3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #101
Superhero 101
DESI

Default Re: Kathryn Bigelow’s 'Zero Dark Thirty'

I saw the movie last night and thought it was a okay film not as great as the critics have said it would be. The movie had its moments the last half hour was intense as hell and so was the scene where the compound blows up. But like many others have said this movie drags on for the first hour and a half. I thought the movie got a whole lot interesting once they find the couriers house that's when the movie picks up. Overall it's a movie you'd watch once and I thought becomes forgettable within a couple of hours. I thought the overall performances were good chastain gave a good performance but It isnt oscar worthy I think Lawrence gave a better performance in SLP. And if I had to compare this movie to hurt locker I like hurt locker much more.

I give it a 7/10

Old 01-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #102
TheSmoothKnight
Side-Kick

This was an awesome movie. I guess people thought this would be a action packed type of a movie or something. There is reason why this movie is up for awards.

TheSmoothKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #103
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmoothKnight View Post
This was an awesome movie. I guess people thought this would be a action packed type of a movie or something. There is reason why this movie is up for awards.
Because it features the killing of Osama Bin Laden (America's greatest nemesis)? I can't think of any other reason why. I wasn't expecting an action-packed or high-octane film, but I expected 'human' characters. The writing absolutely failed to bring that to life.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #104
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
Amazing film, it really does a great job of feeling authentic and at the same time being cinematic. It's not some flag waving military machismo movie, instead it's a fascinating look at the very real, unpleasant, painstaking, frustrating, failure ridden and ultimately successful hunt for one of the most evil men in history.

Kathryn Bigelow crafts a masterfully paced thriller that follows Jessica Chastain's Maya through 10 long years of interrogations, information gathering and pattern reading to get to the final pay-off, every step is engrossing and racked with tension, Bigelow manages to make you feel like you're watching real events unfold while still framing them cinematically giving the credibility of a documentary while never looking like one.

The film does not shy away from the ugly or try to paint bravado spewing heroes. Instead it shows professional and dedicated people working themselves ragged and at times doing unpleasant things in order to bring a mass murderer to justice. The torture scenes in the first 30 minutes are particularly uncomfortable to watch but I appreciated that film did not shy away from the fact that the idealistic notion of the white hat hero is not going to cut it in this war.

Even though we know the outcome the 2 hours plus it takes to get there are gripping and fascinating, the twists and turns are surprising to see unfold. When the moment comes where the Seal team go to take out Bin Laden the sequence comes off realistically with no moneyshot's and no excuses for what the team had to do, I really loved the way the closest look we get at a dead Bin Laden is from the team leaders cell phone pic.

The wide shot of the stealth chopper carrying Bin Laden's corpse landing back at the base perhaps captures the movie in a nutshell, it is simplistically final and yet beautiful in it's framing.

On the acting front everyone is good, especially Jason Clarke as a burnt out interrogator who starts off with a cocky facade. Chastain is the movies lead and is mostly good, but on a couple of occasions her attempt to be a hard ass does not ring true, one in particular where she says "I'm the mother****er that found this place" comes off like a school teacher reading a Sam Jackson line. However her subtle emotional undertones in the final scenes are superb, capturing a feeling of relief as she visibly looks like a giant weight has been lifted off her shoulders, but also giving the impression of "What do I do now?" after spending ten years chasing Bin Laden tirelessly.

I have not seen the other predicted contenders for best picture at the Oscars but this certainly has set the bar high as the one to beat for me, a truly magnificent achievement.

10/10

Good review and it sums up how I feel about Zero Dark Thirty. I was never bored. I don't think this film is for everybody. It's like being a fly on the wall. There's not a lot of character development , but each actor gives a decent performance. Also they might of taken some liberty with Jessica's character and some of the details of what actually went down , but it does feel effective and captures the frustration of the decade long hunt for Osama Bin Laden.

bullets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #105
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

I just got back from seeing it and loved it. I really got chills at the very first scene,or should I say the very first audio;some of the phone conversations aboard the hijacked planes and inside the burning Twin Towers. That set the tone.

Official fan of The Raimi Spider-man Trilogy 2002-2007
Venom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #106
Carnotaur3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurm... View Post
Chastain was the weakest point of the film. She wasn't believeable and everything she did felt ridiculously forced.

"I'm the motherf***er who found this place." Dreadful.

and her rampage on Bradley was laughable. I think it's because she over-enunciates when she speaks. I think she is a great actress, but this was not a good performance. Anytime she had to express anger or frustration, she felt very artificial.
Agreed. Someone just said a page back that the film is a procedural and isn't about the characters. Movies are about characters! And they should NEVER be forgotten. Here's a film where the director had no idea what anyone was going through. Real tears in the end, but who could tell what for. Always direct your actors with clarity.

http://www.vimeo.com/13170472
Carnotaur3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #107
Liam_H
Side-Kick

I thought it was pretty clear what it meant

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #108
SlamAdams
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post
Agreed. Someone just said a page back that the film is a procedural and isn't about the characters. Movies are about characters! And they should NEVER be forgotten. Here's a film where the director had no idea what anyone was going through. Real tears in the end, but who could tell what for. Always direct your actors with clarity.
I disagree. I think it is very much about Chastain and she did a great job. It was about restraint, which I believe is the hardest thing to portray in cinema. It is more about the quiet moments alone coming down from emotional highs than it is about wearing her heart on her sleeve in the tense moments. The tears at the end were an accumulation of the whole movie with possibly a little Ahab-syndrome thrown in.

SlamAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #109
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
The dialogue in this film is so full of exposition that it chokes its characters humanity. Other than Maya, none of the other characters felt anything more than cyphers; even Maya herself felt like an exposition husk at times.

This film has been compared to Zodiac, and one can immediately understand them, but Fincher never forgot his characters. Was there exposition? No doubt. But never at the expense of Robert Graysmith's character arc. Bigelow seemed most interested in the facts than the human element. And for that, among others, Zero Dark Thirty isn't half the film Zodiac is.
I was reminded of Zodiac too actually. They share a couple things in common. But Zodiac is a much better film. I may be biased since it's once of my favorite movies but still, Zodiac has more to chew on in the end.

And guess how many Oscar nominations Zodiac got? None. Just one of the many reasons why the Oscars or awards don't matter much in the end.

I wasn't bothered by the lack of character development at all actually. It's procedural yes, but that doesn't mean the characters come second ever. And they didn't feel like they did. They kind of served each other.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #110
hammerhedd11
OHaiMark

For those that say this movie does not have any character development of any kind, what would they make of the entirety of that final scene with Chastain?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
hammerhedd11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #111
bullets
bang bang

I think anyone would cry after that experience. She spent years searching and giving up her personal life. Then she's asked where would like to go and it's almost like she never really thought about it.

bullets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #112
SlamAdams
Side-Kick

That moment felt very Ahab-esque

SlamAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #113
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

Don't forget that the whole expeience almost cost her her life. And in fact,it did cost many people their lives,including a few of her friends.

Official fan of The Raimi Spider-man Trilogy 2002-2007
Venom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:49 AM   #114
RKO
QT's Personal Consultant.

Just came back from this. What a great film.

Never felt bored even through the quiet, investigative scenes. Everything is a thrilling build up for the big pay off, and what a pay off it is.

Jessica Chastain is amazing in this. Specially that scene at the end. Also whoever said her "motherf****g" scene came off awkward, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to come off that way and is uncharacteristic for Maya trying to act tough.

Someone get this hothead out of here!
RKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #115
KenK
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKO View Post
Just came back from this. What a great film.

Never felt bored even through the quiet, investigative scenes. Everything is a thrilling build up for the big pay off, and what a pay off it is.

Jessica Chastain is amazing in this. Specially that scene at the end. Also whoever said her "motherf****g" scene came off awkward, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to come off that way and is uncharacteristic for Maya trying to act tough.
I LOVED that scene!!! Her progressing for neophyte to hardass felt very natural!

KenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #116
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
If you don't know what the tears are for at the end you didn't just miss the movie. You may have missed the last ten years.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #117
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
If you don't know what the tears are for at the end you didn't just miss the movie. You may have missed the last ten years.
Agreed.

I kinda wish they edit it and just focus on the last few years instead of going all the way to the beginning. I would say that they should keep that opening with the 911 calls but just skip to like 08 when sh** was actually happening in regards to finding him.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #118
Visceral
Side-Kick

no easy day. anyone read that?

Before we begin does anyone want to get out?
Visceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #119
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

I'm fairly baffled by the claims that this film lacked characters.

What this film lacked was operatics, which it certainly never needed. A film doesn't need Daniel Day Lewis going all Billy the Butcher on the scenery in order to have characters.

Maya's whole life was consumed by the search for UBL. She was recruited straight out of high school by the CIA and started her career immediately before 9/11. The closest thing she has to friends are to her fellow analysts and CIA employees. The film portrays how they all felt various terrorist attacks, no matter how disconnected from their own particular focus as personal failures. As Maya emphasizes herself, she has done nothing else.The rising and falling action of the hunt for UBL IS the character arc for Maya, especially considering the break that finally leads to bin Laden comes about as the result of Maya asserting herself. Progress is made in the overall story of the hunt by Maya's character moving into the foreground of the story.

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #120
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

You can't really do a movie on this topic without someone viewing it as some type of propaganda. It was a very polarizing situation.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #121
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Agreed.

I kinda wish they edit it and just focus on the last few years instead of going all the way to the beginning. I would say that they should keep that opening with the 911 calls but just skip to like 08 when sh** was actually happening in regards to finding him.
Even though the things that "actually happened" were the direct result of the little apparent non-leads from 7 years earlier and were ever only connected due to the nearly obsessive efforts of the main character? Skip ahead to 2008 and you really don't have a story.

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #122
RKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
You can't really do a movie on this topic without someone viewing it as some type of propaganda. It was a very polarizing situation.
True, but this film doesn't even portray everyone as heroes here. The deeper subtext is that the war on terror warped our values.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #123
Carnotaur3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhedd11 View Post
For those that say this movie does not have any character development of any kind, what would they make of the entirety of that final scene with Chastain?
A movie I wanted to see but didn't get. The last scenes work in a completely different way than what preceded it. If the film is about restraint, it does no favors for Chastain who just doesn't sell it. She makes it seem like a performance than an embodiment. But even if you're making a movie about restraint, you have to be able to connect to the character and the last moment of hers is the only time you do. So we have 2 and half hours of restraint followed by seconds of emotion.

Last edited by Carnotaur3; 01-13-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #124
RKO

Quote:
A movie I wanted to see but didn't get. You aren't quite sure what the tears mean. They could mean anything. The film needed clarity.
What more clarification do you need? The manhunt had consumed her whole life, it was relief, and a sense being lost because she did not know where to go after that.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #125
Carnotaur3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKO View Post
What more clarification do you need? The manhunt had consumed her whole life, it was relief, and a sense being lost because she did not know where to go after that.
The movie didn't sell to me that it consumed her whole life. She didn't sell to me that it did. Not when you have someone restraining themselves for 2 and half hours.

You know what is the perfect antithesis for this film? "Serpico"

If you haven't seen it, you should. Pacino plays a cop who is constantly seeing the corruption in New York police department, slowly tries to fight it. And you really see the frustration within him, even when he's restraining himself from others view.