The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How do you think Man of Steel will do?
1.5 billion 11 5.85%
1 billion 27 14.36%
900 million 13 6.91%
800 million 35 18.62%
700 million 41 21.81%
600 million 29 15.43%
500 million 18 9.57%
400 million 8 4.26%
300 million 2 1.06%
200 million 4 2.13%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #801
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatSpider View Post
I'm going to say something that might be obvious but for some reason everyone on this board is overlooking.

Don't underestimate the power of having Christopher Nolan's name attached to the movie.
I dont uderestimate that,
I just think you need more than Nolans name to make it a success when public awareness about this movie is so low.
The hype for The Avengers was going full bore at this time last year .

Old 04-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #802
echostation
Banned User

Let's try to be positive about the box officce, there are too many negative nancys and ninnys about the box office and marketing of this film... these need to stop and we pray for the film to be a success and bear fruit and passion for all

Old 04-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #803
Greeneyes
The World Isn't Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
People didn't completely hate Superman Returns they just didn't care for it.
Exactly. People aren't watching MOS trailers and going "I'm not watching that film because Superman Returns was the worst movie ever made and it killed my children!"

The people who are that bothered about Returns are the hardcore fans anyway,not the general audience.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #804
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
I dont uderestimate that,
I just think you need more than Nolans name to make it a success when public awareness about this movie is so low.
The hype for The Avengers was going full bore at this time last year .
That's Marvel Studios's methodology of marketing for you, they over saturate the market by releasing numerous photos, TV spots, interviews, trailers and previews, so that you can almost figure out what the movie is all about, no suspense and surprises remain, all the important money shots (and action sequences) are there to be seen in trailers and TV spots.

Still, their movies like TIH, Captain America and X-men First Class made less than Superman Returns. lol

*\S/T*
Old 04-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #805
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

The mood in regards to The Box Office would improve if we saw Evidence that WB cared enough to promote the film .
It is April, time to get moving.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #806
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
That's Marvel Studios's methodology of marketing for you, they over saturate the market by releasing numerous photos, TV spots, interviews, trailers and previews, so that you can almost figure out what the movie is all about, no suspense and surprises remain, all the important money shots (and action sequences) are there to be seen in trailers and TV spots.

Still, their movies like TIH, Captain America and X-men First Class made less than Superman Returns. lol
Yeah but they also cost less to make

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 04-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #807
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:

First Class wasnt Marvel , It was Fox.
And that oversaturation process for The Avengers led to the first 200 million dollar opening ever , in fact it was OVER 200 million.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #808
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
First Class wasnt Marvel , It was Fox.
And that oversaturation process for The Avengers led to the first 200 million dollar opening ever , in fact it was OVER 200 million.
Avengers required a lead up of five super hero movies the Avengers movie, so they had to over saturate the market as many people had no idea what the hell Avengers was all about.

Yes, X-Men franchise is at Fox and Spider-Man is at Sony but they are using the same marketing strategy.

Fox and Sony making movies based on Marvel properties are not completely detached from Marvel influence.

*\S/T*
Old 04-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #809
mohoo
Side-Kick

It's fun to discuss the marketing and how the film will do in the box office, but I don't understand why this subject became so important and serious.

I just want this film to be good.

I'll be happy if it made much, but why would I hate on WB if their marketing department (which does this for living) has a different strategy than what I want, or if their film didn't make them money as I hoped?

Old 04-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #810
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Yeah but they also cost less to make
A fact that very small percentage of general audience bother to check before going to the movies, a better parameter to gauge the audience response would be to count the number of tickets sold , which in case of SR was more than what Thor, X-Men FC, TIH and Captain America could manage.

(Adjust the SR's world wide collections for inflation and then reduce thor's collection by 15 % which was the boost given to it by 3D, and you get SR's collection better than that of Thor's.)

*\S/T*
Old 04-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #811
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by echostation View Post
Let's try to be positive about the box officce, there are too many negative nancys and ninnys about the box office and marketing of this film... these need to stop and we pray for the film to be a success and bear fruit and passion for all
Too many Debbie downers here.

*\S/T*
Old 04-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #812
Marvin
Side-Kick

Over saturation and show all trailers, get people talking and seats for a big opening.

The more people find out when their in the theater experience the far greater for word of mouth going forward.

We'll get a pretty good handle on what WB wants for MoS come the next(and final) trailer.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #813
Marvin
Side-Kick

As for what I find interesting about Marvels methodology is that they almost never actually sell their products on their own merit, it's always in context and leap frogging off of what came before and what's to come ahead.

This is still some of the snazziest piece of marketing I've seen in a while.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Cap is pretty underwhelming imo, atleast when compared to how pretty great he is in the comics.
Thor(in these movies), isn't Superman by any stretch and he was coming off of a made for TNT movie again imo.
These "super assassin's aren't anywhere near as compelling as say Bond or Bourne...etc..
I swear I never thought anyone would care for hulk in a trailer again, but lo and behold, he was the money shot in many ways and very much do to how Stark just sold him...
When you package all this together, you have a really exciting product.

I mean all you have to get to get fans salivating for an awkwardly designed armor that really brings nothing to the cinematic landscape in this day and age is to simply call it the "hulk buster armor" and all of a sudden your sitting on a hot topic. This is pretty much what I see marvel doing on all fronts and it's working out pretty damn well for them.
Hell all AsM had to do was have Nick Fury clapping in his trailer and they would have scored a good portion more interest/money.

Anyone that thinks MoS is going to do anything close to Avengers numbers is pretty off imo. The only way WB is going to get avengers money is to start pulling marvel like moves. And they most certainly are not doing that. Skyfall money is another matter though.

I just need to see that next trailer is all.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #814
SoNicRaDiATioN
Side-Kick

Quote:

You sound bitter for some reason.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #815
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
A fact that very small percentage of general audience bother to check before going to the movies, a better parameter to gauge the audience response would be to count the number of tickets sold , which in case of SR was more than what Thor, X-Men FC, TIH and Captain America could manage.

(Adjust the SR's world wide collections for inflation and then reduce thor's collection by 15 % which was the boost given to it by 3D, and you get SR's collection better than that of Thor's.)
Fair enough on that but the studios want to make money and if something cheaper makes a better profit then that makes more sense. Look at the Friday the 13th franchise small budget but good profits yet they don't make massive amounts of money.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #816
Travesty
Dats right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Fair enough on that but the studios want to make money and if something cheaper makes a better profit then that makes more sense. Look at the Friday the 13th franchise small budget but good profits yet they don't make massive amounts of money.
Yeah, Cap made about double in profits to what SR earned, and the others made more of a profit than SR, other than TIH.

*Dat Kane and his gifs!
Old 04-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #817
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
Yeah, Cap made about double in profits to what SR earned, and the others made more of a profit than SR, other than TIH.
Exactly my point

Old 04-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #818
Donar
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
You sound bitter for some reason.
He certainly does.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:15 AM   #819
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneyes View Post
Exactly. People aren't watching MOS trailers and going "I'm not watching that film because Superman Returns was the worst movie ever made and it killed my children!"

The people who are that bothered about Returns are the hardcore fans anyway,not the general audience.
Actually don't care is worse than hate.

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
Old 04-02-2013, 06:32 AM   #820
Tyrone Parker
The real black Spiderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
lol. maybe u r new and wasn't around here 6 years ago.

we were doing the same. singing Byran Singer's SR to the top, making wild estimation and against all the negative talks / rumours / leaks...
how ignorant we went...
Singer was among the best choice 6 years ago.

just dont want u to get burn.
You have know clue.

You'r going to be eating your words.

300 mil domestic is a lock and 400 mil is more realistic.

Last edited by Tyrone Parker; 04-02-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #821
Mr.M
Side-Kick

I don't think Marvel's strategy is sustainable long term. There will be burnout of course, beginning with the end of RDJ's tenure as Iron Man. Once you lose the Golden Goose, there will be than post-Michael Jordan nostalgia and no one will replace that for a while. Captain America and Thor haven't been incredibly successful and I'll be mildly impressed if those characters even complete their respective trilogies. After that, the pickings are slim.

Avengers 2 will probably be the pinnacle for Marvel cinema. Hopefully it's a good movie. That's all you can ask for. Maybe Avengers 3 will be at least as good as TDKR vs TDK. Then it will be a bunch of characters nobody gives a **** about.

I actually think X-Men has more long term viability, because Fox has built a universe spanning history. Multiple decades and timelines. Numerous stories and characters to pull from. X-Men movies can go in perpetuity. Avengers??? Not so sure about, unless you want to showcase even more obscure characters from the comics.

Marvel movies as we know them will pretty much be done once we hit the end of the decade. Then it will be a bunch of hit and misses with lesser known characters, where Marvel will finally take some chances, and fail more often than not. They'll have a hit or two as well, but it'll be very erratic.

Far as DC, I don't think they have anything outside of a solid Superman trilogy. I think all their characters need to be COMPLETELY re-imagined to work on the silver screen. WB will need to find right talent, and lots of it.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #822
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohoo View Post
It's fun to discuss the marketing and how the film will do in the box office, but I don't understand why this subject became so important and serious.

I just want this film to be good.

I'll be happy if it made much, but why would I hate on WB if their marketing department (which does this for living) has a different strategy than what I want, or if their film didn't make them money as I hoped?
well for one thing, if it doesnt make as much as hoped, no sequels, no flash, no JL. we'll get nothing but batman films for a long time.
I for one want sequels and other DC films besides Batman, so I WANT this to do well.

They (WB) thought the name Superman alone would sell SR, it didnt. It's true that Nolan's name will bring some folks in, but if the film isnt as good as hoped, wom will kill it. So it HAS to be a good film first and foremost. If it is, wom will take care of the rest, ie, a BB type of run.

Its my opinion that they need to start marketing this more. If they are as proud of it as rumors say, then let them show us, but let them mainly show the public. They're the ones that will have to be convinced, not us.

I just hope we arent here 4 months from now, talking about how great MOS was, but blaming wb for the films lack of success at the BO, and wondering for weeks and weeks about sequels, etc.
Still, we're so close now I dont really mind anymore, but I do worry if they have done enough to get folks in. two months to go tho, so we shall see. watching and waiting.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 04-02-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #823
Mr.M
Side-Kick

There really isn't an event movie this year. IM3 looks same old. You either like it or you think "meh" (obviously most of the general audience likes it). Star Trek is a sequel, and people will see it if they enjoyed the first, much like Iron Man. Still not event movies. Pacific Rim isn't an event. The Wolverine? Obviously not. I would say MoS is the event movie this year. It's going to hold better than Iron Man or Trek if the WoM is good. The May movies will be front loaded and dead once MoS comes out.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #824
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

For an event movie, MOS is certainly invisible to the GA right now.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #825
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

It's kind of impossible for me to judge general audience knowledge of the film, because every single person around me knows about it...

... because I don't shut up about it

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Closed Thread