The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How do you think Man of Steel will do?
1.5 billion 11 5.85%
1 billion 27 14.36%
900 million 13 6.91%
800 million 35 18.62%
700 million 41 21.81%
600 million 29 15.43%
500 million 18 9.57%
400 million 8 4.26%
300 million 2 1.06%
200 million 4 2.13%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 05:12 AM   #726
snyderrocks
Banned User

Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Stabelli View Post
You guys have me worried that Man of Steel will flop and that we'll never see Superman on the big screen again.
no film zack snyder has coming out this summer will flop 300 Rise of an empire and man of steel will be huge .

Last edited by snyderrocks; 03-17-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:37 AM   #727
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-E View Post
I was referring to Kenderal and doomsdayapel about why Batman Begins made 200m. If it was a better film it crossed 200m. Look at the ASM.

I know some in the industry his name is Dean. We go back years, we to high school together. He is a big comic book fan.
What's that got to do with me posting sure you do? You obviously quoted the wrong person.

If you do then good for you but I have a hard time believing that.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 03-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #728
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Quote:
Everybody in the world knows who supes is bud.

Captain America and Thor are better than Batman Begins. Begins is boring and lame. Two lesser known superhero movies did huge at the box office.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-E

I was referring to Kenderal and doomsdayapel about why Batman Begins made 200m. If it was a better film it crossed 200m. Look at the ASM.

I know some in the industry his name is Dean. We go back years, we to high school together. He is a big comic book fan.
Batman Begins (2005)
Domestic Total Gross: $205,343,774
= Worldwide: $374,218,673

Captain America (2011)
Domestic: $176,654,
= Worldwide: $368,608,363

Thor (2011)
Domestic: $181,030,624
= Worldwide: $449,326,618

Batman Begins did better than Captain America and Thor in Domestic.

Batman Begins made more than Captain America in Worldwide collections, and yes THOR made more money worldwide than BB, but that movie (Thor) came out Seven years after Batman begins, so to be fair you have to adjust BB's worldwide collections for inflation, also Thor had added advantage of higher 3D ticket prices to boost to its collections.

Also, Looking at RT ratings -

Batman Begins - 85 % (263 reviews)
Average Rating - 7.7/10

Captain America - 79 % (218 reviews)
Average Rating - 7.0/10

Thor - 77 %
Average Rating - 6.7/10

It seems to me that Batman Begins was still more successful both critically and commercially than Captain America and Thor.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 03-17-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #729
ironman_rick
Side-Kick

No Doubt....MOS will be one of the biggest hits this year.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #730
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

If it could at least outrgross TASM I'd be supremely happy. But it's one hell of a busy summer and with all the movies coming out before, during and after MOS even that seems like a hard task. And no, Im sure not all of those films will bomb as some seem to think. MOS would have to be a really big hit with the critics and audiences and have a really strong word of mouth to approach something like 800 million. Like, teenagers walking out with their jaws dropped and calling all their friends that they have to see this and going back to see it again the next day word of mouth. So far, WB showed nothing that would indicate that. If they keep holding back and the next trailer doesn't go all out and at least show some glimpses of something really spectacular then I'll conclude it won't be all that and hope for at least 500 mil WW.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #731
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

I think MOS will be successful, it just wont be Avengers Numbers .

Old 03-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #732
Kal-E
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
I think MOS will be successful, it just wont be Avengers Numbers .
You are under estimating the power of Supes. Synder is a great director see Dawn of the Dead.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #733
Tra-El
Side-Kick

The Avengers had years of buildup with cross-over Superhero cameo's in a very hyped team-up film that was highly anticipated from franchise to franchise with an already established backbone and origin of multiple characters.

What we are getting with MOS is a true origin Superman story that we've ultimately NEVER seen before that reboots a single franchise. Though MoS probably won't make Avengers numbers for obvious reasons, don't underestimate what a badass Superman flick could churn in!

Old 03-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #734
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
If it could at least outrgross TASM I'd be supremely happy. But it's one hell of a busy summer and with all the movies coming out before, during and after MOS even that seems like a hard task. And no, Im sure not all of those films will bomb as some seem to think. MOS would have to be a really big hit with the critics and audiences and have a really strong word of mouth to approach something like 800 million. Like, teenagers walking out with their jaws dropped and calling all their friends that they have to see this and going back to see it again the next day word of mouth. So far, WB showed nothing that would indicate that. If they keep holding back and the next trailer doesn't go all out and at least show some glimpses of something really spectacular then I'll conclude it won't be all that and hope for at least 500 mil WW.
The more great stuff WB hides from the trailers the weaker the opening will be. However this will do absolute wonders for word of mouth from people walking out.

Avengers however, utilized the best of both worlds with their approach. The film was full of stuff no one saw in the marketing(such as hulks moments) yet their trailers were plenty big and revealing.

We'll see come MoS' next trailer.
If WB is dumb(and they might just be), they might be planning to show the trailer with GI Joe. Considering we're getting wolverine with that film, and no one's seen wolverine yet, the buzz would most probably fall to that trailer. Dumb considering all the free marketing space WB has at the moment. OZ would have been a good time due to the huge demo of unsold Superman fans that film had in seats. If WB is going to wait, they may as well wait to show the trailer in front of IronMan. That comes out late April and would fit into their TDKR template.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #735
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
You are under estimating the power of Supes. Synder is a great director see Dawn of the Dead.
It is not about how great Snyder is.
The Last Big hit in the Superman Movie was in 1980.
The public is going to be lured back slow to this franchise .
It will be successful But, it wont be an Avengers sized blockbuster.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #736
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderrocks View Post
the boycott was regarding the fact that indris elba was cast to play the Norse god Heimdall if sean bean would have been cast no boycott would have took place .
I remember the controversy ,
I didnt realize there was a boycott attached to it.
I doubt Thor lost that much money over it .

Old 03-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #737
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
The more great stuff WB hides from the trailers the weaker the opening will be. However this will do absolute wonders for word of mouth from people walking out.

Avengers however, utilized the best of both worlds with their approach. The film was full of stuff no one saw in the marketing(such as hulks moments) yet their trailers were plenty big and revealing.

We'll see come MoS' next trailer.
If WB is dumb(and they might just be), they might be planning to show the trailer with GI Joe. Considering we're getting wolverine with that film, and no one's seen wolverine yet, the buzz would most probably fall to that trailer. Dumb considering all the free marketing space WB has at the moment. OZ would have been a good time due to the huge demo of unsold Superman fans that film had in seats. If WB is going to wait, they may as well wait to show the trailer in front of IronMan. That comes out late April and would fit into their TDKR template.
Just curious,
Is GI Joe expected to be a big hit that a lot of people are going to see ?

Old 03-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #738
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Just curious,
Is GI Joe expected to be a big hit that a lot of people are going to see ?
In theory it's, literally a summer film that just happens to be opening in March and everyone knows it. I'd just tinker with the predictions it was getting in the summer and apply it to a less busy movie month. Unlike it's original date, it won't have to deal with Spiderman in it's second weekend.

It also star 3 big leads. The Rock, Willis and a bigger Tatum than ever.
Lastly it's ticket price has been inflated by way of 3D post conversion. They've also gone with that Michael Bay sun kissed blue night colour palette.

Safe bet is that it's going to be the biggest hit of the year at the time it comes out. Right now that's either die hard or Oz.

That's my guess anyways.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #739
Liam_H
Side-Kick

No way GI Joe outperforms Oz. Oz will go by $200 million while I highly doubt Joe will make more than the first one.

Spill

Old 03-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #740
Marvin
Side-Kick

We'll see.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #741
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

GI Joe has flop written all over it. Whenever you delay a movie for a year it's a bad sign, and this movie didn't have a lot riding on it to begin with.

I'll go on record now, GI Joe Retaliation will have a lower opening weekend than the 54M the first film opened to, and that was in 2D

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #742
Project862006
Banned User

i dont want to comment till the final trailer i loved last trailer it was emotional powerful but if the next trailer is as epic and action oriented and catches GA as i hope

then it is game set match imo

Old 03-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #743
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
i dont want to comment till the final trailer i loved last trailer it was emotional powerful but if the next trailer is as epic and action oriented and catches GA as i hope

Agreed. And that's why I'll only make my "prediction" after the new trailer.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #744
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

It is also worth notiing That James Franco isnt exactly a household name.
If Oz can have this level of sucess with him as Lead,
There is no guarantee that Tatums involvement as a costar of The Rocks will make the difference for GI Joe.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #745
Liam_H
Side-Kick

The success of Oz was not based on Franco, he doesn't really hurt the movie but he didn't elevate it greatly either. Lots of other things have made Oz a success.

Spill

Old 03-18-2013, 12:28 AM   #746
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
GI Joe has flop written all over it. Whenever you delay a movie for a year it's a bad sign, and this movie didn't have a lot riding on it to begin with.

I'll go on record now, GI Joe Retaliation will have a lower opening weekend than the 54M the first film opened to, and that was in 2D
We'll see.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:30 AM   #747
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post

I think alot of these "generous" predictions will get alot more generous once they see what this movie is really packing.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:53 AM   #748
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post

Uh, movies like Star Trek and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince were delayed roughly the same amount of time G.I. Joe: Retaliation were (6-9 months)... and that didn't bode badly for those films.

But it's a different set of circumstances for the first two. The former was delayed since Paramount wisely decided it played better as a summer pic than at Christmas time, and the latter was delayed because TDK overperformed and WB needed a reliable blockbuster for summer '09. Both were finished in time for their original release dates, so that wasn't a problem with how they were received.

G.I. Joe 2 was delayed because they wanted to add more Channing Tatum and use that 3D surcharge to pad the worldwide grosses.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 03-18-2013, 01:14 AM   #749
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
The success of Oz was not based on Franco, he doesn't really hurt the movie but he didn't elevate it greatly either. Lots of other things have made Oz a success.
My point was that you cannot predict how a film will do on starpower.
Marvin seemed to think Tatums participation in GI Joe would help it,
I was saying famous or not famous doesnt always determine the success of a film.
Heck, Tatum doesnt even have that big of a role in GI Joe.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:17 AM   #750
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
Uh, movies like Star Trek and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince were delayed roughly the same amount of time G.I. Joe: Retaliation were (6-9 months)... and that didn't bode badly for those films.

But it's a different set of circumstances for the first two. The former was delayed since Paramount wisely decided it played better as a summer pic than at Christmas time, and the latter was delayed because TDK overperformed and WB needed a reliable blockbuster for summer '09. Both were finished in time for their original release dates, so that wasn't a problem with how they were received.

G.I. Joe 2 was delayed because they wanted to add more Channing Tatum and use that 3D surcharge to pad the worldwide grosses.
Paramount recently denied Tatums role was increased.

Closed Thread