The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How do you think Man of Steel will do?
1.5 billion 11 5.85%
1 billion 27 14.36%
900 million 13 6.91%
800 million 35 18.62%
700 million 41 21.81%
600 million 29 15.43%
500 million 18 9.57%
400 million 8 4.26%
300 million 2 1.06%
200 million 4 2.13%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #576
mohoo
Side-Kick

Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Superman Returns was mostly addressing the fans of previous films which had much smaller fan base -if any- outside the US, so it's no surprise that it had very little impact World Wide.

With MoS it's completely different. It's an origin story where you don't have to know anything about superman, it has no attachment to any previous works, it's has the action and visuals that everyone love, it has the Nolan name that has an increasing following (some will look at it as a sequel to the DK trilogy), and it comes in a time where superhero films have a geat deal of attention.

These things aren't predictable, but if I'm to bet between anything less than 800 million and breaking the billion, I'll bet on the latter.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #577
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohoo View Post
Superman Returns was mostly addressing the fans of previous films which had much smaller fan base -if any- outside the US, so it's no surprise that it had very little impact World Wide.

With MoS it's completely different. It's an origin story where you don't have to know anything about superman, it has no attachment to any previous works, it's has the action and visuals that everyone love, it has the Nolan name that has an increasing following (some will look at it as a sequel to the DK trilogy), and it comes in a time where superhero films have a geat deal of attention.

These things aren't predictable, but if I'm to bet between anything less than 800 million and breaking the billion, I'll bet on the latter.
It may not be directly attached, But a lot of the origins events will be similar .
We still have Krypton,Jor El and Lara , The Kents
Its not like it is a never before seen version of Superman.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #578
mohoo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
It may not be directly attached, But a lot of the origins events will be similar .
We still have Krypton,Jor El and Lara , The Kents
Its not like it is a never before seen version of Superman.
I didn't say it won't be similar, there's no problem in that. The problem arise if people need to see previous works to understand or appreciate this one.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #579
Liam_H
Side-Kick

You can still enjoy SR without having seen the prior two movies.

Spill

Old 03-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #580
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
You can still enjoy SR without having seen the prior two movies.
not seeing them might be the only way to enjoy it.

Last edited by Marvin; 03-03-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #581
sf2
Side-Kick

i think SR didn't do good, because it isn't a fun and exciting movie; and most of all the story isn't good.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:13 AM   #582
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Well, SR wasnt too user friendly , Hopefully MOS wont have that problem .

Old 03-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #583
snyderrocks
Banned User

i love the fact that superman returns was connected to the first two chris reeve films and the fact that bryan singer ignored 3 and 4 so sr became the third film in the franchise and it wrapped up the series up nicely and brandon routh was a great choice to replace reeve and all that stuff iron man 3 will be a bigger box office hit but man of steel will be the greatest superhero film ever crowe as jor el , henry cavill as superman , michael shannon as zod amy adams as lois lane , lawernce fishburne as perry white , diane lane as martha kent , kevin costner as jonathan kent that is the most talented acting ensemble ever assembled in superhero film history

Last edited by snyderrocks; 03-07-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:14 AM   #584
portland2002
Side-Kick

With regards to domestic gross, at least 300 million. Overseas, at least 500 million.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:22 AM   #585
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderrocks View Post
i love the fact that superman returns was connected to the first two chris reeve films and the fact that bryan singer ignored 3 and 4 so sr became the third film in the franchise and it wrapped up the series up nicely and brandon routh was a great choice to replace reeve and all that stuff iron man 3 will be a bigger box office hit but man of steel will be the greatest superhero film ever crowe as jor el , henry cavill as superman , michael shannon as zod amy adams as lois lane , lawernce fishburne as perry white , diane lane as martha kent , kevin costner as jonathan kent that is the most talented acting ensemble ever assembled in superhero film history
I would say The Dark Knight and The Avengers would be the top 2 most talented casts but this is definitely up there. Ive loved the casting

Old 03-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #586
GreenKToo
In the fire

yes, I love the casting..If we could have gotten a mortesen or day-lewis as lex, it would have been tops..
still, its in the top three for me as for as casting in a CB film goes.

If we get a sequel, i'm hoping for hugo weaving as Brainiac.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #587
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
yes, I love the casting..If we could have gotten a mortesen or day-lewis as lex, it would have been tops..

Not in any way a fan of Hugo Weaving as Brainiac... especially after his comments about playing Red Skull

But I do think with the casting having been this good so far, we will see a good class of actor in any sequels villain roles

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 03-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #588
Webhead38
Side-Kick

I think it will do numbers similar to SR. A little over $200 million domestically, around $400 worldwide. I just don't think the demand is there. SR should have been huge it's first weekend after a 19 year hiatus, but wasn't. The fact the film was met with mixed reviews after that fact doesn't help much either. So this film carries the weight of that disappointment along with a very mild demand for the character in a stand alone feature. Hopefully it will do better. But recent history suggests it has an uphill climb to reestablish it's brand on film.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #589
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead38 View Post
I think it will do numbers similar to SR. A little over $200 million domestically, around $400 worldwide. I just don't think the demand is there. SR should have been huge it's first weekend after a 19 year hiatus, but wasn't. The fact the film was met with mixed reviews after that fact doesn't help much either. So this film carries the weight of that disappointment along with a very mild demand for the character in a stand alone feature. Hopefully it will do better. But recent history suggests it has an uphill climb to reestablish it's brand on film.
I agree. I can see like 230 domestic, 600ish WW. I don't know what the oversees market will be. Supes is still that iconic American hero. While it is not as pronounced as Captain America, I'd be inclined to believe that stigma will hurt Superman overseas as well.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #590
GreenKToo
In the fire

I think it will do more..in the neighborhood of 275 dom...(of course that depends on if it has a good story, good acting, and lots of action or not )
People dont care who is in, or what a film is about, as long as its good they will come.

If its as good as we are hearing, this could be one of those weird films where the BO the following weekend is as much or more than the opening weekend. Hopefully the next trailer will get some more interest going.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #591
IamtheBatman
Side-Kick

MOS will do way better then BB.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #592
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Captain America movie made more overseas than in US, and Superman is widely recognized hero, I don't think that people living outside US consider him as primarily an american hero.

SR's effect on MOS will be marginal, if it gets same number of viewers as SR then adding extra 15 % (to account for earning due to 3D ticket prices) and inflation since 2006, we would get more than 480 mil. worldwide collection.

Add to this Nolan's name that will be used for marketing and Nolan's popularity in overseas market, it can easily reach 500 mil.

If the story and action is compelling I can easily see this movie earning 600 mil.

So, minimum estimate is 480 mil and average is around 600 mil. (IMO.)

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Old 03-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #593
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post

I always thought day-lewis would make a great Namor,
I never thought of him for Lex .

Old 03-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #594
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead38 View Post
Still, if it does numbers similar to the opening of Batman Begins, there will be a sequel .

Old 03-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #595
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Months (years?) ago, I said $700 million. I'm now thinking that's on the low end, and this very well could approach the big B.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #596
kingfalcon
Side-Kick

Am i the only one that sees the risk warner brothers is taking by naming the film man of steel?

This is essentially the first superhero origin/franchise starter that doesn't have the superheros name in it.

I don't think the name will effect it domestically that much, but worldwide it may be a problem. Superman is quite possibly the most popular superhero hero name brand and yet Warner brothers decided not to include it.
Unless they change the name to Superman: the man of steel for other markets

Old 03-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #597
Marvin
Side-Kick

I dare any executive to green light a superhero movie in which the hero never once throws a punch(or projectile) at a good or bad guy. Spiderman/Batman/IronMan...it's cinematic suicide and they let it happen, Singer walked around with a huge smile like he just ate some cake. It's a miracle the movies have made as much as they have so far. That's about to change.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #598
fanboiii
♢♦ ᴍᴀᴅ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ♦♢

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfalcon View Post
I don't think the name will effect it domestically that much, but worldwide it may be a problem. Superman is quite possibly the most popular superhero hero name brand and yet Warner brothers decided not to include it.
Unless they change the name to Superman: the man of steel for other markets
It's not a problem at all especially considering the two highest grossing Batman movies don't have 'Batman' in the title. The movie will be constantly referred to as a Superman movie and the shield or costume is just as recognizable as the name.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #599
Astrodust
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
Months (years?) ago, I said $700 million. I'm now thinking that's on the low end, and this very well could approach the big B.
I've always said that the potential for MoS is huge. Lots of things could work together to push it to a billion. Good reviews, solid film and Nolan factor. Most importantly, it has to entertain.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #600
GreenKToo
In the fire

until I see the next trailer and some bigger marketing kick in, i'm sticking with my guess of a 550/600 mill gross. At this time I think its too much to ask for a 800 to 1 billion dollar gross.
I've said from the get go that this *could* be very similar to what happened with BB, and what it made at the BO and DvD sales. The public loved it AFTER the fact and we all know what happened afterwards. TDK TDKR..
I hope i'm wrong and MOS makes 800 mill +. I just dont see that happening..

Last edited by GreenKToo; 03-08-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Closed Thread