The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How do you think Man of Steel will do?
1.5 billion 11 5.85%
1 billion 27 14.36%
900 million 13 6.91%
800 million 35 18.62%
700 million 41 21.81%
600 million 29 15.43%
500 million 18 9.57%
400 million 8 4.26%
300 million 2 1.06%
200 million 4 2.13%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #851
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
If you had to pick one.

Also, why didn't WB go with their usual mid July release? Pacific Rim is also WB right? That seems more like a June movie. MoS looks more like a main event movie. Not sure why they'd release it in the sandwich month. I think they could have muscled Wolverine out of there if they really wanted to. Or manybe they just want extra legs from the July 4th Holiday. Should do fine either way.
Cause of supermans anniversary.....that's why they pushed it to June and gave Dec to the hobbit

Old 04-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #852
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

I'm hoping for 650-700 mil worldwide. I don't care about breaking records like other franchise fans care about. I just want security of getting more Superman films made.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #853
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
I'm hoping for 650-700 mil worldwide. I don't care about breaking records like other franchise fans care about. I just want security of getting more Superman films made.
Exactly.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #854
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
This....couldn't agree more

Old 04-02-2013, 10:58 PM   #855
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Me also.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 04-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #856
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
If you had to pick one.

Also, why didn't WB go with their usual mid July release? Pacific Rim is also WB right? That seems more like a June movie. MoS looks more like a main event movie. Not sure why they'd release it in the sandwich month. I think they could have muscled Wolverine out of there if they really wanted to. Or manybe they just want extra legs from the July 4th Holiday. Should do fine either way.
mainly WB wasn't confident while they were making MOS. if they did, they would have make 2 movies in one go like STM & SII. then, to release MOS2 in December 2013.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #857
snyderrocks
Banned User

i hope so i because i am not the only one here that want's the JLA film and a bunch of sequel's to man of steel.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:55 AM   #858
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

I am not advocating either side in this argument, but I do wanna point some things out to some of the pessimists.

- Too many people are worried about the film's marketing.

I got news for you. You wanna know why some movies are over-marketed? Because the studio has an idea as to how good a movie is before it even hits theaters and they know the weaker films are going to need better marketing. If a film is being marketed like crazy so far in advance of it's release date, it may very well be because the studio has some vague idea it's going to suck.

- The best marketing is available is word of mouth.

It's free, it's effective, and it reaches everyone. The alleged "insider" buzz has been all extremely positive up until this point and I'm willing to bet WB feels they have a gem on their hands. That the marketing will take care of itself. That's how confident they are in this movie.

And lastly to the Superman doubters. I don't think you know just how iconic the character is. I know dumb people like to cite film gross and other irrelevant stats as to what makes one character or franchise more popular than the next, but you ask the American people to name a superhero that's synonymous with the word "superhero" and I can assure you an OVERWHELMING majority is going to say Superman. Now I know the last movie wasn't exactly what everyone wanted but I don't think it's enough to "tarnish" the strength of the character. Truth be told I don't even think anyone even remembers the last movie anyways so who even cares at this point? People are going to see Superman in action like never before and it's going to knock their f'n socks off. You thought people were awe of Hulk in Avengers? Wait til they see Superman. Combine that with what appears to be a story of self discovery that appeals to families and kids of all ages and this movie could end up being a giant. If you have a bunch of people saying, "You need to see Superman"... people are going to flock in droves.

Because Superman is not the ultmate superhero, he is THE superhero.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:49 AM   #859
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Quote:
I got news for you. You wanna know why some movies are over-marketed? Because the studio has an idea as to how good a movie is before it even hits theaters and they know the weaker films are going to need better marketing. If a film is being marketed like crazy so far in advance of it's release date, it may very well be because the studio has some vague idea it's going to suck.
But....But, Avengers was very well marketed and it was a very good movie so there.

Quote:
Because Superman is not the ultimate superhero, he is THE superhero.
Superman has the image of Boy Scout, he is viewed as a boring character as he is all powerful, nothing can really challenge him. He is no issues.

The heroes with personal issues are more popular nowadays, characters like Iron-Man , Batman and Wolverine.

These are not My views, I am simply echoing what many posters here say.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Old 04-05-2013, 01:52 AM   #860
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Superman is no longer in the spotlight... because of a jaded generation, and their desire to see more "realistic" superheroes, like Batman, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Superman has now been pushed to the limelight.

a hero in the limelight doesn't do well by word of mouth only... Superman Returns proved that.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #861
GreenKToo
In the fire

I HOPE like crazy this next trailer hits a homerun. It will either convince folks that are on the fence to see it, or not.
A really good trailer and tv spots could be the difference between a BB type of run where wom and DvD sales save it, or, a big opening (100 mill+ with very good legs.)
My opinion, as of NOW, somewhere in the middle, but closer to BB.
85/95 mill ow, 250/275 dom, 575/600 ww total. ( all subject to change of course.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 04-05-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #862
Greeneyes
The World Isn't Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
I am not advocating either side in this argument, but I do wanna point some things out to some of the pessimists.

- Too many people are worried about the film's marketing.

- The best marketing is available is word of mouth.

It's free, it's effective, and it reaches everyone. The alleged "insider" buzz has been all extremely positive up until this point and I'm willing to bet WB feels they have a gem on their hands. That the marketing will take care of itself. That's how confident they are in this movie.

And lastly to the Superman doubters. I don't think you know just how iconic the character is. I know dumb people like to cite film gross and other irrelevant stats as to what makes one character or franchise more popular than the next, but you ask the American people to name a superhero that's synonymous with the word "superhero" and I can assure you an OVERWHELMING majority is going to say Superman. Now I know the last movie wasn't exactly what everyone wanted but I don't think it's enough to "tarnish" the strength of the character. Truth be told I don't even think anyone even remembers the last movie anyways so who even cares at this point? People are going to see Superman in action like never before and it's going to knock their f'n socks off. You thought people were awe of Hulk in Avengers? Wait til they see Superman. Combine that with what appears to be a story of self discovery that appeals to families and kids of all ages and this movie could end up being a giant. If you have a bunch of people saying, "You need to see Superman"... people are going to flock in droves.

Because Superman is not the ultmate superhero, he is THE superhero.

Nice positive post

Old 04-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #863
Greeneyes
The World Isn't Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
But....But, Avengers was very well marketed and it was a very good movie so there.

Superman has the image of Boy Scout, he is viewed as a boring character as he is all powerful, nothing can really challenge him. He is no issues.

The heroes with personal issues are more popular nowadays, characters like Iron-Man , Batman and Wolverine.

These are not My views, I am simply echoing what many posters here say.
Well they have said that they will be showing his issues and challenges in this film to make him more Human and relatable and he wont be viewed as boring after this film hits trust me,multiple Kryptonian enemies plus the military and his own personal problems should show us a character everyone cares about and can relate to.

What many posters here say about Superman being boring or having no issues does not echo the entire general audience,lets not forget that a large number of people who say all the boring boyscout stuff are genre fans and we do complain about Superman far more than the guy on the street does who just wants to see Superman kick some butt on screen for once.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #864
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

You know who fits the description of a Boy Scout more than pretty much any other character?

Captain America. Both of the film's he's been in have done just fine.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #865
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
You know who fits the description of a Boy Scout more than pretty much any other character?

Captain America. Both of the film's he's been in have done just fine.
If superman does Cap's numbers, we'll be in trouble. I actually fear the only reason cap didn't get lower numbers is because of that big zeitgeist going on at marvel.

Avengers did well on more than just Cap's boy scout factor(possibly for other characters that represent the opposite).

Old 04-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #866
Tra-El
Side-Kick

I've said it once and I'll say it again: The people who don't GET Superman is a downright ignorant hater who never opened the pages of a Superman comic book and refuses to get to know the MAN other than the SUPER. To me, Superman is THEE ultimate BADASS mixed in with a highly touted moral compass. Heat vision. X-ray vision. Able to fly at great, super-sonic, Earth shattering speeds who's stronger than a locomotive and able to leap tall building in a single bound all wrapped into one in the midst of being as intelligent as can be.

But what makes Superman, SUPER to me, is Clark Kent. The man behind the cape. The man that grew up on a farm, who feels human emotions, who's been in love, who's lost not only a world, but also lost his Earth parent(s) (depending what variation of the story you view Supes) and who lost a whole entire race of society he never knew about.

He was a child needing to control the warmth, burn and heat from his heat vision at such an early age that would scare ANY kid half to death. That's heavy (ontop of OTHER things) not something you or I would call normal like puberty or armpit hair.

Superman, if people are willing to understand him to the core, is actually more relatable than Bruce Wayne ever will be.

Bruce was a spoiled kid of a billionaire who was always one day away from not only taking over Wayne Manor, but Gotham City due to his godly finances he'd inherit.

He was a child who witnessed his parents death and lived his WHOLE life as a revenge vigilante in a dark cave, foaming in the shadows with hatred at night and a playboy by day.

He never had the childhood in a small, quiet country-setting like Clark did. He never went to school like Clark did. He never had that female mother-figure in life to lend a crying shoulder like Clark did. He never experienced friendship or childhood crush's like Clark did.

Things that make you "human" at nature at a young age and development are things Clark experienced, not Bruce so in my mind, Clark is more relatable and human than Bruce Wayne is.

Throw in his incredibly badass superpowers that generate from our yellow sun (let alone being alien) and his moral standards that was parented upon him in a CRUEL world of temptation and anger around him and Superman is more impressive and interesting than people might THINK.

Now only if people can be EDUCATED. That's one of the reasons why I'm salivating for Man of Steel. So others can finally see the entire story of something that could finally be explained, on screen, as to WHY I love this character so much. Bring this movie on already!!!!!!

Old 04-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #867
snyderrocks
Banned User

@SKrilla31 star trek into darkness and iron man 3 are going to be hit film's that are being marketed like crazy back in 2008 indy 4 , tdk and iron man were marketed well and the incredible hulk was made on 150 million and grossed over 260 million ww AND was not marketed well .

@SKrilla31 word of mouth did not help Scott Pilgrim vs. the WORLD .

Last edited by snyderrocks; 04-05-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #868
snyderrocks
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
If superman does Cap's numbers, we'll be in trouble. I actually fear the only reason cap didn't get lower numbers is because of that big zeitgeist going on at marvel.

Avengers did well on more than just Cap's boy scout factor(possibly for other characters that represent the opposite).
if man of steel does what x men first class or captain america did we could all kiss live action superman film's goodbye .

Last edited by snyderrocks; 04-05-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #869
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Quote:

Let's see: That's two billionaire playboys, and an essentially immortal hero who cannot be injured.

Yeah, I can see how those characters are so much more relatable to the average Joe than Superman.

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Old 04-06-2013, 12:46 AM   #870
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
SR didn't do well overseas because it did not have enough action and the fact that it was completely overshadowed by much popular Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006).

I just hope that Pixar's Monsters University does not become as popular as POTC 2, otherwise it will be 2006 again.
Pixar certainly burned people on sequels when that horrid Cars 2 came out... Monsters University won't have that stigma but some cynics will see Pixar as dipping into the well for an unnecessary prequel/sequel. Unless it bowls over folks like Toy Story 3 did, MOS should do fine.

MU won't be the juggernaut Disney competition like POTC 2 was. In fact, I read the latest edition of Box Office Magazine... their prediction for MOS was a $68M weekend and $240M cume. They say the positive buzz will play a part in both opening weekend and playability after the first week.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 04-06-2013, 12:56 AM   #871
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
Pixar certainly burned people on sequels when that horrid Cars 2 came out... Monsters University won't have that stigma but some cynics will see Pixar as dipping into the well for an unnecessary prequel/sequel. Unless it bowls over folks like Toy Story 3 did, MOS should do fine.

MU won't be the juggernaut Disney competition like POTC 2 was. In fact, I read the latest edition of Box Office Magazine... their prediction for MOS was a $68M weekend and $240M cume. They say the positive buzz will play a part in both opening weekend and playability after the first week.
I'd be good with that domestic gross. If MOS can make between 550-600 WW.
A. I'd be okay with that
B. with that $ and great critical reviews, we would def get a sequel.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:23 AM   #872
sup101
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra-El View Post
I've said it once and I'll say it again: The people who don't GET Superman is a downright ignorant hater who never opened the pages of a Superman comic book and refuses to get to know the MAN other than the SUPER. To me, Superman is THEE ultimate BADASS mixed in with a highly touted moral compass. Heat vision. X-ray vision. Able to fly at great, super-sonic, Earth shattering speeds who's stronger than a locomotive and able to leap tall building in a single bound all wrapped into one in the midst of being as intelligent as can be.

But what makes Superman, SUPER to me, is Clark Kent. The man behind the cape. The man that grew up on a farm, who feels human emotions, who's been in love, who's lost not only a world, but also lost his Earth parent(s) (depending what variation of the story you view Supes) and who lost a whole entire race of society he never knew about.

He was a child needing to control the warmth, burn and heat from his heat vision at such an early age that would scare ANY kid half to death. That's heavy (ontop of OTHER things) not something you or I would call normal like puberty or armpit hair.

Superman, if people are willing to understand him to the core, is actually more relatable than Bruce Wayne ever will be.

Bruce was a spoiled kid of a billionaire who was always one day away from not only taking over Wayne Manor, but Gotham City due to his godly finances he'd inherit.

He was a child who witnessed his parents death and lived his WHOLE life as a revenge vigilante in a dark cave, foaming in the shadows with hatred at night and a playboy by day.

He never had the childhood in a small, quiet country-setting like Clark did. He never went to school like Clark did. He never had that female mother-figure in life to lend a crying shoulder like Clark did. He never experienced friendship or childhood crush's like Clark did.

Things that make you "human" at nature at a young age and development are things Clark experienced, not Bruce so in my mind, Clark is more relatable and human than Bruce Wayne is.

Throw in his incredibly badass superpowers that generate from our yellow sun (let alone being alien) and his moral standards that was parented upon him in a CRUEL world of temptation and anger around him and Superman is more impressive and interesting than people might THINK.

Now only if people can be EDUCATED. That's one of the reasons why I'm salivating for Man of Steel. So others can finally see the entire story of something that could finally be explained, on screen, as to WHY I love this character so much. Bring this movie on already!!!!!!
I'm with you.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:10 AM   #873
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Quote:
A nearly 3.5 weekend multiplier would be fantastic. Not easy to do.

Spill

Old 04-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #874
snyderrocks
Banned User

Quote:

68 million ? their prediction does appear to be more realistic since superman returns made over 84.6 million in it's first 5 day's in 2013 the stigma of returns is still turning away people from man of steel who will rent it at Redbox when it is released on DVD.

Last edited by snyderrocks; 04-06-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #875
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Didnt Batman Begins make about $72 million in its first five days?
$68 Million would be pretty close to that take .
Not too shabby.

Closed Thread