat every Batman film of Burton's/Schumacher's series except for Batman '89.
That is completely flawed,especially when the difference is more than 5 years
It only beat B&R
And I am not even taking into consideration the increase in ticket prices,markets in the foreign territory etc
Quote:
Lol, "by my logic". Beating SR will be easy.
By your logic it will be great achievement aswell

Last edited by Spiderdevil; 12-15-2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:24 AM   #284
Picard Sisko

lol

Old 12-15-2012, 04:56 AM   #285
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Quote:

Nolan's movies are hardly comic book movies,they are crime thrillers or something.
I dont know what you mean 'go there' but Spidey should never have a dark theme. Maybe realistic but never dark.It was a terrible terrible idea to try it imo.Batman can have it because many of his comics and characters are actually dark
Spidey's been around for more than half a century with various different comic mediums,cartoons,games and ofcourse movies.And not a single one(Except TASM) used the dark theme and were all very successful.
Realistic is the word. It gets mixed up with dark all the time by people. And what exactly was so dark about TASM? The answer is nothing. If that's dark to you then I hope your demographic is never served again because we'd get nothing but bubble gum. They just cut out a lot of the Raimi melodrama from the bygone era (thankfully). They went for more realism but puss*** out and didn't take it all the way, instead adding stupid gags like dunking the basketball, bending the goal posts and that horrible crane sequence with the constuction workers that would make Sam proud. We don't need that ever again in my lifetime. It's just dated and lame garbage. Give me something that feels like the 21st century, quit referencing things that are forty years old. I could care less in what tone something was written in half a century ago. Neither do Singer and Nolan. Peter discovering Connors hideout by seeing lizards go down a drain....The Lizard's silly villian monologue in the sewers. That's what I meant when I said they didn't "go there" There not being the place of tired recycled genre conventions.

I'm also tired of people saying Spidey shouldn't be this or that 'cause the comics say so. Ever read a Batman comic from the fifties or sixties? You see Nolan's films in that? Things evolve, which is why I was happy they were taking a page from ultimate on TASM. I want DRAMA, humor and action that isn't delivered in a cartoony way, is that too much to ask? Sony? anyone?

Quote:
It didnt have that great an anticipation
Oh really.

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 12-15-2012 at 05:06 PM.
SoNicRaDiATioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:57 AM   #286
Picard Sisko

I remember the "good ol' days" when Batman was always smiling on his covers. lol

Old 12-15-2012, 05:19 AM   #287
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

I want a Batman film where he and Robin save Babonga the sea monster.

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 12-15-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #288
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Quote:
Realistic is the word. It gets mixed up with dark all the time by people. And what exactly was so dark about TASM? The answer is nothing. If that's dark to you then I hope your demographic is never served again because we'd get nothing but bubble gum. They just cut out a lot of the Raimi melodrama from the bygone era (thankfully). They went for more realism but puss*** out and didn't take it all the way, instead adding stupid gags like dunking the basketball, bending the goalposts and that horrible crane sequence with the constuction workers that would make Sam proud. We don't need that ever again in my lifetime. It's just dated and lame garbage. Give me something that feels like the 21st century, quit referencing things that are forty years old. I could care less in what tone something was written in half a century ago. Neither do Singer and Nolan. Peter discovering Connors hideout by seeing lizards go down a drain....The Lizard's silly villian monologue in the sewers. That's what I meant when I said they didn't "go there" There not being the place of tired recycled genre conventions.
Its not forty years ago,its every time a new adaptation about Spidey is made,The Spectacular Spider-man cartoon for example,it came out just 3 years ago,it had the fun tone Spidey deserves and its the best Spidey adaptation to date
And needless to say,there is nothing realistic about a superhero who gets his powers from a spider bite and whose biggest enemy is ooze from outer space
As for you nitpicking so much on the movie,I can come up with twice as much from BB or TDKR but it doesnt matter,its all justified when Nolan does it and he goes 'up there'

Quote:
I'm also tired of people saying Spidey shouldn't be this or that 'cause the comics say so. Ever read a Batman comic from the fifties or sixties? You see Nolan's films in that? Things evolve, which is why I was happy they were taking a page from ultimate on TASM. I want DRAMA, humor and action that isn't delivered in a cartoony way, is that too much to ask? Sony? anyone?
And Nolan delivers humour in a non-cartoony way? Nice to know

Old 12-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #289
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
I think he did
Anyway that wasnt my point,He gave it to Dr Connors despite his father having hidden it away,he was indirectly responsible.His guilt is totally understandable
Well, you know, I think he was just reading Connors' book to actually understand what the equation meant and to remember it since he lied to Connors about knowing the equation himself and having created it himself.

And, I never said his guilt isn't understandable. But it's common for fanboys to put words in my mouth if they just don't agree with anything I say. Only said the dialogue of 'I created him' doesn't make any sense. 'I helped created him' is more fitting and more appropriate.

Quote:
That is completely flawed,especially when the difference is more than 5 years
It only beat B&R
And I am not even taking into consideration the increase in ticket prices,markets in the foreign territory etc
How is it completely flawed just by looking at the amounts first hand without getting into inflation or what not? Do you think anyone besides the studios themselves actually take inflation in account?

Quote:
By your logic it will be great achievement aswell
Beating the previous film financially with the same character isn't an accomplishment then? The film that you seem to think ruined the image of Superman overseas. Beating that film and gaining a crowd isn't an accomplishment? By all means then, what would be an accomplishment for Man of Steel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
lol
So glad you've gone into troll status as of late.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #290
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Quote:
And, I never said his guilt isn't understandable. But it's common for fanboys to put words in my mouth if they just don't agree with anything I say. Only said the dialogue of 'I created him' doesn't make any sense. 'I helped created him' is more fitting and more appropriate.
Seriously you have no idea how dialogues should be written.You take things too literally
'I have to stop him because I helped to create him'
'I have to stop him because I created him'
Which one sounds better and cooler?

Quote:
How is it completely flawed just by looking at the amounts first hand without getting into inflation or what not? Do you think anyone besides the studios themselves actually take inflation in account?
Everyone here does,especially when the difference in duration is so much
Point is,you are making it seem like its a huge achievement by factoring out a crucial factor like inflation

Quote:
Beating the previous film financially with the same character isn't an accomplishment then? The film that you seem to think ruined the image of Superman overseas. Beating that film and gaining a crowd isn't an accomplishment? By all means then, what would be an accomplishment for Man of Steel?
So you finally get the point
Doing as well as BB means beating SR and earning near 500M not 800M+

Old 12-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #291
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

Quote:
I didn't find TASM dark at all (unless you literally look at how many scenes take place at night). Maybe in comparison to the Raimi trilogy it was, but it was still pretty light IMO.
I don't think any of those "DARK" superhero movies are really dark

~*SHH SIX*~
member 14: Supa-Pizza
H.E
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #292
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Seriously you have no idea how dialogues should be written.You take things too literally
'I have to stop him because I helped to create him'
'I have to stop him because I created him'
Which one sounds better and cooler?

You seriously have no idea how dialogue should be written if you think it has to sound 'cool'.

And the bold sounds better btw

Although, it should be "I have to stop him because I helped create him."

Quote:
Everyone here does,especially when the difference in duration is so much
Point is,you are making it seem like its a huge achievement by factoring out a crucial factor like inflation
Everyone here does? I have only known you to bring up inflation.

Quote:
So you finally get the point
Doing as well as BB means beating SR and earning near 500M not 800M+
The point?

The point is that beating SR will be an accomplishment; I only hope it reaches 800M.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #293
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Quote:
And needless to say,there is nothing realistic about a superhero who gets his powers from a spider bite and whose biggest enemy is ooze from outer space
You obviously missed my points completely, or choose not to see them so you can continue in this dialogue. I'll say this for the record: No superhero film is realistic. It's all fantasy. But I want them to make that fantasy feel as real as possible. The more campy and artificial something is, the less immersive the film experience. We're not talking about a Saturday morning cartoon here. It's really not that complicated.

And since when is fun and realism mutually exclusive? Perhaps if you substituted the word fun with entertaining you could grasp the concept better. I definitely want an entertaining (fun) Spider-Man film.

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 12-15-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #294
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
I don't think any of those "DARK" superhero movies are really dark
Very true.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #295
Web face
Side-Kick

Quote:
Although, it should be "I have to stop him because I helped create him."
I think they could have gone with, "I helped create him, so I have to help stop him."
It shows that Peter has learned that its about helping, not about getting revenge or something like that.

Web face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #296
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Realistic is the word. It gets mixed up with dark all the time by people. And what exactly was so dark about TASM? The answer is nothing. If that's dark to you then I hope your demographic is never served again because we'd get nothing but bubble gum. They just cut out a lot of the Raimi melodrama from the bygone era (thankfully). They went for more realism but puss*** out and didn't take it all the way, instead adding stupid gags like dunking the basketball, bending the goal posts and that horrible crane sequence with the constuction workers that would make Sam proud. We don't need that ever again in my lifetime. It's just dated and lame garbage. Give me something that feels like the 21st century, quit referencing things that are forty years old. I could care less in what tone something was written in half a century ago. Neither do Singer and Nolan. Peter discovering Connors hideout by seeing lizards go down a drain....The Lizard's silly villian monologue in the sewers. That's what I meant when I said they didn't "go there" There not being the place of tired recycled genre conventions.

Oh really.
I see where you're coming from, but "Ultimate" is very light, fluffy and self-referential/meta. The new movie just apes the tone of Nolan and it falls flat. Drama is great, but the character throughout his 50 years has shown he works better with a lighter touch that mixes the dark. It can be more serious than what came before, but not dark.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #297
Picard Sisko

Quote:

So by posting "lol" I'm a troll?

Old 12-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #298
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Quote:
So by posting "lol" I'm a troll?
Apparently. For someone who jabs and prods at other forum members as much as he does, that was a pretty sensitive overreaction.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #299
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Let's see if I got this right....

You make a post where you say - LOL

Spiderdevil quotes it and comments on it.

Picard Sisko posts LOL in response.

And you now call him a troll for saying LOL in response to someone commenting on your post of LOL.

Perhaps you should give up the troll labeling and just try and post civilly from now on.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #300
Picard Sisko

I guess the new definition of troll is someone who expresses their laughter.