Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 07:41 AM   #326
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Default Re: Official Man of Steel Trailer(s) Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Yep, those outdoor shots make me varm and fuzzy. Completely un-Snyder-like. It just adds to the scope of the movie, so please keep it coming.
Well Snyder's always had a keen eye for visuals and beautiful shots, but in the sense that it's actually 'real world', then yeah he's never done anything like it before.

But he set out to do something unlike him.

My favourite inteview of his was the one with Paul Byrne for Movies.ie. Not only does he explain Sucker Punch in the way that I understood it, but he said this about his approach to MOS:

(This is my translation minus all Snyder's umms, ahhs, and generally awkward inability to express what he's trying to say all that well without stopping and starting sentances )

Quote:
If you look at what Chris did with The Dark Knight you can see that there is room in the genre of Superheroes to make a 'good' movie.

I've never felt like a movie should exist in the real world before. But I feel like Superman should. And we've designed the movie like that. We shoot on location a lot, in real settings, with real situations... because I feel like the most realistic movie i'll make is a movie with Superman in it.

Which I think is ironic, but in some ways right, because Superman's never existed that way. In some ways, for me to do a 'stylised' Superman movie is just the Superman movies that have all been made. Because all the Superman movies that have been made exist in some sort of weird stylised world where everyone's like 'apple pie and chevrolet' and it's madness. It's like the American dream in a weird way.

So the thing I find interesting is being able to release the character from that world. That stylised world where he's been stuck and shackled, and bring him to our world and see what he does.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 12-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #327
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Curious; Based on what you guys have seen in the trailer, do you guys feel that MOS's Clark would be the type to walk away from seeing someone get mugged like Peter Parker did in Spider-Man 2 in order to avoid revealing his powers to the world like his Father had told him to?

Old 12-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #328
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Curious; Based on what you guys have seen in the trailer, do you guys feel that MOS's Clark would be the type to walk away from seeing someone get mugged like Peter Parker did in Spider-Man 2 in order to avoid revealing his powers to the world like his Father had told him to?
I hope not... I mean, he could easily stop a mugging without anyone ever seeing him.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 12-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #329
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
I hope not... I mean, he could easily stop a mugging without anyone ever seeing him.
Indeed; the interesting thing that I've been coming across as of late is that while a majority of people that have seen the trailer have applauded for its new approach to Superman's character on the big screen, a few have pointed their concerns that while the franchise is taking Superman as a serious character, there's always the risk that Superman may not come off as the hero that he's so widely known for at the expense of making him more modern for today's society.

There is always that risk that they could accidentally make this version of Superman come off as very "reactive" as opposed to being "proactive" where he's more like Peter Parker in the sense where he only saves people if he happens to be there, and then once the job is done, he gets back to brooding about how miserable life is for him.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #330
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
He could, so I hope they know this and work with that. Not that I think we'll see him stopping muggers in MOS. Be if he wanted to he could do it in the blink of an eye without anyone ever noticing it.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #331
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Indeed; the interesting thing that I've been coming across as of late is that while a majority of people that have seen the trailer have applauded for its new approach to Superman's character on the big screen, a few have pointed their concerns that while the franchise is taking Superman as a serious character, there's always the risk that Superman may not come off as the hero that he's so widely known for at the expense of making him more modern for today's society.

There is always that risk that they could accidentally make this version of Superman come off as very "reactive" as opposed to being "proactive" where he's more like Peter Parker in the sense where he only saves people if he happens to be there, and then once the job is done, he gets back to brooding about how miserable life is for him.
Well it's certainly a possibility, but I hope they have enough understanding of the character and what makes him different to the likes of Peter Parker, that it won't come across that bad.

The least we can expect, knowing that this story comes from the same minds as BB/TDK/TDKR and hearing the line 'Whoever that man is, he's gonna change the world', is that the ambition of the alter ego 'Superman' is more than just saving lives where he can.

That it's about trying to do something beyond just altering life and death situations in the present, and actually bringing about lasting change in the future.

Because they really focused on that in TDK trilogy, and there is no reason not to have similar themes here, even if they are handled differently, and even if the initial 'push' to bring him out of hiding comes from Zod and Faora's attack.

I'm hoping it'll be something like this:

Clark has always wanted to do more with his powers, but didn't know how because a) his father drilled it into him that it was too dangerous for him (as any protective father would) and b) people have responded badly to every incident in which he has tried before.

Then Zod and Faora come along and suddenly this is out of his hands - he has to face the world knowing the truth because they draw him out into the public eye, and he has to deal with all the fear and rejection that comes with it.

But when he comes out the other side of this, what he will have is basically everything he wanted in the first place - the ability to use his powers to help people and change the world, but not be treated with hostility and fear, and still have a life of his own.

*\S/T*

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 12-15-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #332
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
I agree, there is obviously going to be a fair amount of sci-fi, and it's going to appeal to the same kind of audience as something like Star Trek would, which is definitely nothing we've had the chance to see before with Superman.
I find that Batman is to operatic theatre elements, what Superman is to science fiction.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #333
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Well it's certainly a possibility, but I hope they have enough understanding of the character and what makes him different to the likes of Peter Parker, that it won't come across that bad.

The least we can expect, knowing that this story comes from the same minds as BB/TDK/TDKR and hearing the line 'Whoever that man is, he's gonna change the world', is that the ambition of the alter ego 'Superman' is more than just saving lives where he can.

That it's about trying to do something beyond just altering life and death situations in the present, and actually bringing about lasting change in the future.

Because they really focused on that in TDK trilogy, and there is no reason not to have similar themes here, even if they are handled differently, and even if the initial 'push' to bring him out of hiding comes from Zod and Faora's attack.

I'm hoping it'll be: Clark has always wanted to do more with his powers, but didn't know how because a) his father drilled it into him that it was too dangerous for him (as any protective father would) and b) people have responded badly to every incident in which he has tried before. Then Zod and Faora come along and suddenly this is out of his hands - he has to face the world knowing the truth, and he has to deal with all the fear and rejection that comes with it. But when he comes out the other side of this, what he will have is basically everything he wanted in the first place - the ability to use his powers to help people and change the world, but not be treated with hostility and fear, and still have a life of his own.
Exactly! Plus, a person imho really can't call themselves the "Greatest Superhero of them all" if they're portrayed as such a reluctant one, etc.

If you could earn that title with those traits alone, then Spider-man would have gotten that title decades ago.lol

People involved with this film keep mentioning on how they understand on how big of a character Superman is and how he's the one that really started it all, well I hope that the thought process is well translated on the big screen.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #334
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:

It's about "making the world smaller" and only one man can do that.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #335
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Doubtful, tbh I don't think that'll happen in the movie but I feel you may not see him use his powers when he's older until the oil rig scene.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 12-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #336
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust

I have an opportunity to see the The Hobbit 3D with the High Frame Rate. My questions are twofold.....1) Has anyone seen The Hobbit in the HFR? 2) If so, was the MOS trailer shown before it?

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Old 12-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #337
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
I have an opportunity to see the The Hobbit 3D with the High Frame Rate. My questions are twofold.....1) Has anyone seen The Hobbit in the HFR? 2) If so, was the MOS trailer shown before it?
Yes and yes.

Free Original Music
Old 12-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #338
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
Yes and yes.
Sweet, thanks! I was kind of worried they wouldn't show it. Don't ask me why, I just was.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Old 12-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #339
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
Sweet, thanks! I was kind of worried they wouldn't show it. Don't ask me why, I just was.
Enjoy although I've hear 48 FFS is awful but I'd have chosen it knowing I'd get to see the Man of Steel trailer.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #340
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Enjoy although I've hear 48 FFS is awful but I'd have chosen it knowing I'd get to see the Man of Steel trailer.
FFS? But yeah, it definitely takes time getting used to, but I can see it being the future in cinematography.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #341
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
FFS? But yeah, it definitely takes time getting used to, but I can see it being the future in cinematography.
FPS bloody iPad I can't get used to this keyboard lol

I have no interest in it myself much like 3D I hope it dies

Old 12-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #342
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
FPS bloody iPad I can't get used to this keyboard lol

I have no interest in it myself much like 3D I hope it dies
Well, the HFR gives really clean and crisp images and it enhances the 3D, so it looks pretty good imo. But the strange movement it produces I dont know if I'll ever become a fan of.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #343
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Well, the HFR gives really clean and crisp images and it enhances the 3D, so it looks pretty good imo. But the strange movement it produces I dont know if I'll ever become a fan of.
That's what puts me off its been described as Benny Hill, I think that's gonna put people off.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #344
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
That's what puts me off its been described as Benny Hill, I think that's gonna put people off.
Well, shouldnt you see for yourself instead of what others put in your head before judging?

Old 12-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #345
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Well, shouldnt you see for yourself instead of what others put in your head before judging?
True ha ha but if they move like Benny Hill I know I won't like it. You don't need to see a term to know its s**t

Old 12-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #346
Rockbottom
Side-Kick

Im not normally Superman's biggest fan but I do see the great potential in the character and this trailer was fantastic. Easily my most anticipated movie of 2013 now.

Young Clark locked in the small room with his mother talking to him through the door is extremely powerful for some reason. The strongest being on Earth being seen in that context along with giving himself over to the army is so very interesting to me

Old 12-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #347
shauner111
Side-Kick

Saw the Hobbit last night and they had the trailer (thank god cuz i really didnt like the movie). Man, it's such an awesome trailer. It looks so good on the big screen, i cant wait to see it in Imax.

The footage just doesn't feel like Snyder to me. There may be a couple flying shots that feel like Snyder and his Watchmen style, but 90 percent of it feels like it's coming from a different director. The story elements feel very much like Nolans Batman Begins but visually it's a whole different feel. I really think it looks like a JJ Abrams/Star Trek kind of thing when the action kicks in.

It's weird. It's like the concept and how the trailer unfolds (even without the Nolan tag in there or prior knowledge of his participation) feels like it's a Nolan trailer and script. But it looks like it could belong to Ridley Scott or somebody. Just an awesome..awesome mixture.

I'm looking forward to a good amount of movies in 2013 but MOS is at the very top. THIS is the franchise or new trilogy that will keep me invested now that TDK Trilogy is supposedly done. The obsession continues!

Old 12-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #348
TDK elbowstrike
"I'm a man of my word..."

The trailer really looks phenomenal on the big screen.

That shot of Kryptons destruction with what I'm assuming is Lara looking on.... gave me chills...

Old 12-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #349
JayJustROTFL
Side-Kick

I wish the Budget was a bit higher. I think the CGI could be a little better. The film should have got 220m to work with imo, but I can understand Warner/DC wanting to play it safe after Green Lantern and the previous Superman film.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #350
Project862006
Banned User

who would of thought the epicness of the trailer song came from elizabeth the golden age ost lol
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Closed Thread