The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How do you think Man of Steel will do?
1.5 billion 11 5.85%
1 billion 27 14.36%
900 million 13 6.91%
800 million 35 18.62%
700 million 41 21.81%
600 million 29 15.43%
500 million 18 9.57%
400 million 8 4.26%
300 million 2 1.06%
200 million 4 2.13%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #351
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

And those were established franchise movies. MOS is starting from scratch. To open that high would be great already.

Spill

Old 01-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #352
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
And those were established franchise movies. MOS is starting from scratch. To open that high would be great already.
Oh I agree, that figure I threw out there would be great. I just dont think it will open as big as some here think.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #353
sf2
Side-Kick

Still no confidence in WB. Why they will get it right this time when they fail the last 20+years? The story may be poor. U know like immortals.

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #354
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
Still no confidence in WB. Why they will get it right this time when they fail the last 20+years? The story may be poor. U know like immortals.
Because if one movie from a completely different creative team has a poor story, it only stands to reason that a completely different film by a different team of collaborators will have a crap story as well.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #355
mjbull23
Beyond Good and Evil

This movie will pull somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-500 mil domestically and take in another 150 mil internationally, which would put it in the 700 mil neighborhood. Which would be fantastic, and almost certainly guarantee another installment.

On the other hand, if it fails to reach 500 mil worldwide, then I think Superman may be shelved from Cinematic release for quite some time. shudder to think.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #356
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

600-800 million, voted for the middle.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:52 AM   #357
EtherMagic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbull23 View Post
This movie will pull somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-500 mil domestically and take in another 150 mil internationally, which would put it in the 700 mil neighborhood. Which would be fantastic, and almost certainly guarantee another installment.

On the other hand, if it fails to reach 500 mil worldwide, then I think Superman may be shelved from Cinematic release for quite some time. shudder to think.

Thor did 450 Mill and cost 25 mil less then MOS to film, and Thor is getting a sequel. Just look at Green Lantern, grossed only 219 mil world wide and WB claimed at one point that it was getting a sequel, even though it did so bad.

Point is WB is desperate at the moment, Zack Snyder already stated that he is doing what he could to set WB up for the JL movie (in less suttle talk), so from this it is quite obvious that MOS will be leading into JL. Even if MOS does what Thor did at $450 mil, it will easilly get a sequel. It will get a sequel at $400 Mil, mainly because it will be connected to JL movie.

I do find it funny that some on here feel as if MOS will be seperate from the JL movie, stating Henry will not be involved in JL, and that there will be a totally different Sups in that movie. All I gotta say is thank the comic gods for that interview a couple weeks back with Zack Snyder stating that he is doing his what he needs to to to help WB set up for JL (I am Paraphrasing here).

There is NO WAY IN HE11 that WB will change the face of Sups just 2 years after releasing MOS, there is already a he11 storm going on from some who are ticked off that Brandon Routh is not sups in MOS, and this is 7 yrs after SR was released! Imagine how confussed people would be if Henry was not Sups in a JL movie???

"But there is nothing wrong with making a film about him a bit edgier and less corny."

Last edited by EtherMagic; 01-06-2013 at 05:01 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #358
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
Oh I agree, that figure I threw out there would be great. I just dont think it will open as big as some here think.
There again, I think it all depends on how they market the movie. If they market it as a badass action/adventure flick and show a bunch of TV Spots, then people will come out in droves. It's all about the content of the TV Spots, how frequently they are shown,the time slots they are shown in and what channels they are shown on , IMO. They absolutely MUST reach the 18-49 year old demographic. This will be a guy's flick to be sure, but I suspect that there will be more women in attendance because, you know, he's not an ugly guy.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251

Last edited by Kryptonian Warrior; 01-06-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #359
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Your predicted ratio is somewhat extreme and unlikely. Nowadays, big movies tend to earn most of their revenues from foreign BO. Even when they don’t, the foreign doesn’t typically dip below the 35-40% range. For example, TDK ($535M/$479M) and The Hunger Games ($408M/$278M). Based on a $400-500M domestic take, your foreign estimate is a paltry ~25%.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #360
Marvin
Side-Kick

There is enough in the last trailer alone to guarantee it making more than Returns.
Guarantee.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #361
DarthAlani
Side-Kick

The trailer has generated tons of good will. They need to keep this up with a Super Bowl spot and an action packed trailer later in the year.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #362
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:

The math on your domestic/international ratio is a bit unbalanced.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #363
GreenKToo
In the fire

Honestly, I dont fault someone for predicting a 400 mill dom take, nor do I fault someone for guessing a 250 mill dom take. I think it could go either way with this film. It Could be lightning in a bottle, or it could just do ok.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #364
Bruce Malone
Dazed & Confused

Let's be real here TDKR with all of its hype and good reviews and being the conclusion to the TDK trilogy finished with roughly $450 m domestic, which is great but it is foolish to assume MOS could approach that right out of the the gate.

If it can get above $250 m domestic WB will be quite happy assuming international numbers are fair.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #365
Marvin
Side-Kick

If hunger games is pulling in 400 dom right out of the gate, no reason a solid Superman movie with nolan hype can't.

Truth is no one can predict what kinda business a superman film does when it's firing on all cylinders. We've simply never seen it. The same way the world had never seen the same of Batman till recently.

The fact is, how much money would a spiderman or even Iron man film pull in if they had an entire film without the super hero throwing a single punch. Seriously a spiderman film with no fighting...
It's remarkable that Superman did as well as it did on name alone.

I'll eat my shorts if the film doesn't at least cross 350.
Especially in a month with no competition.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #366
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Exactly it hardly ever happens, so chances are it won't happen here also.

Spill

Old 01-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #367
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
Honestly, I dont fault someone for predicting a 400 mill dom take, nor do I fault someone for guessing a 250 mill dom take. I think it could go either way with this film. It Could be lightning in a bottle, or it could just do ok.
That's not what I'm referring too. It isn't his prediction of 400Mil to 500Mil domestic, it is the fact that he then balances that out with 150Mil internationally. Those types of ratios don't exist between domestic and international.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:30 PM   #368
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
Let's be real here TDKR with all of its hype and good reviews and being the conclusion to the TDK trilogy finished with roughly $450 m domestic,
Well it was on track for more 'til, y'know.

Mark Strong as Sinestro
Blake Lively as Carol Ferris
Old 01-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #369
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
There is enough in the last trailer alone to guarantee it making more than Returns.
Guarantee.
LOL, I believe we did say the same when we saw the 1st trailer of SR, and we predicted SR was gonna smash all the box office record. Some even said the Titanic number!!! exactly like what happening now. Yes. I still don’t have a good feeling about MOS. The good thing is I was always wrong.

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:22 AM   #370
Parker Wayne
IT Boy!

It has Superman punching someone so that alone is going to be a reason it's going gross more than Returns.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:39 AM   #371
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
It has Superman punching someone so that alone is going to be a reason it's going gross more than Returns.
R u sure? Why do I see the opposite thing in the trailer? Perhaps they think to have superman being punched like sandbag and coughing out blood is more sale guarantee. superman punching someone is boring and being done. Don’t u think?

Old 01-07-2013, 01:47 AM   #372
Parker Wayne
IT Boy!

Nope.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:03 AM   #373
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Certainly not with the resources we have today. Superman showing off his abilities can be quite the spectacle. I would love it if somewhere down the line we got to see something similar to Superman vs Darkseid in the finale of JLU.

Spill

Old 01-07-2013, 02:48 AM   #374
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Certainly not with the resources we have today. Superman showing off his abilities can be quite the spectacle. I would love it if somewhere down the line we got to see something similar to Superman vs Darkseid in the finale of JLU.
Agree. However film makers always have the different opinion. They wanna do ‘new’ things. In their mind, ‘superman punching’ has been done to death. So they think it’s cooler to do him getting punched around instead. U know, the idea of invincible being beaten down. they love this concept.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:11 AM   #375
Parker Wayne
IT Boy!

Nope.

Closed Thread