The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How do you think Man of Steel will do?
1.5 billion 11 5.85%
1 billion 27 14.36%
900 million 13 6.91%
800 million 35 18.62%
700 million 41 21.81%
600 million 29 15.43%
500 million 18 9.57%
400 million 8 4.26%
300 million 2 1.06%
200 million 4 2.13%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #251
Zatanna
Mistress of Magic

Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

I'm going to guess... between $600 to $700 million worldwide. I could be off, but I think people are already more intrigued than they were with Superman Returns. There's many things that make this one different.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #252
Asgard
Kanga Fu

Ill say 300M domestic 375M overseas.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #253
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I'm not predicting 800mil at all but with the way the international numbers have been behaving I can see 800mil but 1bil is impossible for a reboot so I'll never take that prediction seriously.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #254
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I'm not predicting 800mil at all but with the way the international numbers have been behaving I can see 800mil but 1bil is impossible for a reboot so I'll never take that prediction seriously.
I wouldn't say it's impossible. No one would have thought a Bond movie would top $1 billion. If you make a good movie, it'll make money. There's no secret to it.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #255
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
I wouldn't say it's impossible. No one would have thought a Bond movie would top $1 billion. If you make a good movie, it'll make money. There's no secret to it.
No reboot has ever made a billion and a movie that comes out in early June? Nah, only sequels do that or original films with tons of hype and some great gimmick, not reboots to a dead franchise.

You are setting this movie up for failure by expecting record breaking numbers. What are you expecting for the sequel, 2billion? Are you expecting the 3rd one to do 2.5bil? I mean why not predict 2bil for this one? Honestly what is stopping you from going that high.

The Superman Returns and The Amazing Spider-Man fanboys tossed out the same overzealous numbers and they were wrong, what exactly makes some Superman fans think that Man of Steel will break this trend?

I'm kinda obessed with getting an answer because so far predicting record breaking numbers for Superhero reboot movies has a 100% failure rate and some fanboys continue to do it. It's a very curious phenomenon and I'd like to know why people like yourself keep hyping a movie to do something it has no chance of doing?

And again doesn't expecting a billion and or record breaking numbers mean that anything less is a failure in your eyes? Why set the goal post so high in the first place? Can you imagine if a studio did that? They would never make a sequel to anything.
I'm human so my predictions are often wrong but I feel 100% sure that a Superman reboot with a lousy release date ain't hitting a billion no matter how good it is.
I almost always put an "if I'm wrong" in these prediction posts but not this time because of the 100% failure rate of Superhero reboots to gross 1bil, to break records. I'll happily eat crow if the impossible happens...it won't.
And this long post is brought to by a poster who have been here for nearly 10 years and just can't stand another wild over prediction of these Superhero reboots without talking about that mindset in depth.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #256
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
No reboot has ever made a billion and a movie that comes out in early June? Nah, only sequels do that or original films with tons of hype and some great gimmick, not reboots to a dead franchise.

You are setting this movie up for failure by expecting record breaking numbers. What are you expecting for the sequel, 2billion? Are you expecting the 3rd one to do 2.5bil? I mean why not predict 2bil for this one? Honestly what is stopping you from going that high.

The Superman Returns and The Amazing Spider-Man fanboys tossed out the same overzealous numbers and they were wrong, what exactly makes some Superman fans think that Man of Steel will break this trend?

I'm kinda obessed with getting an answer because so far predicting record breaking numbers for Superhero reboot movies has a 100% failure rate and some fanboys continue to do it. It's a very curious phenomenon and I'd like to know why people like yourself keep hyping a movie to do something it has no chance of doing?

And again doesn't expecting a billion and or record breaking numbers mean that anything less is a failure in your eyes? Why set the goal post so high in the first place? Can you imagine if a studio did that? They would never make a sequel to anything.
I'm human so my predictions are often wrong but I feel 100% sure that a Superman reboot with a lousy release date ain't hitting a billion no matter how good it is.
I almost always put an "if I'm wrong" in these prediction posts but not this time because of the 100% failure rate of Superhero reboots to gross 1bil, to break records. I'll happily eat crow if the impossible happens...it won't.
And this long post is brought to by a poster who have been here for nearly 10 years and just can't stand another wild over prediction of these Superhero reboots without talking about that mindset in depth.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #257
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
You are setting this movie up for failure by expecting record breaking numbers.
That's basically the problem with The Hobbit. It's doing good here. But not great like The Lord of the Rings and especially not great when compared to the insane expectations/projections placed on it. Many thought a Phantom Menace-sized juggernaut was in the making... and now they're back-peddling.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #258
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
I consider it an honor to get a Zoidberg laced response to my post from an equally befuddled poster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
That's basically the problem with The Hobbit. It's doing good here. But not great like The Lord of the Rings and especially not great when compared to the insane expectations/projections placed on it. Many thought a Phantom Menace-sized juggernaut was in the making... and now they're back-peddling.
Yeah and I too, of my own volition, got entangled in that mindset when it came to The Hobbit. It was kinda unfair to the movie but almost everyone expected it to break more records and do better. It hasn't so all of that overhype makes it look like a disappointment. Do we want that for Man of Steel? Do we want 600 to 800mil to look like a failure? If the movie even does that well ofcourse.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #259
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Yeah and I too, of my own volition, got entangled in that mindset when it came to The Hobbit. It was kinda unfair to the movie but almost everyone expected it to break more records and do better. It hasn't so all of that overhype makes it look like a disappointment. Do we want that for Man of Steel? Do we want 600 to 800mil to look like a failure? If the movie even does that well ofcourse.
I want a good movie first and foremost. Many have already determined its a great movie. From the trailer alone. Which is foolish. That's the fanboy nerdgasm talking. Plenty of times we've seen good to great trailers to crappy movies.

I'm optimistic and hearing good things. But gotta be cautious and not get caught up in the hype.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #260
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
I want a good movie first and foremost. Many have already determined its a great movie. From the trailer alone. Which is foolish. That's the fanboy nerdgasm talking. Plenty of times we've seen good to great trailers to crappy movies.

I'm optimistic and hearing good things. But gotta be cautious and not get caught up in the hype.
Yeah the most important thing is if the individual watcher enjoys the flick.
The Matrix Reloaded killed my ability to get too excited for a film. So eventhough I'm hyped for MOS and Trek 2, I'm not so hyped that I'll suffer that crushing disappointment I did in 2003. Never again. I walk into every anticipated movie with the "It's gonna suck" mindset, it's aided me well since the summer of 03.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 12-30-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #261
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

The Matrix Reloaded was the first time I was letdown.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #262
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
The Matrix Reloaded was the first time I was letdown.
We are the same age so I'm not shocked at that info.

I used to just hate it but I didn't want to be like the Star Wars fans who still ***** to this very day so I let go of the hate. Now I just laugh at how awful it is whenever TNT plays it.

Ahhh to be 18 again, so nieve I was...

Old 12-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #263
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

I like Phantom Menace and the hatred on George Lucas is childish. So there.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:06 PM   #264
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
I like Phantom Menace and the hatred on George Lucas is childish. So there.
I completely agree, it's a decent god damn film, expect for Jar Jar. Lol

Old 12-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #265
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

I don't mind Jar Jar one bit.

Lucas set out to make a kids' adventure movie. To kick-start the prequels with something fun and the good guys win at the end... before everything went to Hell (on screen). He promised nothing more than that and that's exactly what he delivered.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:24 PM   #266
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
I don't mind Jar Jar one bit.

Lucas set out to make a kids' adventure movie. To kick-start the prequels with something fun and the good guys win at the end... before everything went to Hell (on screen). He promised nothing more than that and that's exactly what he delivered.
I suppose you are right, i just still to this day find the character annoying. Hell, i was 5 years old when i saw it, and i found it annoying.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:38 AM   #267
Project862006
Banned User

anyone think they are gonna change release date every poster and trailer keeps saying next summer when they have had a release date set for well over a year or am i just over thinking this?

Old 12-31-2012, 12:49 AM   #268
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Possibly, but only change they can really do is switch Pacific Rim and MOS. May is too packed. Can't remember the last movie of this caliber to be released in August.

Spill

Old 12-31-2012, 01:07 AM   #269
Project862006
Banned User

damn pacific rim's release date isn't the best 1 week after lone ranger and despicable me 2 i think i would rather keep june release lol

Old 12-31-2012, 07:24 AM   #270
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
No reboot has ever made a billion...
TAS didn’t make a billion. But ĺ of a billion isn’t chopped liver. And I suspect that WB would do handsprings if MOS got similar numbers.

Quote:
You are setting this movie up for failure by expecting record breaking numbers.
Speaking for myself, I’d be entirely satisfied with a Batman Begins-type result and performance. That movie didn’t even crack $400M ww. And with hindsight, nobody cares. It was strong enough to earn a sequel (which, in turn…) and - more importantly - it was an exceptionally good film. In terms of pie-in-the-sky, fanboyish optimism, this is my prediction hope for MOS.

Quote:
What were the expectations for The Hobbit? After two weeks, it’s already closing in on $700M. So a final tally at or around $1B seems likely.

Last edited by Dr.; 12-31-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #271
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
damn pacific rim's release date isn't the best 1 week after lone ranger and despicable me 2 i think i would rather keep june release lol
I think they will keep the June date for defo.

For one thing, it's Supes 75th anniversary. I recon they'll play on that and release a lot of features about how long he's been around and how he's the daddy of all superheroes

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 12-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #272
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
What were the expectations for The Hobbit? After two weeks, itís already closing in on $700M. So a final tally at or around $1B seems likely.
If I remember right, many people were expect numbers similar or close to The Avengers. At least $1.2 billion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #273
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
What were the expectations for The Hobbit? After two weeks, itís already closing in on $700M. So a final tally at or around $1B seems likely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
If I remember right, many people were expect numbers similar or close to The Avengers. At least $1.2 billion.
I was talking strictly domestic. There was a wide consensus it would out-gross Return of the King and surge like Phantom Menace. But there hasn't been enough time for nostalgia to kick in (which starts around... what...15-20-ish years?)

Worldwide it's doing solid.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #274
GreenKToo
In the fire

The big bucks won't come until the sequel hits. Broken record I know, but i'm thinking it will be in the same situation as batman begins was in, ie, A pretty Good b.o., but great word of mouth and dvd sales ensured a sequel. We all know how the sequel to that turned out. Folks Expecting a $billion b.o. are setting themselves up to be butt hurt.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #275
aNarcHy2day
Screw You Mayans!

Hobbit didn't get much of a positive review from critics during advanced screenings who criticized its pace and the odd frame rate! That would have affected it's grossing potential, however marginally!

Batman- Ben Affleck, 41
Superman- Henry Cavill, 29
Wonder Woman- Gal Gadot, 28
The Flash- Jake Gyllenhaal, 31
Green Lantern- Ryan Reynolds, 36; Idris Elba, 40
and
Vandal Savage- Javier Bardem, 43
Closed Thread