The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 07-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #351
mclay18
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Meh. If they're going to call it "ultimate", BB and TDK should have received a new transfer.
I thought the transfer for BB was fine. TDK, on the other hand, talk about dropping the ball!

Both the DVD and Blu-ray transfers looked hideous.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #352
Figs
Banned User

Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
I thought the transfer for BB was fine. TDK, on the other hand, talk about dropping the ball!

Both the DVD and Blu-ray transfers looked hideous.
???

What were the exact problems with TDK? I know it should have been a lot better, but calling it hideous is a bit much.

All I know is that BB has some terrible edge enhancement and is basically a straight copy of the HD version.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #353
shauner111
Side-Kick

Never before seen footage could mean extended/deleted scenes you know...

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #354
JackWhite
Third Man

Not bad. It just sucks knowing they are holding out on us. I can't wait to see the interview with both Nolan and Donner. I already know all the directors will gush over TDK and BB, but I really wonder what will be said of TDKR legacy/impact.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #355
shauner111
Side-Kick

Im happy about this. I wasn't going to buy it but it seems like there's great bonus footage and conversations, documentaries, books. I mean that's what I wanted. I never expected a "director's cut" or "audio commentary" with Nolan or Goyer. But I expected deleted scenes so maybe that's what we're getting with the bonus footage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
Not bad. It just sucks knowing they are holding out on us. I can't wait to see the interview with both Nolan and Donner. I already know all the directors will gush over TDK and BB, but I really wonder what will be said of TDKR legacy/impact.
Well even though fans here have problems with the story, TDKR is still in my opinion the best film when it comes to the direction of a lot of scenes, cinematography, the epic scope of how it was shot in Imax, etc. Even if one doesn't enjoy the editing or story elements I still feel like it's emotionally rich for Bruce. I cant imagine directors not talking about the technical elements of Rises and only speaking of the first two. That just wouldn't feel right to me coming from actual filmmakers because on a technical level it's shot on a WHOLE different level than the other two.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #356
BatMatt
Side-Kick

Well that's more like it. Anxiously await the preorder link on Amazon

Old 07-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #357
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
???

What were the exact problems with TDK? I know it should have been a lot better, but calling it hideous is a bit much.
There were a number of problems.

• Edge enhancement to make the image look sharper than it should.
  • Overheated contrast, which gave the image an unnatural appearance relative to what we saw in theaters. The Blu-ray looks more like a Michael Bay movie than a Nolan/Pfister movie.
  • Very different color timing from the theatrical version. Heck, even the 6 minute prologue on the Batman Begins Blu-ray had more accurate color timing than the TDK Blu-ray release.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #358
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

BatLobsterRises, I totally called the pricetag

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #359
TauHeel05
Side-Kick

Someone with the ability needs to contact WB to determine if these will be new transfers? Where are all the "insiders?"

TauHeel05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #360
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
There were a number of problems.

• Edge enhancement to make the image look sharper than it should.
  • Overheated contrast, which gave the image an unnatural appearance relative to what we saw in theaters. The Blu-ray looks more like a Michael Bay movie than a Nolan/Pfister movie.
  • Very different color timing from the theatrical version. Heck, even the 6 minute prologue on the Batman Begins Blu-ray had more accurate color timing than the TDK Blu-ray release.
Didn't really know about the color timing. Is it really that much different than the theatrical version? I never noticed because, to be honest, you really have to side by side those to notice. Unless you saw the movie that many times in the theater and can remember what it looked like.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #361
kvz5
HBIC

Come to think of it, I don't think I even finished watching the extras from the TDKR Bluray set...

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #362
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Didn't really know about the color timing. Is it really that much different than the theatrical version? I never noticed because, to be honest, you really have to side by side those to notice. Unless you saw the movie that many times in the theater and can remember what it looked like.
Yeah its pretty bad:

Quote:
Preservation and restoration expert Torsten Kaiser had this to say in a 2011 Blu-ray.com interview: "By far the biggest error its producers committed was the complete change of the film's original color timing. The Dark Knight was not copied with an optical printer. The original material Ė I held it in my hands Ė it was gorgeous. It was absolutely gorgeous. It wasÖ I fell flat off my chair. The colors are so different compared to those that appear in the Blu-ray transfer. I've seen the Blu-ray once, and I've never looked at it again."
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Da.../21212/#Review

H.E.
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #363
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
I saw the film four times in theaters, but I saw the Prologue 5 times in theaters because of the I Am Legend showing. I saw the Prologue twice in IMAX and it was absolutely gorgeous. I got the Batman Begins Blu-ray and it seemed to line up pretty well with the colors I remembered seeing for the Prologue in the IMAX theater. Then I got the TDK Blu-ray and noticed an immediate difference. Here is a good shot that shows the color timing difference:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Last edited by redfirebird2008; 07-02-2013 at 10:27 PM.
redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #364
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Never before seen footage could mean extended/deleted scenes you know...
Not sure what to make of this. It said FULL of never before seen footage. To me I interpret that as ''lots' so if there is lots why not have the option to watch the three films with it included? I hope it its decent length footage that they actually show them rather than have people talk over them.

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.

Deserana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #365
kguillou
Side-Kick

When they say "never before seen footage" I think all its really gonna be is unfinished test footage sort of like in the TDKR blu ray how they showed an alternate angle to the heath ledger joker hospital scene in TDK. I have a feeling its nothing too amazing.

kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #366
JackWhite
Third Man

WB should just give us a proper transfer for TDK. I don't want to wait until some 10th anniversary nonsense.

Still, it's nice to know that, we as fans of the trilogy, have one last big release to anticipate for our "Bat-era". Live it up ladies and gentlemen. Live it up.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #367
Brother Jack
Confirmed Casual

I'm excited for this. It's hard to be disappointed when a lot of the stuff that was requested, like director commentary and deleted scenes, were hardly ever a real possibility. My only disappointment is the lack of new transfers.

Brother Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #368
Solidus
The Force Awakens

WB never announced until it was released/close to it that Lethal Weapon 1-4's new box set was getting a complete remaster. And someone on Blu-Ray.com said WB has done it before so there is still hope.

I will buy this regardless, I like collector stuff like this. So my fingers are crossed for a better transfer.

"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #369
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
The Fire Rises: The Creation and Impact of The Dark Knight Trilogy - The inside perspective on the fascinating story behind the creation of one of the most celebrated franchises and how it changed the scope of movie making... forever. Full of never-before-seen footage, rare moments, and exclusive interviews with Guillermo Del Toro, Damon Lindelof, Michael Mann, Richard Roeper, Zack Snyder and others.

Christopher Nolan & Richard Donner: A Conversation - For the first time, Directors Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight Trilogy) and Richard Donner (Superman) sit down to discuss the trials and triumphs involved in bringing the two most iconic superheroes of all time to the big screen, and how Superman influenced Nolan when developing Batman Begins.
Wow, screw everything that I asked for on what I would like to see in the ultimate boxset...these two sounds so amazing!

The influences and impact(as well as hearing what directors and writers have to say about TDKR) and the Nolan/Donner conversation...god I hope both of these features are super long so I can just relax and enjoy both of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserana View Post
Wonder why they went from 9 discs to 6...
The regular DVD could be nine discs still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Here's the set in high res...

http://i.imgur.com/YkrBzhj.jpg

I must say, this looks beautiful. The absence of Talia makes you think that Talia is this overall final villain of this story Nolan created that Batman needs to defeat in the end of it.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #370
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
WB never announced until it was released/close to it that Lethal Weapon 1-4's new box set was getting a complete remaster. And someone on Blu-Ray.com said WB has done it before so there is still hope.

I will buy this regardless, I like collector stuff like this. So my fingers are crossed for a better transfer.
That's good to know.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #371
Ipodman
Love Tension

I'm actually shocked that most comments I've seen are negative. The box design is cool, the toys and booklet thing is cute, has some surprisingly awesome special features which I'm totally looking forward to seeing. I already have all 3 films on blu-ray but wouldn't mind double dipping

Ipodman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #372
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipodman View Post
I'm actually shocked that most comments I've seen are negative. The box design is cool, the toys and booklet thing is cute, has some surprisingly awesome special features which I'm totally looking forward to seeing. I already have all 3 films on blu-ray but wouldn't mind double dipping
I think the problem is the pricetag. You cant' ask that much , if you offer the same + packaging + 1 bonus disc + stupid toys.

I really like the art of the boxset , i'll probably buy it (just because right now i don't have any copy of the films in blu ray) but...not for that stupid price.

If they want people to double dip , give them something really new.

Quote:
I wont tell you that i noticed immediately how different it was or anything like that (we really need a comparative to do that , unless you have the craziest photography memory in the world ) , but watching that blu ray i always thought something was really fishy because some of the intensity of the colors look absolutely nothing like what Wally Pfister uses to do.

Last edited by Tequilla; 07-03-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #373
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

It'll definitely go for less on Amazon.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #374
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post

I was reading those comments on the bluray forums as well. I'm crossing my fingers. I'm going to preorder it when it goes up on Amazon just in case they have new transfers.

Last edited by Figs; 07-03-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #375
Solidus
The Force Awakens

That and the price is not 100 bucks, that is the MSRP. I will bet it will be around 60 dollars on Amazon near the launch.

"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)

Last edited by Solidus; 07-03-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote