The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #276
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 21

I really hope Snyder can just stick the landing on this, and reign all these ambitious elements in to a cohesive whole.

I'm gonna admit that I'm still not 100% sold on Snyder's craftsmanship. There's just little things that bug me while watching his films. Take the opening of Watchmen for example. Was that slow-mo necessary during which the Comedians blood drops onto the smiley face badge. Like it literally breaks the whole flow of the fight scene just to get this slow 'important' shot of the blood splattering. He coulda just let it run in realtime. Hell I'm not even sure if the scene was necessary at all. If they just showed the badge in the gutter in the end with the bloodstain there would be no confusion why. Also slowmo when he gets thrown out the window once again showing the smileyface. Ugh. I don't know.

I like how he said that Nolan basically told him not to go for stuff cause 'it looks cool' and to essentially 'cut the crap' so to speak. I think that bodes well for MOS. Just that professional guidance from someone whose films I consider very economically done and not featuring anything superfluous.

I generally love his films though. There was some brilliant direction in Watchmen as well particularly with Dr. Manhattan and Rorschach. I think MOS could be the most defining piece at this point in his career though. And really put him on the map.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #277
dark_b
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Honestly, I think it was a great move to have Cavil portray Clark during his days before becoming Superman since we never got a chance to see either Reeve or Routh portray the character at that stage of their lives. I think it definitely makes it easier to root for the character visually when we have a consistency in seeing the same actor portray the character from the starting point and ending with that same said actor at the finishing point.
i am not a writter but i have right now at least 5 ideas how to show Clark before he is superman . and its him traveling and then working at the DP.

i guess my problem is that they are still using the old formula step by step.

one of my biggest fear is that he becomes Superman because of Joer-el. i like when the hero make the choice by himself. i like character development where the hero is doing all the work.
for example in the last batman movie. why couldnt Bruce found out himself that he needs to climb without the rope? i dont like old people telling our heroes what to do.

Last edited by dark_b; 12-14-2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:04 AM   #278
elgaz
Side-Kick

I don't think Clark will be 'told' what to do in this movie. I get the sense he's wondering the world, trying to find himself and find a purpose. Perhaps when he comes upon the FOS and finds out about his past, he'll be able to make an informed decision by himself.

Jor-El : the source of Clark's heritage, and his powers
Jonathan/Martha : the source of Clark's moral values and his love for humanity

Superman : the sum of those elements combined

Old 12-14-2012, 04:32 AM   #279
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post

Well considering what GDT talked about with the Jaegers, they're not Transformers. They're not athletic at all, and they're bigger -- way bigger (the size of skyscrapers). So there's a reason why these mechas are slow and clunky. You're not gonna see a Heavyweight fighter strike as fast as Lightweight, right? There's too much mass.
Thats very logical.And i dont care for it.
All Iwant to see is awesome Robots vs Monsters fights-If the fights are constantly slow mo my enjoyment will be dimnished.This is fantasy they are free to break ruleS a a little-make them faster!

Old 12-14-2012, 04:33 AM   #280
solyentbrak1
Side-Kick

Default (Apologies if this is the wrong section) Man Of Steel Fan TV Spot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92E2-NhbTnk

Old 12-14-2012, 04:45 AM   #281
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

I have to admit that seeing some of the destruction shots of Metropolis in the trailer definitely surprised me since I wasn't expecting for that much damage to take place to the city in this film.

With several spaceships and potential army of robots at his bidding, I wonder if the scale of the Metropolis battle will actually be as big as the ones presented at the climax of Birthright and Earth One.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:48 AM   #282
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
I have to admit that seeing some of the destruction shots of Metropolis in the trailer definitely surprised me since I wasn't expecting for that much damage to take place to the city in this film.

With several spaceships and potential army of robots at his bidding, I wonder if the scale of the Metropolis battle will actually be as big as the ones presented at the climax of Birthright and Earth One.
Pretty much look like.Looking at the synopsis Supermans public debut will be quite similar to the debut in Earth one.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:03 AM   #283
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
Pretty much look like.Looking at the synopsis Supermans public debut will be quite similar to the debut in Earth one.
Speaking of his debut, I wonder how they'll go about it in this film, since I doubt that they'll go for the standard, Superman first publicly appears to save a falling plane from crashing route.

Plus, unlike Earth One, I think Superman will be known by the world for awhile before the big battle in Metropolis since there's the Smallville Battle and the incident regarding him being taken into custody by the Government before being handed over to Zod and co.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:21 AM   #284
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Quote:
Thats very logical.And i dont care for it.
All Iwant to see is awesome Robots vs Monsters fights-If the fights are constantly slow mo my enjoyment will be dimnished.This is fantasy they are free to break ruleS a a little-make them faster!
Well the shot at the end of trailer showed that they can be quite agile.

Spill

Old 12-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #285
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

One thing I don't like in the trailer is how iffy some of the CGI looks in the places. Like in that shot of the (gravity) beam. The cars and trucks and all look quite fake to me. And since that was also in the CC trailer and it hasn't improved in all that time, I think this movie won't be anything ground-breaking I have been (foolishly) hoping for, in terms of CGI. But I've also never been impressed by anything Double Negative have done and I hear that and a few other shots the trailer are their work. Should have gone for ILM.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #286
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
One thing I don't like in the trailer is how iffy some of the CGI looks in the places. Like in that shot of the (gravity) beam. The cars and trucks and all look quite fake to me. And since that was also in the CC trailer and it hasn't improved in all that time, I think this movie won't be anything ground-breaking I have been (foolishly) hoping for, in terms of CGI. But I've also never been impressed by anything Double Negative have done and I hear that and a few other shots the trailer are their work. Should have gone for ILM.
Agreed. That shot of the gravity beam hitting Metropolis looks very muddy and even the buildings on the right side look like 3D graphics. The only other shot that bugs me is the CGI shot of the suit on display before he crashes into a vault. Seriously why.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #287
dark_b
Side-Kick

have you ever seen at dusk how a blue laser beam lights up floating buses,cars building pieces in the air? i have never seen how a destroyed bus in the air looks when a blue evergy beam lights him up.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:40 AM   #288
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
have you ever seen at dusk how a blue laser beam lights up floating buses,cars building pieces in the air? i have never seen how a destroyed bus in the air looks when a blue evergy beam lights him up.
Vehicles should look like vehicles (and buildings as well for that matter) not badly painted toy models, blue light or not.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #289
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Quote:
Oh Oh!

*Raises Hand*

I have!

Old 12-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #290
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
True. But I do know what semi-trailers and buildings look like. And they aren't super-represented there. I thought they would photo reference the cityscape of Chicago and add destruction to it.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #291
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Speaking of his debut, I wonder how they'll go about it in this film, since I doubt that they'll go for the standard, Superman first publicly appears to save a falling plane from crashing route.

Plus, unlike Earth One, I think Superman will be known by the world for awhile before the big battle in Metropolis since there's the Smallville Battle and the incident regarding him being taken into custody by the Government before being handed over to Zod and co.
Well I suspect that the public will be hearing off a mysterious "Man of steel" going around saving people before the debut and lois lane will probably be tracking this man down.As for the debut itself it will be Superman stopping the fisrt phase of Zods invasion.
Off topic it looks Zod has quite the artillery on his side-Spaceships and robots if the rumours are to be believed.
If If there are Robots in the movie Id probably keep it a secret even from the trailers-let them be a nice shocking suprise in the movie

Old 12-14-2012, 06:49 AM   #292
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Quote:
If If there are Robots in the movie Id probably keep it a secret even from the trailers-let them be a nice shocking suprise in the movie
Kind of reminds me on how "The Avengers" had gone on for a long period of trying to keep both the identity and look for their alien invaders a secret as well.

I honestly can't buy that whoever is helping Zod and Faora are kryptonian themselves. Superman looks like he's going to have a handful just taking on those two alone, and it would make it impossible for him to take on a group of Kryptonians, let alone trained ones when he's not as experienced and has no aid. That scenario alone would warrant a JLA reaction.lol

Old 12-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #293
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:

I think it will be the Plano, Illinois/Smallville fight. By the looks of the carnage there that looks like something pretty hardcore goes down there. Plus Zod asking him 'Do you know your native tongue, Kal-El'. Huge fight with military fire as well, culminating in him getting knocked into the vault. Then military entering in. Superman surrendering himself.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:56 AM   #294
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
I think it will be the Plano, Illinois/Smallville fight. By the looks of the carnage there that looks like something pretty hardcore goes down there. Plus Zod asking him 'Do you know your native tongue, Kal-El'. Huge fight with military fire as well, culminating in him getting knocked into the vault. Then military entering in. Superman surrendering himself.
I also remember hearing about how they had filmed a scene in a train station that supposedly takes place in Metropolis, where it's said to have been attacked by Zod. The only question is does that take place during or before the big showdown in Metropolis? Hmm...

Old 12-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #295
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Kind of reminds me on how "The Avengers" had gone on for a long period of trying to keep both the identity and look for their alien invaders a secret as well.

I honestly can't buy that whoever is helping Zod and Faora are kryptonian themselves. Superman looks like he's going to have a handful just taking on those two alone, and it would make it impossible for him to take on a group of Kryptonians, let alone trained ones when he's not as experienced and has no aid. That scenario alone would warrant a JLA reaction.lol
Exactly.Zod and Faora are bad enough

Old 12-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #296
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Exactly.Zod and Faora are bad enough
There could very well be other Kryptonian convicts who were imprisoned in Black Zero though. We know so very little about Zod in this film though. What is his motivation? I guess we know he uses a gravity beam on Metropolis. Why? Just to destroy it?

Old 12-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #297
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Quote:
There could very well be other Kryptonian convicts who were imprisoned in Black Zero though. We know so very little about Zod in this film though. What is his motivation? I guess we know he uses a gravity beam on Metropolis. Why? Just to destroy it?
Well Michael stated in interviews or hinted that Zod would be affected by the fact that he lost his home world, so like some have already theorized here, his conquest of Earth could be as a result of him trying to salvage of what's left of his civilization by trying to start a "New Krypton" on Earth.

Perhaps he uses the beam as a means of making the city as an example to those that would even think about challenging him, namely Superman.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #298
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Like was said earlier Zod and faora are enough to be the villains

Old 12-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #299
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Plus, IF they had an Robot Army as minions, then that could allow them to show Superman to let loose without having to worry about killing his opponent since they won't be sentient beings. They're strong enough to be a issue for Earth's forces, but weak enough for Superman to deal with several of them at once.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #300
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Plus, IF they had an Robot Army as minions, then that could allow them to show Superman to let loose without having to worry about killing his opponent since they won't be sentient beings. They're strong enough to be a issue for Earth's forces, but weak enough for Superman to deal with several of them at once.
......and Superman vs Robots never gets old to watch ever since the flescher cartoon.
Heres the cartoon link for your enjoyment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Wd3225Vjw

Off topic,looks like Cavills costume as the same colors as the flescier supes in that video.Dark and dynamic

Closed Thread