The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #951
sup101
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 21

If superman let a comedy movie with a 25 million dollar budget beat him at the box office , then he don't need to exist no more.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #952
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 21

I guess we'll have a better idea if that The End of the World trailer gets over 20M views in a week or not.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #953
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
No. June is fine.
You don't agree Mid-July would be a better date for it? Ignoring Pacific Rim and Wolverine.

Spill

Old 12-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #954
sup101
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
I guess we'll have a better idea if that The End of the World trailer gets over 20M views in a week or not.
It aint coming no where near that number.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #955
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
You don't agree Mid-July would be a better date for it? Ignoring Pacific Rim and Wolverine.
Not anymore I don't. Look at June. There's damn near nothing else that looks to be formidable competition.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:39 AM   #956
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Not anymore I don't. Look at June. There's damn near nothing else that looks to be formidable competition.
Well let's assume that World War Z and The End of the World both suck. Is it possible for MOS and Monsters University to make money coincidently?

How will it go at the BO? Making a guess here...

June 14-20
1 - MOS - $100M(?)
2 - The End of the World - $30M(?)

June 21-28
1 - Monsters University - ~$150M (there is no doubt this will happen)
2 - MOS - $75M
3 - World War Z - $30M
4 - The End of the World - $15M

That is best case scenario for MOS.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #957
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

Wouldn't bank on Monsters University doing great just yet.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:42 AM   #958
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Dude it's a sequel to one of the most popular movies of all-time.

Edit: Toy story 3 grossed $167.6M in first week. http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2835&p=.htm

Last edited by Smallville13; 12-21-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:48 AM   #959
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
I'm waiting to see how Monsters Inc 3D does at the box office, before i guess how big of an impact University will have.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:50 AM   #960
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

It's a prequel for one (and those are always iffy) and its twelve years later. Also you must have missed the 3D reissue of Monsters Inc bombing. It only just happened.

It's a well-liked and successful film but one of the most popular of all-time? Stop.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:53 AM   #961
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
It's a prequel for one (and those are always iffy) and its twelve years later. Also you must have missed the 3D reissue of Monsters Inc bombing. It only just happened.

It's a well-liked and successful film but one of the most popular of all-time? Stop.
Oh it's been released in 3d already ? Alright lol, I obviously pay alot of attention.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:11 AM   #962
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:

Well I certainly think it is. And IMDb thinks so: http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

None of the 3D releases have been super successful. Not Titanic 3D's domestic, nor Star Wars Episode I. It is hardly a good yardstick for how popular the franchises are.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:22 AM   #963
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Quote:
Well let's assume that World War Z and The End of the World both suck. Is it possible for MOS and Monsters University to make money coincidently?

How will it go at the BO? Making a guess here...

June 14-20
1 - MOS - $100M(?)
2 - The End of the World - $30M(?)

June 21-28
1 - Monsters University - ~$150M (there is no doubt this will happen)
2 - MOS - $75M
3 - World War Z - $30M
4 - The End of the World - $15M

That is best case scenario for MOS.
Edit: Never mind. I misread the dates.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
Old 12-21-2012, 03:06 AM   #964
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

MU will do really well that's why Man of Steel needs a killer opening along with rave reviews etc

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 12-21-2012, 03:19 AM   #965
sup101
Side-Kick

MU will do decent.Monster inc made 62 million in it's opening weekend in 2001.

No way it make 150 million in it's opening weekend tho.

Comparing MonstersUniversity to toy story.That's funny.Toy story is in another universe.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:24 AM   #966
sup101
Side-Kick

Ok Let's get back on topic.This is a all things superman thread.If you wanna talk about the box office, make a box office thread.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:28 AM   #967
Liam_H
Side-Kick

No way MU is making that much OW for the simple fact that its animated film, it'll be lucky to even hit a $100 million. Its a family film that is more spread out, not the fan rush we have for the mega openers. Toy Story 3 is one if not the most beloved and it couldn't approach that.

Also, MOS opening with $100 million will not make $75 million its second weekend. This is not gonna be the 2nd coming of Avatar.

Spill

Old 12-21-2012, 03:54 AM   #968
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup101 View Post
If superman let a comedy movie with a 25 million dollar budget beat him at the box office , then he don't need to exist no more.
If people like It, it will do well. Regardless budget or big brand name.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:45 AM   #969
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
No way MU is making that much OW for the simple fact that its animated film, it'll be lucky to even hit a $100 million. Its a family film that is more spread out, not the fan rush we have for the mega openers. Toy Story 3 is one if not the most beloved and it couldn't approach that.

Also, MOS opening with $100 million will not make $75 million its second weekend. This is not gonna be the 2nd coming of Avatar.
$50M? Is the drop-off usually 50%? I'm no expert. Ok so $150M for opening week of MU is too high? We all agree that MU will beat MOS in the BO though right? It should at least make $100M.

Is it unrealistic to think that MOS can pull off $150-200M in it's first week?

Quote:
Ok Let's get back on topic.This is a all things superman thread.If you wanna talk about the box office, make a box office thread.
It's an open discussion. Nothing is really off-topic here unless it doesn't relate to MOS. Unless I'm mistaken, mods?

Old 12-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #970
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Comparing MonstersUniversity to toy story.That's funny.Toy story is in another universe.
Bingo.

Quote:
It's an open discussion. Nothing is really off-topic here unless it doesn't relate to MOS. Unless I'm mistaken, mods?
No, you're not. Keep talking box-office if you want. As long as it relates to Superman.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #971
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
The sad thing for me is that even though I've been a long time superman fan, I only realized a few months ago that the way Superman's powers work isn't by him just being exposed to yellow sunlight, thus instantly granting him powers to the extent that we've seen, but actually absorbing them, meaning that "time" is a factor in regards to how much time he's given when absorbing the sunlight.lol
It depends on the interpretation. In the old days, “yellow sun” was an instantaneous “on switch.” When Supergirl made her first appearance in ’59, she flew out of her spaceship fully powered. For that matter, when Supes visited “red sun” worlds (including Krypton via time travel) they were an instant “off switch” (and back on again when he returned to Earth).

However, in STM it was strongly implied that superpowers took time to accumulate. In Smallville, this was explicit. (I’m not sure what direction the comics took during this period.)

Either one is fine, imo. The trick is to remain consistent with whatever interpretation is chosen. If it takes young Clark years to develop his abilities, then the Kryptonian criminal (who inevitably shows up) should face the same obstacle. Admittedly, a villain who has to wait a decade or so until he’s powerful enough to take on Supes isn’t that interesting. If that’s the concern, then instant “on-off” is the way to go.

That said, I predict MOS will fudge this (just as SII and Smallville did).

Old 12-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #972
Smallville13
Side-Kick

I can't tell if people are just being defensive of MOS and poo pooing MU, or people really think MOS will dominate in June at the BO. If it's the latter than I'm excited!

Old 12-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #973
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

I think MOS will make more than MU, how much I don't know but I have a strong feeling it'll be this summers breakout hit.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 12-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #974
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Quote:
I can't tell if people are just being defensive of MOS and poo pooing MU, or people really think MOS will dominate in June at the BO. If it's the latter than I'm excited!
I actually have some pretty high expectations because a lot of people that I've spoken with outside of the comic world seem to expect it to be like the Dark Knight with Superman. That's obviously not the case, but if people are expecting something like that then it's should have a strong opening. The rest is up to the quality of story.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #975
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
It depends on the interpretation. In the old days, “yellow sun” was an instantaneous “on switch.” When Supergirl made her first appearance in ’59, she flew out of her spaceship fully powered. For that matter, when Supes visited “red sun” worlds (including Krypton via time travel) they were an instant “off switch” (and back on again when he returned to Earth).

However, in STM it was strongly implied that superpowers took time to accumulate. In Smallville, this was explicit. (I’m not sure what direction the comics took during this period.)

Either one is fine, imo. The trick is to remain consistent with whatever interpretation is chosen. If it takes young Clark years to develop his abilities, then the Kryptonian criminal (who inevitably shows up) should face the same obstacle. Admittedly, a villain who has to wait a decade or so until he’s powerful enough to take on Supes isn’t that interesting. If that’s the concern, then instant “on-off” is the way to go.

That said, I predict MOS will fudge this (just as SII and Smallville did).
You also have to consider that puberty and things like that may also play apart in how fast super powers develop. A kid Clark had strength and speed, but we never saw him fly in STM in SR he could jump really far if I remember correctly. So it is also possible that not only time under a yellow sun can strengthen powers, but the maturity of the Kryptonian as well.

That's how I understood it as Smallville explaining in the first couple of seasons that as Clark matured rather than spent more time he could develop additional/stronger powers etc.

IMO there are many ways to explain the power levels, difference in power levels or how they work in regards to Superman/Kryptonians. As you say it could be an instant "off/on," or time spent absorbing, and/or puberty.

I agree though, anyway they explain it needs to be consistent and not lead to a deus ex machina.

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)
Closed Thread