Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #751
grout
Side-Kick

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - Part 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Yes, and DC Comics will do the opposite and there's no problem either way with me.

I just want a World's Finest movie, dammit!

only one man i know that can make the worlds finest movie.. He's drinking a Dos Equis and is the most interesting man in the world.

Stay thirsty my friends...

Old 01-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #752
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynplaine View Post
Now you made me want to watch it, thanks
I'll echo what he said: Seven Psychopaths is much more than a wanna be Guy Ritchie movie. I straight don't like Guy Ritchie, but I really dug Seven Psychopaths. I've seen it once, just yesterday, but I know I'm gonna watch it again. It's funny, bloody as hell, really strange, and I know there's much to dig into and unpack.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #753
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
I look at Marvel Studios as being like Hammer Films. They're a niche studio that has a cast of characters they use to tell stories. Ideally, Marvel will keep on going making superhero films just like they make comic books.
I hope they get really ****ing weird like the Hammer Films. Iron Man vs Kung Fu Draculas or a trilogy of lesbian superhero films.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #754
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedoors View Post
I'll echo what he said: Seven Psychopaths is much more than a wanna be Guy Ritchie movie. I straight don't like Guy Ritchie, but I really dug Seven Psychopaths. I've seen it once, just yesterday, but I know I'm gonna watch it again. It's funny, bloody as hell, really strange, and I know there's much to dig into and unpack.
Now I will definitely check it out.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/bipolar/id867778921

Old 01-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #755
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight View Post
I cannot stand Watchmen. I've tried and tried, but cant do it. I find it boring and would rather watch grass grow.

no offence to those that do love the movie, but clearly not my cup of tea.
I don't like Watchmen either, but Snyder got Dr. Manhattan and The Comedian right though imo, the rest not so much. Especially Dr. Manhattan, thanks mostly to Crudup great, underrated performance.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 01-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #756
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

I understand Watchmen could be a hard pill to swallow, and you're probably right about it, what I liked about the movie was the different take on superheroes they made. I never read the original novel, but in a time where superhero movies were/are everywhere, I thought it was something different and interesting. Like when you go to a restaurant and there's the typical food you like everywhere, but sometimes you just like to try something different, even if you don't completely like it.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:15 PM   #757
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyeLorean View Post
I understand Watchmen could be a hard pill to swallow, and you're probably right about it, what I liked about the movie was the different take on superheroes they made. I never read the original novel, but in a time where superhero movies were/are everywhere, I thought it was something different and interesting. Like when you go to a restaurant and there's the typical food you like everywhere, but sometimes you just like to try something different, even if you don't completely like it.
Good point.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #758
DyeLorean

Oh, and it doesn't hurt that the movie was carefully made. I still have my doubts about Snyder, but Watchmen looks wonderful. Every frame, every shot, is just beautiful to look at.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:41 PM   #759
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Quote:
Oh, and it doesn't hurt that the movie was carefully made. I still have my doubts about Snyder, but Watchmen looks wonderful. Every frame, every shot, is just beautiful to look at.
I agree it's a damn good movie, it doesn't feel rushed and everything from the novel seems to be in there (except the squid of course) and even the added director's cut doesn't make it bloated.

And if the movies length is a problem to some then I suggest to those that they watch it over two days, trust me I like 3 hour epics like any other but my interest starts to wander off.

Self-contained stories part of a larger story is where its at. Not this writing for the trade nonsense. If you're going to write for the trade, don't release it in individual issues. Just release the trade.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:41 PM   #760
Drizzle
Yo Soy Groot.

Quote:
I don't like Watchmen either, but Snyder got Dr. Manhattan and The Comedian right though imo, the rest not so much. Especially Dr. Manhattan, thanks mostly to Crudup great, underrated performance.
You can't say that he didn't get Rorschach right. It's like he was ripped straight from the graphic novel. The only character that Snyder really screwed the pooch with was Ozymandias. It should have been Jude Law or someone similar in that role. Malin Akerman wasn't that great as Laurie either, but since the character isn't that all that interesting to begin with, I'll let that one slide.

Last edited by Drizzle; 01-30-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:14 AM   #761
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Watchmen was a pretty good movie in my books. I actually really liked that they used Manhattan instead of the squid for the ending.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:28 AM   #762
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

I enjoyed it as well.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:36 AM   #763
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Actually, it's one of the film's problem imo. It looks too carefully made, too beautiful, too much like a music video and it should look more gritty, like Taxi Driver or something lol. And more importantly, these people, except for Manhattan, are supposed to be normal people (like in the novel) who just put masks on, not super beings who can jump and punch the way they do in the film. An example, that prison escape fight felt way too choreographed, like wrestling or something, see Oldboy for the way it should have be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
You can't say that he didn't get Rorschach right. It's like he was ripped straight from the graphic novel. The only character that Snyder really screwed the pooch with was Ozymandias. It should have been Jude Law or someone similar in that role. Malin Akerman wasn't that great as Laurie either, but since the character isn't that all that interesting to begin with, I'll let that one slide.
I don't think he did, but remember it's the unpopular opinion thread

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 01-31-2013, 12:44 AM   #764
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
I also have my doubts about Snyder but I have great hopes about MOS.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 01-31-2013, 02:58 AM   #765
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
Actually, it's one of the film's problem imo. It looks too carefully made, too beautiful, too much like a music video and it should look more gritty, like Taxi Driver or something lol. And more importantly, these people, except for Manhattan, are supposed to be normal people (like in the novel) who just put masks on, not super beings who can jump and punch the way they do in the film. An example, that prison escape fight felt way too choreographed, like wrestling or something, see Oldboy for the way it should have be done.

I don't think he did, but remember it's the unpopular opinion thread
The carefully made appearance fits with the book. If you look at how the Watchmen comics were made, each panel was painstakingly composed. This is why Dave Gibbons was chosen, because he had a very deliberate, almost infographic style. There's a whole issue where the panels are symmetrical, that's how careful the original comics were.

Every panel was incredibly dense, which the film recreates perfectly, and whatever stylised look the film has is directly inspired from the comic's unusual colour palette of greens, purples and browns, which absolutely was a stylistic choice, even if it was to look more 'real' than the typical primary colour look most other comics had. If you notice, the film uses the same colour palette.

As for the characters being normal people, this isn't really supported by the book either. Ozymandias manages to catch a bullet, despite being a normal man. Remember, these heroes were still successful at what they did before they retired, which implies that they had a skill-level akin to your average comic book vigilante like Batman or Blue Beetle. That is to say, much higher than a person in the real world, who would be dead within weeks.

The film has problems, don't get me wrong. The main problem is that it is a direct adaptation of a serialised story but condensed into a feature-length film. This made the film disjointed. Had this film been made the same way, but as a 12-part miniseries, it would have been more successful.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:27 AM   #766
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Could Rorsach jump that high in the book or the Comedian, punch through walls and literally explode them ? It really felt like they had powers and were superhuman at times, which I don't think is what the book is about.
Also the Vietnam sequences should have been less stylized IMO. Imagine Platoon or Full Metal Jacket with a naked blue semi god thrown into mix. That's what I would have liked to see instead of the green screeny, music video feel of Snyder. The scene where they escape the prison should have been more like the corridor sequence in Oldboy or something imo.
That said i also get your point regarding the intricate and beautiful design of the graphic novel and I agree. I also agree with the 12 part miniseries.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #767
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
I really loved "In Bruges", but I didn't feel like watching "7 Psychopaths", because I'm really tired of the bickering, funny, quirky gangsters genre.
I'm also not interested in the new Gondry film, because besides the fact that it looks too much like a music video, it also looks way too "hip" for me.
I think if you compare 7 Psychopaths to In Bruges it becomes a disappointment , but otherwise it's worth a rental. I loved Christopher Walken's character.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:31 PM   #768
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

^ Thanks for the info, Bullets

_ I kinda miss Michael Cera. I'm not sure what all the bashing was about?
I thought he had great comedic timing and was pretty good in Superbad, Pilgrim, Arrested Development, Juno etc...
Speaking of bashing I don't like that band wagon mentality when all of sudden someone becomes strangely persona non grata and every one lashes out at them.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 01-31-2013, 07:32 PM   #769
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

He was too one note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:38 PM   #770
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
He was too one note.
That could be said of a lot of actors (and not necessarily bad ones), especially the comedic ones.
Eisenberg, whom I like a lot, is pretty one note too, but somehow he gets a pass.
What Cera does in Pilgrim or Superbad is not that one note or easy I think.
But to each their own.
(I like how you speak of him in the past tense as if he were dead He is just in Actor jail right now, he might come back who knows?)

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 01-31-2013, 07:44 PM   #771
DyeLorean

Michael Cera is too one note, but the roles are all too similar, and so he plays the same character over and over again. As he gets older, I'm sure he will find another acting path.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #772
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Difference between Cera and Eisenberg is that Eiseinberg could be taken more seriously and does more dramatic roles that requires more complexity for his roles, such as Adventureland and The Social Network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:15 PM   #773
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

I don't really care for car chases.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 01-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #774
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Really looking forward to World War Z and Warm Bodies.
Sketchy CGI? Twilight knockoff? I don't care. Bring it on, I just love zombie movies

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 01-31-2013, 10:59 PM   #775
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

It's not a Twilight knockoff.

Closed Thread