The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #101
Parker Wayne
I have an army, of Batmen

Default Re: 2013: The Re-Up (box office predictions)

They did? There goes any relevance of me using Cinemascore as an example. Still, the user ratings for IM2 is still good. I wouldn't say the audience reception for the character has weakend with Iron Man 2. Well at least not to the point of a Spider-Man 3.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:31 PM   #102
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
They did? There goes any relevance of me using Cinemascore as an example. Still, the user ratings for IM2 is still good. I wouldn't say the audience reception for the character has weakend with Iron Man 2. Well at least not to the point of a Spider-Man 3.
Not to 100% throw away CinemaScore. But it can be odd.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #103
Parker Wayne

It's definitely odd.

But back to Iron Man 3, you never know. I say at the point if it's good, it ends up around $350 million, but it can gross $400 million if it's as good as the first. A similar comparison can be with The Bond movies. CR is great, QoS was disappointing, but that didn't matter as Bind bounced back with Skyfall. I know you'll say part of it had to do with the layoff, but I don't see Iron Man's popularity going down anytime soon.

Last edited by Parker Wayne; 12-30-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:39 PM   #104
Liam_H
Side-Kick

They poll the first people that see it. For big franchises they are destined to like it or they don't want to be too hard on something they love.

Its useful predictor for movies that piss people off or don't give them what they expected. Haywire, Killing Them Softly etc.

Spill

Old 12-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #105
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
They poll the first people that see it. For big franchises they are destined like it or they don't want to be too hard on something they love.

Its useful predictor for movies that piss people off or don't give them what they expected. Haywire, Killing Them Softly etc.
That's a bingo.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #106
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

Iron Man 2 only made 6 million less domestically than the first, and made more worldwide. People are acting like it was some Green Lantern type disaster. The GA still love the character after the movie and even more after the Avengers. The only people that didn't like the movie were butthurt fanboys on these kinds of forums.

What's my prediction? I don't know, but I do know it won't bomb or underperform because of Iron Man 2, and I do know Iron Man is way more popular than zombies.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Old 12-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #107
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
The only people that didn't like the movie were butthurt fanboys on these kinds of forums.
Or people with good taste.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #108
Shifty
Alcoholic Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
Iron Man 2 only made 6 million less domestically than the first, and made more worldwide. People are acting like it was some Green Lantern type disaster. The GA still love the character after the movie and even more after the Avengers. The only people that didn't like the movie were butthurt fanboys on these kinds of forums.

What's my prediction? I don't know, but I do know it won't bomb or underperform because of Iron Man 2, and I do know Iron Man is way more popular than zombies.
Sometimes a film can "do well" but still hurt the franchise.
It has the boost of The Avengers so whatever loss of movie goers it would've had, we'll never know.

I was very disappointed with IM2 and I'm not a Iron Man fan at all, it was a poor movie that I won't even watch on TV if it was on. I may or may not see IM3 in theatres, I can wait until renting it for $2 on BluRay.

Rick and Morty
Old 12-30-2012, 11:55 PM   #109
Parker Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Or people with good taste.
Oh so that's what you call "it".

Be snobby and use hyperbole all you want, but the Iron Man franchise still going strong and popular. You can belittle all you want but you'll end up wrong once again like usual.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:08 AM   #110
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Oh so that's what you call "it".

Be snobby and use hyperbole all you want, but the Iron Man franchise still going strong and popular. You can belittle all you want but you'll end up wrong once again like usual.
You should probably read the post I was responding to and getting the context before typing. Thanks.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:13 AM   #111
Parker Wayne

I perfectly understand the context and the subtext that goes with "people with good taste don't like Iron Man 2" and everything else I said stands. Maybe it's time to "think" before you making such absolute declarations.

Last edited by Parker Wayne; 12-31-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:50 AM   #112
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

I don't think the movies I'll list have any danger of entering the Top 10 for 2013, in terms of worldwide grosses. But they have potential of either being sleeper hits or start new franchises:

Broken City
Beautiful Creatures
Elysium
Oblivion
Safe Haven
The Host
Jack Ryan
Pain and Gain
Walking With Dinosaurs

Still unsure about Jack the Giant Slayer. Could be a big flop in the making, for all I know.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 12-31-2012, 12:55 AM   #113
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

If Broken City does well, its a testament to Wahlberg's drawing power.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:06 AM   #114
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Jack will likely perform like Snow White, White largely became successful because of it's foreign box office. I see the same thing happening here.

As per Iron Man, as I've said before you have the whole if the previous film let an audience down don't expect great numbers, HOWEVER with that said- that was years ago now and the last film in this case in the audience's heads is The Avengers. Thus, for the most part they are looking at this as Avengers 2 which will mean it will have an entirely different problem to deal with - living up to its main tent-pole. How will solo films be seen in comparison to the much larger one and if it doesn't live up, will that effect box office?
It won't get Avengers money, but where will it? It could go for or against it if it doesn't live up.

The prior film thing is the detractor from Man of Steel, which they are attempting to combat by selling a "Nolan's DC universe" brand.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 12-31-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #115
Project862006
Banned User

iron man 2 imo is in same league as superman returns and ang lee's hulk not a galactic failure but still not a very good movie and really divided the audience hell it even had a similar RT rating to superman returns at 75%

Old 12-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #116
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
iron man 2 imo is in same league as superman returns and ang lee's hulk not a galactic failure but still not a very good movie and really divided the audience hell it even had a similar RT rating to superman returns at 75%
The thing is- it's still the key MARVEL hero, thus the key character to audiences in THE AVENGERS. It was seen as "Iron Man and friends" to the masses at first. If Iron Man 2 was to effect a film it would have been that. As it stands, AVENGERS one year ago. IM2 - 2 years ago or 3 years ago. Avengers in this case is the "last film." Masses don't have as wide of an attention as fan boys when it comes to this. To them IM3 is more AVENGERS 2.

I actually liked SR better, but extreme orphan/adoptee bias there.

It effects Superman because SR was its last film. IM3 got saved due to Avengers, thus masses aren't looking to it as the sequel to IM2 but the sequel to Avengers- which might back fire and is why IM3 seriously needs to live up to those expectations because in comparison it is a much smaller film and while it will probably be better than IM2 if word is it's not Avengers level- that might hurt it.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 12-31-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #117
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Whatever damage Iron Man 2 did to the character, the Avengers not only repaired it, but gave it a cnsiderable dose of HGH. Iron Man was friggin awesome in the Avengers. Just awesome. And that will be what people remember going into Three. They will remember Iron Man owning Thor, destroying those Transformerseque creatures, and transporting an active nuke to the enemy turf.
They will remember that over drunken boxing Iron Man.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 12-31-2012, 10:19 AM   #118
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

This is what I see happening. The IM franchise will follow the Bond reboot, with IM2 rightly or wrongly being seen as the unloved stepchild. IM3 will make bank if it is great like Skyfall was great.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:39 PM   #119
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

And another possible question mark: Oz: The Great & Powerful. Disney obviously is taking the Alice in Wonderland route in terms of marketing: the early March date, the 3D, the prequel element, et al. (And they're pushing the 'From the director of the Spider-Man trilogy' element hard.)

It's certainly generating buzz at the theater I work at, with mostly women and younger children expressing interest. But I doubt it'll generate the kind of frenzy Alice did three years ago, unless it happens to be good.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 12-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #120
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

The script for it was very entertaining. Also people seem to love 'Wicked' so interest in this world is still there.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:28 AM   #121
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
The script for it was very entertaining. Also people seem to love 'Wicked' so interest in this world is still there.
I think a few people are confusing it with Wicked, to be honest. But if what you said holds true and people love Oz, Disney will have solidified March as the next hottest month for movie releases.

March 2013 should be an interesting month to observe. It should be record-breaking due to the sheer volume of high-profile releases (Oz, The Host, G.I. Joe 2, Jack the Giant Slayer, The Croods). Same for July.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 01-01-2013, 03:07 AM   #122
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

IM3 and Thor 2 will at least be in the top 10 of the 2013 blockbusters.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:51 AM   #123
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Hobbit Part 2 is my vote to take the gold, although I did say Part 1 would be 2012's biggest film, so take that for what it's worth.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:07 AM   #124
Superhero 101
DESI

I predict that top movies of 2013 will be

Iron man 3
Man of steel
Hobbit 2
Thor dark world
Despicable me 2
Fast 6
Hangover 3
Wolverine
Go joe retaliation

Old 01-01-2013, 04:29 AM   #125
Project862006
Banned User

^funny you leave out hunger games sequel even tho it out grossed every previous film of those franchises on your list besides hobbit which it is tied with atm at 686 million WW

Closed Thread