The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How do you think Man of Steel will do?
1.5 billion 11 5.85%
1 billion 27 14.36%
900 million 13 6.91%
800 million 35 18.62%
700 million 41 21.81%
600 million 29 15.43%
500 million 18 9.57%
400 million 8 4.26%
300 million 2 1.06%
200 million 4 2.13%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #901
Tyrone Parker
The real black Spiderman

Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by db85usa View Post
I could be wrong, but I won't be lol There's a different feeling with this film than what I had with SR. I wasn't entirely too excited back in 2006 when I realized it was a continuation of the donner universe. This time, we'll be getting a Superman we have never before seen on film.
I feel the same way I had no interest in seeing SR and I was waiting forever for a new take on Superman to come out. When I heard it was a continuation my interest dropped. When I saw the suit and unmanly actor it dropped more, no super powered villains even more. The icing on the cake was portraying Superman as a wimpy punching bag.

I never saw the movie until 3 years ago.

This is the take on Superman I have been waiting forever for.

People are seriously low balling this movie. I cant believe they actually think SR is going to hurt it. They will soon see that movie is gone and forgotten.

Last edited by Tyrone Parker; 04-12-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:03 AM   #902
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Man of Steel

Opening weekend-85mil

Total-260mil

International-350mil

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:26 AM   #903
Tyrone Parker
The real black Spiderman

Post Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Man of Steel

Opening weekend-85mil

Total-260mil

International-350mil
You have any money to bet? I'll take over 85 mil for $1000.

I cant wait for my sports book to put this up to bet on. I doubt they'll have it this low.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:30 AM   #904
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

This topic is going to be a lot of fun a week for now.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:46 AM   #905
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Parker View Post
I feel the same way I had no interest in seeing SR and I was waiting forever for a new take on Superman to come out. When I heard it was a continuation my interest dropped. When I saw the suit and unmanly actor it dropped more, no super powered villains even more. The icing on the cake was portraying Superman as a wimpy punching bag.

I never saw the movie until 3 years ago.

This is the take on Superman I have been waiting forever for.

People are seriously low balling this movie. I cant believe they actually think SR is going to hurt it. They will soon see that movie is gone and forgotten.
My case was different. I was totally over excited for SR. I followed it from pre its inception time till the very end of it, almost daily. So attached. I drew comic strips for it. It was crazy. I loved SRís initial concept to use Donnerís universe as a springboard to new story. I believe the origin story is not the only way to make a successful superman story. And you have to do the established superman story and make it work if you want to have a successful franchise. And I believed SR was heading the right way. Then we heard about the poor design of the super suit. We saw the 1st official image; a poor shot and unsupermanly expression / pose, following with a lot of official pics with amateur standard. And then we heard about the superkid rumors. Nevertheless, I didnít believe it because every Tom and Jane would know that itís a suicidal move for any action hero movie and Bryan Singer wasnít that stupid. I believed SR gonna do great; SR would have immense incredible action because we were showed the sophisticated camera they used. SR was gonna smashing records. People would welcome him with open armsÖ just like in the movieÖ
We then found out Prada had strong legs then SRÖ

And now I am burned totally.

SR didnít do good mainly because of its own fault. Thatís no argument. However, do you think the factor ďsuperman isnít that popularĒ contributed to the poor performance of SR too? itís easy to notice that people around us are more interested in batman, spidey and ironman.

Therefore, I still think MOS isnít gonna do great. My estimate still remains. $400M to $500M.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:18 AM   #906
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

I'm going to guess just under 700 million world wide.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:28 AM   #907
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Parker View Post
You have any money to bet? I'll take over 85 mil for $1000.

I cant wait for my sports book to put this up to bet on. I doubt they'll have it this low.
Unfortunately I'm broke as hell. I don't think that a 90mil opening is out of the question at all but I don't think that 70mil is either. That is my official prediction though.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:34 AM   #908
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

I have a hard time making a prediction because there has been so little marketing so far. If Warner Bros does kick the marketing into overdrive and do a good job of it, I feel like middle of the road $500-600 million WW predictions in this threat will very quickly seem low.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:48 AM   #909
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
My case was different. I was totally over excited for SR. I followed it from pre its inception time till the very end of it, almost daily. So attached. I drew comic strips for it. It was crazy. I loved SRís initial concept to use Donnerís universe as a springboard to new story. I believe the origin story is not the only way to make a successful superman story. And you have to do the established superman story and make it work if you want to have a successful franchise. And I believed SR was heading the right way. Then we heard about the poor design of the super suit. We saw the 1st official image; a poor shot and unsupermanly expression / pose, following with a lot of official pics with amateur standard. And then we heard about the superkid rumors. Nevertheless, I didnít believe it because every Tom and Jane would know that itís a suicidal move for any action hero movie and Bryan Singer wasnít that stupid. I believed SR gonna do great; SR would have immense incredible action because we were showed the sophisticated camera they used. SR was gonna smashing records. People would welcome him with open armsÖ just like in the movieÖ
We then found out Prada had strong legs then SRÖ

And now I am burned totally.

SR didnít do good mainly because of its own fault. Thatís no argument. However, do you think the factor ďsuperman isnít that popularĒ contributed to the poor performance of SR too? itís easy to notice that people around us are more interested in batman, spidey and ironman.

Therefore, I still think MOS isnít gonna do great. My estimate still remains. $400M to $500M.
I know that SR is not a perfect Superman movie by any means, but still it was a good movie. The reasons why it did not do well at Box Office was -

* It had to face tough competition from Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest franchise that was very popular and entertaining back then, SR was not action packed so naturally kids, Teen audience and many adults preferred POTC 2 over SR, the female audience preferred to watch The Devil Wears Prada.

* Superman was viewed as a character that belonged to past, as in 2006 it was the first Superman movie on big screen after a period of 19 years, the younger generation had fans of Spider-Man, X-Men and Batman, they were simply indifferent to character like Superman.

* The movie did little to win over new fans, as it depended too much on nostalgia and it was not a fun popcorn action movie that many fans wanted.

*\S/T*

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 04-12-2013 at 03:56 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:05 AM   #910
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
I was listening to Movie Moan, and I was actually surprised to hear Jamie's box-office predictions for MOS. $100M+ opening weekend, and around $300M domestic cume. That would be a great June opening for a live-action film outside of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

I hope WB gets that final trailer right and use those TV spots in the right areas.
I love Jamie but I think his prediction and everyone else's on Moviemoan was loco. I just do not see a reboot in June hitting 300mil. Now my 260mil prediction is because of inflation and 3D. I'd be crazy not to take that into account but this movie has a historically. lousy release date and it's a reboot. 300+mil would be a jaw dropping number. If the movie had a different release date maybe but for a decade now every early and mid June release that isn't an animated film has under performed.

I remember the 200mil predictions for The Incredible Hulk and the 300mil ones for Batman Begins and Superman Returns. And just last year the Raimi haters were dead set on The Amazing Spiderman hitting 300-400mil. With the exception of Star Trek every single one of these reboots have been over predicted by me and others. If I'm wrong, great because the movie looks awesome. If anything I think I'm 15mil too high.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:10 AM   #911
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I'm really nervous about the box office. It will make or break the chances of a sequel and quite possible DC on film outside of Batman. I do think though if it makes a ton at the BO they'll do a sequel before any JL movie.

I'm gonna stick with what I've said before though I think WW total will fall anywhere between 600-800 million. Anything more is a bonus.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:46 AM   #912
bgshw44
Side-Kick

For reference, MOS is currently trading at $244.50 on HSX

Lets go WB make another superman movie!!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #913
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgshw44 View Post
For reference, MOS is currently trading at $244.50 on HSX
Sorry if I'm been dumb, but what does that mean?

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 04-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #914
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

For MOS to do better than 500 mil (equal to SR when you take into account the inflation since 2006 and additional 15 % boost provided by 3D.), number of people watching the movie has to increase as compared to SR.

For that, MOS has to win over the audience who normally don't go to Superman / DC movies and those audience among general audience who don't like to watch comics based movies.

*\S/T*

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 04-12-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #915
bgshw44
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Sorry if I'm been dumb, but what does that mean?
244.5 million in domestic box office. Granted there is 2 months until release and it will peak around release, but that is the current consensus. I still think this movie will be huge, my brother, who is the stereotypical general audience with no real interest in the character, has huge interest in this movie because of Nolan. The name association is worth more than some think.

Lets go WB make another superman movie!!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #916
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
244.5 million in domestic box office. Granted there is 2 months until release and it will peak around release, but that is the current consensus. I still think this movie will be huge, my brother, who is the stereotypical general audience with no real interest in the character, has huge interest in this movie because of Nolan. The name association is worth more than some think.
Oh yeah for sure Nolan's Batman trilogy and Inception have really put him on a pedestal where people will flock to see things when he's involved. He's at the peak of his popularity right now so many people trust him to deliver.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #917
J.Howlett

137 million opening weekend. 315 million domestic take. 675 million worldwide total.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #918
Marvin
Side-Kick

This place is about to get alot more interesting.

Thus far alot of people have been basing their guesses on a post SR audience and WB's pensive marketing...and the negatives of a reboot with a boost from the Nolan name among other things.

Never underestimate the power of a calculated trailer.

For better or worse, when summer's over and this makes what it makes, people will look back and say, "it's so obvious in hindsight".

Old 04-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #919
GreenKToo
In the fire

If the trailer is as good as i'm hearing, then i'm going up with my guess. we shall see.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #920
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
If the trailer is as good as i'm hearing, then i'm going up with my guess. we shall see.
What have you been hearing?

Old 04-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #921
LegendaryCaleb
Ozymandias.

110 million opening

900 million worldwide i think

Old 04-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #922
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
What does that translate to in opening weekend and how often is HSX wrong ?

Old 04-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #923
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Man of Steel

Opening weekend-85mil

Total-260mil

International-350mil

That's the most reasonable guess I've seen around here in a long time. It's pretty much what I give it, too. Maybe slightly less on the OS number but that's the general ballpark.

SR made less OS than DOM. I know there's been a big change in OS with China and whatnot but I still wouldn't be suprised if MoS made more DOM than OS. I also wouldn't be shocked too much if I turn out to be wrong in that assessment.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #924
Pickle-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
That's the most reasonable guess I've seen around here in a long time. It's pretty much what I give it, too. Maybe slightly less on the OS number but that's the general ballpark.

SR made less OS than DOM. I know there's been a big change in OS with China and whatnot but I still wouldn't be suprised if MoS made more DOM than OS. I also wouldn't be shocked too much if I turn out to be wrong in that assessment.
So long as it hits its breakeven point/budget (210 million?) domestic, it will be fine.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #925
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

OW: 84M

Dom: 275M

Total: 675M

Closed Thread