Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #276
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - Part 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I actually managed to sit through the entirety of The Thin Red Line when I saw it in theaters with my dad back in the 90's. We both agreed afterward that it was as if National Geographic had hired a philosophy professor to make a WWII film. Then we went and saw Saving Private Ryan again for the umpteenth time to recuperate.
Pretty good summary of the movie

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/bipolar/id867778921

Old 01-05-2013, 12:58 AM   #277
James
Built from Lego

Geez, you guys just reminded me I've never seen The Thin Red Line. I have a friend who used to bring it up every now and then, he was a big fan. I think I'll finally watch it.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:36 AM   #278
Blackman
C'mon Son

I just rewatched the first Transformers and here's a few unpopular (by fanboy standards at least) opinions:
1. I dont think it's that bad of a movie. In fact, i think it's a great summer action movie. It was funny for the most part, the action was a lot clearer and wasnt as hectic as the other 2 movies, the Autobots actually had some character and personality.
2. I dont think Shia LaBeouf is a bad actor in this or even most his other work
3. i dont mind the fact that the Autobots werent the focus. I think theyre screentime (or at least times with just the Autobots )couldve been increased by maybe 5-10 mins, but i was largely fine with it
4. Tyrese isnt a bad actor for the roles they put him in. I still think he would/wouldve been a fine Luke Cage if he bulked up

Last edited by Blackman; 01-05-2013 at 02:43 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:25 AM   #279
Zatanna
Mistress of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Not at all, that film has a huge fan base
I've seen a few people state that they hated it! lol

Old 01-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #280
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
I just rewatched the first Transformers and here's a few unpopular (by fanboy standards at least) opinions:
1. I dont think it's that bad of a movie. In fact, i think it's a great summer action movie. It was funny for the most part, the action was a lot clearer and wasnt as hectic as the other 2 movies, the Autobots actually had some character and personality.
3. i dont mind the fact that the Autobots werent the focus. I think theyre screentime (or at least times with just the Autobots )couldve been increased by maybe 5-10 mins, but i was largely fine with it
4. Tyrese isnt a bad actor for the roles they put him in. I still think he would/wouldve been a fine Luke Cage if he bulked up
I'm going to be honest. I loved the first transformers. I'm not a huge Transformers fan, though. I only watched Beast Wars as a kid and never got into the toys or the other Transformer cartoons.

I felt it had a nice balance of action and comedy (much more so than the sequels). I also liked that it had a more balanced focus on different characters than the sequels. It was also better edited than the sequels (though all of them face the same problem of "Which Transformer other than Optimus and Bumblebee are fighting"?).

Transformers 2 is still most likely the worst movie I've ever seen in theaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Jack's... View Post
I kind of feel the same about Aronofsky, though I really haven't seen many of his movies. I've watched a tiny bit of the Wrestler, but I can't sit through more than that, and I HATE Black Swan with a passion. Those are the only two movies of his I've had experience with, though.

I actually like Malick. I think Thin Red Line is great, and I really like Tree of Life. A big part of that is the visuals, which are just unbelievable. However, I absolutely 100% understand why his movies aren't for everyone.
I have never heard anyone say they can't through Aronofsky's movies but can get through Malick's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #281
Schlosser85
Watchful Protector
SHH! Global Moderator

I don't get the LaBeouf hatred either (at least not onscreen).

Movie Review Site:

H.E.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #282
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

I think it has more to do with his personality and reputation of being an a*****e offscreen.

In addition to him overshadowing the Transformers and being a bigger focus than the Autobots in the Transformers movies. Transformers fans hate that.

Quote:
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #283
Sloth7d
Escapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
I'm going to be honest. I loved the first transformers. I'm not a huge Transformers fan, though. I only watched Beast Wars as a kid and never got into the toys or the other Transformer cartoons.

I felt it had a nice balance of action and comedy (much more so than the sequels). I also liked that it had a more balanced focus on different characters than the sequels. It was also better edited than the sequels (though all of them face the same problem of "Which Transformer other than Optimus and Bumblebee are fighting"?).

Transformers 2 is still most likely the worst movie I've ever seen in theaters.
Same here, regarding everything. Except The Grudge 2 is probably my least favorite movie going experience. Either that or League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #284
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth7d View Post
Same here, regarding everything. Except The Grudge 2 is probably my least favorite movie going experience. Either that or League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
The Spirit is by far the worst movie I have probably seen in theaters. It's still the only movie I have ever walked out of.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #285
Matt Mortem
Nintend'oh

I walked out of the Watch. Mainly because someone tried to burn the theater down, but mostly because it was awful.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #286
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
I walked out of the Watch. Mainly because someone tried to burn the theater down, but mostly because it was awful.
Lol

Old 01-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #287
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Did they try to burn down the theater because it was so awful?

I never walked out of a movie because I didn't like it. I walked out of Superbad because my mom and sister didn't want to see it after the first 5 minutes (I warned them) and they wanted to see the Simpsons movie. I walked out of Wanted because, well, I had to. The mall I was at in Florida was going under a blackout.

Quote:
Old 01-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #288
Blackman
C'mon Son

I walked out of Gamer in the last 30 mins
Wanted to walk out of Rocky and Bullwinkle when I was little but my mom wouldn't let me

Old 01-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #289
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

I actually liked Rocky and Bullwinkle when I was a kid.

I watched it back in 2011 and couldn't get through the first 20 minutes.

Also, when it comes to seeing movies, I tend to not see movies that have lower than 50% on Rotten tomatoes (mostly because of Transformers 2) in theaters though there are some exceptions.

Quote:
Old 01-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #290
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
I loved the first film, after 2 it all fell apart though. I didn't even bother with 3.

The worst part about 2, I thought, was that they have Optimus kicking ass really early on. When I watched that scene I literally thought "I bet this is going to be the best bit of the entire film" and boy was I right. I didn't quite know how much of a mess it was going to turn into, but man, what a horrible film.

Still, terrible or not both 2 and 3 made a ton of money so I can't really fault Michael Bay. He obviously knows what he's doing whether the fans like it or not.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #291
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
I loved the first film, after 2 it all fell apart though. I didn't even bother with 3.

The worst part about 2, I thought, was that they have Optimus kicking ass really early on. When I watched that scene I literally thought "I bet this is going to be the best bit of the entire film" and boy was I right. I didn't quite know how much of a mess it was going to turn into, but man, what a horrible film.

Still, terrible or not both 2 and 3 made a ton of money so I can't really fault Michael Bay. He obviously knows what he's doing whether the fans like it or not.
I think 3 wouldve been as bad or worse than ROTF if it wasnt for that last third/half in Chicago. Sam was so whiney and there were so many stupid characters if I remember right.
I might rewath the 3rd to see if I have the same feelings.

The series overall really dropped the ball on Sam/LaBeouf's character though. In the first he had this big act of bravery, killed Megatron, and had that "You're a soldier now moment". The in ROTF he says "This isnt my war". THen in DOTM he whines like a little b**ch because they wont let him help the autobots and because he cant find a job.

Really inconsistent writing

But Bay does know what he's doing, somewhat. AS you said he may not get teh hardcore fanbase but he gets the GA to see the movies and in the end when it comes to making a blockbuster movie that's what mostly count

Old 01-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #292
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

Quote:
I never walked out of a movie because I didn't like it. I walked out of Superbad because my mom and sister didn't want to see it after the first 5 minutes (I warned them) and they wanted to see the Simpsons movie. I walked out of Wanted because, well, I had to. The mall I was at in Florida was going under a blackout.

I've only ever walked out of 2 films in my life that I paid to go see in a theater(though there are plenty of them that I've tried on Netflix or premium cable and couldn't bring myself to finish them): Meet The Parents and Shallow Hal. When your comedy isn't funny at all and more than that ends up making me feel embarrassed to even be watching it in public then your movie sucks, IMO.

Quote:
I have never heard anyone say they can't through Aronofsky's movies but can get through Malick's.
Well having paid for a ticket as well as not seeing it alone is what kept me there to see TTRL. All my Aronofsky experience has been after those films were on cable so it was incredibly easy for me to just change the channel once they began to bore me.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #293
CGHulk
Green Guy

I liked Van Helsing for its pop corn fun and its beautiful women.

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
Old 01-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #294
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

I really liked MIB 3.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 01-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #295
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynplaine View Post
I really liked MIB 3.
Me too! It was scores better than the second one and told a neat story. I felt the ending was really good too.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #296
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Me too! It was scores better than the second one and told a neat story. I felt the ending was really good too.

Yeah, and I also thought that Josh Brolin didn't get enough props for the amazing performance he gave in the film.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 01-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #297
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

If Van Helsing has been more like that first black and white segment throughout, it would have been awesome.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #298
Sloth7d
Escapist

Quote:
I walked out of Gamer in the last 30 mins
Wanted to walk out of Rocky and Bullwinkle when I was little but my mom wouldn't let me
I would have walked out of The Grudge 2 if my mother wasn't with me. But my friends and I did walk out of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. We just couldn't take it.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #299
I Am Jack's...
Complete Lack Of Surprise

Quote:
Woo woo woo you know it bro.

But it's not that I can't sit through Aronofsky's movies because they're boring, it's how dark they are. I don't mind dark, but I just find the Wrestler so hard to watch. It's so difficult to enjoy for me. And I've never watched Requiem, for the same reason. And I just flat-out HATE Black Swan.

"I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." - Tyler Durden
Old 01-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #300
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynplaine View Post

Yeah, and I also thought that Josh Brolin didn't get enough props for the amazing performance he gave in the film.
Honestly, even if the movie wasn't good all on it's own, it would be worth watching just for Josh Brolin's Tommy Lee Jones impression.

Closed Thread