The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #51
Marvin
Side-Kick

Default Re: 2013: The Re-Up (box office predictions)

At least one film will make 1billion.
That's just the way things are going.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #52
amazingfantasy15
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
I don't see why WB isn't taking a chance and try a spring release for that film (especially considering MOS will be in the can anytime now). The first two weeks of April are pretty light (mostly comedies and thrillers). And coming off a packed March... MOS could seriously make a ton of money with little competition before Oblivion expands on April 19th.

Or if March 2013 wasn't so packed, WB could easily try that Hunger Games spot for MOS, which only has The Croods scheduled for that weekend.

I can't believe of all the movies WB elected to push up when March 1, 2013 became available was Jack the Giant Slayer. MOS would've been perfect for that early March spot. It would've been refreshing after the previous month's chick flicks and R-rated action flicks.
Superman will always be a summer movie, it's a tentpole. March is really a time to release movies that a studio isn't 100% sure about. Hunger Games was a new franchise, they wanted to hedge their bets and released it in Spring so it wouldn't get lost in the shuffle. Superman is a house hold name, he'll never get lost in the shuffle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
I don't see how Hobbit DOS will finish below all those films. It's certainly going to outgross MoS, Wolverine, AE, and Star Trek.

No 1, will be a battle between IM3, Hunger Games CF and Hobbit DOS.
I really don't see the Hobbit movies doing as well as the Lord of the Rings, there's gotta be a lot of padding in them to stretch the book in to three movies, plus a lot of the crossover appeal is gone since Aragorn and Legolas aren't costars in this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
I'm curious to see how hunger games performs. On one end it's a sequel to a pop book adaptation, on the other, the curiosity has been satisfied, and there are many people that won't simply go based on that reason alone. Moreover unlike twilight it doesn't have that horny girl boy band fuel.
Moreover, the second book isn't all that good, though it is "bigger". And I would argue that lame direction aside, the story really helped that first movie. However, the slick visuals of lawarence will most likely be a better fit here than the last guy.
If Hunger games is the top dog in the third quarter, it will most likely be due to the lack of anything to challenge for the title.
Hunger Games is a franchise now, the second movie might not do as well as the first, but it'll still be a top earner. I'd expect a drop off close to Spider-man vs. Spider-man 2.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #53
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Supposedly the second and third books is when it starts to kick in that Katniss is this savior hero, so curiosity will be piqued.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #54
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingfantasy15 View Post
Superman will always be a summer movie, it's a tentpole. March is really a time to release movies that a studio isn't 100% sure about.
Actually, Superman: The Movie was a Christmas release back in 1978 (and the rest were summer releases). Why should studios limit themselves to summer and holiday releases for big budget tentpoles?

March is rapidly becoming a hot spot for big budget movies now, with Disney booking Oz: The Great & Powerful and Maleficent for 2013 and 2014. Summit booked that mid-March 2014 spot for its next franchise, Divergent, so there's more to it than a spot a studio isn't sure of. Even Fox was quick to bag a March 6, 2015 date for its Fantastic Four reboot.

I think if movies continue to flourish in March spots, it'll become a go-to hot spot like May, July, November, and December are now.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 12-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #55
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Actually, Superman: The Movie was a Christmas release back in 1978 (and the rest were summer releases). Why should studios limit themselves to summer and holiday releases for big budget tentpoles?

March is rapidly becoming a hot spot for big budget movies now, with Disney booking Oz: The Great & Powerful and Maleficent for 2013 and 2014. Summit booked that mid-March 2014 spot for its next franchise, Divergent, so there's more to it than a spot a studio isn't sure of. Even Fox was quick to bag a March 6, 2015 date for its Fantastic Four reboot.

I think if movies continue to flourish in March spots, it'll become a go-to hot spot like May, July, November, and December are now.
For no other reason then that the studios are releasing bigger/better movies during that time. It's ways amazing hot execs are in control of their own bar graphs but are a slave to them at the same time.

If they released the 4 biggest movies next summer but in the spring slot, we'd be then talking about how spring is the new summer. And execs would be scurrying to figure it out. Stop releasing your crap in late summer and september if you want that period to look better on the graphs.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #56
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
Yea-- no, that won't happen. The first movie had appeal to not only the book fans, but casual moviegoers, and it was marketed extremely well. I certainly didn't see the first movie making over $400M domestic, due primarily to fantastic word-of-mouth sustaining it throughout April.

Goodwill from the previous movie and fans of the books will turn out in droves for Catching Fire next year, regardless whether the book itself wasn't well-received. I can see this going $450M domestic and $750M worldwide.
I could see HG Catching Fire dropping in the US a fair bit like Potter did ($55m drop from 1 to 2), for the same reason Marvin noted, "curiosity has been satisfied". It could hold about the same, but I really don't think it'll jump up $42m from an already massive number.

Quote:
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - $305M domestic, $600M worldwide

Absolutely no way does DOS only make $300m internationally.

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Old 12-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #57
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
For no other reason then that the studios are releasing bigger/better movies during that time. It's ways amazing hot execs are in control of their own bar graphs but are a slave to them at the same time.
I think it's just a matter of scheduling. The hot summer and holiday spots are booked 2-3 years ahead, and the studios are looking for dates that can do well (if not better) during the off-season months.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 12-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #58
:eek:
Side-Kick

Quote:

April could also become a hot month in the future. In 2014 we get both the Captain America-sequel and Robopocalypse in that month

Old 12-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #59
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by :eek: View Post
April could also become a hot month in the future. In 2014 we get both the Captain America-sequel and Robopocalypse in that month
Yeah if that keeps working out I can see the hot months being March-August & Nov-Dec

Old 12-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #60
Marvin
Side-Kick

Thought I'd post this here for some digestion. Studios are very franchise minded these days, and I'm sure they look at rankings such as these when they green potential franchise pilot. What's been working.
HIGHEST GROSSING 3 RING FRANCHISES(unadjusted)

Some of these are listed simply as trilogy's some are listed as the accumulation of the highest 3 installments in that franchise. As listed on BOmojo...in billions

Grouped specifically, by 3's and in order.

Group 1
Potter (highest 3) $3259.3
Pirates (highest 3) $3073.4
LOTR (trilogy) $2911.8

Group 2
Pirates (trilogy) $2683.8
Transformers (trilogy) $2669.8
Spiderman (Raimi) $2496.4

Group 3
Star Wars (prequels) $2473.3
Shrek (highest 3) $2471.4
Batman (Nolan) $2456.9

Group 4
IceAge (highest 3) $2417.1
Twilight (highest 3) $2203.2
Bond (highest 3) $2143.8

Group 5
Toy Story (trilogy) $1910.1
Matrix (trilogy) $1633.0
Xmen (highest 3) $1240.2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I were to group them differently it would be as such.

Tier A
Potter (highest 3) $3259.3
Pirates (highest 3) $3073.4

Tier B
LOTR (trilogy) $2911.8
Pirates (trilogy) $2683.8
Transformers (trilogy) $2669.8
Spiderman (Raimi) $2496.4

Star Wars (prequels) $2473.3
Shrek (highest 3) $2471.4
Batman (Nolan) $2456.9

IceAge (highest 3) $2417.1
Twilight (highest 3) $2203.2
Bond (highest 3) $2143.8

Tier C
Toy Story (trilogy) $1910.1
Matrix (trilogy) $1633.0
Xmen (highest 3) $1240.2

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I should add that these are the totals of Jim Cameron's to big individuals.
Titanic $2185.4

*note, Pirates listed as two different types of entities, for perspective.
**note, assume Ironman 3 makes at least as much as 2 that would give it $1833.0

Last edited by Marvin; 12-23-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #61
Shifty
Alcoholic Genius

Quote:
Yea-- no, that won't happen. The first movie had appeal to not only the book fans, but casual moviegoers, and it was marketed extremely well. I certainly didn't see the first movie making over $400M domestic, due primarily to fantastic word-of-mouth sustaining it throughout April.

Goodwill from the previous movie and fans of the books will turn out in droves for Catching Fire next year, regardless whether the book itself wasn't well-received. I can see this going $450M domestic and $750M worldwide.

Other predictions:

Iron Man 3 - $320M domestic, $750M worldwide
Star Trek: Into Darkness - $375M domestic, $600M worldwide
Fast & Furious 6 - $212M domestic, $650M worldwide
Hangover 3 - $235M domestic, $400M worldwide
Man of Steel - $300M domestic, $650M worldwide
Monsters University - $250M domestic, $800M worldwide
Despicable Me 2 - $235M domestic, $700M worldwide
The Wolverine - $154M domestic, $400M worldwide
Thor: The Dark World - $235M domestic, $650M worldwide
Frozen - $200M domestic, $650M worldwide
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - $305M domestic, $600M worldwide

Honestly, I can't conjure up a solid prediction for Pacific Rim, The Lone Ranger, The Host, 300: Rise of an Empire, RED 2, Kick-Ass 2, Jack the Giant Slayer and Oz: The Great & Powerful. They're all wild cards for me.
They all could be bombs with Oz grossing a billion.

Rick and Morty
Old 12-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #62
baerrtt
Side-Kick

Default The top grossing film of 2013

I think it's fair to say that this time last year if you posed the question to most ppl as to what they thought 2012's most successful film domestically was going to be TDKR would have been the answer and yet Marvel's THE AVENGERS claimed this year's title.

So, not a poll, what does everyone think will take next year's honour. IRON MAN 3 (my choice IMO), MAN OF STEEL, the 2nd Hobbit movie?

Old 12-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #63
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Default Re: The top grossing film of 2013

From a worldwide perspective I'd say The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #64
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

I guess maybe add Pacific Rim to that list? I dunno, could go either way. Could make loads or be a bit of a flop.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 12-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #65
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Iron Man 3 or The Hobbit: DOS

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Old 12-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #66
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrishAvenger View Post
Iron Man 3 or The Hobbit: DOS
This

Old 12-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #67
:eek:
Side-Kick

Bumping the thread since a new one was created

Old 12-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #68
Drizzle
Bangarang, Robin

I think Iron Man 3 may be the highest grossing film of 2013. It's coming hot off the success of The Avengers. So is Thor: The Dark World, but that isn't on the same level as IM, though that one is certain to make more than the first one. And we also can't count out The Hunger Games: Catching Fire or The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #69
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire should also do very well, around $850M I'd say.

Also, Monsters University should do very well since the first film made $539M WW (and that number is going to increase with the latest 3D Re-Release).

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Old 12-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #70
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Here are my predictions for the Top 5 grossing films of next year.

1.) Iron Man 3

2.) The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

3.) The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

4.) Monsters University

5.) Thor: The Dark World

INTERSTELLAR

Old 12-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #71
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

You need at least one R-rated comedy that is a surprise sleeper hit.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #72
Big Green
Side-Kick

I'm gonna go with Star Trek into darkness and World War Z, people really love zombies.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #73
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Okay, Anchorman 2

INTERSTELLAR

Old 12-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #74
jacobed
Banned User

It'll be Man of Steel. It's going to take the world by storm

Old 12-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #75
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

It does have the potential to be a surprising success. We'll have to see

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Closed Thread