The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #301
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Plus, IF they had an Robot Army as minions, then that could allow them to show Superman to let loose without having to worry about killing his opponent since they won't be sentient beings. They're strong enough to be a issue for Earth's forces, but weak enough for Superman to deal with several of them at once.
Agreed

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 12-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #302
elgaz
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 21

Zod's a military man, through and through. That's how he's always been presented. His approach is naturally not to settle for second best, or to bow to demands, or to give up. His homeworld is destroyed, so IMO his motivation is simple now : survival of the fittest. He finds a world (Earth) with a species (humans) who he considers backward; they lack the advanced technology or genetics of Kryptonians. He's a man used to employing force to achieve his means, so why would he choose to co-exist with humans when he has all the power he needs to destroy them or rule over them and take the planet for himself?

Clark on the other hand was brought up amongst us, and treasures/respects humanity. He is humble, despite his God-like powers.

That to me will be the central theme of the difference in opinions between Clark & Zod. They're survivors of a dead planet, essentially the last of their race, and should be treating each other like brothers. Yet they will always be at odds because Zod wants to destroy humanity, whilst Clark wants to serve it.

It's a compelling and timeless relationship which goes back as far as Cain and Abel. One was kindhearted, a shepherd who looked after his flock ................. the other, a murderer whose own ambitions were more important to him than anything else.

Last edited by elgaz; 12-14-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #303
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
One thing I don't like in the trailer is how iffy some of the CGI looks in the places. Like in that shot of the (gravity) beam. The cars and trucks and all look quite fake to me.
You have sharper eyes than I do. While I assume they didnít actually blow up a major city to get this shot (therefore, CGI), it didnít look (all 0.6 seconds of it) conspicuously CGI to me.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #304
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
Zod's a military man, through and through. That's how he's always been presented. His approach is naturally not to settle for second best, or to bow to demands, or to give up. His homeworld is destroyed, so IMO his motivation is simple now : survival of the fittest. He finds a world (Earth) with a species (humans) who he considers backward; they lack the advanced technology or genetics of Kryptonians. He's a man used to employing force to achieve his means, so why would he choose to co-exist with humans when he has all the power he needs to destroy the or rule over them and take the planet for himself?

Clark on the other hand was brought up amongst us, and treasures/respects humanity. He is humble, despite his God-like powers.

That to me will be the central theme of the difference in opinions between Clark & Zod. They're survivors of a dead planet, essentially the last of their race, and should be treating each other like brothers. Yet they will always be at odds because Zod wants to destroy humanity, whilst Clark wants to serve it.

It's a compelling and timeless relationship which goes back as far as Cain and Abel. One was kindhearted, a shepherd who looked after his flock ................. the other, a murderer whose own ambitions were more important to him than anything else.
Agreed.

I also agree with this movie needed robot soldiers or other soulless like beings that Cavill's Superman can tear apart, just pummel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
......and Superman vs Robots never gets old to watch ever since the flescher cartoon.
Heres the cartoon link for your enjoyment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Wd3225Vjw

Off topic,looks like Cavills costume as the same colors as the flescier supes in that video.Dark and dynamic
Just like this! One of my favorites. Classics. And both suits imply strength to me. Demand respect. Very well done.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 12-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #305
elgaz
Side-Kick

I'm very interested in seeing what happens to Zod at the end of this film. Superman doesn't kill (usually) so I'm wondering will Snyder do away with Zod via some other means. In Superman II a powerless Zod and his minions fell under the Fortress of Solitude, to their deaths we presume. In this one perhaps he won't die - this could be a good excuse for him to be transported to the phantom zone.

Last edited by elgaz; 12-14-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #306
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Good Question... How will Supes dispose of the threats? Too bad he can't take their powers as he own. ha

Old 12-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #307
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
......and Superman vs Robots never gets old to watch ever since the flescher cartoon.
Heres the cartoon link for your enjoyment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Wd3225Vjw

Off topic,looks like Cavills costume as the same colors as the flescier supes in that video.Dark and dynamic
Also did you watch "Superman's top 11 Awesome pushes ever!"? In one of them Braniac shoot a beam from a satellite down on Superman. He says, "Isn't it ironic... brought to your knees buy a device intended to drive the likes of me away". Hmm

Old 12-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #308
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
I'm very interested in seeing what happens to Zod at the end of this film. Superman doesn't kill (usually) so I'm wondering will Snyder do away with Zod via some other means. In Superman II a powerless Zod and his minions fell under the Fortress of Solitude, to their deaths we presume. In this one perhaps he won't die - this could be a good excuse for him to be transported to the phantom zone.
Yeah the resolution (and pretty much entire second half of the film) is a mystery. We know that Superman flys up through the anti-gravity beam presumably to destroy it. Could some advantage provided to him by Dr Emil Hamilton be the key to him defeating Zod? Kryptonite perhaps?

Old 12-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #309
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

I'm hoping they handle the villains demise in the same way they did with Spiderman 1 and 2 really - have the villain bring it on themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I also remember hearing about how they had filmed a scene in a train station that supposedly takes place in Metropolis, where it's said to have been attacked by Zod. The only question is does that take place during or before the big showdown in Metropolis? Hmm...
I remember a long time ago describing a scene I imagined of people trapped on a train and Superman saving them... If we got anything close to that i'd be a blubbering mess in the cinema

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 12-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #310
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

After letting this set in for a while, I have to say that I think Zod was probably the best choice for this movie. Originally I wanted Brainiac. Zod just fits so well in an origin piece and it also gives us the chance to learn even more about Superman's home planet. Well played, Snyder. I still expect to see Brainiac in this series!

Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #311
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Agreed completely.

And it gives you more possibilities to play with on Krypton. Instead of just showing baby Kal-els departure/the destruction of krypton, we are actually going to get Zod's origin too, and it's so easy to link those things up

Old 12-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #312
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Well here's our first glimpse of Krypton so far. Not the Coruscant that was rumored. It looks alot... darker. No sign of red sunlight. There's some kind of artificial structure there.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #313
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Agreed completely.

And it gives you more possibilities to play with on Krypton. Instead of just showing baby Kal-els departure/the destruction of krypton, we are actually going to get Zod's origin too, and it's so easy to link those things up
I'm probably setting myself up for a disappointment, but I think we may get some kind of foreshadowing or seed of Brainiac. It seems like the Krypton scenes would be the most logical place for that to me.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #314
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Well here's our first glimpse of Krypton so far. Not the Coruscant that was rumored. It looks alot... darker. No sign of red sunlight. There's some kind of artificial structure there.

Even though it's only a long shot, it has my interest. It's nice to see a change from Hoth, heh.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #315
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
i think its supposed to look like:
-dark brown dirty concrete
-organic shapes
-futuristic ships and knights with capes

Old 12-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #316
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
i think its supposed to look like:
-dark brown dirty concrete
-organic shapes
-futuristic ships and knights with capes
Yeah not quite the colorful futuristic heaven it's been portrayed as in the comics from the Silver-age and brought back in the New 52.

Edit: Added example.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #317
HighFivingMF
Welp.

They said it would have a neo-medieval feel a while back.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #318
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

So is there a definitive look for Krypton or its sister planet as shown in the comics?

I really only remember the look from the cartoons.

I don't mind a futuristic alien medieval look. I think that would be cool, kind of how Thor's Asgard had an alien futuristic viking look.

I just hope that Krypton isn't dark and gray, like Bay's TF cybertron in the first film.

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)

Last edited by Midnight Black; 12-14-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #319
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Black View Post
So is there a definitive look for Krypton or it's sister planet as shown in the comics?

I really only remember the look from the cartoons.

I don't mind a futuristic alien medieval look. I think that would be cool, kind of how Thor's Asgard had an alien futuristic viking look.

I just hope that Krypton isn't dark and gray, like Bay's TF cybertron in the first film.
I'm with you. Advanced doesn't need to look gritty.

I'm very impressed with how Asgard translated to the big screen. We don't need anything that outlandish, but something with visuals that are equally impressive.

JJ Abrams' Naboo was an idea that I liked for a while, but it's wearing off on me.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #320
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
But I've also never been impressed by anything Double Negative have done and I hear that and a few other shots the trailer are their work. Should have gone for ILM.
WETA is also doing some work on MOS, but Joe Letteri says their involvement 'sets the basis for the story to move forward' (aka the Krypton scenes). MPC and Double Negative are handling the bulk of the CGI work.

And even if WB wanted ILM, they're all wrapped up with doing other films (particularly Pacific Rim). There is a limit to how many films a visual effects house can reasonably handle.

Besides, I think most of the shots look really good (outside of the few you mentioned). The Superman flying shots look fantastic, much better than Sony Pictures Imageworks did for SR.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 12-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #321
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Perhaps Superman will be responsible to some degree of Lex's uprising in power. What if the destruction of the city is a proponent for Lex to appear and rebuild Metropolis?Also in the Superman take off scene, can we assume he just got his suit from the FOS and he takes off so strongly because it is the first time in the costume we see him fly?

Old 12-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #322
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSha View Post
That last scene with Superman and Lois Lane in the trailer, I don't see Henry Cavill or Clark Kent. I see Superman. I'm still wondering how they'll further try to differentiate the look of Clark and Superman so that it's believable that no one in the Daily Planet would be suspicious

Like when you put the two pictures together

The slicked back hair really makes a difference
I feel like his hair as Clark in that pic fits better for Superman, and the hair for Superman fits better for Clark in a way. It is kind of like what they did on Lois and Clark tv show. eh

Old 12-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #323
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeXcalibur View Post
smh saw this on facebook. really? an article that superman needs to smile on film? ... wow

http://www.dcwarnerbros.com/why-so-serious/
I think it is a good point that with marketing they should show him have a lighter moment or two. It mentions Clark/Superman but have we seen any of the characters smile?

Old 12-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #324
JOE
____#BringHomeSpidey____

What's the whole "Superman punching someone in the face" thing about? Is there any truth to that or was that just a big rumour?

"You see... Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All you need is a little push!"

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 12-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #325
UaalaDan
Banned User

I think Krypton is going to look similar to the flyby concept art.

BTW, did somebody notice this? We can see Jonathan Kent on the right. He's wearing the same clothes of the set pic:

Last edited by UaalaDan; 12-14-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Closed Thread