The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How do you think Man of Steel will do?
1.5 billion 11 5.85%
1 billion 27 14.36%
900 million 13 6.91%
800 million 35 18.62%
700 million 41 21.81%
600 million 29 15.43%
500 million 18 9.57%
400 million 8 4.26%
300 million 2 1.06%
200 million 4 2.13%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #401
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatanna View Post
LOL. The "wrrrronnggg" was supposed to be scary I guess, and I just laughed at it.
I thought it was supposed to be both intimidating and humorous at the same time. Like Daniel Plainview's "I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!".

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #402
Marvin
Side-Kick

If bond can crack 300 domestic, I don't see a good superman film not doing so in kind. In fact, I see the zeitgeist of a good, a different and a modern take superman film carrying world wide. With the 3D boost I think the final numbers will surprise many. Though it shouldn't.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:23 AM   #403
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
If bond can crack 300 domestic, I don't see a good superman film not doing so in kind. In fact, I see the zeitgeist of a good, a different and a modern take superman film carrying world wide. With the 3D boost I think the final numbers will surprise many. Though it shouldn't.
bond has made 20+ Movies, mostly are very successful. How many has superman made? U only make yourself miserable to make the comparison with bond.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:27 AM   #404
Astrodust
Side-Kick

I think Superman gets heavily promoted (at some point) and they push Christopher Nolan's name. 250 domestic and double that overseas for a cool 750 million.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:07 AM   #405
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
bond has made 20+ Movies, mostly are very successful. How many has superman made? U only make yourself miserable to make the comparison with bond.
That's a terrible reason.

Skyfall made as much as it did because it was great movie. That's why it's a terrible comparison. It didn't have to do with name value as much as it did word of mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:25 AM   #406
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodust View Post
I think Superman gets heavily promoted (at some point) and they push Christopher Nolan's name. 250 domestic and double that overseas for a cool 750 million.
Why superman can sell double oversea? If not mistaken, the oversea of SR is less than the domestic. So the most you can get is 500M which is a lot.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:42 AM   #407
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
That's a terrible reason.

Skyfall made as much as it did because it was great movie. That's why it's a terrible comparison. It didn't have to do with name value as much as it did word of mouth.
Of course word of mouth plays a very important role. However, name the branded type does sell more in general. Ie: which movie the audience will most likely to pick; ‘the bond returns’ or ‘the spy game’ / ‘the transformers 4’ or ‘the robot kingdom’? that’s why just name itself can worth millions.

Anyway, my whole point is superman isn’t as ‘branded’ as bond in the movie industry. Therefore making assumption like if bond can do this much, surely superman can as well is plainly wrong.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:50 AM   #408
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Why superman can sell double oversea? If not mistaken, the oversea of SR is less than the domestic. So the most you can get is 500M which is a lot.
Competition overseas is also a factor, at the time of SR, pirates franchise was very popular overseas and it took a big chunk of revenue from SR as it was not that entertaining movie.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:31 AM   #409
Zatanna
Mistress of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
I thought it was supposed to be both intimidating and humorous at the same time. Like Daniel Plainview's "I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!".
Intimidating is probably the right word, but I couldn't take it seriously at all, probably because I didn't take Lex himself seriously.

Last edited by Zatanna; 01-11-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #410
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
First let me start by saying I was referring to the domestic numbers.

Secondly I would have to ask if you yourself have actually ever looked at these numbers

There not too dissimilar from the Superman figures actually. The one year(83) they came out together superman actually out performed bond(imagine that, an obscure little guy like Superman of all people).

Bond could have a hundred movies(that performed as mundanely as most bond films do), what does number of films have to do with box office relevance. By your little parameters here, James Cameron's two original films that sit high atop the box office thrown have no business up there in light of the sheer number of bond films...
I apologize, but I just find it odd that you ask such a question and infer that I make myself look miserable.

Let's be serious here. How many films does spiderman have? Compared to Bond? Now take a second look at the domestic numbers of these bond films? Now a quick peek at the domestic numbers from the spiderman one's. Now try the same with Transformers, now try it with Pirates, now try it with...etc I digress.

The success of Skyfall has really blinded people into thinking bond has always been some sort of box office tyrant. My point was actually, if bond(a series that really hasn't been all that amazing domestically) can pull at least 300(you might not want to look at Ironman's numbers while you're at it), than a solid superman film with good word of mouth and "home field advantage" should be able to do the same. Superman is not only more well known domestically but internationally as well. Plus it's in 3D.

This next part is tres important.
Keep in mind alot of this word of mouth; the reason my buddy who thinks he knows and doesn't care for bond and has only watched 3 bond films, had me standing in line for an hour just to see Skyfall, is telling people that this is the bond that is accessible to us all, it's a new type of modern incarnation, gone are the tropes of 30 years ago with the shoes that stick to walls and what not. It's different and exciting. He stands on tops of buildings in a scarves and pea coats and he can't shoot straight....
What is this take on "nolans" superman being sold as if not "different"?

300 domestic should be an easy number to hit
especially in a baron month like june.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #411
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

300mil is never easy to hit, if it were every movie would hit that number. I went back and looked at the Superman Returns boxoffice threads and the fanboys were spewing the exact same nonsense about how popular Superman was, about how amazing the movie was going to be, how the competition was weak and that Pirates 2 was being over predicted. It's the same exact arguemen from six years ago.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #412
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
300mil is never easy to hit, if it were every movie would hit that number. I went back and looked at the Superman Returns boxoffice threads and the fanboys were spewing the exact same nonsense about how popular Superman was, about how amazing the movie was going to be, how the competition was weak and that Pirates 2 was being over predicted. It's the same exact arguemen from six years ago.
The question then be why didn't Returns make that much money(or as much money as the fans were predicting)? Do you think this film will suffer from the same flaws? Perhaps the flaws are just inherent with the character and he is damned to have a low ceiling.

Or perhaps many fans along with the riding on success director just had it wrong last time and this time things look different.

Every where you turn people have can spell out the many simple and obvious reasons why that film failed and how it could have been improved...many of those issues have been addressed in this most recent trailer...but that's beside the point. You are in fact right. There is a pattern, and you are keen to point it out.

I guess one of two parties will be eating some from form of I told you come come the end of this season.

Also when I said 300 is easy to hit, I meant for a certain caliber of film.
If I'm talking in the context of a Transformers film with Bay that's one thing. James bond...that's another.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #413
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP

I can see this doing Thor/Cap numbers, but maybe more so ASM numbers, so I'll give it close to $400 million domestic, $650-700 WW.

My LEGO Gallery
Old 01-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #414
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
The question then be why didn't Returns make that much money(or as much money as the fans were predicting)? Do you think this film will suffer from the same flaws? Perhaps the flaws are just inherent with the character and he is damned to have a low ceiling.

Or perhaps many fans along with the riding on success director just had it wrong last time and this time things look different.

Every where you turn people have can spell out the many simple and obvious reasons why that film failed and how it could have been improved...many of those issues have been addressed in this most recent trailer...but that's beside the point. You are in fact right. There is a pattern, and you are keen to point it out.

I guess one of two parties will be eating some from form of I told you come come the end of this season.

Also when I said 300 is easy to hit, I meant for a certain caliber of film.
If I'm talking in the context of a Transformers film with Bay that's one thing. James bond...that's another.
I don't care if I'm right about a box office prediction, if I did I would never predict box office numbers because I am often wrong. I don't have powers after all but I do have history on my side, reboots don't do record breaking numbers in the states. It took Nolan Batman until his second film to have record breaking numbers and you think that the Superman movie is going to jump to the front of the line on his first try. Sorry that I like to actually look at the history of reboots and not as Jamie puts it "nerdgasm" about a great trailer to the point of wildly overpredicting my pet project. I'm over 230mil for my MOS prediction so far so it's not like I'm predicting it to bomb. I mean it could be awful and tank, I'm just not predicting that.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:20 AM   #415
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I don't care if I'm right about a box office prediction, if I did I would never predict box office numbers because I am often wrong. I don't have powers after all but I do have history on my side, reboots don't do record breaking numbers in the states. It took Nolan Batman until his second film to have record breaking numbers and you think that the Superman movie is going to jump to the front of the line on his first try. Sorry that I like to actually look at the history of reboots and not as Jamie puts it "nerdgasm" about a great trailer to the point of wildly overpredicting my pet project. I'm over 230mil for my MOS prediction so far so it's not like I'm predicting it to bomb. I mean it could be awful and tank, I'm just not predicting that.
Nergdasming eh.
Jamie is quick to toss that observation around, yet never to members of his own podcast, which bless it's heart is one of the biggest culprits of such things.

Unfortunately Begins kinda stunk. Some may argue but I just don't think it was an entertaining enough film to over come the many obstacles it faced. TDK, although it didn't have the same circumstances, was an entertaining film. If only a film the likes of TDK had arrived first, some things may have been different.
I'm not yet convinced reboots are cursed to the degree many think they are. ASM had the overwhelming obstacle of being a beat for beat remake of a film 10years old and Xmen films never really do all that well anyways.

Moreover, Nolans name was back in 2006 what it was now, how much more do you think Begins would have racked in?

The trailer and world of mouth is good(if it's a good a film as Begins thought it was), no reason it can't do Blist Iron Man numbers.
I'm predicting over 300. This should be good.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:05 AM   #416
Astrodust
Side-Kick

Quote:
If MoS turns out to be good then the overseas gross should definitely beat the domestic. Rarely do these kind of movies make less overseas.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #417
GreenKToo
In the fire

Marketing. Then of course a good product that folks want a repeat viewing of. 250/300 dom. But, once the new trailer is released, could guess it higher. Hope they actually show a shot of supes and zod throwing down in the next one.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #418
Marvin
Side-Kick

If a costumed superhero film in which he doesn't through a punch, an somehow makes more than many of it's mainstream contemporaries, sequelitis aside, I'd like to see the sequel not far surpass that number...
I've said many times, take IronMan/Spiderman/even Batman and put them in a no fighting movie and see what happens. For one Thor and Cap would be making even less money than Returns did(talking about american audiences).

IronMan might just drop from 300 to say Returns number if it was written right, but I think it would be far less.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #419
ghostECHOsevn

Box office returns aside, I just hope its a more entertaining throw than Returns.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #420
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostECHOsevn View Post
Box office returns aside, I just hope its a more entertaining throw than Returns.
I agree. I want this to be the superman film that I have been waiting on for 25+ years. A really good b.o. Would be the icing on the cake.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #421
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I agree. I want this to be the superman film that I have been waiting on for 25+ years. A really good b.o. Would be the icing on the cake.
definitely, that us the most important thing that's its actually a great movie.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 01-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #422
GreenKToo
In the fire

If its really good but makes only, say 210 million dom, but has great w.o.m. and great dvd sales, it would still be a success. Much like how batman begins was. That lead on to bigger and even better films. I do expect it to make more than 210 mill dom tho.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #423
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Because of higher ticket prices, 3D ticket prices and the Superman and Nolan name I don't see it getting under 200mil in the states.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #424
sf2
Side-Kick

Maybe people tired of alien invasion story? Or they have a worse story...

Old 01-14-2013, 02:02 AM   #425
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Domestic - less than $250 million.
Worldwide - less than $700 million.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Closed Thread