The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: What is your favorite comic book film of all time?
Spider-Man (2002) 13 12.26%
Spider-Man 2 26 24.53%
The Amazing Spider-Man 20 18.87%
The Dark Knight 49 46.23%
The Dark Knight Rises 24 22.64%
Marvel's The Avengers 36 33.96%
Iron Man 20 18.87%
Captain America: The First Avenger 7 6.60%
Thor 11 10.38%
Superman 10 9.43%
Superman II 6 5.66%
V For Vendetta 5 4.72%
Watchmen 3 2.83%
X2: X-Men United 17 16.04%
X-Men: First Class 11 10.38%
Other 15 14.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #126
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderdevil View Post
I dont think Nolan's Batman has accurate adaptations either.Batman isnt a martial artist or master detective or a versatile genius like he supposed to be.Rachel Dawes is a completely made up character.Dent has a changed storyline.But I still think TDK was perfect

You are giving too much thought into this 'accurate adaptations thingy' SM1 and SM2 were actually excellent movies
Quote:
I dont think Nolan's Batman has accurate adaptations either.Batman isnt a martial artist or master detective or a versatile genius like he supposed to be.Rachel Dawes is a completely made up character.Dent has a changed storyline.But I still think TDK was perfect

You are giving too much thought into this 'accurate adaptations thingy' SM1 and SM2 were actually excellent movies
He is a martial artist and a detective and a versatile genius like he is supposed to be. He is just not there on the same level as the well known mainstream Batman of the comics in terms of those skills. It makes sense too. BB and TDK were all about Batman in his very early career. BB takes place in Bruce's first year as Batman while TDK takes place in Bruce's second year as Batman and level of the skills he portrays in those films match the same level of the skills he portrays in his first and second year in the comics, specifically his skills in Year One and Long Halloween (BB's Batman is based on Year One's Batman and TDK's Batman is based on Long Halloween's Batman). The realism of those books is very similar to the realism of the Nolan films as well. Heck, Year One was even more realistic than any of the Nolan films. So it's really not a problem with me because BB and TDK are adaptations of a young not-fully-experienced Batman and they match the young not-fully experienced Batman of the early comics (early timeline-wise (not publication-wise) and once again, specifically the Batman from YO and TLH).

There is no problem with Rachel. Unlike Spider-Man and Superman, Batman doesn't have a consistent love interest. Every writer on Batman when they start writing him have the room to use any love interest from the past they want as minor as she may be and a lot of them even create a new love interest for him altogether (such as Nolan). So it's fine that he created a character. It works for Batman in any medium. It's not the same thing as creating a new love interest for Spider-Man or Superman when adapting them because they already have consistent ongoing love interests.

Harvey's origin isn't an issue. The important thing when doing an adaptation is to get the basic and iconic aspects right. The only thing you need to stay true to when adapting to Two-Face is that he was originally a great district attorney who then got in a situation that got half of his face severely burned and then was corrupted/broken and turned into a villain. Those are really the only important aspects of Two-Face's origin.

I don't think I'm giving too much thought. Although you can definitely make a good Spider-Man movie that's not true to the comics, it would be such a huge waste of potential. That is exactly what Raimi's films were. SM1 and SM2 are alright movies IMO (not great; just alright) but they could've been so much better in general if they portrayed Spider-Man better. I mean, whether you liked TASM as much as the Raimi films or not, I think most of us can agree that the new franchise has far more potential than the old one because it set up everything better and portrayed the characters right from the start.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #127
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Quote:
Agree,the action wasnt good enough
But it was still better than that in CapAm or Thor or any of the Dark Knight trilogy.It just felt stale in comparison to Raimi's trilogy
But that was expected since Webb's a rookie, hopefully he will learn down the line
Yeah, it was easily better then Cap or Thor imo, but who cares? Nolan's trilogy is a different animal. His action scenes were generally more stripped down and grounded, less fantastical. I was hoping we'd get more of that in TASM. A little less fantastical (CGI-fest) and more up close and personal, brutal fight sequences. I realise you need CGI and spectacle, but based on the pre-production comments, I didn't think they'd use it so liberally. Honestly, if Sony came out tomorrow and said the next Spider-Man film has a budget of 140 m, I'd be VERY HAPPY. That would mean the filmmakers would have to strip down the action (not so much the amount of action) and be forced to be more inventive, more elemental. CGI just makes people lazy and is often a cop-out.

I loved the Raimi action pieces and think the train sequence in SM2 has yet to be topped in any film. But we've been down that road and need something that feels different and new for this franchise.

Quote:
I see it this way,Bryan Singer is a much better director and needless to say,SR had better potential,yet it was such a colossal failure
The character is toxic,its difficult to get the best of him
The SR concept was flawed in trying to build on 30 year old films. This Nolan & Snyder led film is something different entirely. It's riding the wave of a huge trilogy and aligning Superman more into the modern world. The positive reaction to the project and to the recent trailer(s) is something I never thought I'd see from a Superman film again. This is a reboot that most everyone wants to see.

Quote:
I say that Webb just has to put his mind into making a good movie,it will earn money regardless,probably more than IM3
It's not so much Webb I'm concerned with, but the situation he's in. In saying that, Webb is definitely unproven at this point. Films like (500) Days and a paint by numbers reboot don't exactly inspire the greatest confidence for a big budget sequel. He definitely has talent and is really good with actors, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Quote:
Every comic book movie has scenes like that,TA was loaded with ridiculous scenes
Even Nolan's trilogy has them here and there
The difference is in the Batman films it was usually a line of dialogue here or there, but in the Avengers (or Raimi's fims) actual sequences or scenes were built on it.

Quote:
No disrespect to them,but I dont think BB did anything dramatic either
If you see the difference between BB's box office and TDK's box office, it was dramatic. The people who missed the boat for BB in the theaters caught up with DVD and rentals. It definitely built up it's audience for the sequel. The Joker had something to do with it, but the overall quality of the films are what carried the day.

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 12-12-2012 at 03:10 PM.
SoNicRaDiATioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #128
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

I think that Webb broke the ice with TASM, and hopefully he'll be able to make bigger and better action sequences with the sequel. Excited to see what he does!

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #129
Lorus
Side-Kick

I really wish people would define 'cheese' in a way that better encapsulates why it's a problem rather than just use it as a sweeping criticism and leave it at that. It seems a lazy criticism otherwise, not as bad as saying something has or lacks 'heart' but it's still up there.

I still think TASM is pretty poorly put together and inferior to Raimi's Spider-Man despite the dreaded cheese.

Lorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #130
Picard Sisko

Sam Raimi always had that "cheesey" style, so those movies weren't "corny" due to bad writing. TASM is inferior IMO, but I love it.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 12-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #131
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorus View Post
I really wish people would define 'cheese' in a way that better encapsulates why it's a problem rather than just use it as a sweeping criticism and leave it at that. It seems a lazy criticism otherwise, not as bad as saying something has or lacks 'heart' but it's still up there.

I still think TASM is pretty poorly put together and inferior to Raimi's Spider-Man despite the dreaded cheese.
I'll do my best.

Raimi's films have a lot going for them. They are more upbeat and some would argue fun than Webb's ASM. But the cheese creeps into almost every scene. It must be part of Raimi's directing style and his sense of humor.

For me, it's the side characters and extras who overact (and act badly at that) and the dramatized high school experience. It's the over the top Green Goblin lines and lack of realistic motivation despite them trying to make him a semi-realistic character (powersuit, hi-tech glider, etc.). It's the two-dimensional Spider-Man character. Those two dimensions being 1. mute and 2. extremely serious.

It's the very UNtimely wrestling match and the Macy Gray concert. Its the silly New Yorker pride moments (not that ASM didnt have its fair share). The American flags all over the place. And, imo even Aunt May's "Theres a hero in all of us" speech. I suppose in the end, it's the things that no one would ever say or do in real life that I consider cheese. Cuz every single one makes me relate less with the main character and pulls me out of the experience.

It's the "raindrops keep falling on my head" montage and the back and forth relationship with MJ. Its Peter loving MJ despite her character being unlovable. Its any moment you feel like rolling your eyes. And if you deny there are any, youre a LIAR! And that's all without touching SM3.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #132
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
The popularity of the franchise never really went down too much,it was always managable.Unlike Batman in 2005 and Superman now
And look what Batman Begins did...so one can see what will happen with Man of Steel.

Seriously, you're running in circles and making no sense on why Man of Steel wouldn't do great at the box office.

Quote:
You said 800M,thats expecting too much
Not at all. Seeing as how people having been waiting for a Superman film for a while now, I don't see it as expecting too much at all.

Quote:
I have given reasons on why that is difficult
It may make truckloads domestically if it is really good,but to make that much it needs money from overseas and Superman isnt half as famous overseas as Batman or Superman or the MCU
One of those must be Bizarro you're talking about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
I think that Webb broke the ice with TASM, and hopefully he'll be able to make bigger and better action sequences with the sequel. Excited to see what he does!
He only broke the ice when giving Peter Parker/Spider-Man great development, imo. He has yet to prove he can have a great villain.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #133
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
I am more surprised that 9 people think ASM is the best comic book movie ever made in the history of comic book movies.
13 now

Old 12-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #134
Web face
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
13 now
Its even more surprising that people think TDKR is a step UP from TDK I keed I keed. I'm not one of the people who think TASM is the best CBM ever, I just have no problem with people who think that.

Web face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #135
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web face View Post
Its even more surprising that people think TDKR is a step UP from TDK I keed I keed. I'm not one of the people who think TASM is the best CBM ever, I just have no problem with people who think that.
Lol, it's fine if you weren't kidding though.

I just feel the same way as chaseter, which is not a crime, lol.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #136
Web face
Side-Kick

Quote:
Lol, it's fine if you weren't kidding though.

I just feel the same way as chaseter, which is not a crime, lol.
haha I never said it was. I thought you were just poking fun at us TASM fans, so I thought I would joke right back.

Web face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #137
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
He is a martial artist and a detective and a versatile genius like he is supposed to be. He is just not there on the same level as the well known mainstream Batman of the comics in terms of those skills. It makes sense too. BB and TDK were all about Batman in his very early career. BB takes place in Bruce's first year as Batman while TDK takes place in Bruce's second year as Batman and level of the skills he portrays in those films match the same level of the skills he portrays in his first and second year in the comics, specifically his skills in Year One and Long Halloween (BB's Batman is based on Year One's Batman and TDK's Batman is based on Long Halloween's Batman). The realism of those books is very similar to the realism of the Nolan films as well. Heck, Year One was even more realistic than any of the Nolan films. So it's really not a problem with me because BB and TDK are adaptations of a young not-fully-experienced Batman and they match the young not-fully experienced Batman of the early comics (early timeline-wise (not publication-wise) and once again, specifically the Batman from YO and TLH).

There is no problem with Rachel. Unlike Spider-Man and Superman, Batman doesn't have a consistent love interest. Every writer on Batman when they start writing him have the room to use any love interest from the past they want as minor as she may be and a lot of them even create a new love interest for him altogether (such as Nolan). So it's fine that he created a character. It works for Batman in any medium. It's not the same thing as creating a new love interest for Spider-Man or Superman when adapting them because they already have consistent ongoing love interests.

Harvey's origin isn't an issue. The important thing when doing an adaptation is to get the basic and iconic aspects right. The only thing you need to stay true to when adapting to Two-Face is that he was originally a great district attorney who then got in a situation that got half of his face severely burned and then was corrupted/broken and turned into a villain. Those are really the only important aspects of Two-Face's origin.

I don't think I'm giving too much thought. Although you can definitely make a good Spider-Man movie that's not true to the comics, it would be such a huge waste of potential. That is exactly what Raimi's films were. SM1 and SM2 are alright movies IMO (not great; just alright) but they could've been so much better in general if they portrayed Spider-Man better. I mean, whether you liked TASM as much as the Raimi films or not, I think most of us can agree that the new franchise has far more potential than the old one because it set up everything better and portrayed the characters right from the start.

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #138
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #139
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:

lol jk. just thought it was a funny picture

Old 12-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #140
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:

While we majorly disagree with TDKR, I must say...

bravo with all of this.

Just...bravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web face View Post
haha I never said it was. I thought you were just poking fun at us TASM fans, so I thought I would joke right back.
Lol, no, not poking fun at all which is intended. Just amused TAS-M can be thought of as the best CBM of all time, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Goodness. All three of these are hilarious, but the last one...lol.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #141
Picard Sisko

Quote:

He only broke the ice when giving Peter Parker/Spider-Man great development, imo. He has yet to prove he can have a great villain.
Its also his first comic book movie, so I think he did a decent job considering the circumstances. He did break the ice, and I think now he can really show us what he can do with the next movie.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #142
Picard Sisko

Quote:

Lol, no, not poking fun at all which is intended. Just amused TAS-M can be thought of as the best CBM of all time, lol.

There is nothing amusing about it.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #143
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Its also his first comic book movie, so I think he did a decent job considering the circumstances. He did break the ice, and I think now he can really show us what he can do with the next movie.
No excuse. Bryan Singer was able to develop Magneto magnificently on his first CBM.

Quote:
There is nothing amusing about it.
*Bane's voice*: ..for you.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #144
Picard Sisko

Quote:
No excuse. Bryan Singer was able to develop Magneto magnificently on his first CBM.
Fine, it was his second movie of all time. Bryan Singer made four movies prior to X-Men. With Magneto, there really wasn't much character development. He was a mutant who wanted to turn everyone into mutants, and clearly had some history with Charles. His character wasn't developed until X2.

TASM was more complicated... he had to show us Dr. Connors and his transformation into the Lizard. Also, other Wolverine, Rogue, Jean Grey or Professor X, there were so many characters that were just there, and had absolutely no development at all. Also, Marc did a better job with the action than Singer. Of course, there have been many advances in technology, but a lot of it felt staged in X1. Like when they are saving Rogue from the burning van, rewatch that scene. Cyclops and Storm are so stiff.

Overall, I think TASM is a much better film than X-Men, and Marc Webb did a better job as a beginner.

Last edited by Picard Sisko; 12-12-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #145
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Fine, it was his second movie of all time. Bryan Singer made four movies prior to X-Men. With Magneto, there really wasn't much character development. He was a mutant who wanted to turn everyone into mutants, and clearly had some history with Charles. His character wasn't developed until X2.

TASM was more complicated... he had to show us Dr. Connors and his transformation into the Lizard. Also, other Wolverine, Rogue, Jean Grey or Professor X, there were so many characters that were just there, and had absolutely no development at all. Also, Marc did a better job with the action than Singer. Of course, there have been many advances in technology, but a lot of it felt staged in X1. Like when they are saving Rogue from the burning van, rewatch that scene. Cyclops and Storm are so stiff.

Overall, I think TASM is a much better film than X-Men, and Marc Webb did a better job as a beginner.
haha holy crap. Magnetos plan in X-Men was the same as Lizards plan in ASM.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #146
DACrowe
Side-Kick

A spirited defense of Nolan. Woo. For once we agree (though I think Harvey's relationship with Batman and Gordon is crucial to making him an admirable and sympathetic character and is a major thing that separates him from Schumacher's take, but I digresss....)

For those who say TASM has way more potential than Raimi did after SM1....all I can say is, does it have that much?

The biggest potential it has that Raimi's series could never have no matter how good or awful SM3 was, is the "Death of Gwen Stacy" story line. It is an amazing one and it looks like right now that they're saving it for TASM3. With that wrinkle it also allows them to do the Peter-Gwen-MJ love triangle proper (something we all can guess will be in TASM2).

However, once they off Gwen, where do you go next? To kill Gwen is to revisit the Green Goblin at the Bridge or to take a huge departure from the comics. If they're introducing Harry Osborn, from there the natural story progression is for Harry to become obsessed with avenging his father's death by killing Spider-Man which leads to...Harry becoming the Green Goblin or some familiar villain thereof. And while there are a few great villains that have not yet been adapted--say Kraven and his "Last Hunt" which is not special effects/CGI/spectacle-friendly enough for Sony--most of the rest are of a lesser caliber than Green Goblin, Doc Ock and Lizard. But one they will probably want a "do over" on is...Venom.

All of a sudden, TASM series is taking the same trajectory of the Raimi series. They're never going to get as far as something as the marriage when they start in high school and now that Harry is being introduced, the inevitable is being set into motion. Once Green Goblin is introduced, it kind of takes on a life of its own in that way. I think the most interesting thing left that I am looking forward to in TASM2 is Peter/MJ/Gwen being done right. The rest may become awfully familiar.

--John Adams

Last edited by DACrowe; 12-12-2012 at 09:36 PM.
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #147
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
A spirited defense of Nolan. Woo. For once we agree (though I think Harvey's relationship with Batman and Gordon is crucial to making him an admirable and sympathetic character and is a major thing that separates him from Schumacher's take, but I digresss....)

For those who say TASM has way more potential than Raimi did after SM1....all I can say is, does it have that much?

The biggest potential it has that Raimi's series could never have no matter how good or awful SM3 was, is the "Death of Gwen Stacy" story line. It is an amazing one and it looks like right now that they're saving it for TASM3. With that wrinkle it also allows them to do the Peter-Gwen-MJ love triangle proper (something we all can guess will be in TASM2).

However, once they off Gwen, where do you go next? To kill Gwen is to revisit the Green Goblin at the Bridge or to take a huge departure from the comics. If they're introducing Harry Osborn, from there the natural story progression is for Harry to become obsessed with avenging his father's death by killing Spider-Man which leads to...Harry becoming the Green Goblin or some familiar villain thereof. And while there are a few great villains that have not yet been adapted--say Kraven and his "Last Hunt" which is not special effects/CGI/spectacle-friendly enough for Sony--most of the rest are of a lesser caliber than Green Goblin, Doc Ock and Lizard. But one they will probably want a "do over" on is...Venom.

All of a sudden, TASM series is taking the same trajectory of the Raimi series. They're never going to get as far as something as the marriage when they start in high school and now that Harry is being introduced, the inevitable is being set into motion. Once Green Goblin is introduced, it kind of takes on a life of its own in that way. I think the most interesting thing left that I am looking forward to in TASM2 is Peter/MJ/Gwen being done right. The rest may become awfully familiar.
Really? I think this franchise has so much more potential than the Raimi films. More than just the Death of Gwen Stacey. Sure, we will revisit the Green Goblin again, but I highly doubt it will be that similar to SM1.

There are so many stories that haven't been explored in the Raimi films that need to be put on screen. While I know we won't see a marriage in this trilogy, I'm sure it will happen eventually in further films. The reason why I say TASM has more potential than SM1 is because it really setup future films very well, while the other just concluded on its own, and no sequel would have been necessary.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #148
Picard Sisko

Quote:
haha holy crap. Magnetos plan in X-Men was the same as Lizards plan in ASM.

I think the only reason why Magneto was "cooler" is because of Ian Mckellen's performance.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #149
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
I think the only reason why Magneto was "cooler" is because of Ian Mckellen's performance.
I'll agree with that. But the rest of the movie is far less good than ASM. In fact. I don't like X-Men all that much. At least in cinema, they make great cartoons though. So that has a lot to do with it.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #150
Picard Sisko

Quote:
I'll agree with that. But the rest of the movie is far less good than ASM. In fact. I don't like X-Men all that much. At least in cinema, they make great cartoons though. So that has a lot to do with it.
I still really like the first X-Men movie, but just overall it wasn't anything that exciting. TASM was a reboot that was "too soon," and I thought that was more enjoying than seeing X-Men for the first time 12 years ago. Just my opinion. X2 is great though. I love the X-Men cartoon. My favorite comic book tv series, followed by Spider-Man (1994) and then the Batman animated one.